• 395,529 Topics
• 22,308 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion  (Read 4767 times)

Cinco de Hogo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 05:36:38 pm »

Morris is getting a lot more help, in terms of returning offensive production, than Petrino had his first season.

Petrino inherited very little rushing experience for the 2008 season. Michael Smith, Brandon Barnett and London Crawford had a grand total of 74 rushes for 509 yards and 4 TD's combined.

As far as receptions and receiving yards go, he inherited 9 players with a combined 51 receptions for 733 yards and 9 TD's.

Morris is walking into a situation where he inherits 8 players who rushed for a combined 296 times for 1391 yards and 14 TD's last year.

In terms of receptions and receiving yards he gets to start out with 15 players who had a combined 175 receptions last year for 2231 yards and 16 TD's.

So Morris is going to have a bigger head-start than Petrino had when he arrived and was converting a run based offense to a passing offense. I believe that he has a chance to do more than Petrino was able to accomplish in his first year simply due to having far more seasoned contributors at his disposal on offense. Chavis will have to take care of the defense.

This stuff is so easy to understand it makes you wonder why someone needs to point it out...but you do, need to that is.

However I also understand that stats my predict outcomes but they don’t gaurntee them.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 05:55:49 pm »

This stuff is so easy to understand it makes you wonder why someone needs to point it out...but you do, need to that is.

However I also understand that stats my predict outcomes but they don’t gaurntee them.

Well of course there aren't any guarantees. We have no idea what is going to occur in terms of losses due to injury, grades, etc. between now and the season. But it is clear that Morris was dealt a better hand to begin with than Petrino was and BP managed to take what he had been dealt and go 5-7 with two conference wins. While competition levels in the SEC West may have changed since that time, I still think that Morris might be able to do exactly what he said Arkansas would do, surprise some people.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 06:05:34 pm »

I thought he was hired because Jerry Jones wanted him...is that one and the same thing?

Jerry might have had an influence but he wasn't the reason Chad was hired.

HeathWimp

• All-American Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 06:42:32 pm »

To answer the question posed by the OP, Chad Morris got a big promotion because a cabal within the BOT thought we had a chance of landing Malazahn, which was folly.  Since we'd already committed to paying 20 million in buyouts to Bert and Integrity, we had to find someone, and Morris was it.  Only Arkansas would reject a hot commodity like Norvell due to (legal) gambling and (presumably legal) Private pictures.

For the next four months, we will be subjected to mental gymnastics not only justifying the hire, but proudly proclaiming how he was the one that we wanted all along.  Some of this is simply blind homerism, some delusion by people who have some sort of pro-Morris agenda.  We're looking at a rough Year 1 for Morris, regardless of what some think here.

I'm on record stating my belief that this hire was a mistake.  I think Morris will be under 0.500 after 3 years, and will be run out of town.  I don't see him getting a 5 year rebuild like Bert.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not encouraged by Morris's prior accomplishments, nor his lackluster recruiting to date.

In the meatime, I think Norvell or Kiffin get snatched up by a major program after next year, will be winning 9 or 10 games in Year 2 at their new places, and we'll be left wondering why we passed on them for a guy with a losing record at his only coaching job.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:17 pm »

To answer the question posed by the OP, Chad Morris got a big promotion because a cabal within the BOT thought we had a chance of landing Malazahn, which was folly.  Since we'd already committed to paying 20 million in buyouts to Bert and Integrity, we had to find someone, and Morris was it.  Only Arkansas would reject a hot commodity like Norvell due to (legal) gambling and (presumably legal) Private pictures.

For the next four months, we will be subjected to mental gymnastics not only justifying the hire, but proudly proclaiming how he was the one that we wanted all along.  Some of this is simply blind homerism, some delusion by people who have some sort of pro-Morris agenda.  We're looking at a rough Year 1 for Morris, regardless of what some think here.

I'm on record stating my belief that this hire was a mistake.  I think Morris will be under 0.500 after 3 years, and will be run out of town.  I don't see him getting a 5 year rebuild like Bert.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not encouraged by Morris's prior accomplishments, nor his lackluster recruiting to date.

In the meatime, I think Norvell or Kiffin get snatched up by a major program after next year, will be winning 9 or 10 games in Year 2 at their new places, and we'll be left wondering why we passed on them for a guy with a losing record at his only coaching job.

Stopped reading right your whole post right there.

"Only Arkansas," eh?

Didn't know we were the only P5 team who hired a new head coach/passed on Norvell this offseason.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:55 pm »

Morris is getting a lot more help, in terms of returning offensive production, than Petrino had his first season.

Petrino inherited very little rushing experience for the 2008 season. Michael Smith, Brandon Barnett and London Crawford had a grand total of 74 rushes for 509 yards and 4 TD's combined.

As far as receptions and receiving yards go, he inherited 9 players with a combined 51 receptions for 733 yards and 9 TD's.

Morris is walking into a situation where he inherits 8 players who rushed for a combined 296 times for 1391 yards and 14 TD's last year.

In terms of receptions and receiving yards he gets to start out with 15 players who had a combined 175 receptions last year for 2231 yards and 16 TD's.

So Morris is going to have a bigger head-start than Petrino had when he arrived and was converting a run based offense to a passing offense. I believe that he has a chance to do more than Petrino was able to accomplish in his first year simply due to having far more seasoned contributors at his disposal on offense. Chavis will have to take care of the defense.

Agree

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 06:50:34 pm »

Stopped reading right your whole post right there.

"Only Arkansas," eh?

Didn't know we were the only P5 team who hired a new head coach/passed on Norvell this offseason.

We were the only one that passed on Norvell. He turned Ole Miss down and told 3 other Universities (including Tennessee) not to bother offering. He wanted the Arkansas job.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 06:55:17 pm »

We were the only one that passed on Norvell. He turned Ole Miss down and told 3 other Universities (including Tennessee) not to bother offering. He wanted the Arkansas job.

If Norvell actually said that, I'd like to read the quote. I only ask because I'm not sure that I have seen where he told other programs that he wasn't interested because he only wanted the Arkansas job. Got a link, Guv?

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2018, 06:56:53 pm »

The sky is purple. It is, and you have to believe me because I said so. I don't have to give you any proof or evidence, either.

The sky is purple. You're wrong if you say otherwise.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2018, 06:58:15 pm »

If Norvell actually said that, I'd like to read the quote. I only ask because I'm not sure that I have seen where he told other programs that he wasn't interested because he only wanted the Arkansas job. Got a link, Guv?

A link?  From guv?  Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2018, 07:03:52 pm »

The sky is purple. It is, and you have to believe me because I said so. I don't have to give you any proof or evidence, either.

The sky is purple. You're wrong if you say otherwise.

I have family members and friends in Memphis who are acquainted with coach Morris and his family. I know where the crap that was said about him came from and I know why he didn't get the Arkansas job. If you'd rather believe the lies you have been told, that's no skin off of my teeth.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2018, 07:06:36 pm »

I have family members and friends in Memphis who are acquainted with coach Morris and his family. I know where the crap that was said about him came from and I know why he didn't get the Arkansas job. If you'd rather believe the lies you have been told, that's no skin off of my teeth.

Yeah well, I am Mike Norvell.

Surprise.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2018, 07:10:13 pm »

Yeah well, I am Mike Norvell.

Surprise.

I’d actually believe this before I’d believe Guv. 

rhames

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2018, 07:10:49 pm »

Does he let them ride in the lambo....LAMBO?

I'm assuming you meant norvell and not Morris

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2018, 07:11:08 pm »

Jerry might have had an influence but he wasn't the reason Chad was hired.

You're wrong.

There were 4 people in play for this job.

Chad Morris
Gus Malzahn
Lane Kiffin

Tim Horton.

Gus was the first choice by alot of them..  Lane had the interim AD in his pocket and Chad had Jerry. Once Gus turned the job down, Jerry got his man.

PRJ

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2018, 07:12:20 pm »

And I am still waiting for the link. I'd appreciate it if you could provide that for all of us.

ricepig

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2018, 07:13:41 pm »

A link?  From guv?  Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Well, Guv could just provide you a link to his post on HV, come on, try to believe!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 07:14:42 pm »

I’d actually believe this before I’d believe Guv. 

Believe what you want. There is a reason that Hunter Yuracheck was told to stay out of the coaching search when he was hired. The Gus huggers on the hill had a plan and they didn't want anyone derailing it. Congrats to them for winning the day.

rhames

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »

This isn't true at all. Tennessee coaching search was such an embarrassment and Norvell's name wasnt even mentioned. He was in play at Ole Miss but background check didn't come back peachy so they backed off.

rhames

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2018, 07:17:23 pm »

Believe what you want. There is a reason that Hunter Yuracheck was told to stay out of the coaching search when he was hired. The Gus huggers on the hill had a plan and they didn't want anyone derailing it. Congrats to them for winning the day.

Ummm
because he was literally hired the day before we hired Morris. Morris was pretty much a done deal when Hunter was hired. There was no search for him to be a part of.

This was barely 6 months ago.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2018, 07:20:26 pm »

This isn't true at all. Tennessee coaching search was such an embarrassment and Norvell's name wasnt even mentioned. He was in play at Ole Miss but background check didn't come back peachy so they backed off.

Totally FALSE. He turned Ole Miss down and told Tennessee not to bother offering.

rhames

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:20 pm »

Totally FALSE. He turned Ole Miss down and told Tennessee not to bother offering.

But he didn't lol

You are just posting rumors that you read on here.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2018, 07:22:32 pm »

Ummm
because he was literally hired the day before we hired Morris. Morris was pretty much a done deal when Hunter was hired. There was no search for him to be a part of.

This was barely 6 months ago.

Again, not true. Yuracheck was hired a few days before Chad Morris, not the day before.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2018, 07:22:47 pm »

"Pls don't offer me millions of dollars to coach at ur skool."

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2018, 07:25:03 pm »

But he didn't lol

Nope, what I said is true and I didn't get it from anyone on here.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »

Look, you can't provide anything factual or verifiable so just stop while you are ahead. Let's get back to the topic and the article speaks specifically to why Morris was hired over other candidates. Let's keep the discussion to Morris instead of "hearsay" about other coaches who are not our HC.

ricepig

rhames

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2018, 07:27:44 pm »

Again, not true. Yuracheck was hired a few days before Chad Morris, not the day before.

Morris was already in negotiations at that point. There was no search for Yuracheck fo be a part of 

Carry on

ricepig

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2018, 07:28:42 pm »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2018, 07:37:13 pm »

Look, you can't provide anything factual or verifiable so just stop while you are ahead. Let's get back to the topic and the article speaks specifically to why Morris was hired over other candidates. Let's keep the discussion to Morris instead of "hearsay" about other coaches who are not our HC.

All I did was post the truth about why Morris got the big promotion that he got. I can't help it if some get offended by the truth when it isn't the version they were led to believe.

As I stated earlier, I believe Chad Morris will be very successful at Arkansas and he has my total support.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2018, 07:40:05 pm »

All I did was post the truth about why Morris got the big promotion that he got. I can't help it if some get offended by the truth when it isn't the version they were led to believe.

As I stated earlier, I believe Chad Morris will be very successful at Arkansas and he has my total support.

You are full of crap. You know it. We know it. Just stop.

rhames

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2018, 07:40:51 pm »

No one is offended, we just don't believe you.

I do truly believe you believe what you posted though.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »

I still don’t believe you’re real. 

rhames

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2018, 07:47:37 pm »

I question it all the time. Would be the greatest troll effort I'd ever seen.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »

I'm very much real. Lanny has met me at a couple of Hogville luncheons and he can attest to that.

When Chad Morris was first hired, I didn't like it at all but after I heard him speak, listened to him talk to the players, and saw the staff he hired, I began to realize that Arkansas may have just found their "Diamond in the Rough". I like the guy.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net

hogfan992

• Walk-On
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2018, 08:55:05 pm »

But he didn't lol

There was a rumor about that?

rhames

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:54 pm »

There was a rumor about that?

Yes. On this board during the search.

hogfan992

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2018, 09:08:46 pm »

Yes. On this board during the search.
I never saw it lol. It's interesting though

rhames

« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2018, 09:11:41 pm »

I never saw it lol. It's interesting though

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it being true. People tend to post made up garbage during coaching searches. That's all it was. It was supposed to be from a poster who "knew" norvell. It was bs.

hogfan992

• Walk-On
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it being true. People tend to post made up garbage during coaching searches. That's all it was. It was supposed to be from a poster who "knew" norvell. It was bs.
Yeah a lot of things went on during the search that were made up. I honestly thought it was a done deal that Norvell would come during the plane tracking stuff.

jkstock04

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2018, 11:06:04 pm »

To the OP, the Swinney endorsement is simply a homer coach speak deal. Not much to see there. Billy Donavon claimed (and probably still does) that John Pelphery is one of the greatest coaches in all of college basketball. How is that working out?

I'm one that sees the record at SMU as a negative. And I'm also one that does judge coaches on their win/loss record. Not saying that will happen here, but I don't view the SMU stint as a major positive mark on the resume like a lot of people here will spin up.

I would say his "promotion" to here had mostly to do with Jerry Jones, the Texas connections, and his engaging all out personality. That and Malzahn turning us down.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2018, 12:21:36 am »

But he didn't lol

yes, he did.

rhames

« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2018, 07:24:01 am »

yes, he did.

Sure just like he is coaching the Razorbacks in 2018, am I right?

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2018, 08:03:24 am »

I'm very much real. Lanny has met me at a couple of Hogville luncheons and he can attest to that.

When Chad Morris was first hired, I didn't like it at all but after I heard him speak, listened to him talk to the players, and saw the staff he hired, I began to realize that Arkansas may have just found their "Diamond in the Rough". I like the guy.

I agree with this post. I did not know jack about Coach Morris and was also bothered by his record at SMU. As you said Guv after listening to him, his football knowledge, how he interacts with players and staff hires I do like him. I also feel he will make changes in staff as needed to get the results he wants. Bret kept coaches that did not produce and you can never convince me that it takes two years for a receivers coach to have his players running the correct routes or an OL coach that can't get players to get their blocking schemes down. As we all know we will see and I hope for the best.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2018, 08:30:27 am »

Sure just like he is coaching the Razorbacks in 2018, am I right?

How many people does it take to corroborate what I said for you to finally have the guts to admit that you are wrong???

rhames

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2018, 08:36:34 am »

How many people does it take to corroborate what I said for you to finally have the guts to admit that you are wrong???

So one person, who was wrong during the whole thing, is proof of what you are saying is true?

When the likelyhood of both of you reading it here, heck pokey may have been the one who said it from the get go back in December, is the most likely scenario.

You, on countless times,  have had a tendency to get caught up in rumors and believe whatever is posted here then turn around and declare it as fact. Often times using hogville as your "source."

As I have said, i like you. And i truly believe you love the hogs but this isn't an argument you have any grounds or ammunition to win.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2018, 08:51:25 am »

So one person, who was wrong during the whole thing, is proof of what you are saying is true?

When the likelyhood of both of you reading it here, heck pokey may have been the one who said it from the get go back in December, is the most likely scenario.

You, on countless times,  have had a tendency to get caught up in rumors and believe whatever is posted here then turn around and declare it as fact. Often times using hogville as your "source."

As I have said, i like you. And i truly believe you love the hogs but this isn't an argument you have any grounds or ammunition to win.

I've been burned several times by sources I trusted so it's made me more cautious about believing everything I hear or read. The information I posted in this thread didn't come from Hogville or from anyone affiliated with it.  It came from people I trust who live n Memphis and even I was skeptical when they told me. I asked them for proof and they gave it to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas