• 395,529 Topics
• 22,308 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion  (Read 4766 times)

rhames

Re: Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2018, 08:53:07 am »

I've been burned several times by sources I trusted so it's made me more cautious about believing everything I hear or read. The information I posted in this thread didn't come from Hogville or from anyone affiliated with it.  It came from people I trust who live n Memphis and even I was skeptical when they told me. I asked them for proof and they gave it to me.

What was the proof?  What did they show you that said he turned down Ole Miss and told Tennessee not to bother?

Is this like the time the dude on here was "talking to Gruden's wife?"

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:23 am »

What was the proof?  What did they show you that said he turned down Ole Miss and told Tennessee not to bother?

I know nothing about Gruden's wife nor have I posted anything about her or him.

The proof was given to me on the condition that I not reveal it or the name of the person who provided it. To do so could cost someone their job.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jkstock04

« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2018, 09:00:30 am »

It was beyond obvious (to me at least) he was wanting and waiting for the Arkansas job. The timing of the contract extension/raise made it so. Same exact scenario with Malzahn in 2013.

The history of our program is high comedy when it comes to coaches. If they are good, and win some ball games they are fired/run off. If they want the job and we turn them down often times they go elsewhere to be highly successful.

rhames

« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:13 am »

I know nothing about Gruden's wife nor have I posted anything about her or him.

The proof was given to me on the condition that I not reveal it or the name of the person who provided it. To do so could cost someone their job.

you could at least say what the proof was

I'm betting you saw screen shots of "texts." 

rhames

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2018, 09:07:26 am »

It was beyond obvious (to me at least) he was wanting and waiting for the Arkansas job. The timing of the contract extension/raise made it so. Same exact scenario with Malzahn in 2013.

The history of our program is high comedy when it comes to coaches. If they are good, and win some ball games they are fired/run off. If they want the job and we turn them down often times they go elsewhere to be highly successful.

I'm not saying Norvell did or didn't want our job. Common sense says he did. Arkansas is a better job than Memphis. However, common sense says it would be incredibly stupid for him to turn down an sec job and flat out tell another sec job, one that is known to be elite, to not even bother without having any kind of actual offer from Arkansas.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2018, 09:18:33 am »

I'm not saying Norvell did or didn't want our job. Common sense says he did. Arkansas is a better job than Memphis. However, common sense says it would be incredibly stupid for him to turn down an sec job and flat out tell another sec job, one that is known to be elite, to not even bother without having any kind of actual offer from Arkansas.

Why is it so hard for you to believe he wanted the Arkansas job above all other college HC jobs when his wife is from Fort Smith (her parents and family still live there) and the Norvells own a home on Beaver Lake??

rhames

« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2018, 09:38:16 am »

Why is it so hard for you to believe he wanted the Arkansas job above all other college HC jobs when his wife is from Fort Smith (her parents and family still live there) and the Norvells own a home on Beaver Lake??

That wasn't what I said at all.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:38 am »

That wasnt what I said at all.

It's what I have been saying.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2018, 09:42:17 am »

Totally FALSE. He turned Ole Miss down and told Tennessee not to bother offering.

Or maybe those two schools told him the weren’t going to offer. Different view of the same situation. Sometimes it all depends on which side you’re on. Saying what you are saying is just as likely PR from the Norvell camp as it is truth. You don’t exactly instill confidence for people to believe you when you post as you have over the years.

rhames

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2018, 09:43:41 am »

It's what I have been saying.

You are saying that he turned ole miss down and told Tennessee not to bother. That you have seen "proof" of this

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2018, 09:48:53 am »

I've been burned several times by sources I trusted so it's made me more cautious about believing everything I hear or read. The information I posted in this thread didn't come from Hogville or from anyone affiliated with it.  It came from people I trust who live n Memphis and even I was skeptical when they told me. I asked them for proof and they gave it to me.

I live in a Memphis suburb. My wife works at a company for some higher ups that are big tiger supporters. Should I give you their version.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2018, 09:49:15 am »

You are saying that he turned ole miss down and told Tennessee not to bother. That you have seen "proof" of this

He did both because he was waiting on the Arkansas job. He described the Arkansas job as a destination job for him. A career job that he could eventually retire from. He wanted to make NWA a home for his family and raise his daughter there.

rhames

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:51 am »

He did both because he was waiting on the Arkansas job. He described the Arkansas job as a destination job for him. A career job that he could eventually retire from. He wanted to make NWA a home for his family and raise his daughter there.

Lol

You still haven't said what the proof is that you saw that he turned Ole Miss down and told Tennessee not to bother

It's funny because all the things you are saying are things people were throwing around during the coaching search without any kind of evidence.  I suspect that you're just repeating like per your MO.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2018, 09:54:06 am »

Not hard to believe he wanted the Arkansas job above those for different reasons. However it is damn hard to believe he told them specifically not to bother offering. I can believe if he or his representatives were in discussions with them that he might like to be given more time to see IF Arkansas was an option or not. Those scenarios have been known to happen in other places and most schools are not going to wait depending on the canididates involved. Then the candidate not getting the job puts out spin to make themselves not look bad.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2018, 09:54:51 am »

Lol

You still haven't said what the proof is that you saw that he turned Ole Miss down and told Tennessee not to bother

And I'm not going to because I was sworn to secrecy.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2018, 09:57:11 am »

Says one kid to another.................I have a secret I’m not telling. haha!

rhames

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2018, 09:58:34 am »

Of course you were.

I'm assuming you saw screen shots of texts and just fell for it.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2018, 10:00:26 am »

Not hard to believe he wanted the Arkansas job above those for different reasons. However it is damn hard to believe he told them specifically not to bother offering. I can believe if he or his representatives were in discussions with them that he might like to be given more time to see IF Arkansas was an option or not. Those scenarios have been known to happen in other places and most schools are not going to wait depending on the canididates involved. Then the candidate not getting the job puts out spin to make themselves not look bad.

After Norvell turned Ole Miss down, Tennessee was about to make Norvell a lucrative offer but he told them not to bother. That's why when they couldn't get a good active HC, they were forced to settle for an assistant coach.

It was the Ole Miss people who started the stuff about Norvell's character after he turned their job down.

rhames

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:36 am »

After Norvell turned Ole Miss down, Tennessee was about to make Norvell a lucrative offer but he told them not to bother. That's why when they couldn't get a good active HC, they were forced to settle for an assistant coach.

Haha. Thier first choice was an assistant coach. Their fans went crazy because of the Penn State connection.

Everything you are saying was just trash and speculation during the search.

rhames

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2018, 10:03:43 am »

It was the Ole Miss people who started the stuff about Norvell's character after he turned their job down.

Yep.  You're literally just posting stuff pokey said which he read on sec rant.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:40:34 pm by rhames »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2018, 10:05:10 am »

Of course you were.

I'm assuming you saw screen shots of texts and just fell for it.

Assume all you want but it isn't true.

rhames

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2018, 10:06:25 am »

Assume all you want but it isn't true.

So what was it? Saying what you saw gives nothing away.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

Yep.  You're literally just posting stuff pokey asid which he read on sec rant.

Nope, in addition to what I learned from my source, The fact that Norvell turned down Ole Miss was talked about on here a great deal during the coaching search and a couple of posters posted links confirming it.

rhames

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2018, 10:08:46 am »

Nope, in addition to what I learned from my source, The fact that Norvell turned down Ole Miss was talked about on here a great deal during the coaching search and a couple of posters posted links confirming it.

No they didn't post links to confirm it 

There are no links to such thing.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2018, 10:11:47 am »

So what was it? Saying what you saw gives nothing away.

I told you, I got my information from relatives and friends who live in Memphis and are acquainted with the Norvell family. One of them works for the University of Memphis and if I posted the information, they would know where I got it and it would likely cost one of my sources his job.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2018, 10:12:16 am »

No they didn't post links to confirm it 

There are no links to such thing.

Yes there were.

jkstock04

« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2018, 10:13:13 am »

Not sure about that...I remember it turning into a he said she said type thing who turned who down. One version was Norvell turning them down, and sour grapes style Ole Miss started the nasty rumors because of so.

Of course the popular version on Hogville will be the opposite of that simply because he ended up not being our coach.

rhames

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:27 am »

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2018, 10:19:09 am »

ricepig

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2018, 10:22:40 am »

A Guv'd thread!

rhames

« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2018, 10:26:18 am »

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:55 am »

Double-secret probation secrecy

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2018, 01:19:13 pm »

We were the only one that passed on Norvell. He turned Ole Miss down and told 3 other Universities (including Tennessee) not to bother offering. He wanted the Arkansas job.
You are either the most informed person in all of college football, or terribly delusional about your knowledge.

I'll let the readers decide which.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2018, 01:40:05 pm »

And you have no proof he ever even turned down Old Misses. Heck at first you said he told both old misses and tenner don’t bother offering. Now you are saying Old misses offered anyway. To top it off you provide no proof no matter what of either scenario or school doing anything as you stated. That’s the kind of posting as to why nobody ever believes you.

As you know I live in a Memphis suburb. I hear stuff about both Memphis and Old Misses ALL the time. Not ONCE during their search and ours did I ever hear from either a Memphis person or Old Misses person that he turned down or was even offered by Old Misses. I know guide a few graduates and season ticket holders from both places and my wife works at FedEx corporate headquarters where some people know exactly what would be happening at both places and none told her anything. Her niece is a tenured Professor at Oxford and knows what is going on in the athletic department and she said nothing and we talk quite a bit. Believe me she has said some interesting things about them before. I once had a son of a big Booster from Old Misses that worked for me and knew everything about them and what was going on there. Never heard a word from him. All I ever heard was water cooler talk from regular fans of boththat os notice hang more than rumors or wishful thinking on their part. There are thousands of Hog fans on here all the time yet only a few actually have insight to the inner workings of what is happening in Fayetteville much less in Tennessee or Mississippi and you never provide proof you know anything anywhere. At least some of those few that might know what has or is happing anywhere has a job to try to know what is going on.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:50:12 pm by Inhogswetrust »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2018, 01:54:45 pm »

And you have no proof he ever even turned down Old Misses. Heck at first you said he told both old misses and tenner don’t bother offering. Now you are saying Old misses offered anyway. To top it off you provide no proof no matter what of either scenario or school doing anything as you stated. That’s the kind of posting as to why nobody ever believes you.

As you know I live in a Memphis suburb. I hear stuff about both Memphis and Old Misses ALL the time. Not ONCE during their search and ours did I ever hear from either a Memphis person or Old Misses person that he turned down or was even offered by Old Misses. I know guide a few graduates and season ticket holders from both places and my wife works at FedEx corporate headquarters where some people know exactly what would be happening at both places and none told her anything. Her niece is a tenured Professor at Oxford and knows what is going on in the athletic department and she said nothing and we talk quite a bit. Believe me she has said some interesting things about them before. I once had a son of a big Booster from Old Misses that worked for me and knew everything about them and what was going on there. Never heard a word from him. All I ever heard was water cooler talk from regular fans of boththat os notice hang more than rumors or wishful thinking on their part. There are thousands of Hog fans on here all the time yet only a few actually have insight to the inner workings of what is happening in Fayetteville much less in Tennessee or Mississippi and you never provide proof you know anything anywhere. At least some of those few that might know what has or is happing anywhere has a job to try to know what is going on.

I never said he told Ole Miss not to bother. I've always said he turned Ole Miss down.

I also said he told Tennessee and 2 other schools not to bother making him an offer.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2018, 01:58:06 pm »

I never said he told Ole Miss not to bother. I've always said he turned Ole Miss down.

I also said he told Tennessee and 2 other schools not to bother making him an offer.
and you are correct. screw proving anything to these contrarians. They have poorlilolearkinsaw syndrome anyway. They believe that Norvell turned us down. lol.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2018, 02:01:33 pm »

and you are correct. screw proving anything to these contrarians. They have poorlilolearkinsaw syndrome anyway. They believe that Norvell turned us down. lol.

Are you honestly gonna back guv?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2018, 02:08:57 pm »

I stand corrected on what you posted somewhat. You in fact did not say he told Old Misses not to bother. You did say he turned them down. Now that being said what is the big difference? In effect IF he turned them down that’s the same as saying don’t bother. Simply a question of timing. Either way IF he did indeed want the Arkansas job so bad then why even have to turn them down. Tell them don’t bother before they ever offer when it’s all out there rumored they want to talk to him and some “unofficial representative” might have done just that. One possible reason is because some third party makes an “offer” when it was simply a feeling out process and not an actual offer. THAT I did hear rumors of happening. That doesn’t make it a real verifiable and official offer. Also since Tennessee is the bigger program why would he turn down a smaller program and then tell a much bigger one not to bother? Yes there were rumors of a “Girl” thing and there never has been any proof of it or who said it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:57:25 am by Inhogswetrust »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2018, 02:25:40 pm »

I stand corrected 9n what you posted somewhat. You in fact did not say he told Old Misses not to bother. You did say he turned them down. Now that being said what is the big difference? In effect IF he turned them down tat s the same as saying don’t bother. Simply a question of timing. Either way IF he did indeed want the Arkansas job so bad then why even have to turn them down. Tell them don’t bother before they ever offer when it’s all out there rumored they want to talk to him and some “unofficial representative” might have done just that. One possible reason is because some third party makes an “offer” when it was simply a feeling out process and not an actual offer. THAT I did near rumors of happening. That doesn’t make it a real verifiable and official offer. Also since Tennessee is the bigger program why would he turn down a smaller program and then tell a much bigger one not to bother? Yes there were rumors of a “Girl” thing and there never has been any proof of it or who said it.

I told you why he turned down the Ole Miss job and told Tennessee not to bother offering. He wanted the Arkansas job. His wife's parents and family live in Fort Smith. He saw the Arkansas job as a destination job and as a job he could retire from. They wanted to raise their daughter in NWA. The Norvells own a home on Beaver Lake.

EastexHawg

« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2018, 02:30:16 pm »

I thought he was hired because Jerry Jones wanted him...

He was.

And...it's not going to be 20/20 hindsight in my case.  I'm up front about what I think has been done to this program.  I'm just not talking about it much anymore.  People want to believe so I think they should have at it while they still can.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2018, 02:30:44 pm »

I told you why he turned down the Ole Miss job and told Tennessee not to bother offering. He wanted the Arkansas job. His wife's parents and family live in Fort Smith. He saw the Arkansas job as a destination job and as a job he could retire from. They wanted to raise their daughter in NWA. The Norvells own a home on Beaver Lake.

Tomatoe.....Tomatow.
We all know where his wife’s family is from and where he played ball at and such. What is funny is you make it sound as if he didn’t think those other jobs couldn’t be a destination job for him where he could retire from. Especially thinking that about Tenner is laughable. To tell Tenner that hoping for a different job is really laughable. Especially not knowing for certain IF you would even get any other job or not. The better approach would be to try to be in the running for if not down right offered by Tenner which would give him a position of strength dealing with others. If he didn’t play it smart then he deserves to be stuck in that purgatory at Memphis and makes it even better we didn’t hire him.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2018, 02:35:24 pm »

I wanted Norvell, but support Morris. However, if Morris struggles Hogville will turn on him quickly. It generally starts with the insulting nickname (Hootie, Smiley, Bert), and then every catch phrase he has will be picked apart.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2018, 02:36:05 pm »

Yeah, no need for a link when unsubstantiated claims are made as if they are true. Also, who said that Norvell turned us down? If it is as you two claim, it went from wanting Gus and Gus turning us down/using us to get a raise, directly to Morris (because Morris is a Gus-clone).

You two can't seem to be satisfied with what you claim to be your personal and inside knowledge of the situation (whether factual or not) and just let it go. No, you have to hard-headedly continue to prolong the argument when no one believes you. What does it matter? If you think you are right then just rest in that knowledge and let it go.

In the absence of something in the form of a published quote, no one is going to believe it. Now if you can persuade Mike Irwin to come on here and verify what you are saying, I'll believe him in the absence of it being in print. He is a credible source who knows where a lot of the bodies are buried. But I doubt he is going to vouch for you two so just let it go. Good grief!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2018, 02:39:02 pm »

I wanted Norvell, but support Morris. However, if Morris struggles Hogville will turn on him quickly. It generally starts with the insulting nickname (Hootie, Smiley, Bert), and then every catch phrase he has will be picked apart.

Any coach that struggles is going to get that from some fans no matter where they are coaching at.

ricepig

« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2018, 03:08:14 pm »

Oh, Chad......please.....

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »

Any coach that struggles is going to get that from some fans no matter where they are coaching at.

I just have the distinct feeling that Chad isn't really going to struggle. I can't help it, I like the guy.

RowNorseRow

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2018, 05:29:22 pm »

mmmmm

Jonbo

• Varsity
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2018, 06:01:59 pm »

"Pls don't offer me millions of dollars to coach at ur skool."
Yeah! "If Arkansas won't hire me I'm gonna go live in a cave!"

OLEJACKETFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »

I remember a Ex Hog that won 1 game his first season and 3 the next year! everyone said he couldn't Coach, only had a job cause he knew Jerry Jones.  Jimmie Johnson went on to win Super Bowls!! Give CM a chance, he wont let you down.

porkrindjimmy

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2018, 12:32:32 am »

I am sorry Muskogee's thread, which is a great one got derailed.

Mike Norvell was never Seriously considered after some background things came into the picture. What those were and who started them isn't of concern. It was enough to make people brake hard when it came to Norvell.

When it was all said and done, Norvell was never higher than 4th on the list anyway and if it had got to Norvell, if there had never been any question of background things, he would have still had to fight the Timmy Horton money.

It was from the start.. 

Gus... 

Gus ..

Gus..   

Morris..
Kiffin..

It was always going to be one of those 3.

PRJ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas