• 9,934,265 Posts
• 399,440 Topics
• 22,898 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion  (Read 5208 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion
« on: June 09, 2018, 01:38:43 pm »

For all of the lack of confidence in the man, here is a reminder as to why he was hired at Arkansas and what his peers have to say about him. Is his hire a risk? Perhaps, but any coaching hire, even a big name from a program with tremendous success, is a risk, as we were recently reminded.

Let's see what he can produce before we pass judgement that this wasn't a "good enough" hire. I don't know that he is the perfect hire. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But you've got to give the guy a chance to show what he can do.

DALLAS -- Ignore the record.

Yes, it defies logic, but if you can't look beyond the wins and losses with Chad Morris, you'll never understand why he landed a good Power 5 job.

Not every on-the-rise college coaching candidate is created equal, and if it seems as if Morris is put in a different category than others in similar positions, it's true. His tenure at SMU includes eight more losses than wins, and the Mustangs finished tied for third in the AAC's West Division this season. Morris has guided SMU to bowl eligibility for the first time, but he isn't chasing championships like UCF's Scott Frost, Memphis' Mike Norvell, Boise State's Bryan Harsin, Arkansas State's Blake Anderson, Troy's Neal Brown or Toledo's Jason Candle.

All of those coaches have much better FBS records than Morris. Some, like Morris, also enjoyed success as former Power 5 offensive coordinators. Yet Morris just landed an SEC job at Arkansas, while the others listed above, outside of Frost, have not moved up yet.

The reason? A unique profile with national connections in the college game, and, more important, virtually unparalleled local connections in a state that produces more FBS talent than any other.

He also has won big everywhere but SMU. Should it excuse his 14-22 record with the Mustangs? Not completely. But Morris might be the rare candidate who simply needed to lead a college program before leading a bigger college program, rather than a coach who needed to flourish at the former to leapfrog to the latter.

"Knute Rockne could go to SMU and probably have the same record that he's got right now," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney told ESPN.com. "Chad's done a phenomenal job at SMU. You can't just look at a win-loss record. You can't. You've got to look past that. You've got to pull the curtain back and see the bigger picture."

Much, much more inside this article:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21597213/chad-morris-arkansas-razorbacks-coveted-losing-record
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:57:23 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
Re: Why a coach with a 14-22 record just got a big promotion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:55:29 pm »

I think in 3 years, almost every school that hired a new coach this past season, will be wishing they took a chance on Coach.

I could also seeing Dabo helping CCM with recruiting. For example, i can see Clemson taking only one QB but have 2/3 highly talented recruits on radar. Dabo could sign one and tell the others, give CCM a look. We're not in the same conference and could see Dabo wanting to help Coach taken on Auburn, Bama, Georgia, Texas A&M if he has a chance.

I can say one thing for certain, that with every passing day that goes by, im more happy we're giving CCM a chance.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 02:00:57 pm »

For all of the lack of confidence in the man, here is a reminder as to why he was hired at Arkansas and what his peers have to say about him. Is his hire a risk? Perhaps, but any coaching hire, even a big name from a program with tremendous success, is a risk, as we were recently reminded.

Let's see what he can produce before we pass judgement that this wasn't a "good enough" hire. I don't know that he is the perfect hire. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But you've got to give the guy a chance to show what he can do.

Yes, it defies logic, but if you can't look beyond the wins and losses with Chad Morris, you'll never understand why he landed a good Power 5 job.

Not every on-the-rise college coaching candidate is created equal, and if it seems as if Morris is put in a different category than others in similar positions, it's true. His tenure at SMU includes eight more losses than wins, and the Mustangs finished tied for third in the AAC's West Division this season. Morris has guided SMU to bowl eligibility for the first time, but he isn't chasing championships like UCF's Scott Frost, Memphis' Mike Norvell, Boise State's Bryan Harsin, Arkansas State's Blake Anderson, Troy's Neal Brown or Toledo's Jason Candle.

All of those coaches have much better FBS records than Morris. Some, like Morris, also enjoyed success as former Power 5 offensive coordinators. Yet Morris just landed an SEC job at Arkansas, while the others listed above, outside of Frost, have not moved up yet.

The reason? A unique profile with national connections in the college game, and, more important, virtually unparalleled local connections in a state that produces more FBS talent than any other.

He also has won big everywhere but SMU. Should it excuse his 14-22 record with the Mustangs? Not completely. But Morris might be the rare candidate who simply needed to lead a college program before leading a bigger college program, rather than a coach who needed to flourish at the former to leapfrog to the latter.

"Knute Rockne could go to SMU and probably have the same record that he's got right now," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney told ESPN.com. "Chad's done a phenomenal job at SMU. You can't just look at a win-loss record. You can't. You've got to look past that. You've got to pull the curtain back and see the bigger picture."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21597213/chad-morris-arkansas-razorbacks-coveted-losing-record
I've said all along that while he might not exactly have been my first choice, I agree that one has to give Chad a legitimate chance to see if he can build the program back to a competitive level. And no, I don't mean the win/loss record in the first two seasons will be the ultimate measuring stick. Not only are we going to have to play and compete hard the ENTIRE game, but we're obviously going to have to "move the sticks" when it comes to elevating the recruiting talent, most especially in Texas.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »

I think in 3 years, almost every school that hired a new coach this past season, will be wishing they took a chance on Coach.

I could also seeing Dabo helping CCM with recruiting. For example, i can see Clemson taking only one QB but have 2/3 highly talented recruits on radar. Dabo could sign one and tell the others, give CCM a look. We're not in the same conference and could see Dabo wanting to help Coach taken on Auburn, Bama, Georgia, Texas A&M if he has a chance.

I can say one thing for certain, that with every passing day that goes by, im more happy we're giving CCM a chance.
Im positive the Aggies will. But, I think he'll be like most who show up in Fayetteville from down in Texas- myself included- he'll stay. This place is like a tractor beam sucking you in.

LRrazorback

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:19:58 pm »

This is a good example of, don't take things on face value.

CCM who will be a much better coach than CBB, when comparing their records at their previous jobs, who wouldn't rather have CBB?  But, if you've done research, peeled the onion, and assessed their coaching acumen it's an easy call as to who will be the better coach.

LRRandy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 02:40:35 pm »

I think he is a good hire. I hope his style of offense and eagerness to recruit Texas translates to successful football seasons. One season building on another until the Hogs are playing meaningful games in November and December. (And maybe January too).

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 02:46:14 pm »

Another great find. Thanks for posting.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 02:57:24 pm »

Great read. Thanks Muskogee

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 03:00:03 pm »

One of my favorite quotes from this article has to do with coaching, the fraternity that it tends to be and as it relates to making inroads in recruiting across the state of Texas. He is now doing the same with coaching staffs from Arkansas and all the surrounding states...expanding the brand, expanding the footprint to try to build the program.

Worth mention is the comment by David Alexander, the HC at Broken Arrow HS in Oklahoma (the largest high school in the state). He mentioned that he hadn't seen anyone (words to that effect) from Arkansas in a long time and yet, just days after Morris was named HC, an Arkansas representative was in his office. Same was apparently true for other Tulsa area HS's.

Alexander knows a thing or two about talent. He is a former NFL Center and Guard. He played ten seasons in the National Football League for the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Jets. He played college football at the University of Tulsa and was drafted in the fifth round of the 1987 NFL Draft.

As we all know by now, the "Morris Philosophy" is proactive. Here's the quote from the article that I like the most.

All 47 players SMU signed in his first two recruiting classes came from Texas. His 2017 class included only Texas high school players, as well as three transfers from out of state. SMU has an open-door policy with high school coaches, who come in droves for out-of-season practices to pack the sidelines and chop it up with Morris.

"I'm the only head coach in this state that has sat behind that desk, both as a head high school coach and a head Division I coach, now that [former Baylor coach Art Briles] is gone," said Morris, on the 2018 ballot for the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. "I knew my connections back in this state were going to be what it would take to rebuild this program, the connections with the high school coaches. It's a big deal. It's a fraternity."

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 03:06:47 pm »

CCM who will be a much better coach than CBB, when comparing their records at their previous jobs, who wouldn't rather have CBB?  But, if you've done research, peeled the onion, and assessed their coaching acumen it's an easy call as to who will be the better coach.

If, five years ago you had stood them side by side with the resumes they had at that time, I would have taken CCM in a heartbeat. 

For the same reasons I wanted my number 1 is the reasons for CCM to be an excellent number 2 and thatís a good thing.  Just because you didnít get your number 1 doesnít mean number 2 isnít a great hire. 

Recruiting, understanding what that means at Arkansas and having an offensive scheme that is conducive to those things are where CCM shines.  A big plus to that is the addition of a great defensive staff. 

Itís going to work!

LRrazorback

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 04:20:26 pm »

If, five years ago you had stood them side by side with the resumes they had at that time, I would have taken CCM in a heartbeat. 

For the same reasons I wanted my number 1 is the reasons for CCM to be an excellent number 2 and thatís a good thing.  Just because you didnít get your number 1 doesnít mean number 2 isnít a great hire. 

Recruiting, understanding what that means at Arkansas and having an offensive scheme that is conducive to those things are where CCM shines.  A big plus to that is the addition of a great defensive staff. 

Itís going to work!

95% of people would select CBB over CCM but, I'm with you, I take CCM

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 04:37:46 pm »

95% of people would select CBB over CCM but, I'm with you, I take CCM

It's funny how hindsight tends to be 20/20. Everyone makes a better choice when given that situation. That said, no one can say at this point that Morris will be better than Bielema. I think that he will be but as the next HC up in the rotation and with everything that I have seen, read and heard of him, I'm more than willing to give him a shot before passing judgement. I think that he has every chance to be better than Bielema if for no other reasons than his offensive scheme, energy in recruiting and the addition of Chavis, but time will tell the story.

oldfart

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »

i think the hiring of chavis and bringing steve caldwell back did a lot to quell some of my concerns about morris.

wachhog

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 04:57:09 pm »

It was painfully obvious that Arkansas had to do something dramatically different after the disastrous Bielema hire. Morris is different, mainly because he is in a position to improve our recruiting. Bret couldnít even recruit and hold on to assistants, let alone the players we need.Morris may not work out but give the decision-makes an A for effort. And he comes off as soooooo much classier that the Bielemas.

LRrazorback

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 04:58:00 pm »

It's funny how hindsight tends to be 20/20. Everyone makes a better choice when given that situation. That said, no one can say at this point that Morris will be better than Bielema. I think that he will be but as the next HC up in the rotation and with everything that I have seen, read and heard of him, I'm more than willing to give him a shot before passing judgement. I think that he has every chance to be better than Bielema if for no other reasons than his offensive scheme, energy in recruiting and the addition of Chavis, but time will tell the story.

I agree but feel free to go back and check my comments.  Always thought CBB was a bad hire and never had faith he'd get it done.

However with CCM he will be somewhere between CBP and HDN, hopefully better

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 05:35:23 pm »

I agree but feel free to go back and check my comments.  Always thought CBB was a bad hire and never had faith he'd get it done.

I wasn't pointing a finger at you, just everyone in general. 20-20 hindsight is usually solid for all of us, including me.

hogsmash12

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 06:07:34 pm »

I'll take that all day long.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 06:40:19 pm »

I think we got the right guy at the time. The fact that he is a math major should tell you something, he is analytical about everything. He actually might so be obsessive about his job  that he will watch film 25 hours a day. We don't know yet.

Bobby Petrino turned this program around in three years. If CM can do anything similar, I would call this a very, very good hire.

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 06:47:28 pm »

Arkansas Folks don't realize it yet, but you have a Dick Vermell, Jimmie Johnson work ethic type in Morris!! Not saying he is anywhere near as good as them coaching wise but I know he works that hard!!

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 06:50:31 pm »

I thought cbb was a good hire. But when he could not keep assistants, I knew we were in trouble.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 07:18:35 pm »

Arkansas Folks don't realize it yet, but you have a Dick Vermell, Jimmie Johnson work ethic type in Morris!! Not saying he is anywhere near as good as them coaching wise but I know he works that hard!!

Upon first reading I thought you said Dick Vitale. Freaked me out.

(Btw I like Dickie V)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 07:34:13 pm »

We will see. I have seen a lot of dedicated HC's who spent a lot of hours at their jobs. I've seen very few who slept 4 or 5 nights out of each week during the season in the coaching offices at the stadium like Vermeil.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:30 pm »

Iíll remain cautiously optimistic at this point, which is ahead of where I was this time in 2013. 

Donít tell me, show me.

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 07:50:00 pm »

Everyone hates on CM for his SMU record. AND it was BAD! But he did a lot to turn them around. He made a huge mistake taking the SMU job, luckily he survived. Just think, had he stayed at Clemson 2 extra years, he would have been the Top Candidate everywhere . The Hogs would have never got him and a really good chance Arkansas would have been playing against him!! Count your blessings!

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 08:54:48 pm »

Everyone hates on CM for his SMU record. AND it was BAD! But he did a lot to turn them around. He made a huge mistake taking the SMU job, luckily he survived. Just think, had he stayed at Clemson 2 extra years, he would have been the Top Candidate everywhere . The Hogs would have never got him and a really good chance Arkansas would have been playing against him!! Count your blessings!
I have to agree 100% with this.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:27 pm »

I wasn't pointing a finger at you, just everyone in general. 20-20 hindsight is usually solid for all of us, including me.

Haha, I think you know I wasnít using hindsight.  I hated the Bielema hire from day one and got the Ban to prove it. 😎

The NewEra

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 10:52:45 pm »

After the Introductory Press Conference where CCM was announced I have been all in on him.  For the first time in years I thought I saw a terrific head football coach and man.  Now I'm sure he is after watching him for six months.  He's brilliant, he cares for the kids and he won't be outworked.  His staff is excellent.  He has a plan that's ambitious, media and recruit savvy, and touches on improving every aspect of Razorback Football.  Tonight's two big time recruits are a sign of the future.  Check out the Soli commitment video.  That's a brilliant branding job by the creative department CCM hired.  That will certainly resonate with high profile recruits.

What I don't understand is people want to judge him by his total W/L record at SMU, but fail to give him any credit for the stellar record he has after 16 yrs as a HS coach in Texas.  16 yrs. 6 Championship Games and Three State Championship Titles. 

I place a lot more emphasis on his 16 yr HS Coaching record than I do 3 yrs with a down and out SMU program that is much better after his three years there.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 10:56:51 pm »

Haha, I think you know I wasnít using hindsight.  I hated the Bielema hire from day one and got the Ban to prove it. 😎

Word.  I knew it was a horrible hire and got myself on thin ice too.  After 2014 I thought maybe I was wrong.  But no...

On CCM I was so sold on other candidates I didnít react well to him at first.  But unlike Bielema who I had watched and observed and knew was a bad choice, I was just ignorant about CCM.  A week or so doing research and Iíve been on board big time.  He has all the intangibles and all the right skills.  Only time will tell if he can get it done but if anyone can, I believe it will be Morris.  I literally see Morris as Frank Broyles old school coach style with Petrinoís intellect.  There are no guarantees but I think we are about to enter the next great era of Razorback football.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 11:10:01 pm »

I second that thought

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 11:20:25 pm »

I could see that too.  Swinney may help Coach Morris a lot.  Swinney wants Coach Morris to be successful, and if Clemson can't take a player Swinney will want the player to go to a good place where the player can receive good coaching.

Swinney recommending the recruit take a look at the Razorback Football Program will hold a lot of weight to the recruit.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 12:07:16 am »

i can say it. Bert was never ever known as a guru of anything- he was a ceo at best. Morris was the BEST high school coach in Texas, then the BesT OC in college. Then he turned a dead program into 3rd place in possibly the most competitive league in the nation. That league's champ beat the SEC champ...

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 12:09:32 am »

some of us do. we got another frank broyles imo.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 01:31:32 am »

I liked Bret but I loved Jen. It's to bad CBB didn't workout but I have a funny feelin that CCM will, and big.

Al Boarland

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 05:03:31 am »

I think we should have ignored Bielema's record.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 05:50:50 am »

I think we should have ignored Bielema's record.

I agree.  Hiring him based on his record at Wisconsin was a terrible mistake.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 06:20:16 am »

i can say it. Bert was never ever known as a guru of anything- he was a ceo at best. Morris was the BEST high school coach in Texas, then the BesT OC in college. Then he turned a dead program into 3rd place in possibly the most competitive league in the nation. That league's champ beat the SEC champ...

Actually SMU was tied with Navy for 3rd in the AAC West Division and tied with Navy and Temple for 5th in the overall conference standings.

http://www.theamerican.org/standings.aspx?standings=35

There is no doubt that Morris certainly has the potential to do better at Arkansas than Bielema did, for all of the reasons I listed above. But let's not get out over our ski's. This isn't going to be an easy task and it probably isn't going to happen overnight, though I still believe that we have had more talent on this team than what the record has reflected in the past. I do not believe that the cupboard is bare. It's just a matter of how quickly Morris is able to not only transition the players to a different scheme, but transition their attitudes as well.

DuvallFallsHog1980

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 07:07:02 am »

We will be lucky to be 3 or 4th in the West each year, should have done better.

The NewEra

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2018, 08:47:40 am »

I don't even care to read your first post if this is the best you have to offer Hogville.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 08:53:27 am »

I like Chad Morris and I believe he will be successful at Arkansas. He has my total support.

Having said that, I could have saved the writer of the article you quoted a lot of time and space. Chad Morris was hired at Arkansas for 2 reasons:

(A) He's a Gus clone.

(B) He was highly recommended by Gus Malzahn.

Nothing else mattered to the Gus huggers who were in control of the coaching search. If they couldn't get Gus, then come hell or high water, they were determined to get a Gus clone.

Al Boarland

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 09:04:13 am »

Actually SMU was tied with Navy for 3rd in the AAC West Division and tied with Navy and Temple for 5th in the overall conference standings.

http://www.theamerican.org/standings.aspx?standings=35

There is no doubt that Morris certainly has the potential to do better at Arkansas than Bielema did, for all of the reasons I listed above. But let's not get out over our ski's. This isn't going to be an easy task and it probably isn't going to happen overnight, though I still believe that we have had more talent on this team than what the record has reflected in the past. I do not believe that the cupboard is bare. It's just a matter of how quickly Morris is able to not only transition the players to a different scheme, but transition their attitudes as well.

Agreed. I think can hang around where Bielema had the program in his better year(s) a little more consistently.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 09:13:47 am »

Familiar posting style. Iíd keep it out of the recruiting forum this go around.

Redhogs

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 11:32:49 am »

I would ask you a question or two, but starting a dialect with someone of your intellect would surly be a waste of effort.

daBoar

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 12:43:29 pm »

I like the Coach Morris hire and his style of ball.  I earnestly hope he's successful at Arkansas, and I feel he'll give us a chance to win games.  But, I'm a firm believer in the school (or location) and its recent (say last 15 years) as being more indicative of success than any coach.  Even Saban failed at Miami.  The worst thing about Morris' prospects is the last six years of Arkansas' beleaguered performance.

LRRandy

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 01:53:08 pm »

I like the Coach Morris hire and his style of ball.  I earnestly hope he's successful at Arkansas, and I feel he'll give us a chance to win games.  But, I'm a firm believer in the school (or location) and its recent (say last 15 years) as being more indicative of success than any coach.  Even Saban failed at Miami.  The worst thing about Morris' prospects is the last six years of Arkansas' beleaguered performance.
if you're talking about one year, I could buy that. Snyder would never have been able to do what he has done at Kansas St. if that held true for much longer than a season or two. A coach is THE determining factor in the success of a program. Blue blood elite or not, a program can wither under the wrong coach. Morris has nowhere near the rebuild Snyder faced ( more starter upper than rebuild in his case). Much like Petrino I feel that CM system gives him a chance to even the playing field somewhat when facing those programs with superior talent. Let's see if he can get to the hump and then over it. Petrino couldn't get over the hump as fun as it was to watch hm get there.

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2018, 02:03:29 pm »

some of us do. we got another frank broyles imo.

Or, perhaps we have found a Bud Wilkinson. Setting and watching our new coach do an X's and O's lecture reminds me of the command Coach Wilkinson had of the details of the game play by play. Good to have a coach that is comfortable doing that kind of lecture again. Think we may be seeing the tip of the iceberg.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2018, 02:20:22 pm »

He'll either win games or he won't...I believe everyone will be behind him unless he proves he's in over his head.

oldhawg

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2018, 02:34:25 pm »

How much time do you give Morris to win?

Frank Beamer was 24-40 his first six years at Virginia Tech, and 53-19 his next six years at VT.  Beamer subsequently became legendary as the Hokies coach.

Frank Solich was 58 - 19 in his only six years as Nebraska's head coach, and was fired.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:47 pm »

I like Chad Morris and I believe he will be successful at Arkansas. He has my total support.

Having said that, I could have saved the writer of the article you quoted a lot of time and space. Chad Morris was hired at Arkansas for 2 reasons:

(A) He's a Gus clone.

Nothing else mattered to the Gus huggers who were in control of the coaching search. If they couldn't get Gus, then come hell or high water, they were determined to get a Gus clone.

I thought he was hired because Jerry Jones wanted him...is that one and the same thing?

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »

(A) He's a Gus clone.

Sounds good to me. Beating Alabama would be fun.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 05:30:13 pm »

if you're talking about one year, I could buy that. Snyder would never have been able to do what he has done at Kansas St. if that held true for much longer than a season or two. A coach is THE determining factor in the success of a program. Blue blood elite or not, a program can wither under the wrong coach. Morris has nowhere near the rebuild Snyder faced ( more starter upper than rebuild in his case). Much like Petrino I feel that CM system gives him a chance to even the playing field somewhat when facing those programs with superior talent. Let's see if he can get to the hump and then over it. Petrino couldn't get over the hump as fun as it was to watch hm get there.

Morris is getting a lot more help, in terms of returning offensive production, than Petrino had his first season.

Petrino inherited very little rushing experience for the 2008 season. Michael Smith, Brandon Barnett and London Crawford had a grand total of 74 rushes for 509 yards and 4 TD's combined.

As far as receptions and receiving yards go, he inherited 9 players with a combined 51 receptions for 733 yards and 9 TD's.

Morris is walking into a situation where he inherits 8 players who rushed for a combined 296 times for 1391 yards and 14 TD's last year.

In terms of receptions and receiving yards he gets to start out with 15 players who had a combined 175 receptions last year for 2231 yards and 16 TD's.

So Morris is going to have a bigger head-start than Petrino had when he arrived and was converting a run based offense to a passing offense. I believe that he has a chance to do more than Petrino was able to accomplish in his first year simply due to having far more seasoned contributors at his disposal on offense. Chavis will have to take care of the defense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas