Pages:
Actions
  • #51 by Pork Twain on 08 Jun 2018
  • I forgot he had Chavis and company at SMU.
  • #52 by bigpigpimpin on 08 Jun 2018
  • First off I am a HUGE CM Fan. But since it is a dead time of year I thought I would Post some things that may dissapoint some at times with CM. I watched most every play the last 3 years of SMU and quite a bit in High school. SMU always came out strong Offensively. Sometimes the Defense wasn't as prepared. This also was more noticeable after Halftime. I didn't feel the defense adjusted as well after Halftime. SMU was a Trainwreck on Special Teams the first 2 years but somewhat better the 3rd year. With CMs Offensive background I guess this would be understandable. But as Head Coach he was responsible for the Total Product. I really blame the Defense on Malone and the  lack of Athletes. Special Teams, I never figured out the Problem, but some SMU guys didn't want the Contact or to tackle. Also after a bad/negative Play, he can give a very negative expression. SMU did quit on him in one game in 2016 . Raining and away game. Navy ran all over them at will. 75/31. But the next year SMU lost 43/40 so very close. I really feel like most of the bad at SMU was a bad DC which wont be a problem at Arkansas!
    We are used to having a bad defense that won't hit and terrible special teams. He'll feel right at home.
  • #53 by Hoggish1 on 08 Jun 2018
  • Love your optimism...
  • #54 by little pigee on 08 Jun 2018
  • He still wears the SMU flavored sport coat and tie.  Come on, Coach!  Ain't no blue in Arkansas.  Antracite, maybe, but no blue.
  • #55 by HeathWimp on 08 Jun 2018
  • Things I don't like about Morris:

1.  He's not Mike Norvel, Brian Brohm, or Lane Kiffin.
    2.  He's being paid 3.5 mil/year, when during his best season as a head coach he won 7 games in an easier conference.

I know, I know, the Shafer Pollyannas have their explanations for his bad record, but I don't buy it.  June Jones had success at SMU before he got tired of working.  I'm not impressed with what Morris did there.
  • #56 by Razorbackers on 08 Jun 2018
  • While I think Morris can win at a respectable level; his personality, while different than Bielema, could wear thin just as Bielema's did if he produces the same result

I'm not hanging out with him though so I don't care how he acts as long as he doesn't do anything to disrespect the school and provides a good product.

• #57 by PorkRinds on 08 Jun 2018

• Well, Morris can squat so he’s got a leg up on CBB already.
  • #58 by RyanMallettsEgo on 08 Jun 2018

2.  He's being paid 3.5 mil/year, when during his best season as a head coach he won 7 games in an easier conference.

I know, I know, the Shafer Pollyannas have their explanations for his bad record, but I don't buy it.  June Jones had success at SMU before he got tired of working.  I'm not impressed with what Morris did there.

Norvell wins with Fuente's players. No idea if he can sustain that.

Brohm has never been a head coach. He's been a whopping QB coach and a co-offensive coordinator for two seasons. Oh boy.

Kiffin was the head coach of two college football bluebloods and went 35-21. Big deal.
  • #59 by Poker_hog on 08 Jun 2018

We honestly have no clue what we have in Morris, but 3.5 million is not much of a commitment.  If after 3 years things aren't looking good it will be on to the next guy. 

He really could be a home run hire or a complete bust.  We'll have a good idea by this time next year.  He either needs to win above our talent level or land an impressive recruiting class.  Either way I don't think he's on a 5-6 year plan.
  • #60 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • Norvell wins with Fuente's players. No idea if he can sustain that.

Brohm has never been a head coach. He's been a whopping QB coach and a co-offensive coordinator for two seasons. Oh boy.

Kiffin was the head coach of two college football bluebloods and went 35-21. Big deal.

Your comment about Norvell is not true. Check last year's Memphis starting line up. Most of the starters were Norvell's recruits. The ONLY reason Norvell didn't get the Arkansas job is because he ISN'T a Gus Malzahn clone.

That being said, I believe many are underestimating Chad Morris.
  • #61 by RyanMallettsEgo on 08 Jun 2018
  • Your comment about Norvell is not true. Check last year's Memphis starting line up. Most of the starters were Norvell's recruits.

Ok, Guv.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/memphis/2017.html

Look at the stat leaders. Now look at their year. Now look at when Norvell started coaching.

Now put 2 and 2 together and see that the majority of Memphis' statistical leaders were there before Norvell.
  • #62 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • Ok, Guv.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/memphis/2017.html

Look at the stat leaders. Now look at their year. Now look at when Norvell started coaching.

Now put 2 and 2 together and see that the majority of Memphis' statistical leaders were there before Norvell.

What I said is true. I get that you don't like Norvell but facts are facts.
  • #63 by RyanMallettsEgo on 08 Jun 2018
  • What I said is true. I get that you don't like Norvell but facts are facts.

You're a special person. Never forget that.
  • #64 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • You're a special person. Never forget that.

Also, Norvell taught Fuente the offense that Fuente ran at Memphis and now at V Tech verbatim.
  • #65 by RyanMallettsEgo on 08 Jun 2018
  • Also, Norvell taught Fuente the offense that Fuente ran at Memphis and now at V Tech verbatim.

Link?

Damn, sounds like Norvell got cucked pretty hard.
  • #66 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • Link?

Damn, sounds like Norvell got cucked pretty hard.

It was talked about a great deal during the coaching search. It's why Fuente strongly recommended Norvell to the Memphis AD when he left for V Tech.
  • #67 by RyanMallettsEgo on 08 Jun 2018
  • It was talked about a great deal during the coaching search. It's why Fuente strongly recommended Norvell to the Memphis AD when he left for V Tech.

When did Norvell teach Fuente all this?
  • #68 by OLEJACKETFAN on 08 Jun 2018
  • Im not sure but I believe Norvell was The receiver Coach at Tulsa while CM was the OC.
  • #69 by rogersvillemohog on 08 Jun 2018
  • I'm not worried about style of play vs. SEC.  I remember when Bobby lost to Alabama, the complaint was "you can't finesse a team like Alabama".  When CBB lost to Alabama, the complaint was "you can't out-Alabama Alabama". 

The reality is, both coaches, even flawed in their respective ways, had a good shot to beat Alabama, and didn't get it done in the 4th quarter.  I'm not scared of a team like Alabama.  As both Petrino and CBB showed, you can put yourself in a position to win, but you gotta close. 

So the questions are:
    1. Can you recruit well enough to give yourself a shot?  That's tbd with CM.  I think we actually had modest success with Petrino and CBB, but they just couldn't get over the hump.

2.  Can you close games?  That's tbd with CM.   Petrino won his share.  CBB fumbled most away.

+1

Our inability to close out games under Bielema was unbearable. Whether it was lack of conditioning, or just being flat out-coached, you could set your watch to us losing the fourth quarter of the ball game. That is simply unacceptable. Morris has to completely change the culture, much like Petrino did when he took over for Nutt. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

The most successful coaches here at UA have been able to do that, from Barnhill to Petrino. I know it sounds cliche, but winning at Arkansas is an attitude more than a scheme. I can hear Frank right now say "Remembah to win the 4th quartah." Morris will be judge on his ability to improve first, and then his ability to win, and when (not if) he begins to win, nothing else will matter as long as he keeps away from blondes and bikes.
  • #70 by OkieBack on 08 Jun 2018
  • Your comment about Norvell is not true. Check last year's Memphis starting line up. Most of the starters were Norvell's recruits. The ONLY reason Norvell didn't get the Arkansas job is because he ISN'T a Gus Malzahn clone.

I disagree.  I think CCM is being given a fair shake so far.  However, there are going to be gaps between what CBB brought here in recruits and what is needed by Morris and Chavis.  The big question is how will the coaches piece together the existing talent this year with the type of systems they would like to be running?  I think this first year is a wash and if we go 4-8 then that's ok.  Fans may not like it but it's year #1, folks. 

But each year after this year we should be seeing improvement and seeing more and more the true identity on the field of each coach/coordinator.  I for one am looking forward to this coming season if for no other reason to see what other coaches can do with Bert's recruits. 
  • #71 by HogPharmer on 08 Jun 2018
  • Your comment about Norvell is not true. Check last year's Memphis starting line up. Most of the starters were Norvell's recruits. The ONLY reason Norvell didn't get the Arkansas job is because he ISN'T a Gus Malzahn clone.

That and he couldn't stop sending dick pics to cheerleaders.... But sure, let's go with your reason....
  • #72 by HogPharmer on 08 Jun 2018
  • When did Norvell teach Fuente all this?

During the night the two shared a 2 for $20 and appletinis at an Applebee's in Southaven, MS about 4 years ago.
  • #73 by rhames on 08 Jun 2018

• Point exactly

If he recruits great players, wins, and stays clean he can take as many stupid photos with players as he wants.  Hahaha
  • #74 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • That and he couldn't stop sending dick pics to cheerleaders.... But sure, let's go with your reason....

That had nothing to do with it. He didn't get the Arkansas job because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.
  • #75 by rhames on 08 Jun 2018
  • That had nothing to do with it. He didn't get the Arkansas job because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

I'm pretty sure it was the dick pics.
  • #76 by RyanMallettsEgo on 08 Jun 2018
  • That had nothing to do with it. He didn't get the Arkansas job because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

Link?
  • #77 by Farmer Hogget on 08 Jun 2018
  • Solid post, I agree with all of this! Although there's a reason Bama is Bama and they've won at such a high clip. And in hindsight, CBB was such a major letdown... We may (in my lifetime) have it as good as we did with Petrino. W have an opportunity to now, but still a long way uphill.

The average margin of loss to Alabama was nearly identical from BP to BB.  Just sayin.
  • #78 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • Link?

Don't need one. It was as obvious as the nose on one's face. Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and was personally recommended by Gus.
  • #79 by Sivad on 08 Jun 2018
  • Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and was personally recommended by Gus.
    That seems to be the case.
    The BOT was fully eaten up with Gus, mistakenly thought they could get him, got snookered after their big (and expensive) moves and then settled for Gus Lite (very lite).
  • #80 by oldhawg on 08 Jun 2018
  • Don't need one. It was as obvious as the nose on one's face. Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and was personally recommended by Gus.

IMO Jerry Jones had much more to do with the hiring of Morris than Gus Malzahn.
  • #81 by Porkys Revenge on 08 Jun 2018
  • That and he couldn't stop sending dick pics to cheerleaders.... But sure, let's go with your reason....
    This is what I remember. During the search we found out he had been sending out pictures of his Johnson to everyone.
  • #82 by DLUXHOG on 08 Jun 2018

• #83 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • This is what I remember. During the search we found out he had been sending out pictures of his Johnson to everyone.

He did that when he was a college student. He's been happily married for some time and has a child. It had nothing to do with why he didn't get the Arkansas job.
  • #84 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • IMO Jerry Jones had much more to do with the hiring of Morris than Gus Malzahn.

Jerry had something to do with it but Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and Gus recommended him.

I like Morris as the HC but that's why he was hired.
  • #85 by GuvHog on 08 Jun 2018
  • That seems to be the case.
    The BOT was fully eaten up with Gus, mistakenly thought they could get him, got snookered after their big (and expensive) moves and then settled for Gus Lite (very lite).

Exactly.
  • #86 by Pork Twain on 09 Jun 2018

Wrong as usual
  • #87 by Pork Twain on 09 Jun 2018
  • Don't need one. It was as obvious as the nose on one's face. Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and was personally recommended by Gus.
    You just make up stuff so fast...
  • #88 by HogPharmer on 09 Jun 2018

How obvious?
  • #89 by hawgball40 on 09 Jun 2018
  • things i'm not impressed with:

- recruiting has been bad so far
    - the offensive system he runs

other than that, i like him. he commands respect and demands excellence, gotta love that. but i think his offense is crappy and his recruiting so far has been underwhelming. the thing i liked at SMU was he was able to recruit some speed atleast, so atleast we should be much faster under CM than we were under TCTWF3
  • #90 by HogPharmer on 09 Jun 2018
  • things i'm not impressed with:

- recruiting has been bad so far
    - the offensive system he runs

other than that, i like him. he commands respect and demands excellence, gotta love that. but i think his offense is crappy and his recruiting so far has been underwhelming. the thing i liked at SMU was he was able to recruit some speed atleast, so atleast we should be much faster under CM than we were under TCTWF3

With the new early signing period, he didn’t have much to work with when he was hired. It’s hard to recruit kids without even having a full staff or even a DC on board—who we couldn’t hire until after the first of Jan.

As for the offensive system he runs, would you prefer to continue our approach to "out-Bama Bama"? That hasn't exactly worked the last half a decade....
  • #91 by HogPharmer on 09 Jun 2018
  • Not saying he's gonna lite the world on fire as the head coach here... He may completely fail. But we're already talking about his flaws as a head coach for the UofA when he hasn't even coached a game yet. I bet if he comes out and wins 8 games this year, nobody won't have a problem with the offense he runs.... I don't think he's going to win 8 and I am by no means a sunshine pumper like many on here are. I try to be cautiously optimistic while hanging onto reality. But I'm not going to judge the man before he even has had a chance to legitimately prove himself.
  • #92 by Pig in the Pokey on 09 Jun 2018
  • Norvell definitely taught Fuente the system he still runs....
  • #93 by LZH on 09 Jun 2018

Beat me to it. That, tunica, and probably some other stuff is the main reason he wasn't hired here. Had little to do with how well he can or cannot coach.
  • #94 by Pig in the Pokey on 09 Jun 2018
  • Beat me to it. That, tunica, and probably some other stuff is the main reason he wasn't hired here. Had little to do with how well he can or cannot coach.
    could be. certainly the last part is for sure- he is a STUD.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/friday-five-ranking-the-top-college-football-coaching-candidates-on-the-rise-in-2018/

"2. Mike Norvell, Memphis coach: I was almost certain that Norvell was going to end up at Arkansas this offseason, but the Razorbacks went with Chad Morris instead. Well, Norvell should be a hot commodity again this winter. I think there had been some questioning of his coaching credentials considering he took over a program at Memphis that Justin Fuente had done a terrific job of building. But Norvell's shown the ability to maintain it thus far, going 18-8 in two seasons and his Memphis team took UCF to double-overtime in the AAC title game. The gap between Memphis and our fictional national champions wasn't large last year. Another such season should see Norvell command more attention on the job market."
  • #95 by LZH on 09 Jun 2018
  • could be. certainly the last part is for sure- he is a STUD.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/friday-five-ranking-the-top-college-football-coaching-candidates-on-the-rise-in-2018/

"2. Mike Norvell, Memphis coach: I was almost certain that Norvell was going to end up at Arkansas this offseason, but the Razorbacks went with Chad Morris instead. Well, Norvell should be a hot commodity again this winter. I think there had been some questioning of his coaching credentials considering he took over a program at Memphis that Justin Fuente had done a terrific job of building. But Norvell's shown the ability to maintain it thus far, going 18-8 in two seasons and his Memphis team took UCF to double-overtime in the AAC title game. The gap between Memphis and our fictional national champions wasn't large last year. Another such season should see Norvell command more attention on the job market."

Yepper.  No doubt he is an excellent coach, but he is going to have to lose some of his frat boy ways to make it in to the big leagues.
  • #96 by Hogindasticks on 09 Jun 2018
  • Some of the teams wont like the hogs......gonna be stiff if the recruiting keeps going like this.
  • #97 by GuvHog on 10 Jun 2018
  • Beat me to it. That, tunica, and probably some other stuff is the main reason he wasn't hired here. Had little to do with how well he can or cannot coach.

BS. The main reason Norvell wasn't hired at Arkansas is because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.
  • #98 by LZH on 10 Jun 2018
  • BS. The main reason Norvell wasn't hired at Arkansas is because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

And you know this - how? Also, why isn't Norvell at FSU or A&M or Ole Miss or MSU? It's not like he's a piss poor coach. Baggage Guv, baggage.
  • #99 by razorbackfaninar on 10 Jun 2018
  • Did anyone mention yet that Morris is a Malzahn clone as the reason why he got the job?
  • #100 by GuvHog on 10 Jun 2018
  • And you know this - how? Also, why isn't Norvell at FSU or A&M or Ole Miss or MSU? It's not like he's a piss poor coach. Baggage Guv, baggage.

He only wanted one job and that was the Arkansas job. He turned down the Ole Miss job offer and told 3 other Universities (including Tennessee) not to bother offering. There was no baggage. The crap with the cherleaders happened while he was a college student. He's been happily married for sometime now and has a child. Chad Morris is a Gus Malzahn clone and was highly recommended by Gus Malzahn. It's as plain as the nose on one's face why he got the job and why Norvell didn't.
Pages:
Actions