• 395,370 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you May not like about CM  (Read 5097 times)

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
Re: Things you May not like about CM
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:46 am »

He only wanted one job and that was the Arkansas job. He turned down the Ole Miss job offer and told 3 other Universities (including Tennessee) not to bother offering. There was no baggage. The crap with the cherleaders happened while he was a college student. He's been happily married for sometime now and has a child. Chad Morris is a Gus Malzahn clone and was highly recommended by Gus Malzahn. It's as plain as the nose on one's face why he got the job and why Norvell didn't.

Ok Guv. I know you're a nice person so I'm not gonna continue a pissing match. I never have.  But I have talked to someone that actually knows him fairly well and he needs to change his behavior before he can step up to a big time coaching job. And it's no secret around Memphis if you ask around.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2018, 10:46:59 am »

Ok Guv. I know you're a nice person so I'm not gonna continue a pissing match. I never have.  But I have talked to someone that actually knows him fairly well and he needs to change his behavior before he can step up to a big time coaching job. And it's no secret around Memphis if you ask around.

Talk all you want. It's as plain as the nose on one's face why Chad Morris got the job and Norvell didn't. I just don't understand why some people have so much problem admitting the truth. Chad Morris got the Arkansas job because he's a Gus Malzahn clone. That's no reflection on Chad or his ability to coach but it is true.

As for the people around Memphis, they'd say anything to keep from losing a good HC and I don't blame them.

For the record, that crap about Norvell was started by Ole Miss people who were ticked off because Norvell refused the Ole Miss offer.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:31 am »

Talk all you want. It's as plain as the nose on one's face why Chad Morris got the job and Norvell didn't. I just don't understand why some people have so much problem admitting the truth. Chad Morris got the Arkansas job because he's a Gus Malzahn clone. That's no reflection on Chad or his ability to coach but it is true.

Quit moving the goal post man. Gus knew he wasn't taking the job if AU matched the $$$ so he recommended Morris. Nobody disputes that. But Norvell dropped off our radar for reasons other than coaching (well, maybe defense).

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2018, 10:54:10 am »

And for what it is worth, I am and have been on record wanting Gus first, then Norvell. It was only later that I found out why Norvell was dropped from the list.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2018, 10:59:34 am »

Quit moving the goal post man. Gus knew he wasn't taking the job if AU matched the $$$ so he recommended Morris. Nobody disputes that. But Norvell dropped off our radar for reasons other than coaching (well, maybe defense).

How did I move the goal post? I simply stated what is true. Norvell's character is the excuse that was given for not hiring him but it isn't the real reason he didn't get the job, it was just a cover for the real reason.

Dark Helmet Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2018, 11:00:16 am »

And for what it is worth, I am and have been on record wanting Gus first, then Norvell. It was only later that I found out why Norvell was dropped from the list.

I wanted Norvell. I thought we were getting Gus though. I also met Norvell this spring. I think he is going to be a great coach for a P5 school someday.

ArkansasI

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2018, 11:21:57 am »

He only wanted one job and that was the Arkansas job. He turned down the Ole Miss job offer and told 3 other Universities (including Tennessee) not to bother offering. There was no baggage. The crap with the cherleaders happened while he was a college student. He's been happily married for sometime now and has a child. Chad Morris is a Gus Malzahn clone and was highly recommended by Gus Malzahn. It's as plain as the nose on one's face why he got the job and why Norvell didn't.

You are a very stubborn man.

If Norvell told Ole Miss, Tennessee, and any other number of schools that may have been interested in him that he was not interested in them, then he is not very smart.  I'm impressed with Norvell's record, but the idea that Arkansas would take a flier on a guy that exercised questionable judgment in his past... extremely unlikely given the catastrophic Petrino incident.

The OP opened a conversation to discuss potential problems we see with the hire of Coach Morris. I replied by offering concerns about his DC hire. I understand that Chief may prove great - I just presented observations for discussion.

You, however, seem to have an ax to grind. Strange...

I believe that Chad Morris will likely prove to be a golden hire for our program.  He has an immensely positive vibe, and appears to be high character and smart.

Why criticize a guy that appreciated what Gus was doing and sought information?  He excelled at Clemson, earned the right to lead his own program(s). The man earned our offer.

We inherit a refreshingly mature coach. A guy old enough to appreciate/know/lived through Razorback tradition - making him more likely to view Arkansas as a destination job.  Yet, there appears nothing stodgy about Chad. He is high energy and clearly loves his players.

What we have in Chad Morris may be our dream hire. He has a clear vision for the program, and has experienced the successful road map that he is bringing to campus. The idea that we would have any real criticism of him today is laughable. The fact that he has taken a road less traveled - however similar to Gus (successful high school coach, successful OC with modern system that created HC opportunity) - is more worthy of praise than what you use it for.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2018, 11:32:22 am »

You are a very stubborn man.

If Norvell told Ole Miss, Tennessee, and any other number of schools that may have been interested in him that he was not interested in them, then he is not very smart.  I'm impressed with Norvell's record, but the idea that Arkansas would take a flier on a guy that exercised questionable judgment in his past... extremely unlikely given the catastrophic Petrino incident.

The OP opened a conversation to discuss potential problems we see with the hire of Coach Morris. I replied by offering concerns about his DC hire. I understand that Chief may prove great - I just presented observations for discussion.

You, however, seem to have an ax to grind. Strange...

I believe that Chad Morris will likely prove to be a golden hire for our program.  He has an immensely positive vibe, and appears to be high character and smart.

Why criticize a guy that appreciated what Gus was doing and sought information?  He excelled at Clemson, earned the right to lead his own program(s). The man earned our offer.

We inherit a refreshingly mature coach. A guy old enough to appreciate/know/lived through Razorback tradition - making him more likely to view Arkansas as a destination job.  Yet, there appears nothing stodgy about Chad. He is high energy and clearly loves his players.

What we have in Chad Morris may be our dream hire. He has a clear vision for the program, and has experienced the successful road map that he is bringing to campus. The idea that we would have any real criticism of him today is laughable. The fact that he has taken a road less traveled - however similar to Gus (successful high school coach, successful OC with modern system that created HC opportunity) - is more worthy of praise than what you use it for.

You obviously didn't read some of my previous posts. I'm not criticizing Chad Morris, I believe he will be very successful at Arkansas and he has my full support. My criticism is of the way the coaching search was handled and the way Norvell was unfairly treated. He was rejected because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

Knot2brite

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »

I am worried that he is not able to recruit his offensive style of players here and the fact that his DC is on a one or maybe two year contract does not bode well. It is hard to recruit players who aren’t sure if their DC is going to be there to coach them. I know that coordinators change at a moments notice but any kid that is worth a damn is being told by opposing coaches that Chavis is probably gone after this year or next year. His offense is a fan favorite but if he can’t get the players then we will be watching a very tired defense at the end of every game and those type of situations never bode well. If we run three pass plays and all are incomplete passes then we probably have run 30 seconds max off the clock and if you do that a couple times trying to play catch up then you are just spinning your wheels. CBB probably needed to go because he just wasn’t able to put all the pieces together on the offensive and defensive lines and his decisions on hiring coaches was horrendous. His offensive style was the right fit here his first couples years. Control the Val and the clock and play good defense ( well they never played great defense). Petrino knew there was times to line up in a power I pro set and hammer the ball and then spread it out to throw the ball. The power spread is great if you have the horses but if we don’t have a defense it won’t matter...

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2018, 12:16:44 pm »

How did I move the goal post? I simply stated what is true. Norvell's character is the excuse that was given for not hiring him but it isn't the real reason he didn't get the job, it was just a cover for the real reason.

We are all on pins and needles brother, go ahead and let us know how you acquired this knowledge. And before you say you are friends with a BOT member, if he's from PB I am pretty sure who that is....I've known him for years and years - he came to our Sunday fish fries when I was a kid.

rude1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2018, 12:25:55 pm »

This is the bottom line. If he wins everyone will love everything about him. If the losses start piling up his coach speak will piss everyone off.
^^^ Real talk there. Winning covers a multitude of imperfections and losing shines the light on all imperfections. Just the nature of the beast.

ArkansasI

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »

You obviously didn't read some of my previous posts. I'm not criticizing Chad Morris, I believe he will be very successful at Arkansas and he has my full support. My criticism is of the way the coaching search was handled and the way Norvell was unfairly treated. He was rejected because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

Sorry Guv.  You're right...  I didn't read some of the previous posts. I coupled the topic with the post I quoted and opined.

I'm not sure how whatever we might not like about Chad has anything to do with Norvell being unfairly treated.  I wasn't privy to the inner workings of the coaching search. But the fact that the coaching search resulted in the hiring of Chad Morris, I'm satisfied with it 

As to anything that may have hurt Norvell, I'm sorry to learn. Good luck to him.

31to6

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »

So I am not predicting that CCM will beat Alabama, but I will put this out for consideration.

Alabama under Saban since he got them rolling (ie: not counting the terrible 2007 season) has very few losses in recent years. Here they are:

2017: Auburn
2016: Clemson
2015: Ole Miss
2014: Ole Miss, Ohio State
2013: Auburn, OU
2012: aTm
2011: LSU
2010: USCe, Auburn, LSU <-- worst season in recent memory
2009: undef
2008: Fl, Utah

So lets tally it up.

Spread losses: 11. 6 to Gus and derivatives. 3 to Meyer and derivatives. 1 to Mumme's Air Raid (Sumlin). 1 to Jay Norvell's spread/pistol offense.
Pro style losses: 3, and none since 2011, with two of those to elite defenses in super-low scoring slugfests (LSU) and one to Marcus Lattimore and Alshon Jeffrey in a game where their mediocre defense played well above themselves, shutting down Mark Ingram.

Looks to me like smart money is to go get a guy who knows an offense that can beat your #1 division opponent. Which we did.

ricepig

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »

He still wears the SMU flavored sport coat and tie.  Come on, Coach!  Ain't no blue in Arkansas.  Antracite, maybe, but no blue.

Throw in wanting his prime rib well done, well....I don't think he'll last long in these parts.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mike Anderson aka Houston Nutt 2.0
    • Facebook
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2018, 06:20:33 am »

Did anyone mention yet that Morris is a Malzahn clone as the reason why he got the job?
Just Guv

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2018, 12:06:25 pm »

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Jerry Jones grandson played with Coach Morris's son at Highland. I wouldn't doubt that if Chad had stayed at SMU Jerry's grandson would have been 75/25 SMU lean and probably would have committed to SMU instead of AR. I can't say that I would have blamed him because of his style of play. People, if you donate a building smart ADs listen to you.

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2018, 12:39:53 pm »

So I am not predicting that CCM will beat Alabama, but I will put this out for consideration.

Alabama under Saban since he got them rolling (ie: not counting the terrible 2007 season) has very few losses in recent years. Here they are:

2017: Auburn
2016: Clemson
2015: Ole Miss
2014: Ole Miss, Ohio State
2013: Auburn, OU
2012: aTm
2011: LSU
2010: USCe, Auburn, LSU <-- worst season in recent memory
2009: undef
2008: Fl, Utah

So lets tally it up.

Spread losses: 11. 6 to Gus and derivatives. 3 to Meyer and derivatives. 1 to Mumme's Air Raid (Sumlin). 1 to Jay Norvell's spread/pistol offense.
Pro style losses: 3, and none since 2011, with two of those to elite defenses in super-low scoring slugfests (LSU) and one to Marcus Lattimore and Alshon Jeffrey in a game where their mediocre defense played well above themselves, shutting down Mark Ingram.

Looks to me like smart money is to go get a guy who knows an offense that can beat your #1 division opponent. Which we did.

A good post and a reasonable thought process.  The main issue with the premise is that those spread teams that beat Bama were substantially more talented that we are.  We have pockets of talent on our team, but on the whole we are seriously outmanned by most everyone else in the SEC.  Despite the Bert Boys' proclamations, he really wasn't that great of a recruiter.  Throw in the complete shift in offensive philosophy, and Morris's poor recruiting to date, and it's not hard to imagine that we'll be on to our next coach before Morris has time to amass enough talent to really test your theory.

hawgball40

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »

As for the offensive system he runs, would you prefer to continue our approach to "out-Bama Bama"? That hasn't exactly worked the last half a decade....
no, i wanted another pro style spread, like the guy at Purdue (Jeff Brohm, a former qb for BP) is running and having good success with.

A good post and a reasonable thought process.  The main issue with the premise is that those spread teams that beat Bama were substantially more talented that we are.  We have pockets of talent on our team, but on the whole we are seriously outmanned by most everyone else in the SEC.  Despite the Bert Boys' proclamations, he really wasn't that great of a recruiter.  Throw in the complete shift in offensive philosophy, and Morris's poor recruiting to date, and it's not hard to imagine that we'll be on to our next coach before Morris has time to amass enough talent to really test your theory.
Lets not forget, we came pretty close under petrino in 2010. not sure if we had a single 5 star on that roster other than darius winston at cb. In fact, we should have won that game but the defense couldn't hold on to the lead and our offense couldn't move the sticks in the second half. The offense put up more than enough points, but they couldn't move the sticks late in the game either. the point is that we were damn close and we dominated alabama on their home field for 3 quarters of that game.

HogPharmer

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2018, 01:06:21 pm »

Don't need one. It was as obvious as the nose on one's face. Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and was personally recommended by Gus.

Did anyone mention yet that Morris is a Malzahn clone as the reason why he got the job?

Is there an echo in here?

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2018, 01:40:24 pm »

Is there an echo in here?

Wait, Guv, is Morris a Malzahn clone?

I just read "Gus clone" so many times that the words have now lost all meaning.

That had nothing to do with it. He didn't get the Arkansas job because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

Don't need one. It was as obvious as the nose on one's face. Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and was personally recommended by Gus.

Jerry had something to do with it but Morris was hired because he is a Gus clone and Gus recommended him.

I like Morris as the HC but that's why he was hired.

I like Chad Morris and I believe he will be successful at Arkansas. He has my total support.

Having said that, I could have saved the writer of the article you quoted a lot of time and space. Chad Morris was hired at Arkansas for 2 reasons:

(A) He's a Gus clone.

(B) He was highly recommended by Gus Malzahn.

Nothing else mattered to the Gus huggers who were in control of the coaching search. If they couldn't get Gus, then come hell or high water, they were determined to get a Gus clone.

BS. The main reason Norvell wasn't hired at Arkansas is because he isn't a Gus Malzahn clone.

As for the people around Memphis, they'd say anything to keep from losing a good HC and I don't blame them.

For the record, that crap about Norvell was started by Ole Miss people who were ticked off because Norvell refused the Ole Miss offer.

Your comment about Norvell is not true. Check last year's Memphis starting line up. Most of the starters were Norvell's recruits. The ONLY reason Norvell didn't get the Arkansas job is because he ISN'T a Gus Malzahn clone.

That being said, I believe many are underestimating Chad Morris.

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2018, 03:44:08 pm »

I'm hoping CCM lights it up and succeeds at Arkansas. His energy and offensive system are a breath of fresh air after Bielema. I will confess, though, that I was initially disappointed we didn't get Norvell. Whatever his peccadillos may be, I think we will look back with regret on missing out on a good coach.

31to6

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »

Of course talent matters. But if talent were all that mattered, Ole Miss would not have won those games. Neither would Clemson, or even OU. I think what the difference is that if you are going "hat on a hat" scheme-wise, you are hoping you can run the ball on Alabama while stopping their run game. Good luck.

We came close under CBB, at home, with the best defense we've had in a long time, when they had one of the worst QBs in the Saban era.

With a spread the defenders are further from each other and forced into more individual matchups. So you might not have to equal them man-for-man from a talent level, you just have to find some matchups that work. And if you can play with a high tempo is that when you find a good matchup going, you get to "freeze" the defensive personnel for multiple plays. And, with tempo, you get a chance to wear them down a bit, which can help to offset their defensive depth.

I think it is possible to beat Alabama with a spread offense and a decent defense. You have a punchers chance. The only way to beat them with a ball-control offense is going to be with a truly elite defense (eg: LSU) or when they just have a really bad day (USCe, our "almost" 14-13 game, etc).

We shall see :)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2018, 07:16:57 pm »

I think that is a bit of a short sighted take on the situation.

You contend that we are out-manned and I don't think that is the case, depending upon your definition of "out-manned". I believe that we have some good athletes spread across both sides of the ball. Is it "Alabama caliber" in terms of quality depth at such a level that there is minimal difference between the first and second units? Probably not, but when a coach is in that position you learn to be more diverse and flexible in your scheme to afford you the opportunity to get the maximum effort possible out of all of your athletes in your two deep. Are you at a disadvantage against a team like Alabama? Sure you are. But how many teams do we face that are of that caliber? One. Perhaps a second that is a little further down the line in terms of two deep talent with a third following close behind at #3.

Five of those 6 are beatable every season and that has been proven in the past. Alabama is Arkansas' 4 minute mile (see Roger Bannister). They are impossible to beat until you train to that level and actually believe that you can beat them (despite what anyone else says) and then it becomes more doable. It is our Everest. Not so with the others.

Sure, we have a lot of room for improvement but there is a better base of talent to work with that Morris inherits than what Petrino inherited and the vast majority of these kids on the team played in an offense in HS that is far more similar to what Morris runs, than what the kids that Petrino inherited had experienced in the past. The learning curve is certainly there, but it is a lot shorter distance from Point A to Point B than it was for BP.

And, Morris inherits a lot more returning offensive production among the skill positions than Petrino did as well. Almost 900 yards more in rushing, 1500 yards more in receiving.

Different situation.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:54:52 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

Wooderson

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2018, 09:06:05 pm »

He sounds and acts like Houston Nutt.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mike Anderson aka Houston Nutt 2.0
    • Facebook
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2018, 11:27:04 pm »

He sounds and acts like Houston Nutt.
How HDN sounded and acted as a coach was less of a problem than how he coached and treated others, but your statement is still incorrect.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:46 am »

It amazes me that the same people who were so vocal during the coaching search telling us what was going to happen, are still here 6 months later telling us they were right when none of it happened as they predicted.

AP85

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2018, 08:56:42 am »

Mississippi state has artificial turf too? Right?

RT1941

« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2018, 10:02:47 am »

I'd be perfectly happy if CCM just finds a way to beat aTm/LSU/Auburn/MSU/Mizzou first and then focuses his efforts on beating Bama.  (You gotta crawl before you walk.)

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2018, 10:26:42 am »

Let's hope Gus' wife didn't get cloned!  Tell us it's not true, Guv.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2018, 10:29:27 am »

I'd be perfectly happy if CCM just finds a way to beat aTm/LSU/Auburn/MSU/Mizzou first and then focuses his efforts on beating Bama.  (You gotta crawl before you walk.)

Agreed, and I believe he'll do that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas