• 395,371 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you May not like about CM  (Read 5098 times)

OLEJACKETFAN

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Things you May not like about CM
« on: June 06, 2018, 06:43:34 pm »

First off I am a HUGE CM Fan. But since it is a dead time of year I thought I would Post some things that may dissapoint some at times with CM. I watched most every play the last 3 years of SMU and quite a bit in High school. SMU always came out strong Offensively. Sometimes the Defense wasn't as prepared. This also was more noticeable after Halftime. I didn't feel the defense adjusted as well after Halftime. SMU was a Trainwreck on Special Teams the first 2 years but somewhat better the 3rd year. With CMs Offensive background I guess this would be understandable. But as Head Coach he was responsible for the Total Product. I really blame the Defense on Malone and the  lack of Athletes. Special Teams, I never figured out the Problem, but some SMU guys didn't want the Contact or to tackle. Also after a bad/negative Play, he can give a very negative expression. SMU did quit on him in one game in 2016 . Raining and away game. Navy ran all over them at will. 75/31. But the next year SMU lost 43/40 so very close. I really feel like most of the bad at SMU was a bad DC which wont be a problem at Arkansas!

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
Re: Things you May not like about CM
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:07:30 pm »

I appreciate you bringing the good and the bad.  By all accounts, SMU was depleted of athletes.  On offense you can scheme around deficiencies.  On defense, itís just painfully obvious when you donít have the horses, especially in the second half when they get tired.  Honestly though, I think our Defense is going to start out well ahead of the offense this year.  I guess weíll see.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:26:40 pm »

I appreciate you bringing the good and the bad.  By all accounts, SMU was depleted of athletes.  On offense you can scheme around deficiencies.  On defense, itís just painfully obvious when you donít have the horses, especially in the second half when they get tired.  Honestly though, I think our Defense is going to start out well ahead of the offense this year.  I guess weíll see.

Everybody knows that if you fuel the horses with full bellies of peanut butter and jelly and get out of their way, big things happen.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:29:55 pm »

First off I am a HUGE CM Fan. But since it is a dead time of year I thought I would Post some things that may dissapoint some at times with CM. I watched most every play the last 3 years of SMU and quite a bit in High school. SMU always came out strong Offensively. Sometimes the Defense wasn't as prepared. This also was more noticeable after Halftime. I didn't feel the defense adjusted as well after Halftime. SMU was a Trainwreck on Special Teams the first 2 years but somewhat better the 3rd year. With CMs Offensive background I guess this would be understandable. But as Head Coach he was responsible for the Total Product. I really blame the Defense on Malone and the  lack of Athletes. Special Teams, I never figured out the Problem, but some SMU guys didn't want the Contact or to tackle. Also after a bad/negative Play, he can give a very negative expression. SMU did quit on him in one game in 2016 . Raining and away game. Navy ran all over them at will. 75/31. But the next year SMU lost 43/40 so very close. I really feel like most of the bad at SMU was a bad DC which wont be a problem at Arkansas!

The defense at SMU is not really an issue because Chad Morris did not bring the defensive staff or DC with him to Arkansas.

OLEJACKETFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »

I agree with your responses about the Defense at Arkansas. I do believe folks will be surprised with the Offense. Im not at ALL worried about that. Big strides will be made. Remember when CM went to Tulsa, and this was his first year out of H.S. They were a much improved on Offense AND beat Notre Dame that year! First year at Clemson, huge improvement on the O side! The best way to beat CM is to grind it out & run the ball! Keep his Offense off the field. That is where I hope Chief makes a difference!!

jkstock04

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:54:52 pm »

I agree with your responses about the Defense at Arkansas. I do believe folks will be surprised with the Offense. Im not at ALL worried about that. Big strides will be made. Remember when CM went to Tulsa, and this was his first year out of H.S. They were a much improved on Offense AND beat Notre Dame that year! First year at Clemson, huge improvement on the O side! The best way to beat CM is to grind it out & run the ball! Keep his Offense off the field. That is where I hope Chief makes a difference!!
This sounds good. One thing is for sure, we only have one way to go and that's up. No chance it can be any worse.

What is your fan status? SMU fan? Post more...thanks for the good info.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:33:08 pm by jkstock04 »

OLEJACKETFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:15:28 pm »

Not really a SMU Fan. Was involved in hiring CM many years ago. He was young and very Confident, as most Coaches are. I remember asking him why did you interview with us? We had over a Hundred Applicants. He only had a couple years Coaching at the time. He told us yall have a good Foundation and I think we can win State. Although we didn't win them, CM had us playing for the State Title Both years!! Paula taught Elementary and CM taught a class of Algebra! Brooke Hickey/Stepp was in his Math Class! Late 90s!

ArkansasI

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 08:18:23 pm »

The OP asks a fair question. But we are driving toward a better one... What do you not like about Chief?  I suppose I'm glad he's on our side, but Chief's record with average talent is nothing to get too excited about. It's easy to look good when you're bigger, stronger and faster than your opponent. But what has he done against teams that match well physically?  Not hatin', just concerned. 

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:44:26 pm »

And that is why he hired John Chavis.  Iím hoping it is the perfect match.

OLEJACKETFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:26:12 pm »

I don't know much about Chief but his past record was really good. I do know LSU sued him or A&M trying to keep him from going to the Aggies! If he was washed up, I would think LSU would have been glad to get rid of him. I don't think he was allowed to do what he wanted at A&M. Time will tell. I do remember CMs Offense at Clemson beating his Tiger D in the Bowl game!!

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 10:14:26 pm »

I don't like when he wears shorts with recruits. Looks like an old dad grilling. If that's my biggest complaint about him, I think we are in good shape with our coach.

Pigs in Zen

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 11:49:11 pm »

I don't like when he wears shorts with recruits. Looks like an old dad grilling. If that's my biggest complaint about him, I think we are in good shape with our coach.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 12:55:10 am »

I'm sure as time goes on, we will all find something not to like. Only the most egotistical person likes everything about themselves and although I'm not a psychologist, I suspect most people like that are really very insecure and don't like themselves that much deep down.

If we were looking for a coach all fans would approve of unconditionally, we might as well be looking for a unicorn..

I remember every coach here since Broyles was in his heyday and there has been something I didn't like about all either on the field or off, usually both.

Having said that, winning is the greatest deodorant in covering up the coach's flaws and ultimately CM will be judged on that at some point, if not in 2018.

As far as him not always having the most pleasant expression on his face after a bad play, you're kidding, right? These guys have cameras following every move on the sidelines and often in their everyday lives...

I don't want a Mr. Rogers "it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood" coach who treats a critical turnover or bonehead play the same way as a good play or a no gainer.

I don't want a screaming maniac with a facial expression like Jack Nicholson in The Shining, either, like Petrino at times. I recall the former kicker from Springdale, I don't recall his name, missing a PAT and then shanking the ensuing kickoff out of bounds.

Petrino met him about 10 yards from the sidelines with the veins in his neck bulging and gave him a cussing that a Marine drill Sergeant would be proud of...

That to me is a bridge too far. However, IMO, it does not prepare a young man for the real world or help the team in any way to just shrug and let it go.

Getting flattened by a stronger foe or getting left in the dust by a faster one is one thing, but lack of focus or effort should not be accepted by any coach at any time.

The key is to do it in a way that corrects the problem but doesn't destroy the player's confidence or demean him in any way and that can be tricky.

As far as special teams play, a depleted roster like CM inherited at SMU usually has a lot of problems in that regard due to simply not having enough athletes.

We have had the same problem at times such as at 'Bama in 2011 I think it was. Tank Wright was injured and he played on special teams in addition to DE/OLB. He was replaced by DD Jones who was much bigger and not as fast.

He had coverage of the 'Bama TE man to man in case of a fake FG. You could see his eyes were as big as half dollars before the ball was snapped. Petrino did not call a TO and sure enough, 'Bama ran a fake and the holder threw to the TE who was 10-20 yards behind Jones for a TD.

Lack of depth shows up on special units, not just offense and defense. What Chavis is able to do in improving the defense will have a lot to do with how much or how little fans like CM in the long run..

rhames

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 07:46:50 am »

While I think Morris can win at a respectable level; his personality, while different than Bielema, could wear thin just as Bielema's did if he produces the same result

I'm not hanging out with him though so I don't care how he acts as long as he doesn't do anything to disrespect the school and provides a good product.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:06:58 am by rhames »

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:01 am »

I'm sure as time goes on, we will all find something not to like. Only the most egotistical person likes everything about themselves and although I'm not a psychologist, I suspect most people like that are really very insecure and don't like themselves that much deep down.

If we were looking for a coach all fans would approve of unconditionally, we might as well be looking for a unicorn..

I remember every coach here since Broyles was in his heyday and there has been something I didn't like about all either on the field or off, usually both.

Having said that, winning is the greatest deodorant in covering up the coach's flaws and ultimately CM will be judged on that at some point, if not in 2018.

As far as him not always having the most pleasant expression on his face after a bad play, you're kidding, right? These guys have cameras following every move on the sidelines and often in their everyday lives...

I don't want a Mr. Rogers "it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood" coach who treats a critical turnover or bonehead play the same way as a good play or a no gainer.

I don't want a screaming maniac with a facial expression like Jack Nicholson in The Shining, either, like Petrino at times. I recall the former kicker from Springdale, I don't recall his name, missing a PAT and then shanking the ensuing kickoff out of bounds.

Petrino met him about 10 yards from the sidelines with the veins in his neck bulging and gave him a cussing that a Marine drill Sergeant would be proud of...

That to me is a bridge too far. However, IMO, it does not prepare a young man for the real world or help the team in any way to just shrug and let it go.

Getting flattened by a stronger foe or getting left in the dust by a faster one is one thing, but lack of focus or effort should not be accepted by any coach at any time.

The key is to do it in a way that corrects the problem but doesn't destroy the player's confidence or demean him in any way and that can be tricky.

As far as special teams play, a depleted roster like CM inherited at SMU usually has a lot of problems in that regard due to simply not having enough athletes.

We have had the same problem at times such as at 'Bama in 2011 I think it was. Tank Wright was injured and he played on special teams in addition to DE/OLB. He was replaced by DD Jones who was much bigger and not as fast.

He had coverage of the 'Bama TE man to man in case of a fake FG. You could see his eyes were as big as half dollars before the ball was snapped. Petrino did not call a TO and sure enough, 'Bama ran a fake and the holder threw to the TE who was 10-20 yards behind Jones for a TD.

Lack of depth shows up on special units, not just offense and defense. What Chavis is able to do in improving the defense will have a lot to do with how much or how little fans like CM in the long run..

Always look forward to reading your posts. Lots of good stuff in there.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 08:13:51 am »

Nothing yet.

I'm glad he's here.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 08:15:31 am »

To be totally honest, it would be very hard for AR defense to get worse. AR is stocked with guys that have great character. They have always given it their all. That has never been a problem. Getting out coached late in a game(Post Petrino)/lack of depth/lack of speed(Post Petrino)/conditioning has been AR's problem. So if Coach Morris can stop the getting out coached and the lack of speed, AR has a much better chance.

PorkRinds

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:45 am »

While I think Morris can win at a respectable level; his personality, while different than Bielema, could wear thin just as Bielema's did if he produces the same result

I'm not hanging out with him though so I don't care how he acts as long as he doesn't do anything to disrespect the school and provides a good product.

This is the bottom line. If he wins everyone will love everything about him. If the losses start piling up his coach speak will piss everyone off.

HungryHog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 09:00:27 am »

I went through a dinner line next to him at a talk he gave.  The chef was slicing up a big hunk of prime rib - Coach asked for "something a little more well done"..

I am disappoint.

PorkRinds

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 09:03:58 am »

I went through a dinner line next to him at a talk he gave.  The chef was slicing up a big hunk of prime rib - Coach asked for "something a little more well done"..

I am disappoint.

If he put ketchup on it Iím done. So done.

Corkscrew Johnson

• Hey Houston, hold onto my rope!!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 12:22:48 pm »

I'm not worried about style of play vs. SEC.  I remember when Bobby lost to Alabama, the complaint was "you can't finesse a team like Alabama".  When CBB lost to Alabama, the complaint was "you can't out-Alabama Alabama". 

The reality is, both coaches, even flawed in their respective ways, had a good shot to beat Alabama, and didn't get it done in the 4th quarter.  I'm not scared of a team like Alabama.  As both Petrino and CBB showed, you can put yourself in a position to win, but you gotta close. 

So the questions are:
1. Can you recruit well enough to give yourself a shot?  That's tbd with CM.  I think we actually had modest success with Petrino and CBB, but they just couldn't get over the hump.

2.  Can you close games?  That's tbd with CM.   Petrino won his share.  CBB fumbled most away. 

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 12:40:20 pm »

I'm not worried about style of play vs. SEC.  I remember when Bobby lost to Alabama, the complaint was "you can't finesse a team like Alabama".  When CBB lost to Alabama, the complaint was "you can't out-Alabama Alabama". 

The reality is, both coaches, even flawed in their respective ways, had a good shot to beat Alabama, and didn't get it done in the 4th quarter.  I'm not scared of a team like Alabama.  As both Petrino and CBB showed, you can put yourself in a position to win, but you gotta close. 

So the questions are:
1. Can you recruit well enough to give yourself a shot?  That's tbd with CM.  I think we actually had modest success with Petrino and CBB, but they just couldn't get over the hump.

2.  Can you close games?  That's tbd with CM.   Petrino won his share.  CBB fumbled most away.

Solid post, I agree with all of this! Although there's a reason Bama is Bama and they've won at such a high clip. And in hindsight, CBB was such a major letdown... We may (in my lifetime) have it as good as we did with Petrino. W have an opportunity to now, but still a long way uphill.

OkieBack

• Varsity
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 01:00:47 pm »

The OP asks a fair question. But we are driving toward a better one... What do you not like about Chief?  I suppose I'm glad he's on our side, but Chief's record with average talent is nothing to get too excited about. It's easy to look good when you're bigger, stronger and faster than your opponent. But what has he done against teams that match well physically?  Not hatin', just concerned.

After looking at the DC choices after it was apparent Venables was not in the mix, I think Coach Chavis is probably as good as anyone else that would have taken the job.  I believe he will be a good compliment to CMM's offense.  I saw Morris work his magic in person at Tulsa so I don't doubt the offense eventually will be fun to watch. 

But if the Hogs are going to win in the SEC then I think it is imperative that the defense develops first and foremost.  I too have concerns once we face teams of equal or greater talent.  I just hope Chavis gives the team a chance to win each game and not get blown out.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 01:14:57 pm »

I think Mississippi had about the most success as any SEC school for a couple years against Bama by making big plays against them.  They had some really good WRs and their QB could scramble for extra seconds to find them.   Also on defense they had some very good athletes.   So we have to hope Morris can get a few of these big, long, fast and athletic men who can make big plays especially at critical times.   Of course that is an excellent way to beat any SEC school but Bama has been in the top of the West about every year under Sabin so they set the standard. 

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 01:18:09 pm »

I totally understand that given the fact that CCM hasn't yet coached a game here AND the fact that he struggled at times at SMU, I find it puzzling that so many seem to take the approach/attitude that NOTHING will be different on the Hill. Maybe it won't be, however, the fact that he hired Chavis, brought on Caldwell and appears to have upgraded the overall quality of the staff no one seems to give him any potential credit for such. "Same old, same old" seems to be the mantra of so many writers. Let's wait and see what actually happens on the field before rendering any firm judgement(s).

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 01:22:58 pm »

Sumlin refused to work with Chief on ways to better compliment each other. that was never a perfect match, but, I also believe that Chief will LEARN from Morris and both will be better at reading blitzes/disguising blitzes b/c of each other. NOBODY has figured out the 'perfect' defense to stop the spread- at least nobody has figured it out and implimented it fully. I think Chief has a chance to do as close to that as possible here. IMO, you have to win 3rd down and force some turnovers- even if it means you get burned a few times. That is how you compliment the spread. Kind of how Scott Frost's defense was geared last year.

Long story short, Chief will have us playing an exciting, winning brand of football and we will get sacks, force turnovers, get after QBs and win games!

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 01:25:56 pm »

If he put ketchup on it Iím done. So done.
that's our president. he eats STEAK well done with Ketchup.  :puke:

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:56 pm »

Sometimes the Defense wasn't as prepared. This also was more noticeable after Halftime.

As several have already pointed out, this probably had more to do with lack of athletes than a matter of being prepared/unprepared.

No depth = a very sloppy defense late in the game.

ArkansasI

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 01:36:13 pm »

After looking at the DC choices after it was apparent Venables was not in the mix, I think Coach Chavis is probably as good as anyone else that would have taken the job.  I believe he will be a good compliment to CMM's offense.  I saw Morris work his magic in person at Tulsa so I don't doubt the offense eventually will be fun to watch. 

But if the Hogs are going to win in the SEC then I think it is imperative that the defense develops first and foremost.  I too have concerns once we face teams of equal or greater talent.  I just hope Chavis gives the team a chance to win each game and not get blown out.

Thanks for the reply.

My primary concerns with Chavis are knowing whether he is capable of out scheming an opponent and whether he is hungry for success.  The facts are the man was available at the end of the season for a reason and our job was not a promotion for him.

Chief has earned millions of dollars as a defensive coordinator in the SEC at three universities - each of which were at the height of their recruiting success while he was there.  I hope that he had some responsibility for that recruiting success.  However, none of the three schools sustained the level success that was captured early... So, I don't believe he left any of his past jobs in better shape...

If Chief attracts good players to Arkansas - good hire.  Otherwise...

Let's face it, he's not going to turn down our offer in favor of retirement. 

Olejacketfan had a good reply...  LSU sued him or A&M trying to keep him from going to the Aggies and that he may not have been allowed to do what he wanted at A&M.  Sounds like there is hope.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 01:51:33 pm »

As several have already pointed out, this probably had more to do with lack of athletes than a matter of being prepared/unprepared.

No depth = a very sloppy defense late in the game.

I wonder what defensive stats we need the biggest improvement for us to get 2 or 3 more wins? 

We gave up

36  Total PPG.   196 Rushing YPG  .  242  Passing YPG,  We only had 19 sacks for 128 yards lost.   

HogPharmer

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 01:53:06 pm »

I wonder what defensive stats we need the biggest improvement for us to get 2 or 3 more wins? 

We gave up

36  Total PPG.   196 Rushing YPG  .  242  Passing YPG,  We only had 19 sacks for 128 yards lost.

If we could change the stat where we give up more PPG than we score, that would be a good start.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 01:54:14 pm »

If we could change the stat where we give up more PPG than we score, that would be a good start.

Beat me to it lol

Poker_hog

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 02:09:59 pm »

His recruiting so far.  There wasn't a particularly strong finish last year.  That coupled with a slow start to this years class is concerning.

Backcountryhog

• Band Nerd
  • Owner of Backcountry Taxidermy Gravette, Arkansas
    • backcountry-taxidermy.com
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 03:05:39 pm »

You have to be from Elysian Fields??

HogPharmer

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 03:07:52 pm »

His recruiting so far.  There wasn't a particularly strong finish last year.  That coupled with a slow start to this years class is concerning.

With the new early signing period, he didnít have much to work with when he was hired. Itís hard to recruit kids without even having a full staff or even a DC on boardówho we couldnít hire until after the first of Jan.

31to6

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 03:21:41 pm »

We gave up

The defense was even worse than it seems:
We were both hopeless at preventing big plays, getting off the field and defending the RZ:
88th in opponent plays over 20 yards
121st in opp 3rd down conversion % **
126th in Red zone defense (97th in RZ TD%)
**(and if we miraculously got a stop on 3rd down, just go for it: we were 116th in 4th down %)

Of course this is because both run and pass defense were bad:
104th in run defense YPC
114th in pass defense YPA

We also were incredibly passive:
126th in TFL
104th in Sacks
89th in INTs
Fumbles were average at 45th, but nothing to hang your hat on when everything else is so bad.

And, as icing on the cake, special teams were bad to terrible as well:
88th in Kick Coverage
70th in FG %
67th in Kick Returns
115th in Punting

To answer your question, though, I think the place where we must improve are:
Run defense (5+ YPC just won't get it done in the SEC)
"Havock" (QB hits, hurries and sacks, and TFL) -> we have to start hitting the QB and getting into the backfield more.

I think there is hope that our secondary could be very good, which will help with havock (more time to get to the passer, easier to load the box vs the run) but at the end of the day if you can't stop the run then your only hope is for turnovers and special teams to get you wins in shootouts where all the pressure is on the offense.

OLEJACKETFAN

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 03:42:43 pm »

Yes, Backcountryhog I am from E. F.  I will be at the Texas A&M/ Arkansas game. I believe on Sept 29 the Aggies are going to question their hire. That will be the day Hogs Fans truly embrace CM.

Backcountryhog

• Band Nerd
  • Owner of Backcountry Taxidermy Gravette, Arkansas
    • backcountry-taxidermy.com
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 05:10:20 pm »

Yes, Backcountryhog I am from E. F.  I will be at the Texas A&M/ Arkansas game. I believe on Sept 29 the Aggies are going to question their hire. That will be the day Hogs Fans truly embrace CM.
Iím from Elysian Fields myself.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »

The defense was even worse than it seems:
We were both hopeless at preventing big plays, getting off the field and defending the RZ:
88th in opponent plays over 20 yards
121st in opp 3rd down conversion % **
126th in Red zone defense (97th in RZ TD%)
**(and if we miraculously got a stop on 3rd down, just go for it: we were 116th in 4th down %)

Of course this is because both run and pass defense were bad:
104th in run defense YPC
114th in pass defense YPA

We also were incredibly passive:
126th in TFL
104th in Sacks
89th in INTs
Fumbles were average at 45th, but nothing to hang your hat on when everything else is so bad.

And, as icing on the cake, special teams were bad to terrible as well:
88th in Kick Coverage
70th in FG %
67th in Kick Returns
115th in Punting

To answer your question, though, I think the place where we must improve are:
Run defense (5+ YPC just won't get it done in the SEC)
"Havock" (QB hits, hurries and sacks, and TFL) -> we have to start hitting the QB and getting into the backfield more.

I think there is hope that our secondary could be very good, which will help with havock (more time to get to the passer, easier to load the box vs the run) but at the end of the day if you can't stop the run then your only hope is for turnovers and special teams to get you wins in shootouts where all the pressure is on the offense.

Here are two more:

We were -0.08 in T/O Margin LY.
Kentucky was +0.23 and won 7.
A&M was +0.23 and won 7.
S. Carolina was +0.85 and won 9, with a putrid offense (337 yds/gm to our pretty bad 373.4).

We have to be in positive numbers with regard to T/O Margin if we hope to win 6 or more.

Net Yards P/Play:

We were next to last in the SEC last year in Net Yds/Play (off net yds/play -def net yds/play) at -0.9 yds/play. Tennessee was last at -1.2. In all fairness, half of the conference was in negative numbers in terms of Net Yds/Play. Four in the East, three in the West.

Want to win more than 5-6-7 games next season in what is a transitional year? There has to be a + number in this particular stat.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 06:35:37 pm »

Here are two more:

A&M was +0.23 and won 7.
S. Carolina was +0.85 and won 9, with a putrid offense (337 yds/gm to our pretty bad 373.4).

We have to be in positive numbers with regard to T/O Margin if we hope to win 6 or more.

Net Yards P/Play:

We were next to last in the SEC last year in Net Yds/Play (off net yds/play -def net yds/play) at -0.9 yds/play. Tennessee was last at -1.2. In all fairness, half of the conference was in negative numbers in terms of Net Yds/Play. Four in the East, three in the West.

Want to win more than 5-6-7 games next season in what is a transitional year? There has to be a + number in this particular stat.

To boil it all down, we need to gain more yards and turn the ball over less than our opponents?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2018, 06:50:50 pm »

To boil it all down, we need to gain more yards and turn the ball over less than our opponents?

Yes and here is another obvious stat for you.

Taking a page from Miss State last year, they had an offensive TD once in every 3.4 offensive drives. Their defense gave up one TD in every 4.8 defensive drives.

Arkansas scored a TD once in every 3.3 offensive drives but allowed a TD on defense once in every 2.5 defensive drives.

It's the small things that count. Cut the yards allowed per play by 1 yard (being in position, being more aggressive, being better tacklers, more gang tackling) and we will be in far better shape in terms of having a chance to win more games. Learning the scheme, embracing the scheme, being more motivated and executing the scheme could = much better defense even if not an "all world" defense.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 06:59:32 pm »

If our d line is as good as when caldwell was here before..the secondary may not see the ball

31to6

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2018, 08:25:40 pm »

Here are two more:

A&M was +0.23 and won 7.

Net Yards P/Play:

Agree. Although I think turnovers are a derivative stat that result from aggressive defensive play where the scheme allows athletes to create them.

Sound offensive play has a role, for sure, but from a defensive perspective, if you stop the run and hit the QB, your turnovers will increase and your Net YPP will improve.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 08:42:48 pm »

Agree. Although I think turnovers are a derivative stat that result from aggressive defensive play where the scheme allows athletes to create them.

Sound offensive play has a role, for sure, but from a defensive perspective, if you stop the run and hit the QB, your turnovers will increase and your Net YPP will improve.

Being Sack leaders and Hurry leaders at A&M didn't help their defense very much in terms of pass defense.

Jonbo

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2018, 09:00:24 pm »

The way I saw, 'Bama had the hosses and made up the ground they needed to down the stretch. Not that much to be done, there. Both coaches could have "gone to the whip" all they wanted. Wouldn't have made no difference.

31to6

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 09:09:50 pm »

Being Sack leaders and Hurry leaders at A&M didn't help their defense very much in terms of pass defense.
No, but they were 5.5 PPG better than us on defense and, as you said, their positive TO margin got them over the hump to bowl 7 wins, as you noted earlier.

I'm not asserting that if you stop the run and create havock everything else just falls into line. But if you want to improve on what we did last year those are two extremely important points of emphasis.

If you have a fantastic secondary that of course helps defense quite a bit. But honestly in modern FB you still have to get after the QB. Even a strong secondary is going to lose the battle against most teams if the QB has all day to throw the ball. The days of sitting back and waiting for the offense to make mistakes are over. Yes, you will beat teams with bad QBs, but good QBs are ever more common and overall the offensive play is just too good with 7 on 7 and high tempo offenses sending HS skill players to college way ahead of where they were in years past.

Jimbob111

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 09:16:26 pm »

Fire Willy! Or Free Willy!  Wait...This is always a concern when hiring a coach known for offensive capability. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I think he'll do well. 

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 09:36:27 pm »

Iím from Elysian Fields myself.

Not Elysian Fields, Texas.....? (I donít think anyone not from there could find it with a compass and a map.....)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:57:32 pm by DLUXHOG »

Rudy Baylor

• Hogvillian
  • We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 09:53:19 pm »

the best defense is a good offense

a good offense is not necessarily in a hurry

Dumb ole famrboy

• Senior
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2018, 05:24:24 am »

I am not impressed with recruiting @ SUM (deplete of athletes) and Arkansas thus far. We have a fairly nice class of HS recruits in Arkansas this year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas