• 396,453 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College World Series vs College Football Playoffs  (Read 1665 times)

Con el Cerdos

College World Series vs College Football Playoffs
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:17:31 am »

As an event, is advancing to the CWS level with advancing to the CFP?

Not a baseball fan so I have no idea how advancing to the CWS is perceived by by Razorback fans.

rhames

Re: College World Series vs College Football Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:19:44 am »

It is awesome to make the CWS but no where close to the exposure and prestige of making the CFP. In my opinion

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:28:59 am »

Not a baseball fan so I have no idea how advancing to the CWS is perceived by by Razorback fans.

Sadly, most razorback fans ( maybe not those here ) interest begins and ends with fuhbawl. I bet there are those that consider themselves Hog fans that do not even know the Hogs are hosting a super regional this weekend.

BornaHog

• Varsity
  • Born a hog will die a hog!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 11:58:00 am »

This truly depends if you're a baseball fan or not. The numbers will say it is harder in that roughly 130 football teams cam make the final 4 for football and in baseball roughly 340 baseball programs are fighting for 8 spots. So yes it is harder in baseball. you can also figure that the old saying that on any given day any team can beat any other team which is much more true in baseball. The reason being that on any given day an average pitcher can become great for a game and great pitching nullifies good to great hitting. Just my opinion though.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:01:50 pm »

The CWS is third behind the CFP and the Final Four.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 02:02:24 pm »

See link....  counts just as much....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_schools_with_the_most_Division_I_national_championships

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:41:10 pm »

Unless you really follow baseballs and love the game, I'm not sure you can appreciate the CWS. It's tough to compare the two. I think a better comparison is the NCAA basketball tournament. When you reach Omaha, you're talking elite 8. I think pretty much everyone knows where I stand on this discussion but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

LRRandy

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:20:28 pm »

From the viewership to the money poured into it it's. not. even. close. Not to impugn the thoughts of baseball purists, for most fans college baseball barely registers.

LRRandy

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 05:23:43 pm »

ZERO

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »

The SEC is just as much a baseball conference as it is a football conference, as far as sport dominance goes. However, interest in the country's greatest pastime has dwindled across the board and football is king, so I think the natural order of excitement is football, basketball, then baseball. I equate the level of excitement to a CWS appearance as about the same as a Sweet Sixteen appearance in basketball. Sweet Sixteen would be like the old Cotton or Capital One bowls you'd get with a 9/10 win season.

There's no real comparison to an SECCG or CFB Playoff appearance in collegiate sports unless you outright win the National Championship in basketball and get the Coke bottles.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 05:45:33 pm »

In general:

1. College Football Playoff
2. NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteen
3. College World Series

You will have super fans of basketball or baseball argue, but to the public at large, itís football, basketball, baseball...in that order.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 07:46:07 pm »

I kind of wish college basketball would go to the format that baseball has.  Would be pretty interesting. 

woodhog14

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 09:13:55 am »

The CFP and FF are better events and more exposure, but making the CWS is like the basketball team making the Final Four and the football team making the 4 team playoff.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 09:20:33 am »

Hard to even find all the baseball games in the regional televised. TV treats it like Div II football, IMO. Really good team this year for AR. People should be watching and rooting them on. Really fun watching the big bats and good pitching.

HogPharmer

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:14 am »

Sadly, most razorback fans ( maybe not those here ) interest begins and ends with fuhbawl. I bet there are those that consider themselves Hog fans that do not even know the Hogs are hosting a super regional this weekend. what a super regional is.

FIFY

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 11:02:51 am »

Unless you really follow baseballs and love the game,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Anyway, in response to the OP, college baseball has come a long way in terms of depth and competition.  Watching some of the Austin Regional, I thought back to the days when the Hogs played on the George Cole oil slick field vs the Horns in the SWC while Texas played its home games at Disch Falk built in 1975.  When Norm came to the Hogs in 1970, we played at the county fairgrounds.  That advantage the Horns had is gone now.  Great facilities have gone up everywhere as has the depth of talent.  The competition is so much deeper now than it once was.  Making the CWS is a great achievement.  However, teams like the Hogs this year do get to play at home in their quest to make it.  And whereas the competition is very deep, it is also possible for many more programs to have teams capable of making the CWS than it is football programs to make the CFP.

College football has always been about the haves.  And there are only a select few.  You have programs like an Arkansas who has facilities and money and some tradition and some recruiting draw who will have little shot at making the playoffs most seasons.  College football has maybe 20 programs who have the combination of recruiting ability and recruiting ability compared to their in conference competition, who can consistently build teams capable of making the playoff. 

This is kind of like the reach to compare football to basketball.  Football cannot be compared as every play is 11 on 11 in a match of physical dominance.  Now the spread is trying to reduce this factor.  But it still takes more size, strength, speed and other physical superiority in more players to win at the highest level.  Football is also much more locally/regionally demographic driven when it comes to recruiting.  The one thing Arkansas football cannot fix or overcome consistently when it comes to competing with our conference competition from Texas, La, Ms, Tn, Al, Ga, Fl or SC. 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »

In general:

3. College World Series

You will have super fans of basketball or baseball argue, but to the public at large, itís football, basketball, baseball...in that order.
And it's that order for about 90% of the schools and fans out there.  Only Duke, UK, KU. UNC, Indiana and maybe a couple others in basketball and only schools that don't play big time football/basketball for the baseball category. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 05:38:26 pm »

In general:

3. College World Series

I'd put CWS ahead of a basketball Sweet 16.  Maybe not a Final Four, but I would the S16.  'Course I'm more a baseball guy than most I guess.

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 01:31:58 pm »

The NCAA tournament is #1 as far as popularity and having a real playoff format. The CFP comes 2nd, but could be 1st if they made it a real playoff instead of a 4 team invitational. CWS is nice, but its not quite up there with the other two.

jkstock04

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 01:39:25 pm »

No where close in my opinion. Look at college football stadiums vs baseball stadiums and there's your answer.

I don't follow baseball closely but the baseball hogs legitimately vie for a national championship every year...for the ultimate baseball fan that must be nice. 

Boog41

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 01:43:54 pm »

I donít say this to be a wise a$$, just the way I look at it. Every June the College World Series is more important to me than the football playoffs. In January, the football playoffs are more important to me than baseball. I like them both.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:37:02 pm by Boog41 »

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 02:15:53 pm »

No where close in my opinion. Look at college football stadiums vs baseball stadiums and there's your answer.

I don't follow baseball closely but the baseball hogs legitimately vie for a national championship every year...for the ultimate baseball fan that must be nice. 

The thing about baseball, and basketball too, one loss does not preclude you from making it into the playoffs. Football, lose one and a team like AR is likely out of the running. Lose 2, yea, done. So if you are 3-2 by the 1st or 2nd week in OCt, what are you playing for? Baseball? Look at a team like MSST. They looked absolutely lost for the 1st half+ of the season, but are now two wins away from Omaha.

jkstock04

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »

The thing about baseball, and basketball too, one loss does not preclude you from making it into the playoffs. Football, lose one and a team like AR is likely out of the running. Lose 2, yea, done. So if you are 3-2 by the 1st or 2nd week in OCt, what are you playing for? Baseball? Look at a team like MSST. They looked absolutely lost for the 1st half+ of the season, but are now two wins away from Omaha.
Fair enough...but the OP was questioning the popularity of CWS vs college football playoffs. To me it's a no brainier what carries more weight and pays more bills.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 02:36:01 pm »

Fair enough...but the OP was questioning the popularity of CWS vs college football playoffs. To me it's a no brainier what carries more weight and pays more bills.

Oh, I agree, no comparison.

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:21 pm »

Not close. Nowhere remotely close.

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 10:47:42 pm »

Not close. Nowhere remotely close.

The premier college sport is Football in this country, particularly in the SEC. Basketball is second. One or the other of these two essentially bankroll the athletic departments of most every major university. Everything else is scraps.

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 01:49:44 pm »

I will take a CWS over the Final Four or CFP anytime.  But thatís becuase in baseball there is parity, and Iím partial to the sport anyway.

But for the general public itís football, basketball, then baseball.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 03:13:59 pm »

Why does it matter?  Every single Fans has a right to watch the sport(s) he is interested in without being disrespected and insulted by other (better) fans.  I certainly donít care if you like baseball better that football or any other sport and I donít care if you think the CWS is bigger and better than the CFP. 

Your a Razorback fans and thatís all that matters.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »

Your a Razorback fans and thatís all that matters.

Well that is the way it should be Cinco.  But you know how weirdly jealous, protective, insecure and condescending some are to fellow Hog fans when it comes to ďtheirĒ sport in a particular forum.

Excited for tonight. Hope we get to see that 9th CWS earned this weekend.  And someday another season like 1978 in football where we may would be in the CFP. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:39 pm »

I will take a CWS over the Final Four or CFP anytime.  But thatís becuase in baseball there is parity, and Iím partial to the sport anyway.

But for the general public itís football, basketball, then baseball.

Actually for most it is football, Football NSD, MaArch Madness, Spring Football, then 3 or 4 months of " hey, what if the football teams..........." then maybe at some point they ask how the baseball team did.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 09:36:30 am »

Actually for most it is football, Football NSD, MaArch Madness, Spring Football, then 3 or 4 months of " hey, what if the football teams..........." then maybe at some point they ask how the baseball team did.

Over 34,000 at Baum this weekend might disagree with that.

Seriously, baseball is carrying Hog fans now.  It's the only nationally elite program we have (of the "major" sports) and the team is full of homegrown kids.  Jump on board; there's room for more!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 09:38:23 am »

Thatís because football plays fewer games.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 09:58:41 am »

Thatís because football plays fewer games.

Really? I had no idea that football plays 12, basketball 30 ish, and baseball over 50 in the regular season.

That's also why football is so popular as a spectator sport. Only requires you to watch your team for maybe 4 hours, once a week for 12 weeks. People can go party all day Sat, and still be ready for Monday. Cant do that with basketball or baseball.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 07:42:02 pm »

The NCAA tournament is #1 as far as popularity and having a real playoff format. The CFP comes 2nd, but could be 1st if they made it a real playoff instead of a 4 team invitational. CWS is nice, but its not quite up there with the other two.

Compare:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-final-four-ratings-history-most-watched-games-cbs-tbs-nbc/

https://sportstvratings.com/ncaa-college-football-championship-viewership-1991-2015/4222/

My favorite sport is the one in season - from high school to the pros. Texas is next. Go Hogs!

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 07:45:35 pm »

Based solely on number of teams, it is arguably harder to make the CWS. So many more teams play D1 baseball that you're competing against.

EastexHawg

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 08:12:36 pm »

Hard to even find all the baseball games in the regional televised. TV treats it like Div II football, IMO. Really good team this year for AR. People should be watching and rooting them on. Really fun watching the big bats and good pitching.

So many times when we have advanced to the CWS it has seemed like we were lacking in offense compared to the other top teams and dependent on pitching.  I will admit that is just my impression and not based on any kind of statistical analysis. 

1979 is probably the notable exception and even then we lost the national championship game 2-1.  Of course if we hadn't lost the previous game that one would have won the championship, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas