• 9,934,201 Posts
• 399,439 Topics
• 22,898 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dallas Morning News article comparing Morris at Arkansas to Sumlin at A&M  (Read 2973 times)

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Fair article.  Short, but fair.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog

If Morris gets the same record at Arkansas that Sumlin got at Texas A&M over his first 2-3 seasons, I think we will all be happy.

kaiserhog

• Kaiser Willie I, A True Hog Fan

Consider the source.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..

Sumlin owes much or most of his success at A&M to Manziel and Mike Evans. If you look at the won-lost record those 2 years vs the other 4, I think there would be quite a difference.

Unless young Mr. Jefferson is our Manziel, I don't know how accurate that comparison could be and Jefferson won't be eligible until the 2019 season.

Jefferson's name will be hard for our fans to mispronounce or misspell, thus ending one tradition. If he does start, he will be the first out of state QB to start for us since Casey Dick other than Derby's 1-2 starts in 2013 and Kelley in 4 games last year.

As far as the elephant in the room, let's hope KJ gets more fan support than some of the other QBs we have had since Quinn Grovey and be judged for his performance and leadership only..

Sumlin was 20-6, winning at a .769 clip with Manziel, 31-20 without him for a winning pct. of .607, quite a drop..

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

.........Jefferson's name will be hard for our fans to mispronounce or misspell, thus ending one tradition.

If Arkansas has taught us anything it's that traditions, even negative ones, are hard to stop.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Consider the source.

Thanks Mr. Harrick.

Tejano Jawg

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • ALL calls are REVERSED.

That was a good read, but I really don't think the comparison makes that much sense. Yeah, Sumlin brought a more up-tempo style to Ag-land, like Morris will do for us. But the situations are so extremely different. The Aggies were underachieving, but they were never in a sharp nosedive. And I doubt we have a Heisman winner on our roster right now.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!

Mike Sherman, while blowing about a dozen games as head coach (even losing his first game to A-State, which probably should have gotten him fired immediately) did a good job of recruiting some big-time talent in his three years, and Sumlin certainly benefited from a lot of that. Sumlin had higher ranked classes but nevertheless had some early departures (QB fiascos/transfers, really) and washouts that diluted some of that haul. He never had as strong of an offensive coaching staff than the one he had the first year in the SEC, and he didn't leave Chavis much to work with on the other side in terms of LBs and DL depth.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!

...Jefferson's name will be hard for our fans to mispronounce or misspell, thus ending one tradition. If he does start, he will be the first out of state QB to start for us since Casey Dick other than Derby's 1-2 starts in 2013 and Kelley in 4 games last year.

This may be one of the greatest analyses ever!

31to6

Jefferson's name will be hard for our fans to mispronounce or misspell, thus ending one tradition.
CJ Jeffersen may be the best player to walk through our doors since Joe Mategna

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Well......   DMN has become so, so, leftist that I finally cancelled my subscription last year....   they’re sports columnists have always been super anti-Arkansas, always......

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!

If Arkansas has taught us anything it's that traditions, even negative ones, are hard to stop.

Racism sucks

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!

Would the Jones kid not be a better Manziel type candidate than KJ. Undersized, over privileged three star QB from Texas?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

Good article and can the racism we had well loved and great Black QB 's before.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.

Mike Sherman, while blowing about a dozen games as head coach (even losing his first game to A-State, which probably should have gotten him fired immediately) did a good job of recruiting some big-time talent in his three years, and Sumlin certainly benefited from a lot of that.

Hmmm... I know of another coach that had a nice number of players drafted but his team blew about a dozen 4th Q leads. 

HogPharmer

CJ Jeffersen may be the best player to walk through our doors since Joe Mategna

Joe Montana was a Quarterback you idiot

HogPharmer

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I reported you to the mods anyways

wildturkey8

Mike Sherman, while blowing about a dozen games as head coach (even losing his first game to A-State, which probably should have gotten him fired immediately) did a good job of recruiting some big-time talent in his three years, and Sumlin certainly benefited from a lot of that. Sumlin had higher ranked classes but nevertheless had some early departures (QB fiascos/transfers, really) and washouts that diluted some of that haul. He never had as strong of an offensive coaching staff than the one he had the first year in the SEC, and he didn't leave Chavis much to work with on the other side in terms of LBs and DL depth.
Sounds like their talent situation is a lot like ours.

hobhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

What tha.....

searkhogfan

• Senior
  • TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS, OH MY !!!!!!!!!

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I reported you to the mods anyways

He should’ve used punctuation.   But he’s sayin “Can the Racism”.  As in don’t bring racism in to this conversation.   To which I wholeheartedly agree with. 

HogPharmer

He should’ve used punctuation.   But he’s sayin “Can the Racism”.  As in don’t bring racism in to this conversation.   To which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Never would've figured that out on my own in a million years.

Athog

Racism sucks

I wondered how long before we played that card! No losing sucks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas