• 396,453 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What good has money from the SEC done for the Hogs on the field?  (Read 5317 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: What good has money from the SEC done for the Hogs on the field?
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2018, 02:54:53 pm »

We’re in for a pleasant surprise this season.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »

Yep.  That's it.  Our coaches have to do a better job of finding places where they can pull the best players, and our players have to play with more passion, and our coaches have to make better in game decisions, and we can't give away games in the 4th quarter. 

Do you disagree that we GAVE AWAY multiple games over the past two seasons simply by not being able to compete in the 4th quarter? 

Does a move away from the SEC solve that?  I REFUSE to go back throug this craptastic argument with you specifically again.  You have a LOSER's mentaity, and nothing is going to change that.  Let's just skip the particulars and drop back to D2 so we can beat everyone.  It's embarrassing to see you guys carry on like that.

Thinking we could win more in the Big 12 and wanting to win more constitutes a loser's mentality? Interesting logic there.

Nah.
What's embarrassing is the "we just have to try REALLY hard!" argument.
What's embarrassing is going 4-8.

For whatever it's worth, I think Morris will do pretty well here.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:12 pm »

We’re in for a pleasant surprise this season.

Cold drinks on the hot days and hot chocolate on the cold days?

HogPharmer

« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2018, 03:32:50 pm »

Cold drinks on the hot days and hot chocolate on the cold days?

Only if Twist has something to say about it

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2018, 07:15:58 pm »

I am right and everyone else is wrong. The end of thread.

jkstock04

« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2018, 07:53:51 pm »

So your argument against the SEC is OSU wins 8-10 games a year?  Wow...you dug for that.  We couldn't have beaten North Dakota State, who's not even D1, the past few seasons.  Which begs the questions...is that coaching, or is it inherent challenges we face?  Maybe CM will expose that, and maybe he won't, and we'll have to go to the well again.  It doesn't change ANYTHING with regard to the SEC and our membership there. 

All four of you literally just ran down the program, but profess to be great fans.  Wow...who needs opponents with attitudes like that?  You act like there's no hope that we can ever do anything, but as we saw in 2010 and 2011, with a good coach and some solid players, we can compete.  I know, I know..."Oooh, 2 seasons."  Well...it took awhile to build it to that, and CBB wasn't able to duplicate it during his time, so those aren't the best measuring sticks.  We'll see what happens if we have a coach that can keep it in his pants, recruit TX, and seemingly take things a little more seriously than windbreaker.  Until then....all this posturing about how the SEC is ruining our program is funny when you see all the new stadium additions, practice facilities, and how we DO compete in most every other sport. 

It's FAR from the gloom and doom you guys subscribe to.   :puke:
Holes?  Really?  I have said all along that we haven't fielded a team that would do anything CLOSE to dominating the Big 12, MUCH LESS the SEC.  What part of that are you HiM and Ironhog struggling with? 

The HOLE is that you guys think leaving the SEC would solve all of our woes.  That as absolute ASSUMPTION, and nothing more.  We couldn't even sweep TCU and TTech, and they weren't even having good seasons when we lost to them. 

You guys kills me.  You act like it's the SEC's fault that we suck.  COMEDY at its best.  We suck, because we haven't been able to win at a high enough clip to get kids to want to come play football here.  Is that because our coaches aren't targeting the right places, aren't good enough recruiters, or the result of our inherent disadvantage of being a small state with limited D1 talent?  Who knows at this point. 

But...I continue to marvel at those who think taking an EASIER path is the answer.  Again, we either step it up and find a way to compete in football, or we continue as a doormat like KY and Vandy, historically.  IT DOES NOT change that we are competitive in virtually every other sport, and we're NOT going to leave the SEC and give that up.  I guess if it got to the point that the football stadium was barely half full, then they might have to look at options to fund everything, but until then...quit being pansies and whining about having to play a difficult schedule.  It's a loser's mentality.   
You also said right now we get "SEC athletes" which we wouldn't get if in the big 12. Yet at the same time couldn't hold the jock of Big 12 teams. This makes zero sense.

We couldn't hold the jock of OK state right now. They are heads and shoulders above us as a football program. But I guess after least we did get integrity and graduation rates the past few years.  Celebration time I guess.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2018, 09:51:28 pm »

Some people flip like a toupee in a hurricane!

There is a saying about sane and insane people,

There is a saying about doing the same thing and expecting...

However there is also that pillar of salt...

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2018, 11:18:53 am »

Thinking we could win more in the Big 12 and wanting to win more constitutes a loser's mentality? Interesting logic there.

Nah.
What's embarrassing is the "we just have to try REALLY hard!" argument.
What's embarrassing is going 4-8.

For whatever it's worth, I think Morris will do pretty well here.

Mallet...If you haven't kept up, we have ALWAYS had to do less with more.  It hasn't worked very well, and especially not with a coach whose philosophy was that we could consistently get the athletes to run over people physically.  A LOT of people, myself included, felt that Malzahn among MANY other options, would have been better than Bielema. 

So, to reiterate, I don't think what CBB did here would have equated to much more success in the Big 12 than what we experienced in the SEC.  Obviously, you feel differently.  I can live just fine with us disagreeing, because both viewpoints are speculative.  What isn't speculative, is that we're not going to leave the SEC with the Big 12 in the state that it's in currently.  So, that's why this argument is devoid of any sense of usefulness.   

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2018, 11:26:04 am »

You also said right now we get "SEC athletes" which we wouldn't get if in the big 12. Yet at the same time couldn't hold the jock of Big 12 teams. This makes zero sense.

We couldn't hold the jock of OK state right now. They are heads and shoulders above us as a football program. But I guess after least we did get integrity and graduation rates the past few years.  Celebration time I guess.

Zero sense?  What are you reading, because they're not my posts.  I'm saying that this thought that UNDER CBB we were going to move to the BIg 12, and would have had more success there, doesn't hold water.  That was WITH SEC athletes. 

Are you saying that if we ditch the SEC, we'll get BETTER athletes as a Big 12 school?  You're welcome to make that argument, but I disagree completely, because then whatever small chance of distinguishing ourselves is lost, and now we're competing for the same athletes who can play much closer to home for a TX Big 12 school, or another other conference. 

I love it...you're just like the people who still can't get past CBP's "accident" and blame Jeff Long.  CBB is gone, and we have to try to see if we can pick up the pieces and get the players and schemes to compete in the SEC.  You know..the conference we're CURRENTLY IN, not the one you think we would do better in. 

You guys with your "let's just stay under the porch" philosophy make me laugh.   ;D    At some point, if CCM can't turn things around, then maybe you'll get your wish, and we'll jump to a non P5 conference and see if we can dominate there.  You set the bar low enough, and you can achieve your objective every time.   ::)   

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2018, 12:25:20 pm »

Baddest one hit my hand.........

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »

The biggest benefit from Arkansas joining the SEC is the money grab. But outside of money and facilities, has being in the SEC benefited the Hogs in any way on the football field? I don't recall this much disappointment and feeling of mediocrity in the SWC days. And no this isn't a "Arkansas needs to go to the Big 12" debate. But im just asking what have the Hogs benefitted from in regards to the on-the-field product as as SEC member over the years.

Personally I don't think the "Re-alignment Era" has been good for college sports because the money is the focus and not the students or the alumni. That said I don't think Arkansas joining or not joining the SEC would have prevented the wave of re-alignment, so I think we've done as well as we could in that regard, but we've struggled on the field in football because we're not in a league full of patsies anymore and have made some poor coaching hires along the way. I would have expected a greater degree of parity, and to some extent there is when you consider the number of teams from the SEC that have won the National Championship, but I guess it's inevitable that an occasional dynasty like Saban's will occur. We can do better than we have with the right coach because we have the resources we need to succeed. We just haven't and the competition isn't just going to give it to us. Wishing for the good ole days won't either.

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2018, 05:17:00 pm »

Pertinent to the thread title, I would think that "money from the SEC" has certainly been more beneficial to us than would have NO money from the SEC, - - regardless of the established record of achieved results on the field of play.

carolinahogger

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2018, 05:20:42 pm »

Personally I don't think the "Re-alignment Era" has been good for college sports because the money is the focus and not the students or the alumni.

As long as the path to money is apparent, money will always be the focus.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:41:30 pm by carolinahogger »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas