• 9,934,250 Posts
• 399,440 Topics
• 22,898 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The preseason projects are coming out with most picking us last again.  (Read 6000 times)

luke hawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

The general consensus is Chad Morris doesn't have the players to run his system. The contrast in styles leads many to the conclusion that our roster will need a complete makeover. Was bielema recruiting slow players or placing to much emphasis on brawn over conditioning? If the former where must we make a huge change on the roster?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

The general consensus is Chad Morris doesn't have the players to run his system. The contrast in styles leads many to the conclusion that our roster will need a complete makeover. Was bielema recruiting slow players or placing to much emphasis on brawn over conditioning? If the former where must we make a huge change on the roster?

The preseason projections are over-reactions to a new HC with a new scheme and philosophy which, without having been present for practices or workouts, they naturally tend to believe that a transition will require more time. This team has been on a quest since Morris arrived to lose weight and condition to a higher degree. An off season is plenty of time to alter the conditioning level of a team.

As for team speed, I think that while there may be some minimal merit to this, I think that we have a lot more team speed than many realize and I also believe that will be proven at the start of the season.

The question is, where exactly do we lack team speed? At WR? I don't think so. At RB? No. TE? No. QB? Well, perhaps because as of today, we may not have a DT QB who has tremendous speed, but I am not sure that is as necessary as having one who can effectively run the offense on the field.

So again, do we lack speed at LB? Not among the starters. DE? I think we have pretty quick and fast DE's. DT's? Is "speed" really required or is it more a matter of strength, excellent technique and quickness? Are we lacking speed in the Secondary? I don't think so. Being aligned properly in any given call will certainly make a Secondary look faster due to being in position and better physical proximity to make plays.

The O-Linemen don't need a lot of speed and they are going to love the blocking angles given to them by this offense.

I think a lot of this by the "prognosticators" is just a knee jerk reaction to a change in coaching regimes and philosophy.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!

Well when you lose at historic levels a 'prove it' attitude is probably justified.

LRRandy

The preseason projections are over-reactions to a new HC with a new scheme and philosophy which, without having been present for practices or workouts, they naturally tend to believe that a transition will require more time. This team has been on a quest since Morris arrived to lose weight and condition to a higher degree. An off season is plenty of time to alter the conditioning level of a team.

As for team speed, I think that while there may be some minimal merit to this, I think that we have a lot more team speed than many realize and I also believe that will be proven at the start of the season.

The question is, where exactly do we lack team speed? At WR? I don't think so. At RB? No. TE? No. QB? Well, perhaps because as of today, we may not have a DT QB who has tremendous speed, but I am not sure that is as necessary as having one who can effectively run the offense on the field.

So again, do we lack speed at LB? Not among the starters. DE? I think we have pretty quick and fast DE's. DT's? Is "speed" really required or is it more a matter of strength, excellent technique and quickness? Are we lacking speed in the Secondary? I don't think so. Being aligned properly in any given call will certainly make a Secondary look faster due to being in position and better physical proximity to make plays.

The O-Linemen don't need a lot of speed and they are going to love the blocking angles given to them by this offense.

I think a lot of this by the "prognosticators" is just a knee jerk reaction to a change in coaching regimes and philosophy.
or residue from a non bowl season and the players that go with such a season without a high caliber recruiting class coming in. Coupled with a complete changeover. Hard to realistically pick them to finish higher than anyone in the west.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...

I believe our players fit the new system better than the old. We will win 7-8 games as the schedule is the most favorable for us in years.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

or residue from a non bowl season and the players that go with such a season without a high caliber recruiting class coming in. Coupled with a complete changeover. Hard to realistically pick them to finish higher than anyone in the west.

Like I said, simply a "knee jerk reaction".

Tejano Jawg

• ALL calls are REVERSED.

Well when you lose at historic levels a 'prove it' attitude is probably justified.

THIS. My first thought as well. All Arkansas fans should be used to it. And we can't be surprised (or offended) by things like this, especially under the current circumstances. A new coach taking over a program that showed a little promise a few years ago, but whose wheels totally fell off last season. Any coach/media pollster would have to pick us last—anything else would be wild speculation—and if we do win 5 SEC games, no voter will feel stupid, because they won't be alone.

QB? Well, perhaps because as of today, we may not have a DT QB who has tremendous speed, but I am not sure that is as necessary as having one who can effectively run the offense on the field.

I liked your entire post MHF, but wanted to single out this. I watched SMU a little bit the last couple years. Morris never really had a DT guy here, certainly not as a starter. So it's not like he's needing to re-tool his 'preferred' offense for the first time ever. He's not trying to run the triple option with a dropback guy. As you say, a successful QB is the guy who can RUN THE OFFENSE, and right now it doesn't matter what he looks like.

On defense, there is some speed and some talent. I wonder if there a possibility that this group will have the biggest turnaround under Morris and Co? (Well, I guess there's always a possibility.) I'm most interested in our secondary. I remember how excited I was about Bielema's last DB signing class, at least on paper. They may determine how the season goes for us.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian

Agreed. I can see us getting 6/7 wins this season with this schedule. Once CCM get's his pieces in place we can become the team we have been in the past. Someone that can sneak up on you and steal a W if you're not ready.

Al Boarland

I believe our players fit the new system better than the old. We will win 7-8 games as the schedule is the most favorable for us in years.

A favorable schedule would be terrific if it weren't a transitional year. I don't want to hang lofty expectations on him this year because if he comes up short then what will people say when the schedule gets harder? My guess is they will come up with other factors to boost a prediction.

I just stick with recruiting. Pick based on that and you will get pretty close to right every season. Middle of the pack recruiting? Middle of the pack in the conference. Bottom 1/3? Bottom 1/3 record.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

A favorable schedule would be terrific if it weren't a transitional year. I don't want to hang lofty expectations on him this year because if he comes up short then what will people say when the schedule gets harder? My guess is they will come up with other factors to boost a prediction.

I just stick with recruiting. Pick based on that and you will get pretty close to right every season. Middle of the pack recruiting? Middle of the pack in the conference. Bottom 1/3? Bottom 1/3 record.

Let's remember that Petrino wasn't exactly a major league recruiter by national recruiting standards, but what he was able to do was to evaluate HS and JC players who either had the potential to, or immediately become, effective in his offensive system. He had a lot of "hits" and he had a lot of "misses", but he was able to find kids who could excel in his system. Morris may very well be the same way but only time will tell.

The defense is a tad different but I do think that Chavis has enough acquired experience to be able to take what we have and scheme a pressure-style defense that could put opponents on their heels at times. We will gain more sacks and TFL p/gm this season but how is that going to help the Secondary? It didn't help Chavis at A&M.

My biggest concern is not having enough high quality athletes in the back end to be the playmakers that we need, who can make plays even when we find ourselves out of position and make no mistake, every team finds themselves in that position at times and it is the better athletes who tend to rise up and make those plays even when out of position. Again, this was the problem for Chavis at A&M despite pressure up front and the thing that concerns me is that he had higher rated talent (if you go by the recruiting services) to work with in the back end at A&M than he inherits here.

So, we will see how it all plays out. We are certainly not devoid of talent in the back end. Pulley is good, Curl may be a star in the making at Safety if he can put on some bulk without losing speed, Richardson is back and Ramirez may be a star in the making as well. And, there are others behind them who may develop into players who contend for SEC honors in the future. So much of it is going to come down to coaching, scheming and development.

I'll be interested to see what Morris and company can produce this first year out of the chutes. He has talent at his disposal. What can he do with it?

31to6

Yes, the roster must be reshaped, esp on offense. Some of that might happen with the S&C emphasis on conditioning vs. size, but you can only do so much in a few months.

Where do we need a change? We need a proven *WR* who can win a 50/50 ball. Typically the guy we had who could win that battle was a TE, which is great, but a TE in the open field is nowhere near as dangerous as a big, physical 4.5/4.6 WR. That could be Brandon Martin if he lives up to his potential.

The OL has to be completely different. We desperately need a LT with some athleticism and length. We *might* have that guy on campus, but if we do we have not seen him in a game. From the outside looking in all you would do is shake your head. Our best OL is a mauling OG. That's great to have, but 1 guy does not an OL make.

We need a QB. Cole was actually pretty good for a first year starter, but what we saw in the spring was not very good from any of the QBs. They have a ton to learn. The one upside here is that Ty Storey seems to understand the offense and Cole can definitely run a an option offense. He could be a factor in RPO if he drops his playing weight down closer to 245ish. Slightly overlooked: CK was really good at running screens due to his size and strength. A tool that a coach can use if you are putting a couple fast RBs on the field in a two-back set.

All in all any neutral outside observer would say: Ark? MSU or Ole Miss? Three messes, but MSU and Ole Miss have more talent.

Malvin

Seems like every year they pick us to finish last.. and just about every year we pretty much prove them right.  We changed ADs, Coaches, and philosophies this year.. why would anybody pick us any different than last place?  To make it worse, we are now playing SEC games in Little Rock which only hurts our brand more.  Only homers in Arkansas think we will not be in last place this year.. I will say though that we may beat out Ole Piss but only because the NCAA is ripping that program apart.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!

We will do better than last.

I see only 4 losses (losses to Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M).

I am not convinced we will lose to Mississippi State.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Seems like every year they pick us to finish last.. and just about every year we pretty much prove them right.  We changed ADs, Coaches, and philosophies this year.. why would anybody pick us any different than last place?  To make it worse, we are now playing SEC games in Little Rock which only hurts our brand more.  Only homers in Arkansas think we will not be in last place this year.. I will say though that we may beat out Ole Piss but only because the NCAA is ripping that program apart.

Like I said, I think it is a knee-jerk reaction without really having an opportunity to evaluate the program up close to determine what we really do have on the roster. This isn't about taking a "homer viewpoint", this is about being more realistic. Throw out the last 5 years except when it comes to the talent remaining on the team (most of whom played in a system at least similar to that of Morris before coming here) and the addition of an offensive innovator and a skilled and experienced DC.

How many of these prognosticators have actually been on campus watching our team as they learn new systems? How many have witnessed team speed up close and personal in our work outs? I would guess none to maybe 1 or 2 at the most.

I understand fans having diminished hopes because of what we have been through in the recent past. But these national guys who are supposed to know what they are talking about? I give them less credence because most haven't been here to see what Morris and Chavis are doing aside from watching an extremely vanilla spring game on t.v., if even that.

Al Boarland

Let's remember that Petrino wasn't exactly a major league recruiter by national recruiting standards, but what he was able to do was to evaluate HS and JC players who either had the potential to, or immediately become, effective in his offensive system. He had a lot of "hits" and he had a lot of "misses", but he was able to find kids who could excel in his system. Morris may very well be the same way but only time will tell.

The defense is a tad different but I do think that Chavis has enough acquired experience to be able to take what we have and scheme a pressure-style defense that could put opponents on their heels at times. We will gain more sacks and TFL p/gm this season but how is that going to help the Secondary? It didn't help Chavis at A&M.

My biggest concern is not having enough high quality athletes in the back end to be the playmakers that we need, who can make plays even when we find ourselves out of position and make no mistake, every team finds themselves in that position at times and it is the better athletes who tend to rise up and make those plays even when out of position. Again, this was the problem for Chavis at A&M despite pressure up front and the thing that concerns me is that he had higher rated talent (if you go by the recruiting services) to work with in the back end at A&M than he inherits here.

So, we will see how it all plays out. We are certainly not devoid of talent in the back end. Pulley is good, Curl may be a star in the making at Safety if he can put on some bulk without losing speed, Richardson is back and Ramirez may be a star in the making as well. And, there are others behind them who may develop into players who contend for SEC honors in the future. So much of it is going to come down to coaching, scheming and development.

I'll be interested to see what Morris and company can produce this first year out of the chutes. He has talent at his disposal. What can he do with it?

BP had the benefit of rolling over the MS schools. CCM will not enjoy such a luxury. That's two more toss up games at best. His job is much harder.

nwahogfan1

I expect nothing else from these guys.  Morris has to prove them wrong.  Chavis has to show them wrong.   We are looking at things with a positive spin on it.  Hopefully things will work out for us.   I am positive for now and I know so are the coaches.  We must start out strong.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

For the Hogs, this isn't a typical transition year. The Roster is not young, it is a veteran roster. the Defensive players are going back to the sceme that they were recruited to run after looking like Ducks out of water in the 3-4 last seaon and very very few DCs coach that scheme as well as John Chavis. On defense, the Hogs return the equivalent of 8 starters with Pulley back from injury and Kurl moving to Safety, plus they add Dorian Gerald at DE. I honestly believe the Defense will be better than most expect.

On offense, the biggest loss from last years team is Ragnow. The Hogs return 4 OL starters, all of the Wide receivers, and all of the Running backs except David Williams. Cole Kelley started some last year so not only will there not be any drop off at QB, there actually could be some improvement at that spot. Also, most of the starters High School teams ran some form of the spread so switching to the HUNH Spread shouldn't be too difficult. The only real question mark on the offense, IMO, is the Center.

Al Boarland

For the Hogs, this isn't a typical transition year. The Roster is not young, it is a veteran roster. the Defensive players are going back to the sceme that they were recruited to run after looking like Ducks out of water in the 3-4 last seaon and very very few DCs coach that scheme as well as John Chavis. On defense, the Hogs return the equivalent of 8 starters with Pulley back from injury and Kurl moving to Safety, plus they add Dorian Gerald at DE. I honestly believe the Defense will be better than most expect.

On offense, the biggest loss from last years team is Ragnow. The Hogs return 4 OL starters, all of the Wide receivers, and all of the Running backs except David Williams. Cole Kelley started some last year so not only will there not be any drop off at QB, there actually could be some improvement at that spot. Also, most of the starters High School teams ran some form of the spread so switching to the HUNH Spread shouldn't be too difficult. The only real question mark on the offense, IMO, is the Center.

Seems people are going about this two ways. Bad coaching or lack a talent. I happen to think it was a combo. There where games where we were clearly outmatched and would lose with 12 players on the field.

It will be a good sign just to beat teams we should. That's about 5 games next season. I think the ceiling is 7 wins.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

BP had the benefit of rolling over the MS schools. CCM will not enjoy such a luxury. That's two more toss up games at best. His job is much harder.

"Benefit" or due to out-scheming and better coaching? I'd say that you are assuming a scenario that we haven't seen play out yet.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Seems people are going about this two ways. Bad coaching or lack a talent. I happen to think it was a combo. There where games where we were clearly outmatched and would lose with 12 players on the field.

It will be a good sign just to beat teams we should. That's about 5 games next season. I think the ceiling is 7 wins.

I'm leaning heavily toward coaching problems being the cause of last year's debacle. Trying to run an antiquated Big 10 offense and trying to run a 3-4 defense with players that were recruited to run the 4-3 were recipes for disaster and that's what happened. Bret Bielema and his staff couldn't get out of their own way.

Trying to run the 3-4 defense made the players look like Ducks out of water.

Al Boarland

I'm leaning heavily toward coaching problems being the cause of last year's debacle. Trying to run an antiquated Bis 10 offense and trying to run a 3-4 defense with players that were recruited to run the 4-3 were recipes for disaster and that's what happened.

Trying to run the 3-4 defense made the players look like Ducks out of water.
I hear ya. I lean towards recruiting rankings. Not a shock to anyone I'm sure.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

I hear ya. I lean towards recruiting rankings. Not a shock to anyone I'm sure.

It's not a shock that all of the prognosticators are picking the Hogs to finish last. It just shows that they haven't done enough research on the Hogs.

Al Boarland

It's not a shock that all of the prognosticators are picking the Hogs to finish last. It just shows that they haven't done enough research on the Hogs.

What if the Hogs finish last or near last? It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

What if the Hogs finish last or near last? It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, it really is. There is too much experience on this team and the Schedule is too favorable for them to finish last.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:30:45 pm by GuvHog »

VirginiaHog

VirginiaHog

Sure it is. Depends on how badly all the teams beat each other up.  My guess is 6-6 2-6in conference which could be last in the west.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Oh I agree that many may think this way and it isn't impossible by any stretch. But many on here are simply afraid to believe for more. It isn't a matter of being realistic, it is just a matter of governing and limiting expectations so that if things go worse than expected, they can say..."see, I told you so".

Personally I think that we potentially have a lot better team than many expect. Most of these kids (on offense) played in a system more similar to the Morris system than the Bielema system before arriving at Arkansas. That means that the Morris system is more like a "refresher" than a brand new offensive scheme. They will pick it up quickly.

The largest problem on offense looms at QB but we don't need a perfect fit like an Alabama "Jalen Hurts", we just need someone who can make quick reads, execute the offense and occasionally take off and pick up 4-6 yards when needed. We have that even if it winds up being Kelley who can fall forward for at least two yards and has shown that he can pick up more even when faced with a good defense.

I said it earlier in another thread and I will say it here again...the bottom line for this team is gaining 10-15% more yards on offense p/gm than we give up. If we average gaining 20% or more then we are really cooking, but 10-15% more p/gm on average will likely get us to a bowl game. That isn't a steep hill to climb provided that the defense is improved.

Al Boarland

Oh I agree that many may think this way and it isn't impossible by any stretch. But many on here are simply afraid to believe for more. It isn't a matter of being realistic, it is just a matter of governing and limiting expectations so that if things go worse than expected, they can say..."see, I told you so".

Personally I think that we potentially have a lot better team than many expect. Most of these kids (on offense) played in a system more similar to the Morris system than the Bielema system before arriving at Arkansas. That means that the Morris system is more like a "refresher" than a brand new offensive scheme. They will pick it up quickly.

The largest problem on offense looms at QB but we don't need a perfect fit like an Alabama "Jalen Hurts", we just need someone who can make quick reads, execute the offense and occasionally take off and pick up 4-6 yards when needed. We have that even if it winds up being Kelley who can fall forward for at least two yards and has shown that he can pick up more even when faced with a good defense.

I said it earlier in another thread and I will say it here again...the bottom line for this team is gaining 10-15% more yards on offense p/gm than we give up. If we average gaining 20% or more then we are really cooking, but 10-15% more p/gm on average will likely get us to a bowl game. That isn't a steep hill to climb provided that the defense is improved.

Well, there will be some top shelf QB play in the conference this season. Going to be a lot of shootouts if the offense can get going.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Well, there will be some top shelf QB play in the conference this season. Going to be a lot of shootouts if the offense can get going.

I think it is likely by the second half of the season.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

This should be expected. Having said that... Enos wasn't an OC that ran exactly the kind of offense that was run at Wisconsin. Brandon Allen, during his last 2 years, there was a very healthy passing game. I think there are serious concerns about our QB situation. Kelley may wind up being a very serviceable QB for us. Time will tell. If not, Noland or Storey may see a lot of action. But Morris record as a HC is bound to not just make preseason magazines bubble over with enthusiasm.

They like Morris system. The excitement he brings to the game. But they aren't going to put themselves out there predicting anything Rosy until they see some tangible results.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins

There's zero chance of the Hogs finishing behind Ole miss.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

We have a pretty favorable schedule. So 6 wins should happen. Should.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.

To be fair, after 4-8 with a new scheme, someone would have to be a little crazy to pick us any higher than 5th, so 7th doesn’t bother me.  We’ll win at least 6, maybe as many as 8 and start to become dangerous in the next couple of years.

McKdaddy

THIS. My first thought as well. All Arkansas fans should be used to it. And we can't be surprised (or offended) by things like this, especially under the current circumstances. A new coach taking over a program that showed a little promise a few years ago, but whose wheels totally fell off last season. Any coach/media pollster would have to pick us last—anything else would be wild speculation—and if we do win 5 SEC games, no voter will feel stupid, because they won't be alone.

Agreed.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!

We are going to lose 8.

Very doubtful.

If we lose 8 games with this manageable schedule, then we may have made the wrong hire.

rtr

BP had to contend with a talented Ole Miss team his first 2 years, one fired up by Hootie especially for the Hogs. What universe do you live in?

Malvin

Like I said, I think it is a knee-jerk reaction without really having an opportunity to evaluate the program up close to determine what we really do have on the roster. This isn't about taking a "homer viewpoint", this is about being more realistic. Throw out the last 5 years except when it comes to the talent remaining on the team (most of whom played in a system at least similar to that of Morris before coming here) and the addition of an offensive innovator and a skilled and experienced DC.

How many of these prognosticators have actually been on campus watching our team as they learn new systems? How many have witnessed team speed up close and personal in our work outs? I would guess none to maybe 1 or 2 at the most.

I understand fans having diminished hopes because of what we have been through in the recent past. But these national guys who are supposed to know what they are talking about? I give them less credence because most haven't been here to see what Morris and Chavis are doing aside from watching an extremely vanilla spring game on t.v., if even that.

I just don't see how you can toss their opinion aside just because they are 'national' guys?  Look I want to be optimistic too, but the reality.. being 'realistic' is right in our face.  The reality is we have zero game changers on our team, most people can hardly name anybody on our team.  Tell me a player the fans should be excited about, who is going to be the difference maker?  I can't name 1 single player at this time.  We might have some talent, they may be hungry but the reality is nobody on this team has proven anything.

And what I witnessed last year, sure you can blame Bret B. for a lot of it.. but it's not all on him.  All you have to do is watch the Coastal Carolina game last year, this was a 1-8 team who was playing all freshman and 1 sophomore on their offensive line... they put up 38 points on us.  Let that sink in for a minute..

So what I'm hearing from the homers is that our defensive this year is going to be incredible.. really, did we get a bunch of 5 star lineman come during the off-season?  Because if it's the same guys who were playing against Coastal Carolina.... please bro, don't insult us all.

This is why we are picked last and nobody should be shocked or pissed about it.  We have a new Administration who has already failed us, splitting the fans by sending SEC games to Little Rock, we have a new coach who is bringing in a new system (this isn't a negative it's just a reality), we don't have a proven QB, we have a returning defensive that gave up 38 points to Coastal Carolina.. I do like the Chavis hire but we should expect him to make gold out of dust in the first year.  We don't really have any star players that have stood out of the past year or two.  We have some strength at running back which is good, but we can only ride that so far this upcoming year.

So, being realistic dead last place is what any logical person should expect this year.  For next year we should see improvement but don't expect to beat Bama.. the reality is for us to become nationally recognized against it takes a lot of things coming together and even if the coaches get the players right, our new AD & Arkansas politics is screwing everything up.  So in true Arkansas form expect last place this year, maybe 5th next year.  The story will be Morris needs his players, he should get a pass, year 3 will be a little better than 5th but he will have a hard time getting his players thanks to having to explain to recruits why they only get 2 SEC home games a year. 

The core problem is Arkansas doesn't understand that to have sustained success you need to have everything come together, everybody on the same page.  And until that happens, which means burning WMS into the ground and never play there again we will never, ever compete at a high level.  And yes I understand that in the past we were able to do that in the 1970's, but it's a very different world now.

Sed76

• Hogvillian

So burning WMS to the ground will get the championship train rolling...good freaking grief. We competed at high levels during the Nutt and Petrino eras playing SEC games.

jkstock04

BP had to contend with a talented Ole Miss team his first 2 years, one fired up by Hootie especially for the Hogs. What universe do you live in?
By 2011 both Mississippi schools were pretty weak. But you have people on here that claim the entire BP tenure the Mississippi schools were pushovers...typical revisionalist history type stuff that is common on here. Ole Miss in the beginning of Nutts tenure obviously had some stout talent. And I'm pretty sure in 2010 Mississippi State finished the year ranked in top 20.

rlamb

I don't know why everyone I so negative about next years prospects? I know one thing for
sure, Cole Kelley is a WINNER. He is the type of guy that will stick his head in a pile most
people wouldn't stick their feet

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

I don't know why everyone I so negative about next years prospects? I know one thing for
sure, Cole Kelley is a WINNER. He is the type of guy that will stick his head in a pile most
people wouldn't stick their feet
I think Cole Kelley is the type of player with tons of moxie and heart. And will fight and give all he's got. The question is does he have enough talent to go along with heart and moxie to lead the team and win? I just don't know. None of us know.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

I just don't see how you can toss their opinion aside just because they are 'national' guys?  Look I want to be optimistic too, but the reality.. being 'realistic' is right in our face.  The reality is we have zero game changers on our team, most people can hardly name anybody on our team.  Tell me a player the fans should be excited about, who is going to be the difference maker?  I can't name 1 single player at this time.  We might have some talent, they may be hungry but the reality is nobody on this team has proven anything.

And what I witnessed last year, sure you can blame Bret B. for a lot of it.. but it's not all on him.  All you have to do is watch the Coastal Carolina game last year, this was a 1-8 team who was playing all freshman and 1 sophomore on their offensive line... they put up 38 points on us.  Let that sink in for a minute..

So what I'm hearing from the homers is that our defensive this year is going to be incredible.. really, did we get a bunch of 5 star lineman come during the off-season?  Because if it's the same guys who were playing against Coastal Carolina.... please bro, don't insult us all.

This is why we are picked last and nobody should be shocked or pissed about it.  We have a new Administration who has already failed us, splitting the fans by sending SEC games to Little Rock, we have a new coach who is bringing in a new system (this isn't a negative it's just a reality), we don't have a proven QB, we have a returning defensive that gave up 38 points to Coastal Carolina.. I do like the Chavis hire but we should expect him to make gold out of dust in the first year.  We don't really have any star players that have stood out of the past year or two.  We have some strength at running back which is good, but we can only ride that so far this upcoming year.

So, being realistic dead last place is what any logical person should expect this year.  For next year we should see improvement but don't expect to beat Bama.. the reality is for us to become nationally recognized against it takes a lot of things coming together and even if the coaches get the players right, our new AD & Arkansas politics is screwing everything up.  So in true Arkansas form expect last place this year, maybe 5th next year.  The story will be Morris needs his players, he should get a pass, year 3 will be a little better than 5th but he will have a hard time getting his players thanks to having to explain to recruits why they only get 2 SEC home games a year. 

The core problem is Arkansas doesn't understand that to have sustained success you need to have everything come together, everybody on the same page.  And until that happens, which means burning WMS into the ground and never play there again we will never, ever compete at a high level.  And yes I understand that in the past we were able to do that in the 1970's, but it's a very different world now.

You continue to ask how I can feel the way I do about the opinions of national sports writers and I have already told you my reasoning. As for your assertion of the Hogs not having any "difference makers" on the team, we just disagree. I believe we do have some guys who are going to assert themselves in these new systems and when that happens, we will probably see some others rise up and play better as well. It isn't unusual to see that happen. A rising tide can lift all boats, as it applies in this situation. And this has nothing to do with playing games at WMS so let's not turn this into yet another GSD. You and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Mkcmobile

• Band Nerd

The questions I have is what kind of season do we need to keep 2019 commits interested in coming?  What kind do we need to get them excited?  What kind do we need to get those prospects who don’t commit until late to choose us?

jkstock04

You continue to ask how I can feel the way I do about the opinions of national sports writers and I have already told you my reasoning. As for your assertion of the Hogs not having any "difference makers" on the team, we just disagree. I believe we do have some guys who are going to assert themselves in these new systems and when that happens, we will probably see some others rise up and play better as well. It isn't unusual to see that happen. A rising tide can lift all boats, as it applies in this situation. And this has nothing to do with playing games at WMS so let's not turn this into yet another GSD. You and I will just have to agree to disagree.
Who would you consider a playmaker or difference maker on this team? I think that's a fair question.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

What happened last year was more than 90% the fault of Bret and his staff. The Hogs had a Head Coach and an OC who did not agree on how the offense should be run and how the talent was used not to mention an atrocious OL coach. Even worse Bret tried to run the 3-4 defense with players that were recruited to run the 4-3 and as a result, they looked like Ducks out of water. THAT is why teams like Coastal Carolina were able score 38 points on the Hog D. It's wasn't a talent or experience problem.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Who would you consider a playmaker or difference maker on this team? I think that's a fair question.

Offense:

3 RBs, 2 WRs, and Froholdt. It's also been said that Kelley has the "IT" factor.

Defense:

Agim, Ramsey, Dorian Gerald, Greenlaw, Pulley.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

I almost hate to get into this discussion because inevitably someone is going to begin to make negative comments about current players (which as we all know is not allowed) that might be mentioned, if they disagree with the opinion of other posters. I hope that no one will do that.

Having said that, I think a good start would be mentioning the pre-season ALL SEC picks from Athlon.

LB De’Jon Harris
LB Dre Greenlaw
DL McTelvin Agim
S Santos Ramirez
CB Ryan Pulley
OL Hjalte Froholdt
KR De’Vion Warren

I think that you can add to that list:

S Kamren Curl
DE/LB Randy Ramsey
DB Kevin Richardson
RB Devwah Whaley
RB Chase Hayden
OL Brian Wallace
TE Jeremy Patton
WR Jared Cornelius
WR Jonathon Nance
WR Brandon Martin

All of these have greater potential to be difference makers for the team and I think the offensive and defensive schemes will help provide these kids with those opportunities.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.

De'Jon Harris
Dre Greenlaw
Ryan Pulley
Kevin Richardson
Santos Ramirez
Hjalte Froholdt
Jared Cornelius
Devwah Whaley
McTelvin Agim
Cheyenne O'Grady

Waiting to breakout:

Jeremy Patton
Brandon Martin
Jonathan Nance
Chase Hayden
T.J. Hammonds
Brian Wallace
Jalen Merrick
La'Michael Pettway
Kamren Curl
Chevin Calloway
Briston Guidry
Jamario Bell
Austin Capps
Cole Kelley
Ty Storey
Daulton Hyatt

Newcomers most likely to contribute and possibly breakout in 2018:

Dorian Gerald
Billy Ferrell
Connor Noland
Rakeem Boyd
John Stephen Jones

This team has as much experienced talent spread across the roster as any we've had in a while.  We don't have an established QB and we are changing coaches and offensive schemes.  We play in the toughest division in college football.  But we have several QBs who can make the right reads and distribute the ball to the playmakers.  And there are a bunch of them on offense.  Defense, too.

This is going to be a dangerous football team capable of winning almost any game on the schedule. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.

I almost hate to get into this discussion because inevitably someone is going to begin to make negative comments about current players (which as we all know is not allowed) that might be mentioned, if they disagree with the opinion of other posters. I hope that no one will do that.

Having said that, I think a good start would be mentioning the pre-season ALL SEC picks from Athlon.

LB De’Jon Harris
LB Dre Greenlaw
DL McTelvin Agim
S Santos Ramirez
CB Ryan Pulley
OL Hjalte Froholdt
KR De’Vion Warren

S Kamren Curl
DE/LB Randy Ramsey
DB Kevin Richardson
RB Devwah Whaley
RB Chase Hayden
OL Brian Wallace
TE Jeremy Patton
WR Jared Cornelius
WR Jonathon Nance
WR Brandon Martin

All of these have greater potential to be difference makers for the team and I think the offensive and defensive schemes will help provide these kids with those opportunities.

Jinx.

jkstock04

LB De’Jon Harris
LB Dre Greenlaw
DL McTelvin Agim
S Santos Ramirez
CB Ryan Pulley
OL Hjalte Froholdt
KR De’Vion Warren

S Kamren Curl
DE/LB Randy Ramsey
DB Kevin Richardson
RB Devwah Whaley
RB Chase Hayden
OL Brian Wallace
TE Jeremy Patton
WR Jared Cornelius
WR Jonathon Nance
WR Brandon Martin

We will see. I'm talking a skill player along the lines of Mallett, Joe Adams, Hunter Henry, knile Davis, Alex Collins, etc. I thought the same thing last year we just didn't really have anyone stand out as a dominant play maker.

I agree in that this system/scheme should be more player friendly.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas