• 9,934,335 Posts
• 399,442 Topics
• 22,898 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: An anonymous SEC coach gave this scorching take on Malzahn in national magazine  (Read 10868 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

This is pretty funny considering we gave him leverage to get his raise and a new contract.

Lindyís Sports annual college magazine typically asks SEC football coaches about the other teams in the conference and prints their responses under the condition of anonymity.

When the topic of Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn came up, one coach didnít hold back. "Auburn is paying Gus Malzahn $50 million [Malzahnís seven-year contract pays him $49 million], and he underachieved again," the SEC coach told Lindyís. "If Nick Saban had Auburn's talent, he'd have won national championships the last two years. Auburn had the best front seven in college ball last year, but the offense sometimes disappears."

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article211908389.html#storylink=cpy

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.

Glad itís them and not us stuck with that deal.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rhames

Man I sure would love to underachieve if it meant winning the sec west.

wildhogman

What Gus did last year is equal to what Nutt did in 98. and 2006.  I doubt any of us want to repeat that again.  I also doubt Sabin cares that Gussie won the west. Look at that shiny new ring on one of his 5, or is it 6 fingers now? 
People need to get over the man crush on gussie

HoginMemphis

This is pretty funny considering we gave him leverage to get his raise and a new contract.

Lindyís Sports annual college magazine typically asks SEC football coaches about the other teams in the conference and prints their responses under the condition of anonymity.

When the topic of Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn came up, one coach didnít hold back. "Auburn is paying Gus Malzahn $50 million [Malzahnís seven-year contract pays him $49 million], and he underachieved again," the SEC coach told Lindyís. "If Nick Saban had Auburn's talent, he'd have won national championships the last two years. Auburn had the best front seven in college ball last year, but the offense sometimes disappears."

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article211908389.html#storylink=cpy

That anonymous coach is beyond jealous of Gus's giant contract.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:41:43 pm by HoginMemphis »

McKdaddy

^^^^

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Me too, but not the way Gus did it. The Guy is dirty and I don't want the Hog HC to be dirty.

longtimeHogfan

I was hesitant and lukewarm toward Gus and had been for years.  But following yet another lackluster performance by Bret I reluctantly started to buy in to Gus' "It's my dream job" comments.  Ok, let's pay him, get him over here and see what he can do.  I am thankful every day that didn't work out. 

McKdaddy

I was hesitant and lukewarm toward Gus and had been for years.  But following yet another lackluster performance by Bret I reluctantly started to buy in to Gus' "It's my dream job" comments.  Ok, let's pay him, get him over here and see what he can do.  I am thankful every day that didn't work out. 

Agreed. I wanted to give Gus a shot, but not at the rumored price.

jkstock04

What Gus did last year is equal to what Nutt did in 98. and 2006.  I doubt any of us want to repeat that again.  I also doubt Sabin cares that Gussie won the west. Look at that shiny new ring on one of his 5, or is it 6 fingers now? 
I would love to repeat those years again. Beats winning 4 games.

rhames

No man crush here.

And I'm not sure why we, or gus, should care what Saban thinks. He his in a league of his own. You do realize it wasn't Nick Saban who said that right? Most likely some position coach somewhere.

And those years beat the last few.

2006 was the best razorback team we have had since joining the SEC. I'd love that again.

rtr

Not sure I would put much stock in anonymous quotes by SEC Coaches.  Coaches by definition have an agenda to build up their own teams and denigrate their opponents.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I would love to repeat those years again. Beats winning 4 games.
Me too. Is this even a debate?
We were actually relevant.

Gus is not overrated. He is, indeed, now way overpaid.
As I said at the time, short term win for him, long term loss. The pressure on him will only get worse...and it's already started, as evidenced by the comments in this article.

I said same thing about John Chavis. I wanted him, but not at his A&M salary. I would have taken Gus, sure, but didn't want that price.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Executive Consulting LLC

So what was said about us?

HognitiveDissonance

Not sure I would put much stock in anonymous quotes by SEC Coaches.  Coaches by definition have an agenda to build up their own teams and denigrate their opponents.
Actually I put more stock in these once-a-year anonymous quotes for these preseason magazines than anything else they ever say. It's the only time of year you get some actual candor. Remember last year a coach had similar comments about Bielema (time to put up or shut up, he's overrated, etc...I'm paraphrasing). People were speculating who said it. Was is Mullen..was it Malzahn...?

In official settings, all you get from coaches usually, are clichťs and coach speak. 'They got a nice team' 'We'll have to be on our game to beat these guys'....etc etc. Which is what I would do too. I would never give bulletin board material, or allow my players to do the same. But I might give some of my real opinions if I knew it was anonymous.

rhames

Actually I put more stock in these once-a-year anonymous quotes for these preseason magazines than anything else they ever say. It's the only time of year you get some actual candor. Remember last year a coach had similar comments about Bielema (time to put up or shut up, he's overrated, etc...I'm paraphrasing). People were speculating who said it. Was is Mullen..was it Malzahn...?

In official settings, all you get from coaches usually, are clichťs and coach speak. 'They got a nice team' 'We'll have to be on our game to beat these guys'....etc etc. Which is what I would do too. I would never give bulletin board material, or allow my players to do the same. But I might give some of my real opinions if I knew it was anonymous.

I'm telling you, it isn't head coaches saying this stuff.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

I agree, but does it really matter whether it was a Coordinator or a Position Coach who are saying these things?

rhames

I agree, but does it really matter whether it was a Coordinator or a Position Coach who are saying these things?

It could if there is bias. One guy may have a grudge or what not.

Most of the time I find the quotes insightful. I just was trying to steer people away from trying to guess what head coach said it, when most likely it was a position coach.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior

It may not be head coaches saying it but it representative of what a lot of people think who ever said it. Just because Auburn has been doing better than us doesn't mean Gus is living up to his potential. He hasn't been consistent even with the talent they have been pulling in. His stunt of flirting with Arkansas is going to put him on a very short leash on the plains.  It won't take more than one or two unexpected or embarrassing losses to get him packing.     

rhames

It may not be head coaches saying it but it representative of what a lot of people think who ever said it. Just because Auburn has been doing better than us doesn't mean Gus is living up to his potential. He hasn't been consistent even with the talent they have been pulling in. His stunt of flirting with Arkansas is going to put him on a very short leash on the plains.  It won't take more than one or two unexpected or embarrassing losses to get him packing.     

I didn't say what was said was wrong or right. Also the expectations at Auburn are and should be different than Arkansas.

He may be a short leash, always will be at Auburn,  but they thought enough to pony up and pay him. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!

"Auburn had the best front seven in college ball last year..." ??

If that was indeed the case, then they wouldn't have lost to LSU (one of the weakest LSU teams in recent times) and they wouldn't have lost to UCF.

They also would have given Georgia a better game in the SEC Conference Championship game.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

"Auburn had the best front seven in college ball last year..." ??

If that was indeed the case, then they wouldn't have lost to LSU (one of the weakest LSU teams in recent times) and they wouldn't have lost to UCF.

They also would have given Georgia a better game in the SEC Conference Championship game.

And as the quoted coach said, "the offense sometimes disappears", as it did vs. LSU and Georgia and the reason they lost to UCF was giving up 3 T/O's. It was the offense that failed, not the defense.

LRRandy

I guess it's hard to measure what his exact potential should be, seeing that he is playing in a division against a coach that has dominated an era like no other coach or team has dominated. Ever. With that however, he has won the sec and played for a national championship and in another season went to the sec championship game with a chance to play for another. Smack dab in the middle of Tuscalucifer's run at Bama.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!

And as the quoted coach said, "the offense sometimes disappears", as it did vs. LSU and Georgia and the reason they lost to UCF was giving up 3 T/O's. It was the offense that failed, not the defense.

Malzahn and Kevin Steele would probably disagree that they had the best front seven in college ball last year.

They saw firsthand in week 2 last season what was the best when Auburn's QB got sacked 11 times in that week 2 game.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Malzahn and Kevin Steele would probably disagree that they had the best front seven in college ball last year.

They saw firsthand in week 2 last season what was the best when Auburn's QB got sacked 11 times in that week 2 game.

Best front 7 in week two and best front seven for the year are two different things, but let's leave it at that so you don't feel compelled (once again) to bring Clemson into the conversation.

bigalphahawg

Agreed. I wanted to give Gus a shot, but not at the rumored price.
Yes sir. 

PorkSoda

you mean the deal of having NC caliber talent but coming up short?  must suck

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

Some coach sounds bitter over his own pay vs Gus. 

RazorWest

• Varsity

Gus played us for a better contract.  He has proven to be a good coach, I don't think he's proven to be elite.  How an Arkansas fan can like Gus still is beyond me after he played us the way he did.  I was on the Gus bus prior to last year because I had met him numerous times and thought of him as above the usual coaching politics.  He wasn't

hawginbigd1

So i post this article the day before you and within minutes its moved to SEC, but here this one sits days later.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior

I guess it's hard to measure what his exact potential should be, seeing that he is playing in a division against a coach that has dominated an era like no other coach or team has dominated. Ever. With that however, he has won the sec and played for a national championship and in another season went to the sec championship game with a chance to play for another. Smack dab in the middle of Tuscalucifer's run at Bama.

Well if you just measure by recruiting classes the last 4 years he's had the 9th, 9th, 8th  and 6th recruiting classes in the country and in that time he had 8, 7 , 8  and 10 wins.  Now that's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but isn't great either.  He's only managed to win one Bowl game in his time at Auburn.  Even Bielema did better than that at Atkansas.  I'm just saying for a guy that gets genius attached to his name a lot, he seems pretty pedestrian.

Alabama is only one game a year fro him the same as for everybody else.  If he was only losing to Alabama then yes I'd say he was a pretty great coach.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

So i post this article the day before you and within minutes its moved to SEC, but here this one sits days later.

I'm sorry that upset you. I didn't do it and I didn't see your article or I wouldn't have posted this.

hawginbigd1

I'm sorry that upset you. I didn't do it and I didn't see your article or I wouldn't have posted this.
Upset is a bridge too far LOL

gawntrail

• Senior

Anonymous sourcing is not reporting.  It is editorializing.

(notOM)Rebel123

Gus played us for a better contract.  He has proven to be a good coach, I don't think he's proven to be elite.  How an Arkansas fan can like Gus still is beyond me after he played us the way he did.  I was on the Gus bus prior to last year because I had met him numerous times and thought of him as above the usual coaching politics.  He wasn't

Auburn was the one who got played. They are on the hook for $49 million, not us.

majp51

The Joy of anonymous quotes. Number 1, the phrasing of the paragraph means this might not even be a Head Coach, and Number 2 with no fear of reprisal the Coach can say want he wants including using the reporting to grind an axe.

Now it doesn't mean Malzahn team did not underachieve, just that this is classic mud slinging

Mike Irwin

Malzahn uses people. He's shameless. He's dumped on former colleagues, players and friends to advance his own career.

However it is worth nothing that Chad Morris claims Malzahn as one of his best friends. Says he would have left coaching years ago had Malzahn not helped him change his offensive philosophy when he was about to be fired.

So if Gus used Arkansas to get what he wanted at Auburn will that matter if Morris succeeds here? Those who tried to hire Gus paid attention when Gus told them, You can't get me but Chad Morris has the same coaching philosophy I do. Hire him.

Actually many here have already figured it out. Arkansas got an innovative offensive coach without all the baggage Malzahn would have brought with him.

Al Boarland

So if Gus used Arkansas to get what he wanted at Auburn will that matter if Morris succeeds here? Those who tried to hire Gus paid attention when Gus told them, You can't get me but Chad Morris has the same coaching philosophy I do. Hire him.

Now we know who to blame if it doesn't work out.

(notOM)Rebel123

Malzahn uses people. He's shameless. He's dumped on former colleagues, players and friends to advance his own career.

However it is worth nothing that Chad Morris claims Malzahn as one of his best friends. Says he would have left coaching years ago had Malzahn not helped him change his offensive philosophy when he was about to be fired.

Actually many here have already figured it out. Arkansas got an innovative offensive coach without all the baggage Malzahn would have brought with him.

Bingo!

Skandar Jackson

• If you've got the time we've got the beer.

Mike you've been around Morris, CBB, Houston, and Petrino.  Who's a better X's and O's guys in your opinion?  How would you rank them?

HoginMemphis

Really? I do not recall Malzahn ever having said one word about Nutt and the way Nutt and posse treated him when he was OC at Arkansas. I think Bielema used Arkansas far more than Malzahn has used anyone along his way. At least Malzahn accomplished something. Arkansas was 7-1 in the SEC during Malzahn's single year as OC at Arkansas. Bielema barely won 7 SEC games in 5 years at Arkansas.

Gus didn't use Arkansas to get what he wanted at Auburn. Arkansas prostituted itself and Malzahn remained faithful and turned them down and got a raise from his current employer due to having a good record there. Long gave Bielema a big raise a few years ago after beating a horrible Texas team in a weak bowl game. Arkansas has had the worst leadership in the SEC over the past 20 years, from BOT, to chancellors, to AD's to head coaches.

nwahogfan1

We will use many of the same schemes as Gus because of their close relationship then if we are to be successful on offense while Gus has not been then will it the scheme, the Coaching, the personal or the play calling that makes us more successful??????  Of course the years under BB Gus offense ran and passed all over us. 

rljjr

That anonymous coach is beyond jealous of Gus's giant contract.

Nope, that coach is ramping up the pressure and creating division among the "family." Some of them will read it and say he's right. By comparing Auburn to Bama he's making them seethe. It's going to reach a boiling point for Gus sooner rather than later. This coach took an already tense situation over Gus' new contract and is trolling those West Georgian football fans hard. It's brilliant.

Mike Irwin

Mike you've been around Morris, CBB, Houston, and Petrino.  Who's a better X's and O's guys in your opinion?  How would you rank them?
I haven't been around Morris long enough to form an opinion on him on that. I would rate Petrino way ahead of Nutt and Bielema.

31to6

I haven't been around Morris long enough to form an opinion on him on that. I would rate Petrino way ahead of Nutt and Bielema.
From afar it sure seemed that way.

Nutt scorned "play calling" as overrated.
Bielema has delegated it for over a decade.
but Petrino *lived* for it.

It's hard to be great at something you are not passionate about.

Mike Irwin

Really? I do not recall Malzahn ever having said one word about Nutt and the way Nutt and posse treated him when he was OC at Arkansas. I think Bielema used Arkansas far more than Malzahn has used anyone along his way. At least Malzahn accomplished something. Arkansas was 7-1 in the SEC during Malzahn's single year as OC at Arkansas. Bielema barely won 7 SEC games in 5 years at Arkansas.

Gus didn't use Arkansas to get what he wanted at Auburn. Arkansas prostituted itself and Malzahn remained faithful and turned them down and got a raise from his current employer due to having a good record there. Long gave Bielema a big raise a few years ago after beating a horrible Texas team in a weak bowl game. Arkansas has had the worst leadership in the SEC over the past 20 years, from BOT, to chancellors, to AD's to head coaches.

Mazahn never publicly complains. He gets others to do that. His wife came into NWA last fall and told her friends that they were house hunting because he was likely going to be fired. That started the movement to hire him at Arkansas because they had friends in high places who could make it happen. He didn't talk directly to anyone conducting the job search. He's much too smart for that. They dealt with his agent who openly encouraged them. I've been told that is wife did talk directly to some of her friends and she indicated that she had her fingers crossed that it would work out because she and Gus wanted to come home.

As for this: "Arkansas prostituted itself and Malzahn remained faithful and turned them down and got a raise from his current employer due to having a good record there" You are clueless. I have seen how he uses people. I have talked with parents of his former players. I've talked with men who have coached under him. He is infamous for unkept promises.

I also know a few longtime Auburn boosters who are royally ticked at the way he used the offer from Arkansas to convince their AD and BOT to give him that huge contract.

However he is not Arkansas' problem and that was the point of my original post.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Gus is dirty PERIOD, and he always has been. Nutt was to blame for the problems in 2006 but Gus had blood on his hands too.

Al Boarland

Mazahn never publicly complains. He gets others to do that. His wife came into NWA last fall and told her friends that they were house hunting because he was likely going to be fired. That started the movement to hire him at Arkansas because they had friends in high places who could make it happen. He didn't talk directly to anyone conducting the job search. He's much too smart for that. They dealt with his agent who openly encouraged them. I've been told that is wife did talk directly to some of her friends and she indicated that she had her fingers crossed that it would work out because she and Gus wanted to come home.

As for this: "Arkansas prostituted itself and Malzahn remained faithful and turned them down and got a raise from his current employer due to having a good record there" You are clueless. I have seen how he uses people. I have talked with parents of his former players. I've talked with men who have coached under him. He is infamous for unkept promises.

I also know a few longtime Auburn boosters who are royally ticked at the way he used the offer from Arkansas to convince their AD and BOT to give him that huge contract.

Honestly seems like the same thing that happens in business all the time. If you think you are going to lose your job you leverage your connections/network. I'm always entertained by your perception of things. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:42:35 pm by Al Boarland »

(notOM)Rebel123

This is absolutely correct. GM is a master at getting others to speak on his behalf and he comes off as some kind of martyr. He knows just how to play his followers.
Sorry HogInMemphis....you are just wrong on this.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

We will use many of the same schemes as Gus because of their close relationship then if we are to be successful on offense while Gus has not been then will it the scheme, the Coaching, the personal or the play calling that makes us more successful??????  Of course the years under BB Gus offense ran and passed all over us. 

I believe that the offensive scheme itself will allow us a better opportunity to compete at a higher level with lesser personnel (on average across the board) than we had under Bielema. It will certainly provide us with an opportunity to be more competitive and perhaps not get our ears pinned back by more talented opponents.

The only thing that will help us rise consistently to a higher level of competition and achievement is increasing the amount of talent that we have on campus. Can Morris accomplish this? He believes he can by recreating the Clemson model at Arkansas, which was basically built on classes that averaged somewhere around #15 in the nation. Of course this is the SEC West and not the ACC so we will see if this can be accomplished in time. Being that we are in the SEC West, that may be his biggest challenge and perhaps a far bigger challenge to accomplish than he helped to do at Clemson at the time. I hope he can. Moving up to an average of #15 would add a tremendous amount of talent to this team.

We also have to hope that Chavis has renewed motivation in what is probably the last great opportunity of his career to build a feared defense. That too will take recruiting and may not be able to happen overnight, but if he can turn this defense into something that ranks above average in the nation in less than one season, he may deserve the Broyles Award. It isn't impossible but while he implements his signature "pressure defense" up front, he is going to have to evaluate and position players in the back end that can effectively defend the pass and be more aggressive in creating INT's. His defenses at A&M didn't accomplish that despite being Sack leaders. Can't just allow them throw it over or around your pressure.

So in the end, it doesn't require just one of the things that you mentioned...it isn't just one or the other, it is combination or all of the above that comes together and functions as a well oiled machine.

We will see how long it takes Morris and Chavis to get this put together.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas