Pages:
Actions
  • #51 by Inhogswetrust on 25 May 2018
  • It may be somewhat annoying, but it's a huge advantage to be able to pick what play you run AFTER you see how the defense lines up.

True but some defensive coaches are good at disguising their intentions before the snap.
  • #52 by ricepig on 25 May 2018
  • Yep, but all HUNH Spread offenses are very similar. The one Kelley ran in High School is the one Gus ran at Springdale with Mustain and Gus is Chad Morris's mentor.

It is? Do you have any tape that suggests it's the one that Gus ran at Springdale, and not the the one Todd Dodge ran at SLC, or Shawn Liotta at Uniontown, PA?
  • #53 by rzrbaxfan on 25 May 2018
  • I was with him until "Bret never lost that team".

Bret lost them at Auburn in 2016.  Since that game he was 6-11 (3-9 in SEC play).
  • #54 by Tejano Jawg on 25 May 2018

• It is too early to tell if this is a 1998 situation, when HDN was able to motivate the crap out of what Danny Ford left him. I think we'll get some bump from CM's style and enthusiasm, but I'm not confident we'll see more of a bump than 6-6 in his first year.

We don't know how successful we'll be in 2018, but one thing we have in common with 1998ÖI doubt we all have super-high expectations. You could say the same for the 1977 team, when Holtz came in following a 5-5-1 season. Those 2 head coaches, like our current new coach, certainly had charisma. And yeah, we'll see if Morris' style can put us over the top in a game we shouldn't winÖand overall, what he makes of the hand he was dealt, talent-wise.

As for the players, when the 1977 and 1998 seasons started, I don't think we had any idea how many all-conference, all-American, all-decade players that would surface. Those teams had 2 of the best secondaries ever at Arkansas. Several guys on those teams had nice NFL careers and one ended up a Hall-of-Famer. What's on our roster nowÖprobably not talent on that level, but I believe much more than we've seen so far.
  • #55 by Jborohog09 on 25 May 2018
  • Exactly. Kelley's style of play is very similar to the QB that started the last 2 years at SMU under Morris.

CK and Ben Hicks aren't similar at all.
  • #56 by snoot hoggy hog on 25 May 2018
  • This is all Gus
  • #57 by ChicoHog on 25 May 2018
  • Still hate it. 
    Me too.  All this talk about rule changes every year makes me wish they would outlaw that.  Make the QB read the defense and make adjustments instead of being a puppet for the coaching staff.  Also the illegal linemen 3-5 yards down the field.  Two rule changes I would vote for! 
  • #58 by bolo1010 on 26 May 2018
  • I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Gus didn't use a dual Threat QB at Springdale. Mustain was a pure shotgun passing QB just like Kelley is. Granted, Kelley isn't as mobile as Mustain was but his style of play is similar to Mustain's but with a better arm.

I remember when Mustain was being highly recruited I went and watched him play in the championship game their senior year at WMS.  Then I seen why he had so many yards passing.  Damian Williams was a beast. Just a quick out route or a slant and he would take it to the house.  After watching that game I wasnít as impressed with as much with Mustain as I was with the coaching job Gus had done by using his players wisely.

Love him or hate him Gus is a great coach.  He brought the wildcat/wildhog to the forefront because he seen we was freaking loaded in backfield and he knew the best way to use our weapons.  Thatís what good coaches do. Iím not a coach or ever been a coach but I am smart enough to know that even if a coach has his own style he likes to run, if itís not working by the books with the jimmy and joes, you conform your style/playbook to conform with what you got. 

I donít know if Gus ever ran the wildcat much while he was at Springdale (canít remember and too lazy to google) but I always thought he was good at using his offensive weapons to their best abilities on the field.

And honestly I donít know much about coach Morris.  But if the players and fan base hate that a coach leaves for another job and respect his decision and donít bash him for leaving,  then he must not only be a helluva of a coach but a helluva good leader.  And people forget that these are kids that 90% or more ainít going to make a living playing football.  They need a good role model and that why players and coaches speak so highly of him.

Anyway.. thatís my 2 cents
  • #59 by Ex-Trumpet on 26 May 2018
  • I'm not sure whether it's a roster depleted in talent or a roster filled with misused talent. Probably a bit of both.

We're set at running back, and it'll be interesting to see if this staff can get more consistent production out of TJ Hammonds. I agree with the writer(s) of the referenced piece; I'm not sure that our starting quarterback in two years is on campus yet. We have some depth in our receiving corps; time will tell if we have quality there in the numbers CM will need to run his offense. We need more depth on the offensive line.

I feel better defensively with John Chavis, and I have a lot of confidence in Coach Caldwell. We do have some talent on that side of the ball, in all position groups.

It is too early to tell if this is a 1998 situation, when HDN was able to motivate the crap out of what Danny Ford left him. I think we'll get some bump from CM's style and enthusiasm, but I'm not confident we'll see more of a bump than 6-6 in his first year.   

I think 6-6 is very conservative given the 2018 schedule.  Could be better due to this--and considerably better with a couple good breaks.

Or worse...we really have no idea what to expect!!  :)
  • #60 by PonderinHog on 26 May 2018
  • I think 6-6 is very conservative given the 2018 schedule.  Could be better due to this--and considerably better with a couple good breaks.

Or worse...we really have no idea what to expect!!  :)
    That pretty much covers all the possibilities!   :D
  • #61 by seasonhog on 27 May 2018
  • It doesn't matter that some of Petrino's recruits never played for him. They were still HIS recruits. Regardless of where they were drafted, there were indeed more than a hand full of Petrino recruits drafted by NFL teams during Bielema's tenure.

Good posts Guv.........I have knows for many, many years that some sort of the spread is best at AR.......when Long fired Petrino he set this program back many years as we have seen......when we hired a coach that said he was going to run the ball down Al throat.....well we got what we got.

I agree with you about Kelley.
  • #62 by Rzbakfromwaybak on 28 May 2018

• Not really concerned what opposing coaches are saying about us, & our first year coach that hasn't coached a game yet.  This time next year, after 1 season under Morris & new styles... opinions could be more credible. 
  • #63 by goodguytex on 28 May 2018
  • What I wish Long had done, when he was looking for someone to replace Petrino... Was hire a coach that ran a system like he did. Someone like a Gundy at OSU, or Peterson at Boise at the time. We made a try at Both I think, just couldn't feel them in. But getting Bielema, who changed systems completely... Set us back. Now we're going back to a spread type of system. So it's going to be a pretty substantial adjustment.

On paper though, Bielema was extremely qualified to be our HC. Actually him and Petrino were equally the most qualified to be our HC. More than any others we've hired since maybe Danny Ford. But all 3 of those people crashed and Burned. Now we go back to hiring a HC that doesn't have as extensive a resume. We will see how it all works out.
  • #64 by MuskogeeHogFan on 28 May 2018
  • What I wish Long had done, when he was looking for someone to replace Petrino... Was hire a coach that ran a system like he did. Someone like a Gundy at OSU, or Peterson at Boise at the time. We made a try at Both I think, just couldn't feel them in. But getting Bielema, who changed systems completely... Set us back. Now we're going back to a spread type of system. So it's going to be a pretty substantial adjustment.

On paper though, Bielema was extremely qualified to be our HC. Actually him and Petrino were equally the most qualified to be our HC. More than any others we've hired since maybe Danny Ford. But all 3 of those people crashed and Burned. Now we go back to hiring a HC that doesn't have as extensive a resume. We will see how it all works out.

Allegedly they made a run at Gundy and it helped him get a better deal at OSU. I think he would have been a good fit here as he is from this region and knows what it is like to recruit against teams with a greater national reputation as top programs. Plus, if we want to talk about doing more with less, he has certainly proven he has the ability to do exactly that.

Petersen was never a serious option. He is pretty much tied to the northwest for several reasons and some of those having nothing to do with football.

Bielema (my opinion) just underestimated the enormity of the task of being successful in the SEC with his particular brand of football. His brand of power football would have required that he recruit at a significantly higher level that Arkansas has not been able to accomplish since joining the SEC. Why he thought he could just bring the Big Ten template for success to SEC, utilizing talent on the same level with what he had at Wisconsin, is beyond me. I know he believed strongly in player development and some kids did grow into really good players, but not enough, often enough. He found out what it is like to be in the SEC West meat grinder week-in and week-out. This isn't the Big Ten West. This was a very humbling learning experience for Bielema.

Until Arkansas can put together a 4-5 year run of seasons like 2010 and 2011, we will most usually be looking for a coach along the lines of Morris. Someone who has had tremendous success at places like Tulsa and then Clemson, but who has not had real success at a major P-5 school. Great facilities help, being a member of the toughest division in all of college football helps as well (or does it?), but consistent winning will help more.
  • #65 by goodguytex on 28 May 2018
  • Allegedly they made a run at Gundy and it helped him get a better deal at OSU. I think he would have been a good fit here as he is from this region and knows what it is like to recruit against teams with a greater national reputation as top programs. Plus, if we want to talk about doing more with less, he has certainly proven he has the ability to do exactly that.

Petersen was never a serious option. He is pretty much tied to the northwest for several reasons and some of those having nothing to do with football.

Bielema (my opinion) just underestimated the enormity of the task of being successful in the SEC with his particular brand of football. His brand of power football would have required that he recruit at a significantly higher level that Arkansas has not been able to accomplish since joining the SEC. Why he thought he could just bring the Big Ten template for success to SEC, utilizing talent on the same level with what he had at Wisconsin, is beyond me. I know he believed strongly in player development and some kids did grow into really good players, but not enough, often enough. He found out what it is like to be in the SEC West meat grinder week-in and week-out. This isn't the Big Ten West. This was a very humbling learning experience for Bielema.

Until Arkansas can put together a 4-5 year run of seasons like 2010 and 2011, we will most usually be looking for a coach along the lines of Morris. Someone who has had tremendous success at places like Tulsa and then Clemson, but who has not had real success at a major P-5 school. Great facilities help, being a member of the toughest division in all of college football helps as well (or does it?), but consistent winning will help more.
    Yeah. Kind of like the chicken and the egg thing. We just have to keep trying to find the right fit... The right Dan Mullen type of person, that can bring in the right way of doing things and make it work very well. And Morris may be that guy. We just can't know yet.
  • #66 by GuvHog on 28 May 2018

• Good posts Guv.........I have knows for many, many years that some sort of the spread is best at AR.......when Long fired Petrino he set this program back many years as we have seen......when we hired a coach that said he was going to run the ball down Al throat.....well we got what we got.

Exactly. When Long hired Bret Bielema, he tried to put a square peg in a round hole and doomed the program to failure. A good AD would never hire an HC that runs an offense the exact opposite of the one the players already on campus were recruited to run. To do that is the equivalent of shelving an entire football program and starting over from the ground up. That wasn't necessary at Arkansas.

The saving grace for Chad Morris is that most of the offensive players he inherited at Arkansas, ran a form of the Spread while in High School and it's the offense they prefer to run.
  • #67 by goodguytex on 28 May 2018
  • Exactly. When Long hired Bret Bielema, he tried to put a square  in a round hole and doomed the program to failure. A good AD would never hire an HC that runs an offense the exact opposite of the one the players already on campus were recruited to run. To do that is the equivalent of shelving an entire football program and starting over from the ground up. That wasn't necessary at Arkansas.

The saving grace for Chad Morris is that most of the offensive players he inherited at Arkansas, ran a form of the Spread while in High School and it's the offense they prefer to run.
    And Enos was pretty pass heavy with his playcalling most of his tenure at Arkansas too.
  • #68 by GuvHog on 28 May 2018
  • And Enos was pretty pass heavy with his playcalling most of his tenure at Arkansas too.

True but he wanted to run the HUNH Spread which Bielema let him do just a bit late last season. Unfortunately Bielema wouldn't let go of his antiquated Big 10 offense and made Enos go back to it.
  • #69 by Biggus Piggus on 28 May 2018
  • I was with him until "Bret never lost that team".

Bret lost them at Auburn in 2016.  Since that game he was 6-11 (3-9 in SEC play).

Yes, very much agree with you. Saying Bielema didn't lose the team is way off. The 2017 collapse was all on Bielema, and it started with his oblivious leadership in 2016.
  • #70 by Biggus Piggus on 28 May 2018
  • And Enos was pretty pass heavy with his playcalling most of his tenure at Arkansas too.

That is our only saving grace in the short term. The offensive line was not good, but it was less bad at pass protection. Unfortunately, the WR corps had too many possession receivers and few playmakers.

The personnel moves we see from Morris and staff between now and August will say all we need to know about the quality of talent on the Arkansas roster. If they're not experimenting like crazy, I'll be stunned.
  • #71 by Superhog1959 on 28 May 2018
  • I dream of a year when we start like 6-0 or 7-0, been along time. Every year I get excited and start thinking maybe this is the year. This year I decided to try to stand back, and think open minded and try to evaluate what I know with what I saw in the spring. I can understand where other coaches would think or predict we would be last in the west if not last in the entire conference. Here are my hopefully open minded thoughts.

1. New coach and new system. I think and hope Morris will eventually build a good team here. Realistically this year, hard to imagine having allot of success.

2. Looking at Morris first years at SMU, I would expect near the same here. Maybe 4 games the first year, any more would be great.

3. In the long run, defense will be the key. We will either score fast, or punt fast. The defense needs to be good and deep.

4. Special teams. No body says much about special teams, but ST is the difference in allot of games.

With that said, I could see 4 to 5 wins this year. I guess we will see. Nothing wrong with hoping for more. And i am.
  • #72 by Boss Hog in the Arkansas on 28 May 2018
  • The last sentence is the most important part of the article and the #1 reason Chad will do better than bielema
  • #73 by HF#1 on 29 May 2018
  • I would correct him in saying Brett "wouldn't" recruit Texas and Chad "will".
  • #74 by Hog_Swanson on 29 May 2018
  • The roster isn't loaded.  It has holes in it and a lack of depth.  It isn't void of talent though thanks to good retention and decent recruiting.  Also continuously ignored or overlooked here were the injuries suffered last season which greatly affected the team.  Some of those players are back. 

As far as the draft picks left behind by Petrino whom Bielema coached:

2014 Draft: 
    3rd Round Center
    5th Round DE
    7th Round FB
    7th Round Kicker
    Crappy

2015:
    4th Round DE - Flowers
    6th Round CB
    6th Round DT
    Derby and Spaight were not Petrino recruits.  Petrino wouldn't offer Spaight.
    Notice zero offensive skill players left behind by a supposed offensive genius. 

2016:
    5th Round RB - Williams - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him
    6th Round QB
    Henry, Tretola, Collins not signed by Petrino.

2017:
    4th Round DE - Wise - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him
    5th Round TE - Sprinkle - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him

Highest pick Bielema inherited from Petrino was Swanson 76th.  Flowers was the 101st pick.
    You're missing a TE in this class.
  • #75 by Atlhogfan1 on 30 May 2018
  • You're missing a TE in this class.

No.  "Henry, Tretola, Collins not signed by Petrino."

2016   5   17   156   Jonathan Williams   RB   Buffalo Bills
    2016   5   32   171   Alex Collins   RB   Seattle Seahawks
    2016   6   18   193   Sebastian Tretola   G   Tennessee Titans
    2016   6   26   201   Brandon Allen   QB   Jacksonville Jaguars
    2016   2   4   35   Hunter Henry   TE   San Diego Charger
  • #76 by BearsBisonsBoars on 30 May 2018

• My guess? Some position coach somewhere. I never thought head coaches participated in this.

I agree. The only recent head coaches in the SEC who I could see participating in these things are Bret and Butch Jones.

Bret because he likes to talk, and Butch because he frankly strikes me as kinda low-rent.
  • #77 by BearsBisonsBoars on 30 May 2018
  • Yes, very much agree with you. Saying Bielema didn't lose the team is way off. The 2017 collapse was all on Bielema, and it started with his oblivious leadership in 2016.

I have no evidence besides intuition and reading body language, but I have to wonder if Austin lost the offense, too. They just never seemed to click with him the way they did with Brandon.

I may be talking out my you-know-what, but that was my impression from reading how the guys carried themselves.
  • #78 by Oklahawg on 30 May 2018
  • Exactly. When Long hired Bret Bielema, he tried to put a square peg in a round hole and doomed the program to failure. A good AD would never hire an HC that runs an offense the exact opposite of the one the players already on campus were recruited to run. To do that is the equivalent of shelving an entire football program and starting over from the ground up. That wasn't necessary at Arkansas.

Too much stock is placed in systems. System similarity matters for about a year and a half, maybe two seasons. After that, the coach has his own players in the pipeline, or has retooled the inherited roster. It doesn't matter at that point.

It still remains: Bielema was (at first blush, at least) a HR hire with street cred with national media and a hefty resume. We were unwilling to find, or acknowledge, the weaknesses. Every coach has them, of course, and it is silly to belabor that too long (imo).

If Morris is two years away from seeing his QB of choice behind center (under center doesn't apply now, does it?), then we are in for a long ride. Success for two years depends on Kelley (I suppose Storey is a possibility?) somehow being able to move the offense. Kelley brings something to the table Storey doesn't - as a runner or run/pass option - and a sharp OC will use that to some advantage. Tough, though, because I don't think we are recruiting to Kelley as the model (and will thus not have backups running that same system, necessarily).

The OL will be a work-in-progress for two years, at least. The first Morris signing class at OL is quite underwhelming to me. It could be "yikes" or it could be merely functional. Outside of Froholdt, I don't see a "plus "OL around for what I think our offense will want to be in Year 3.

The RB room is full of talent. Is it talent that works in this system? Is anyone besides Hammonds quick enough to be "the guy?" Is Whaley completely miscast in this offense? What a waste of talent, potentially, with several good RBs lurking.

TE is another room with quite a bit of useful pieces that are not well-aligned for this system. I am a huge O'Grady + Cantrell fan. Both could have been upper tier TE with Enos. I don't know that this is possible now.

WR is a mystery. Supposedly, we had a lot of good, young WR who were simply waiting for a shot. Now, there is a shot at a lot of reps and we are seeing a HS kid (signee, early-graduate, but should have been going to prom vs going through spring drills) and a walk-on generate a big chunk of the PR during the spring.

Yeah, that doesn't make me feel like six wins is doable. The defense questions make me think that we will have to outscore a couple of teams to go bowling. What I just typed doesn't jive with that.

But, by logic, if we shouldn't hire outside of the system we should have been hiring Dan Mullen? Todd Graham?
  • #79 by Oklahawg on 30 May 2018
  • I have no evidence besides intuition and reading body language, but I have to wonder if Austin lost the offense, too. They just never seemed to click with him the way they did with Brandon.

I may be talking out my you-know-what, but that was my impression from reading how the guys carried themselves.

You are spot on. There was a locker room problem where the team was divided (2016) beyond what the coach realized until it was too late. CBB's insistence on certain practice and meeting room protocol being met before seeing the field also contributed - some players could perform on the field but didn't necessarily have the entire playbook memorized, and thus played little (or not at all) when they were clearly (to players) the superior option.

This from sources within the locker room. (Don't ask for me to reveal more - it is in the details of HV, though, to an extent, so a search might be revealing).
  • #80 by Inhogswetrust on 31 May 2018

• Good posts Guv.........I have knows for many, many years that some sort of the spread is best at AR.......when Long fired Petrino he set this program back many years as we have seen......when we hired a coach that said he was going to run the ball down Al throat.....well we got what we got.

You have known for years what is best for Arkansas? Why didnít you call the coaches and enlighten them with your expertise.
  • #81 by Inhogswetrust on 31 May 2018
  • Not really concerned what opposing coaches are saying about us, & our first year coach that hasn't coached a game yet.  This time next year, after 1 season under Morris & new styles... opinions could be more credible. 

Would that have held true after Bobbyís first year? The first year is not always a harbinger of things to come long term. One season especially the first does not make coaching opinions credible. It takes more data than that.
  • #82 by Inhogswetrust on 31 May 2018
  • Exactly. When Long hired Bret Bielema, he tried to put a square peg in a round hole and doomed the program to failure. A good AD would never hire an HC that runs an offense the exact opposite of the one the players already on campus were recruited to run. To do that is the equivalent of shelving an entire football program and starting over from the ground up. That wasn't necessary at Arkansas.

You simply canít help yourself. This post makes less sense than your standard average post. Coaches are hired all the time and change things up. Sometimes a complete overhaul. Also if the players prefer to run this type offense or a spread then why did they sign with Arkansas and Brett knowing that wasnít what he wanted to do?
  • #83 by LZH on 31 May 2018
  • I don't expect to set the world on fire, but making steady improvement as the season progresses will make me feel a lot better.
  • #84 by Melancholy_Pigg on 31 May 2018
  • I forget what BB's record was against ranked teams at Wiscy.   It has been posted before.   Just can't think of it.   It wasn't that impressive.   His paper record didn't tell the whole story.   He shouldn't have been as bad as he turned out though.
  • #85 by Inhogswetrust on 31 May 2018
  • I don't expect to set the world on fire, but making steady improvement as the season progresses will make me feel a lot better.

And sometimes improvement doesnít always show up in the win column. The opponents and what they have and do is an uncontrollable variable.
  • #86 by LZH on 31 May 2018
  • And sometimes improvement doesnít always show up in the win column. The opponents and what they have and do is an uncontrollable variable.

I agree. I can't really expect to win our last three games (maybe Missouri), but I don't expect to get blown out, either.
  • #87 by bphi11ips on 31 May 2018
  • Too much stock is placed in systems.

I've been waiting for someone to say this.

Great coaches aren't married to "systems".  "System" is a current buzzword, like "elite" and "metrics".  Offensive "systems" constantly evolve, and defenses evolve to stop successful innovations.  Coaches who "do more with less" are often those driving evolution.  But that doesn't mean those coaches are "systems" coaches. 

Great coaches have these things in common - they stress the "process", they aren't locked into a "system", and they get the most out of the players on the roster in any given year. That doesn't mean they don't have a philosophy.  Chad Morris's philosophy appears to be based on speed and aggressiveness.  On offense that starts for him with "hammerdown".  Snapping the ball at a face pace is not a "system". 

Bum Phillips said this about Bear Bryant:

"Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n."

Chad Morris has said high school coaches must take the players they have and build the team around them.  He was highly successful doing that for many years in a highly competitive environment.  Why does anyone think he will sacrifice giving his team the best chance to win in 2018 by getting locked into a "system"?  What is his "system"?  Is it the spread?  That's not a "system". 

The offense will be different in 2018 than it was in 2017.  Joe Craddock's playbook is not Dan Enos's playbook.  But Arkansas has highly skilled players who fit within Craddock's playbook.  He'll tailor play selection to fit the players on the roster and the defenses he faces.  That's what coaches do.  Chad Morris wants to win in 2018, and so do his players.  He and they think they can, no matter what anyone on Hogville thinks.

Did Chad Morris inherit a squad with less speed overall than he would like?  Maybe.  Are numbers short on the o-line?  Yes, but the guys in the two-deep are experienced and talented.  They will no longer be facing eight man fronts playing mano-a-mano.  No one knows how much of the last two years of dysfunction on the o-line was due to coaching and how much was due to personnel, but unless the recruiting gurus were WAY off the mark, personnel was not the problem.

"System" or not, football is all about blocking, tackling, executing on special teams, and making fewer mistakes than your opponent.  It's about making the right reads and being in the right position at the right time.  It's also about sheer athleticism and talent.  That's why Arkansas is not likely to beat Alabama or Auburn in 2018.  It's why they are likely to beat the four OOC teams and Vanderbilt.  The other five games are going to depend on blocking, tackling, special teams, and mistakes, because Arkansas has the talent to win any of them.        
  • #88 by Biggus Piggus on 31 May 2018

• Bielema (my opinion) just underestimated the enormity of the task of being successful in the SEC with his particular brand of football. His brand of power football would have required that he recruit at a significantly higher level that Arkansas has not been able to accomplish since joining the SEC. Why he thought he could just bring the Big Ten template for success to SEC, utilizing talent on the same level with what he had at Wisconsin, is beyond me. I know he believed strongly in player development and some kids did grow into really good players, but not enough, often enough. He found out what it is like to be in the SEC West meat grinder week-in and week-out. This isn't the Big Ten West. This was a very humbling learning experience for Bielema.

If Bielema had solved the Oline recruiting problem + had not trained the speed out of everybody, he would have been fine. Arkansas was Bielema's first attempt at building a coaching staff from scratch. That effort was an almost total failure. The people who were supposed to be loyal anchors of his regime fled after one season. The mercenaries proved to be mercenaries. That's why Bielema failed to transplant Badger ball to Fayetteville. His program failed to build a good player-development pipeline. And clearly, with his perpetually gimped staff, Bielema was unable to recruit at Arkansas even as well as he did at Wisconsin.
  • #89 by HoginMemphis on 31 May 2018
  • But I thought Ark's recruiting was good as ever under Bielema? It was, according to recruiting class rankings. Haha.

Bret spent more time eating and thinking about eating than he did recruiting and thinking about recruiting. As I've said many times here, the current roster is short on SEC quality players. We would have lost to Ark State last year with the players and coaches we had.

Morris will have us back to at least Nutt level within 3 seasons. That is, .500 in SEC play. Far better than 11 wins in 5 years under BB. And may be slightly better as Morris has more experience at Power 5 programs than did Nutt when he took over at Arkansas.
  • #90 by Cinco de Hogo on 31 May 2018
  • ďSchemeĒ

We may argue about systems but all coaches scheme.  At any school your scheme better be what works best with the players you have or in the case of a new coach, a forward looking mixture of what can be done now and where you think you can go with future recruits.  This is very dicey!

I have always held that Arkansas needs speed and more speed AND an offense that capitalized on speed.  Arkansas has had great players that were certainly as good or better than what was across the line from them but we seldom have had a complete team that were so. 

Speed and scheme are a matching pair of Colt 45ís in the hands of a professional.  Thatís what we are hoping Chad Morris is, a deadly gunslinger who makes sure the enemy has the sun in his eyes, or in other words has the capacity find an edge.
  • #91 by Oklahawg on 02 Jun 2018
  • Bielema "out-recruited" Nutt and Petrino. Give me three years to assess Morris.

By "out-recruited" he beat more big dogs and P5 schools for recruits than did Nutt and Petrino combined. Those who actually spend time with these things will admit that the line is thin between recruit #100 and recruit #500 nationally. What creates a "top 100" recruit is a boatload of offers from the perennial giants.

CBB seems to be a coach that others looked to for insight into a recruit. That means others in the offices were noticing who UA chased. Bielema's reputation often resulted in others offering as well.

All of this is a preface to this: I think recruiting pundits assumed that CBB was a better recruiter than Nutt or Petrino and tended to prop up the recruits we pursed. In other words, we looked good because CBB had a good reputation. Circle argument, of course.

When you dissect how the recruiting rankings work this isn't all that far-fetched.

Morris may get some props for his work at Clemson but I doubt it. UA commits are not going to get bumped very often (unless from 2- to 3-stars).

All IMO
  • #92 by Cinco de Hogo on 03 Jun 2018
  • I maintain that the common Bielema recruit got a bump based on acedemic achievements.  The thought process would be that a smarter player would be a better player if athelitic abilities were similar.  I can see this but in the end I donít think it works as well as one would hope AT Arkansas because we are neither an elite football school nor a elite academic school.

In other words we donít attract the top players with both attributes.
  • #93 by bphi11ips on 03 Jun 2018
  • I maintain that the common Bielema recruit got a bump based on acedemic achievements.  The thought process would be that a smarter player would be a better player if athelitic abilities were similar.  I can see this but in the end I donít think it works as well as one would hope AT Arkansas because we are neither an elite football school nor a elite academic school.

In other words we donít attract the top players with both attributes.

Did you get up this morning looking for a reason to slam the university and the football team? 

Recruiting services don't consider "academic achievements" when ranking players.  They look primarily at body types for positions, "measurables" recorded at "elite" camps, and a number of other factors having nothing to do with whether a high school aged kid can block, tackle, catch, etc.  None of those other factors have anything to do with academics.

The current roster is full of athletes who chose Arkansas over "elite" programs.  It is the puzzling collapse of late 2016 and 2017 that leads the national media and so many here to conclude Arkansas is somehow now bereft of talent.  It's not.  Chad Morris knows it.  That's why he said Arkansas is going to surprise some people.  That doesn't mean they are going to win the West this year.  It means we are going to be better than most think.

"Elite" is a relative term.  In college football, every team in the SEC West is "elite".  Academically in the world of colleges in the United States, Arkansas is "elite".  It doesn't claim to be Stanford, but it is a very good school that looks good on a resume, especially where certain degrees are concerned.  The average incoming freshman scored 26.3 on the ACT.  Every senior football player on the roster last year graduated in 3.5 years.  That's all you really need to know.
  • #94 by Qadi999 on 03 Jun 2018
  • If anyone was wondering if talent was the problem under Coach BB you need to look no further then the Coastal Carolina game last year to find your answer. Arkansas Recruiting ranking in BB's last 4-year avg around 25, while CC recruiting was between 120 and 160. That being said the hogs came within a heartbeat of losing that game at home, the talent was not the reason for BB's record.
  • #95 by HoginMemphis on 03 Jun 2018
  • If anyone was wondering if talent was the problem under Coach BB you need to look no further then the Coastal Carolina game last year to find your answer. Arkansas Recruiting ranking in BB's last 4-year avg around 25, while CC recruiting was between 120 and 160. That being said the hogs came within a heartbeat of losing that game at home, the talent was not the reason for BB's record.
    There were two times that I would have fired Bielema before he was fired and I said so here at the time. First time was in 2016, the Auburn game. I would have fired him that evening. 2nd time was the CC game last year. Both games were a slap to the face of the AD and BOT that Bielema was incompetent and did not have command of the team. I believe it was obvious the players had no confidence in the leadership and coaching of Bielema. Per usual, the University waited too long to fire a head coach who needed to be fired. Much of that was due to AD Long. He was fired too!
  • #96 by Cinco de Hogo on 03 Jun 2018
  • Did you get up this morning looking for a reason to slam the university and the football team? 

Recruiting services don't consider "academic achievements" when ranking players.  They look primarily at body types for positions, "measurables" recorded at "elite" camps, and a number of other factors having nothing to do with whether a high school aged kid can block, tackle, catch, etc.  None of those other factors have anything to do with academics.

The current roster is full of athletes who chose Arkansas over "elite" programs.  It is the puzzling collapse of late 2016 and 2017 that leads the national media and so many here to conclude Arkansas is somehow now bereft of talent.  It's not.  Chad Morris knows it.  That's why he said Arkansas is going to surprise some people.  That doesn't mean they are going to win the West this year.  It means we are going to be better than most think.

"Elite" is a relative term.  In college football, every team in the SEC West is "elite".  Academically in the world of colleges in the United States, Arkansas is "elite".  It doesn't claim to be Stanford, but it is a very good school that looks good on a resume, especially where certain degrees are concerned.  The average incoming freshman scored 26.3 on the ACT.  Every senior football player on the roster last year graduated in 3.5 years.  That's all you really need to know.

Not really, I still need to know why we went 4-8 since evidently you think we outrecruited Bama AND Stanford.   I wasnít bashing our players or the U, itís simply the truth.   You can post thousands of times explaining in each post something a little different but in the end you believe we will win what 6-7 games.  I could accuse you of bashing players because you donít believe we will win 8,9,10.  Itís all relative to the results you get...or you can blame it all on the former coach, except for recruiting of course.

• #97 by Peter Porker on 04 Jun 2018
  • I remember when Mustain was being highly recruited I went and watched him play in the championship game their senior year at WMS.  Then I seen why he had so many yards passing.  Damian Williams was a beast. Just a quick out route or a slant and he would take it to the house.  After watching that game I wasnít as impressed with as much with Mustain as I was with the coaching job Gus had done by using his players wisely.

Love him or hate him Gus is a great coach.  He brought the wildcat/wildhog to the forefront because he seen we was freaking loaded in backfield and he knew the best way to use our weapons.  Thatís what good coaches do. Iím not a coach or ever been a coach but I am smart enough to know that even if a coach has his own style he likes to run, if itís not working by the books with the jimmy and joes, you conform your style/playbook to conform with what you got. 

I donít know if Gus ever ran the wildcat much while he was at Springdale (canít remember and too lazy to google) but I always thought he was good at using his offensive weapons to their best abilities on the field.

And honestly I donít know much about coach Morris.  But if the players and fan base hate that a coach leaves for another job and respect his decision and donít bash him for leaving,  then he must not only be a helluva of a coach but a helluva good leader.  And people forget that these are kids that 90% or more ainít going to make a living playing football.  They need a good role model and that why players and coaches speak so highly of him.

Anyway.. thatís my 2 cents

great coach? Really? He had 5 of the 7 best players in the state that year. Of course it was easy to use your players wisely. LOL.
  • #98 by Jim Harris on 04 Jun 2018
  • I picked up the Athlon SEC preview magazine today and here is what an opposing coach says about our program:

I guess Gus Malzahn was the coach they spoke with.
  • #99 by Jim Harris on 04 Jun 2018
  • Agree with him about our QB situation. Think we are in trouble there. Think he is 1000% FOS that Bielema didn't lose the team last season. A 4 year old could see Bielema lost the team last season.

Wrong. That team fought their butts off to try to win those last two games. Had he lost the team, those games wouldn't have been even close to winnable in the last minutes/seconds. They just couldn't finish those games out.
    Did they not show up and barely pull out the Coastal Carolina game? Yes. That still shows they didn't quit, they pulled it out. They also fought like hell for a half with way better talented teams in Auburn and LSU, and turned the Ole Miss game around. If you think they quit and that's why they went 4-8, you're foolish.
  • #100 by Jim Harris on 04 Jun 2018
  • We don't know how successful we'll be in 2018, but one thing we have in common with 1998ÖI doubt we all have super-high expectations. You could say the same for the 1977 team, when Holtz came in following a 5-5-1 season. Those 2 head coaches, like our current new coach, certainly had charisma. And yeah, we'll see if Morris' style can put us over the top in a game we shouldn't winÖand overall, what he makes of the hand he was dealt, talent-wise.

As for the players, when the 1977 and 1998 seasons started, I don't think we had any idea how many all-conference, all-American, all-decade players that would surface. Those teams had 2 of the best secondaries ever at Arkansas. Several guys on those teams had nice NFL careers and one ended up a Hall-of-Famer. What's on our roster nowÖprobably not talent on that level, but I believe much more than we've seen so far.

Holtz assumed a program with a bucketload of great speed and good football players recruited by Jimmy Johnson and Leroy Montgomery, among Frank's staff and his best recruiters. Arkansas is a long, long ways from that.
Pages:
Actions