• 395,371 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Opposing Coach View on Arkansas  (Read 8768 times)

Tigaman

Opposing Coach View on Arkansas
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:15:01 pm »

I picked up the Athlon SEC preview magazine today and here is what an opposing coach says about our program:

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: Opposing Coach View on Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:20:01 pm »

The last sentence says it all.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 03:23:46 pm »

At least it is more positive than the 2013 opposing coach outlook was. 

rhames

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 03:25:59 pm »

These are always a hoot

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 04:40:09 pm »

My guess- Mark Stoops.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:44:57 pm »

That's a fair assessment I believe. I believe Morris will be able to do what Bret couldn't and wouldn't do.

rhames

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48:41 pm »

My guess- Mark Stoops.

My guess? Some position coach somewhere. I never thought head coaches participated in this.

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:03 pm »

Is a run-first play-action offense really that different from an RPO-based offense that looks to run first?  I am by no means an X and O guy, and a coach should know better than I, but I'm serious.  I would have thought the harder part would be the hurry-up, no-huddle, which, technically could be run with any offense, but would run better when the O can run different packages with the same line-up.  The conditioning would be different, especially for the OL, and the decision making, especially for the QB.  But those differences aren't quite the same thing as run-first play action vs RPO emphasizing the run.

Tell me what I'm missing. I'm sure it's a lot.

EFBAB

King Kong

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:48 pm »

My guess- Mark Stoops.

I think itís several different coaches in those statements
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:13:20 pm by King Kong »

Cinco de Hogo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:41 pm »

Is a run-first play-action offense really that different from an RPO-based offense that looks to run first?  I am by no means an X and O guy, and a coach should know better than I, but I'm serious.  I would have thought the harder part would be the hurry-up, no-huddle, which, technically could be run with any offense, but would run better when the O can run different packages with the same line-up.  The conditioning would be different, especially for the OL, and the decision making, especially for the QB.  But those differences aren't quite the same thing as run-first play action vs RPO emphasizing the run.

EFBAB

The right coach for the system that works best at Arkansas.  Thatís really all itís is, we may never be an elite football school but you can expect good solid football at Arkansas. 

Get the right coach and he will figure out the X and Oís and the Jimmy and Joeís. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »

I feel real good about this hire cause the SMU folks were sad to see him go,  their opponents were glad to see him go. So we got a good hire!

Hogindasticks

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 08:29:34 pm »

He forgot one thing.....Chad Morris and staff will kick our butt because he can recruit!

Al Boarland

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 08:43:02 pm »

EFBAB

Blocking schemes will be different. Terminology and other aspects of the O will take time. Players will have to adjust to the prairie dogging everyone hated before the CCM hire.

Tejano Jawg

• GO HOGS! BEAT HORNS!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 09:23:15 pm »

I agree with about every sentence, except for the first oneó"I feel badly for Chad." No, they don't really. Everyone likes us just like we are, they don't want us to be good. They don't want to think about us. They don't want one more problem to deal with.

That's the first thing I'm hoping for initially. Get just good enough to make teams say a little "oh $#%&" as our game approaches.

greenie

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 09:55:34 pm »

My guess? Some position coach somewhere. I never thought head coaches participated in this.

Exactly. Head coaches donít typically mouth off like this because they know it would get out.  Of course, itís possible, but far more likely to be some LB coach or the like.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 05:56:00 am »

EFBAB

This offense, with the RPO's, has more moving pieces that require quicker decision making, than the offense we ran under Bielema. That's good news for our offense if they can master the execution of the scheme as designed and bad news for opposing defenses who attempt to defend that scheme.

This modern day RPO is a more pass-oriented type of offense than one of its predecessors, the Wishbone. The Wishbone seemed deadly at the time but the key to defending that offense was playing assignment football on defense. If you wanted to pressure the Wishbone you had one man taking the FB, another the QB and another taking the pitch man and the key was crashing inside to get to that FB and QB more quickly, forcing a give, keep, pass or pitch more quickly. Make the offense commit early instead of the offense putting the defense on their heels and having to react to what the offense did. Defensive pressure was the key to defeating these multiple options and defenses were still going to give up big plays at times.

The idea of the hurry-up offense in the old Wishbone was huddling closer to the LOS (4-5 yds as opposed to 7-8) and breaking the huddle and quickly getting to the LOS and getting set and usually snapping on the first sound from the QB. Now with the prairie-dog thing and no huddle, they now force the defensive unit to stay on the field to defend against multiple sets and plays with the same personnel on the field. Definitely an advantage to the offense but that is the same reason that many of the better defenses have converted to smaller, quicker defensive units that possess greater speed as a unit.

Yes, better conditioning will be involved for everyone but one of the great things that this offense, with all of its pre-snap and post-snap movement, will provide this O-Line with better blocking angles. Their biggest challenge will be keeping the defense from forcing the timing of the RPO with penetration. But the defense is gambling to a greater degree playing against the RPO than they were vs. a traditional pro style of offense. Should they miss an assignment and the offense is able to execute, a big play could result.

Those are the differences that I see, in my opinion. I'm sure others can point out more differences but that is just what I see and how it can work for us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:11:26 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 06:04:35 am »

I picked up the Athlon SEC preview magazine today and here is what an opposing coach says about our program:

That roster last year wasn't built to do anything.
I'm not sure where this opposing coach is coming from.

That team last year would be hard pressed to beat some high school teams and darn near lost to one of them in fayetteville.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 06:27:36 am »

That team last year would be hard pressed to beat some high school teams and darn near lost to one of them in fayetteville.

That had a lot more to do with inept coaching than it did with the way the roster was built.

jkstock04

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 06:41:57 am »

Agree with him about our QB situation. Think we are in trouble there. Think he is 1000% FOS that Bielema didn't lose the team last season. A 4 year old could see Bielema lost the team last season.

King Kong

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 06:46:45 am »

Agree with him about our QB situation. Think we are in trouble there. Think he is 1000% FOS that Bielema didn't lose the team last season. A 4 year old could see Bielema lost the team last season.

Considering how bad the first 2 1/2 years were. Iím surprised he didnít lose the team sooner.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 07:09:40 am »

EFBAB

Agree. I donít think itís the Xís and Oís that matter. I think it is the style of play in speed and fast pace that will be the telling factor at first. This team was not built for that and is not used to that yet. The conversion to that might take a while. The defense is another matter all togeather.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 07:27:31 am »

There are a lot of people on here that are seriously underestimating Cole Kelley. He was a HUNH Spread QB in High School so he knows the offense.

rhames

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 07:28:37 am »

There are a lot of people on here that are seriously underestimating Cole Kelley. He was a HUNH Spread QB in High School so he knows the offense.

You do know that not all spread offenses are the same, right? 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 07:36:03 am »

And he is only one player on a team with 84 other guys on scholarship.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 07:44:05 am »

Yep, but all HUNH Spread offenses are very similar. The one Kelley ran in High School is the one Gus ran at Springdale with Mustain and Gus is Chad Morris's mentor.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 07:45:01 am »

The roster is loaded with talent and I think we will see that in the months/years to come.  (IIRC people said that Petrino left the cupboard bare--and there's more than a handful that made it to the NFL). 

The statement in the article saying that coaching changes happen because the previous guy failed was spot on.

rhames

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 07:47:32 am »

Yep, but all HUNH Spread offenses are very similar. The one Kelley ran in High School is the one Gus ran at Springdale with Mustain and Gus is Chad Morris's mentor.

Really? Tell me how they are a like? What is the percentages of rpo's used on 1st, 2nd, 3rd downs? What are the percentages of outside plays to inside? What's the run/pass breakdown? What are the checkdowns?

Where is the information that says Cole Kelly ran the same offense that Gus made famous?

I'm pretty sure you're talking out of your butt lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:01:32 am by rhames »

rhames

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 07:48:38 am »

The roster is loaded with talent and I think we will see that in the months/years to come.  (IIRC people said that Petrino left the cupboard bare--and there's more than a handful that made it to the NFL). 

The statement in the article saying that coaching changes happen because the previous guy failed was spot on.

Loaded with talent? Really?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 07:56:43 am »

Really? Tell me how they are a like? What is the percentages of rpo's used on 1st, 2nd, 3rd downs? What are the percentages of outside plays to inside? Whars the run/pass breakdown? What are the checkdowns?

Where is the information that says Cole Kelly ran the same offense that Gus made famous?

I'm pretty sure you're talking out of your butt lol

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Gus didn't use a dual Threat QB at Springdale. Mustain was a pure shotgun passing QB just like Kelley is. Granted, Kelley isn't as mobile as Mustain was but his style of play is similar to Mustain's but with a better arm.

rhames

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 07:59:07 am »

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Gus didn't use a dual Threat QB at Springdale. Mustain was a pure shotgun passing QB just like Kelley is. Granted, Kelley isn't as mobile as Mustain was but his style of play is similar to Mustain's but with a better arm.

Did you even read what I posted? 

FutureMan

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 08:01:36 am »

Pretty well-stated for the most part, not much that I can argue with.  Exception being that he said "Bret didn't lose the team."  Not sure I agree with that.  From my personal perspective, it seemed the team lost a lot of motivation and heart.  I think the players all really liked Bret, but I do believe he lost the ability to fully motivate them to play their best.  I think bringing in Coach Morris will be very helpful in reigniting that passion in our players.

Hogz87

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:21 am »

Is it not quotes from several different coaches?  It's "coaches" not "coach's" in the headline.  Although that could just be because they have that section in the team preview for all 14 SEC teams.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 08:09:42 am »

Blocking schemes will be different. Terminology and other aspects of the O will take time. Players will have to adjust to the prairie dogging everyone hated before the CCM hire.

Still hate it. 

hogginbama

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 08:40:45 am »

Now, now....you know they gotta say the "cupboard is bare" so if the new guy stumbles the first year or two the excuse has been built in. Same as when Petrino left, same as when Ford left. If the cupboard was truly bare and the team was void of talent, they wouldn't have been so pissed about BB's coaching job. They would be pissed at the lack of recruiting.

GoHogzzGo

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 08:41:48 am »

Great read thanks for posting.

So much we wonít know until live bullets are flying. Canít wait to see how CCM does.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:09 am »

Did you even read what I posted? 

Yes, I read it.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 08:56:57 am »

The steamboat package was very effective last year.  Kelley will not break off the big play with his feet.  20 yards is probably the ceiling, but he can consisently get 5 yards.  He is a powerful man.  2nd and 5, or 3rd and short are good places to be. 

Kelley has a chance to be very effective as a runner, and it can open up the pass options the same as a break away threat.  We should not underestimate his effectiveness as a runner.     

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:48 am »

The roster isn't loaded.  It has holes in it and a lack of depth.  It isn't void of talent though thanks to good retention and decent recruiting.  Also continuously ignored or overlooked here were the injuries suffered last season which greatly affected the team.  Some of those players are back. 

As far as the draft picks left behind by Petrino whom Bielema coached:

2014 Draft: 
3rd Round Center
5th Round DE
7th Round FB
7th Round Kicker
Crappy

2015:
4th Round DE - Flowers
6th Round CB
6th Round DT
Derby and Spaight were not Petrino recruits.  Petrino wouldn't offer Spaight.
Notice zero offensive skill players left behind by a supposed offensive genius. 

2016:
5th Round RB - Williams - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him
6th Round QB
Henry, Tretola, Collins not signed by Petrino.

2017:
4th Round DE - Wise - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him
5th Round TE - Sprinkle - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him

Highest pick Bielema inherited from Petrino was Swanson 76th.  Flowers was the 101st pick. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:54 am »

The steamboat package was very effective last year.  Kelley will not break off the big play with his feet.  20 yards is probably the ceiling, but he can consisently get 5 yards.  He is a powerful man.  2nd and 5, or 3rd and short are good places to be. 

Kelley has a chance to be very effective as a runner, and it can open up the pass options the same as a break away threat.  We should not underestimate his effectiveness as a runner.     

Exactly. Kelley's style of play is very similar to the QB that started the last 2 years at SMU under Morris.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 09:07:42 am »

The roster isn't loaded.  It has holes in it and a lack of depth.  It isn't void of talent though thanks to good retention and decent recruiting.  Also continuously ignored or overlooked here were the injuries suffered last season which greatly affected the team.  Some of those players are back. 

As far as the draft picks left behind by Petrino whom Bielema coached:

2014 Draft: 
3rd Round Center
5th Round DE
7th Round FB
7th Round Kicker
Crappy

2015:
4th Round DE - Flowers
6th Round CB
6th Round DT
Derby and Spaight were not Petrino recruits.  Petrino wouldn't offer Spaight.
Notice zero offensive skill players left behind by a supposed offensive genius. 

2016:
5th Round RB - Williams - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him
6th Round QB
Henry, Tretola, Collins not signed by Petrino.

2017:
4th Round DE - Wise - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him
5th Round TE - Sprinkle - signed in Petrino's last class, never played for him

Highest pick Bielema inherited was Swanson 76th.  Flowers was the 101st pick. 

It doesn't matter that some of Petrino's recruits never played for him. They were still HIS recruits. Regardless of where they were drafted, there were indeed more than a hand full of Petrino recruits drafted by NFL teams during Bielema's tenure.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 09:09:50 am »

EFBAB

Blocking less complicated.  Pre snap reads taken away from the players on the field.  QB won't be under center.  QB won't turn their back to the line on play action fakes.  QB will be able to see downfield faster.  We get to take advantage of illegal linemen downfield.   

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:20 am »

It doesn't matter that some of Petrino's recruits never played for him. They were still HIS recruits. Regardless of where they were drafted, there were indeed more than a hand full of Petrino recruits drafted by NFL teams during Bielema's tenure.

11 picks over 4 drafts with 8 of the picks 5th round or lower.  0 WRs.  1 QB if you want to give him some credit for BA.  1 RB if you want to give him some credit for Williams.  Awful especially considering Petrino's reputation as an offensive coach.  Kind of a similar failure to the offensive line situation Bielema left. 

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 09:26:47 am »

I'm not sure whether it's a roster depleted in talent or a roster filled with misused talent. Probably a bit of both.

We're set at running back, and it'll be interesting to see if this staff can get more consistent production out of TJ Hammonds. I agree with the writer(s) of the referenced piece; I'm not sure that our starting quarterback in two years is on campus yet. We have some depth in our receiving corps; time will tell if we have quality there in the numbers CM will need to run his offense. We need more depth on the offensive line.

I feel better defensively with John Chavis, and I have a lot of confidence in Coach Caldwell. We do have some talent on that side of the ball, in all position groups.

It is too early to tell if this is a 1998 situation, when HDN was able to motivate the crap out of what Danny Ford left him. I think we'll get some bump from CM's style and enthusiasm, but I'm not confident we'll see more of a bump than 6-6 in his first year.   

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:46 am »

QB - I think CK can be effective.  But the offense won't have a potential to reach its max effectiveness until there is a true running threat at qb.  I see CK being a bigger and slightly slower version of Fitzgerald at MSU at best in terms of running in this type of offense.  Positive is he should be durable.

RB - Will be great to get Hayden back. 
TJ was so raw last season.  Looked great when he was the superior athlete on the field to the defense.  Missed running lanes and tried to rely on his speed too much vs SEC defenses.  Wasn't going to work.  Hopefully this offense helps him.

OL should be helped by the scheme. 

I have almost 0 trust in our WRs outside of Cornelius.  The Spring game did very little to gain it.  They have to learn to go get the football especially in this offense.  Something I admired about the Freeze offenses at Ole Miss, offenses I otherwise despised, was their wr's would go get the football and challenge DBs.

Defensively, our top 15 or so players are pretty good by Arkansas defensive standards.  We stay healthy and this should be one of our cycle up seasons defensively where it isn't a complete liability.  Looking forward to seeing Ramsey get turned loose after qb's.

Kicking game is a concern.  Hopefully we will use some of these athletes we have to get an effective return game again. 

I would like to hope it could be like 98.  But the SEC is so much better in comparison to that season. 

Warrior Way 22

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:00 am »

More than likely the vast majority of these guys ran some form of spread in high school (I know the QB's did.) I know we all look at the Spring Game and immediately think that we are a long way away...but that was with just a handful of practices and the coaches being conservative with playcalls. What I'm getting at is that I don't think the learning curve (outside of terminology) is going to be that big of an issue. This team has some talent in the first team and a few places in the 2 deep as well...just gotta hope to stay healthy and we are going to see some improvements.

clutch

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:59 am »

Still hate it. 

It may be somewhat annoying, but it's a huge advantage to be able to pick what play you run AFTER you see how the defense lines up.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2018, 09:55:19 am »

I'm not sure whether it's a roster depleted in talent or a roster filled with misused talent. Probably a bit of both.

We're set at running back, and it'll be interesting to see if this staff can get more consistent production out of TJ Hammonds. I agree with the writer(s) of the referenced piece; I'm not sure that our starting quarterback in two years is on campus yet. We have some depth in our receiving corps; time will tell if we have quality there in the numbers CM will need to run his offense. We need more depth on the offensive line.

I feel better defensively with John Chavis, and I have a lot of confidence in Coach Caldwell. We do have some talent on that side of the ball, in all position groups.

It is too early to tell if this is a 1998 situation, when HDN was able to motivate the crap out of what Danny Ford left him. I think we'll get some bump from CM's style and enthusiasm, but I'm not confident we'll see more of a bump than 6-6 in his first year.
That is a very solid, spot on assessment. I agree! I think our defense, in fundamentals, will be far better than we have seen the last few years. We just have to get some great talent there. I hope Morris and chavis can do that.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 09:55:55 am »

It may be somewhat annoying, but it's a huge advantage to be able to pick what play you run AFTER you see how the defense lines up.

I'm a little conflicted.  I hate the pre snap part of this offense.  A part of the game IMO is the players on the field especially the qb knowing how to read a defense and making calls.  Now its retarded down to something which shouldn't happen IMO past Jr High football.  But I have for years wanted Arkansas to bring more RPO to the offense.  And I hated seeing our qb's go under center and then turn their back to the line of scrimmage on half ass fakes in obvious passing situations. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 09:58:18 am »

11 picks over 4 drafts with 8 of the picks 5th round or lower.  0 WRs.  1 QB if you want to give him some credit for BA.  1 RB if you want to give him some credit for Williams.  Awful especially considering Petrino's reputation as an offensive coach.  Kind of a similar failure to the offensive line situation Bielema left. 

They were still drafted and they were Petrino's recruits.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:32 am »

That had a lot more to do with inept coaching than it did with the way the roster was built.

Last time I checked the coaches and primarily the head coach is responsible for building the roster to do what they want to do. Itís amazing that they lost their identity as some have pointed out.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:35:29 am by Inhogswetrust »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas