• 395,529 Topics
• 22,308 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Poll

Will Chad Morris be our head coach in 5 years?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Coach Morris  (Read 8211 times)

LRrazorback

Re: Coach Morris
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2018, 11:13:56 pm »

No, He recruited Tyler. Tyler had already committed to Tulsa before Petrino was hired and Petrino flipped him to Arkansas. He and Mallett both Redshirted in 2008.

Petrino inherited Casey Dick who had started at QB for the 2007 season, Nutt's last year.

Since you mentioned flipping Tyler Wilson, the narrative is to say CBP had lots of instate players but, he also had to flip Joe Adams from USC and jarious wright from tx tech and only had 1-2 months to recruit them.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 09:14:29 am »

Since you mentioned flipping Tyler Wilson, the narrative is to say CBP had lots of instate players but, he also had to flip Joe Adams from USC and jarious wright from tx tech and only had 1-2 months to recruit them.

I agree. Good reply.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 02:53:23 pm »

Meh....   Lou Holtz is the only Razorbacks FB coach to never have had a losing season during his tenure in the last 60+ years I believe....

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2018, 04:35:25 pm »

Yeah, P5 HC rarely leave for other P5 jobs. Especially considering only like 12 school pay as much as we do.

Also A&M is the only job I could see him leaving for and they are pot committed to there new guy.
I agree with this, to many people sell Arkansas short. We may not be in a recruiting hot bed, but we have the facilities to compete with anyone. If he can turn Arkansas into a national contender, he will have no problem getting players to come here. And if he turns the program into a national contender, i dont see him leaving to rebuild another program. A&M is the only job he may take, but Jimbo would have to tank the program before they jump ship so that would be 10 years before we have to worry about CCM leaving for "greener pastures". 

King Kong

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 04:51:20 pm »

Well, technically Wright never publicly decommited from Arkansas. So I won’t give CBP that one.

But Tyler Wilson, Dennis Johnson and Joe Adams would not have been Razorbacks without CBP

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2018, 04:56:30 pm »

Well, technically Wright never publicly decommited from Arkansas. So I won’t give CBP that one.

But Tyler Wilson, Dennis Johnson and Joe Adams would not have been Razorbacks without CBP

Yeah, Wright had waivered but didn't decommit form Arkansas. He solidified his Commitment with the Hogs after visiting with Petrino.

tusksincolorado

• her "Party Goblin" is strong!
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2018, 06:23:03 pm »

I am such a "bandwagon fan" on CCM....I really hope that he establishes the excitement and success that CBP accomplished the 3 years that he had in leading our program!

Wouldn't it be awesome to become relevant again in the SEC West!

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2018, 06:58:24 pm »

I remember him flipping Joe Adams, but not the others. Got a link to where they were committed to going before Petrino persuaded them otherwise?

razorback44

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2018, 07:20:36 pm »

I remember him flipping Joe Adams, but not the others. Got a link to where they were committed to going before Petrino persuaded them otherwise?

RD on Tyler Wilson:  http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=75862.0

rhames

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2018, 07:44:04 pm »

Didn't Nutt not offer Wilson and Petrino called him and idiot for not?

tusksincolorado

• her "Party Goblin" is strong!
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2018, 08:08:25 pm »

Didn't Nutt not offer Wilson and Petrino called him and idiot for not?

CBP called Nutt an idiot a lot during the Cotton Bowl!!!

King Kong

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/jan/14/running-back-johnson-orally-commits-hogs/

On DJ

Hogindasticks

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:19 pm »

I think the only question to ask right now is....is your glass half empty or full?  The cool thing about being positive is that it makes you happy!

JIHawg

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 11:17:05 pm »

Petrino lucked out-he had Tim Horton, who kept that class together.  Tim deserves a lot of credit for keeping all those players settled down and, ultimately, stay committed to the Hogs. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2018, 05:08:49 am »

RD on Tyler Wilson:  http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=75862.0

Thanks. I forgot that he was committed to Tulsa before switching to the Hogs.

HF#1

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2018, 11:52:12 am »

His recruiting ability alone will keep him here that long. His winning will keep him here longer.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2018, 11:57:14 am »

I would say let’s see him coach first, but to give a guess like everyone else, I think he’ll be here at least five years unless HE wants to leave. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2018, 12:23:20 pm »

Meh....   Lou Holtz is the only Razorbacks FB coach to never have had a losing season during his tenure in the last 60+ years I believe....

Ken Hatfield's worst season was his first - 7-4-1.

Arkansas had only two losing seasons between 1954 and 1989. Frank Broyles was 4-6 in his first season and 4-5-1 in 1967. 

We've had 10 losing seasons since 1990, about one every three seasons, including three of the last six.  That's why expectations are currently so low.  The only way to change that is to win.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »

I stopped where you said CBP inherited a better QB than Bret did. The fact that you seriously believe that Casey Dick was better than Brandon Allen calls the credibility of your Post into question. Casey Dick was a barely serviceable QB who was merely a stop Gap QB until Mallett became eligible in 2009. Bret inherited far more talent and experience than Petrino did.

Which situation is a better one to be in?

Situation A: Senior qb with extensive starting experience, including starts in the all 3 seasons beforehand. Coming off a season with 57% completion, 1700 yards, 6.5 ypa, and an 18:10 td:int ratio. Behind him on scholarship is a younger brother with even more potential coming off a redshirt season.

Situation B: A RsSo QB coming off a season with one start, 43% completion, 186 yards, and a 1:3 td:int ratio, along with a RsSr backup who primarily hadn't even been playing qb anymore and instead was playing WR. With zero depth behind that.

In the first situation, you have an experienced senior to lead the transition and youth to build around if needed. In the second, you have virtually zero experience with your primary option, and your backup is a guy who has taken more snaps at WR than QB and even then, you only have a single year with at best.

Absolutely, Brandon Allen eventually became a far better qb than Casey Dick. However, given the choice b/w 2008 Casey Dick and 2013 Brandon Allen, 2008 Dick is a far, far, far superior option.

When analyzing the situation somebody inherits, you can't just look at things as they eventually became. Petrino was handed a quality desk made of pine with some oak lumber to build something in the future. Bielema was handed a splintered bundle of scrap cherry wood and a particle board desk.

The cherry wood ended up being sculpted and glued back together into a fine desk, but it's nice to have the option to sit at a already working desk while you build the next one than to have to sit on the floor to build one from scratch.

OkieBack

• Varsity
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2018, 12:01:50 pm »

I agree with you.

Just one thing, How can this year's defense get burned more than our horrible defense last year.  I think big plays may be negated by pressure, mostly a pass rush which didn't exist last year.

It sounds like CCM will hopefully give Chavis the ability to do what he wants.  The big questions is what are the Hogs lacking in talent right now in order to do what Chavis does best?  In other words, can Chavis adjust his system to the talent in place now this first year?  If so, are they going to run a bend-but-don't-break type defense until Chavis gets a couple of recruiting classes in here he is satisfied with? 

Just not sure what we have on board currently that can apply the pressure Chavis likes to bring.  I would guess speed will be needed in future recruiting classes but I don't know.  Help a fella out here, guys.  What does Chavis need to do in order to succeed this first year as DC?

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:28 pm »

AR is a 10 year gig to get the ship turned in the current SEC West. I think coaches know that. So, can't get anyone to AR without signing a contract that won't give them 5 years to try. You just have to hope the AD doesn't change again and the ship is heading the correct direction at the end of 5.

Not only that, if a coach lasts 5 years they need to be able to start recruiting a successor and not run them off.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2018, 01:50:32 pm »

AR is a 10 year gig to get the ship turned in the current SEC West. I think coaches know that. So, can't get anyone to AR without signing a contract that won't give them 5 years to try. You just have to hope the AD doesn't change again and the ship is heading the correct direction at the end of 5.

Not only that, if a coach lasts 5 years they need to be able to start recruiting a successor and not run them off.

I disagree. A roster can be totally flipped in 4 years. If the HC is a good coach then by his fourth season, his team should be drastically improved. There is no reason whatsoever that the roster at Arkansas should have to be flipped twice for the turn around to happen.

jabberjawls

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2018, 01:56:36 pm »

I say yes, because Jerry Jones will see to it.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2018, 03:19:36 pm »

I disagree. A roster can be totally flipped in 4 years. If the HC is a good coach then by his fourth season, his team should be drastically improved. There is no reason whatsoever that the roster at Arkansas should have to be flipped twice for the turn around to happen.
You can flip a roster but the first flip will most likely not get both the type of player that a coach wants/needs and the type that are good enough to win the SEC. So first flip improves the team so that the coach can get the second flip that is needed to win SEC. 7-8 years.

31to6

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 06:12:52 pm »

You can flip a roster but the first flip will most likely not get both the type of player that a coach wants/needs and the type that are good enough to win the SEC. So first flip improves the team so that the coach can get the second flip that is needed to win SEC. 7-8 years.
The first flip tells you if the coach can get it done. If he can't win with a full roster he has recruited, more time is unlikely to help.

But you are correct that the recruiting should continue to improve even after the first flip, because often a coach has to just patch together the first class (between honoring existing commits and having less time to build relationships) and in today's recruiting, if you aren't on a top prospect when they are a junior (or earlier) your odds of landing them go way down. So the "first flip" is still going to have better players coming in in classes 3 and 4 where you are able to upgrade talent instead of just filling roster gap with the best available based on need.

This is the difference between rolling into a program with built-in recruiting advantages vs. one that is disadvantaged. A school like Tennessee  should be able to be turned around almost immediately. Butch recruited *extremely* well out of the gate. He just was not up to the task of winning consistently with that talent.

A place like Arkansas is a program that desperately needs 5-6 years of staff continuity and consistent improvement to make it more attractive to out-of-state elite talent.

LRrazorback

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 07:04:18 pm »

Not necessarily.

HDN went 9-2 his first year coming off two 4-7's.
CBP won 10 in his third year and 11 in his fourth
JFB said a good coach can win big in his second season.

I understand our limits in comparison to these programs but,
Bob stoops won a championship in his second season
Nick saban a championship in his second or third season
Gus malzahn made the championship game in his first season
Will muschamp won 11 in his second season
Mark richt won sec championship in his second season

I expect CCM to do very well by his third season

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2018, 09:36:42 pm »

Anyone else notice that CCM looks very much like CJFB in profile, when CJFB was younger?   Look....   it’s sort of eerie..... in a good sort of way....

Sivad

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:50 pm »

Anyone else notice that CCM looks very much like CJFB in profile, when CJFB was younger?   Look....   it’s sort of eerie..... in a good sort of way....
So...
Looks like Frank;
Acts like Nutt;
Dresses like John L.;
Let’s hope he coaches like Petrino.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2018, 08:05:09 pm »

So...
Looks like Frank;
Acts like Nutt;
Dresses like John L.;

SMILE and lets watch ;)

HogBreath

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2018, 10:24:14 pm »

So...
Looks like Frank;
Acts like Nutt;
Dresses like John L.;
What???  No mention of NolAnderson?

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:18 pm »

Not necessarily.

HDN went 9-2 his first year coming off two 4-7's.
CBP won 10 in his third year and 11 in his fourth
JFB said a good coach can win big in his second season.

I understand our limits in comparison to these programs but,
Bob stoops won a championship in his second season
Nick saban a championship in his second or third season
Gus malzahn made the championship game in his first season
Will muschamp won 11 in his second season
Mark richt won sec championship in his second season

I expect CCM to do very well by his third season
most coaches win a NC in the first three years of taking over a program. Fulmer and Bowden the exception. AR does not have NC talent. Nutt and Petrino where following building coaches. That helped them. CBB was trying to figure out what he wanted to build. Coach Morris is not in the same position as either Nutt or Petrino. Excepct CBB recruited good character. So maybe it will actually be easier to rebuild if you don't have to start freshman cause the seniors quit the coach.

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mike Anderson aka Houston Nutt 2.0
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2018, 07:44:43 am »

WTFO, how about we let the man actually coach one game first.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2018, 10:44:43 am »

most coaches win a NC in the first three years of taking over a program. Fulmer and Bowden the exception. AR does not have NC talent. Nutt and Petrino where following building coaches. That helped them. CBB was trying to figure out what he wanted to build. Coach Morris is not in the same position as either Nutt or Petrino. Excepct CBB recruited good character. So maybe it will actually be easier to rebuild if you don't have to start freshman cause the seniors quit the coach.

Petrino followed Nutt....who was at the wheel for ten years. Was he still "building" when he got runnoft?

jjdlc

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:18 am »

I hope he is still here in 5 years, regularly burning the program to the ground every 2 or 3 years is not a recipe for success.

Short of an absolute train wreck on the field, or some off field debacle, there isn't many good reasons to fire a coach after a couple seasons.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2018, 12:33:02 pm »

I hope he is still here in 5 years, regularly burning the program to the ground every 2 or 3 years is not a recipe for success.

Short of an absolute train wreck on the field, or some off field debacle, there isn't many good reasons to fire a coach after a couple seasons.

+1  for your patience. Me, I would fire him in year three if he didn't make a bowl game, LOL.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2018, 12:42:05 pm »

Because we just have to have something to yell and get mad about!

31to6

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2018, 12:42:43 pm »

Petrino followed Nutt....who was at the wheel for ten years. Was he still "building" when he got runnoft?
<sarcasm>
Nutt had to rebuild. Don't forget "the Shadow" that bought the man 5 more years after he should have been fired.
</sarcasm>

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2018, 12:59:26 pm »

<sarcasm>
Nutt had to rebuild. Don't forget "the Shadow" that bought the man 5 more years after he should have been fired.
</sarcasm>

Yep. Damn that trucking company. They only had a gravel driveway to boot. What in the hell are we doing cheating with these kind of people?

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »

Makes sense huh? How can anyone come to any kind of belief on how long he will coach here when the man hasn't coached a single game here yet?

31to6

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2018, 04:04:55 pm »

Yep. Damn that trucking company. They only had a gravel driveway to boot. What in the hell are we doing cheating with these kind of people?
In the SEC it is not the cheating that gets you.... it is having a bunch of f——— amateurs for bagmen.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2018, 05:08:54 pm »

In the SEC it is not the cheating that gets you.... it is having a bunch of f——— amateurs for bagmen.

Are you calling me an amateur?

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2018, 12:16:35 pm »

Nutt was on his third cycle of the "ride an in-state freak athlete until they can run no more". Nutt was in constant rebuild because of his lack of ability to build a system. Instead he relied on the freak then adapted the offense to whatever they could deliver. - Monk, Jones, DMAC.

Wildhog

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2018, 12:36:26 pm »

Don't really care if he wins while he's here.
That's a rather interesting viewpoint for a Hog fan. Why would you not care if the Hog HC wins?

Go Hogs!

Haha, I just saw this reply and realized how my post read. 

I meant, "I don't care if he's here in five years, as long he wins while he's here."

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2018, 07:28:15 pm »

starting to get the feeling Morris could turn AR around quicker.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2018, 10:31:13 pm »

They aren't playing around....thats for sure.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2018, 09:51:15 am »

I definitely believe he and the Hogs will surprise some this year.

Gonzo

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

Considering that has not been the Hogs' history (basically 3 HCs in the last 20 years) I think him being here for 5 is more likely than not.

Go Hogs!

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2018, 01:11:59 pm »

Just for accuracy, Joe Adams flipped because Petrino told him he could play offense.  He was committed to USC as a DB.

If all things were equal (meaning Pete Carroll promised him an offensive position), we don't know what he would have done.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:33 pm »

So a 10 year gig, yet Petrino had us as a top 5 team in year 4? 

Awesome logic...

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:10 pm »

I'll stick to my signature line.  Morris will be under 0.500 after 3 years, and Yurachek doesn't go all Long-y on him to keep him around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas