• 395,371 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Poll

Will Chad Morris be our head coach in 5 years?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Coach Morris  (Read 6507 times)

zsanfusa

Coach Morris
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:33 am »

This a tough one for me.  My heart says, yes.  My head is uncertain.

For one thing do I look at the recent history, our last three coaches had no more than five years each.  If he is successful will he jump for a bigger program?  I'm pretty sure Bama will be open in the next five years, for example.  If he has sustained success but not a national breakout year will he still be here?  Let's say his record after five years is 36-24, will he still be here?  Does he avoid the transgressions of our other recent coaches, remaining eligible for employment?  Could he possibly pull a Jack Crowe, and lose the game that can't be lost?

This is only a few of a large number of possible outcomes.  With so many senarios, I thought this would make a interesting poll question and topic.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
Re: Coach Morris
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:20:50 am »

There's legitimately no way to know. The guy hasn't even led a single fall practice.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

zsanfusa

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:08 am »

No crystal ball is necessary.  Just a guess in the name of fun.

rhames

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:25:46 am »

I don't include John L and Petrino would probably be nearing the end of his tenure here if he was not a scum bag.

If Morris is successful he will be here until he either feels he cannot surpass a certain level, or he retires.

Coaches don't really jump around like we try to make it seem during the all the coaching searches at the end of the season.

I wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about it right now.  Just enjoy the ride.

phadedhawg

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:27:13 pm »

meh, who knows.  I see many ways this could go.  Morris could demonstrate he's a competent SEC coach but for reasons (that are too often argued about here) he's never able to break through.  A different school with more advantages feels he would be successful there, and he bolts for greener pastures. 

Having such a small body of work as a head coach, he may prove he's in way over his head and he flames out. 

He could have reasonable amount of success, run a scandal free program and stay in the fan's good graces like Bert and remain here for 5 years.  Who knows? 

I voted "no" because of our school's track record.  When things are going well something stupid seems to seek us out (Petrino) and Morris will have to reach a higher degree of success to remain than Bert.  Bert used up a lot of our fanbase's patience. 

nchogg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:43:32 am »

I voted yes. You never know, can't predict the future.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:47:46 am »

meh, who knows.  I see many ways this could go.  Morris could demonstrate he's a competent SEC coach but for reasons (that are too often argued about here) he's never able to break through.  A different school with more advantages feels he would be successful there, and he bolts for greener pastures. 

Having such a small body of work as a head coach, he may prove he's in way over his head and he flames out. 

He could have reasonable amount of success, run a scandal free program and stay in the fan's good graces like Bert and remain here for 5 years.  Who knows? 

I voted "no" because of our school's track record.  When things are going well something stupid seems to seek us out (Petrino) and Morris will have to reach a higher degree of success to remain than Bert.  Bert used up a lot of our fanbase's patience.

If he flames out as you say he'll still be given 5 years just as Bret was given here, just the way it works here.  CCM I think, whether he succeeds or ultimately fails here, I think he will be given 5 years to right this ship.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'M NOT PERFECT, BUT PARTS OF ME ARE EXCELLENT!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:48:43 am »

I think having to play in Little Rock finally takes its toll and he's gone after year three.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:50:02 am »

I believe Coach Morris will still be the HC at Arkansas in 5 years if he wants to still be here. Arkansas just gave Bret Bielema 5 years and he never got above 7 wins in regular season play so the PTB will probably give Morris at least that long to turn things around.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:58 pm »

50-50 and Pick Em.
Hoping for the best but he is unproven and his hire was a fall back roll of the dice.

jkstock04

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »

I say no because in both good and bad scenerios I see him being gone. Some would say these days 5 years is a long time for a head coach tenure.

He won't have the long leash Bielema did and if we perform poorly he will be ousted. Anyone else getting the feeling he's not gonna have the coach worship fan club Bielema did fans and media alike?

On the other hand if we perform well I could easily see him jumping ship for greener pastures somewhere in Texas.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 04:43:35 pm »

I say no because in both good and bad scenerios I see him being gone. Some would say these days 5 years is a long time for a head coach tenure.

He won't have the long leash Bielema did and if we perform poorly he will be ousted. Anyone else getting the feeling he's not gonna have the coach worship fan club Bielema did fans and media alike?

On the other hand if we perform well I could easily see him jumping ship for greener pastures somewhere in Texas.
He'll get 5 years, just like every other coach, barring some major, off-field debacle.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:57:51 am »

For those saying Morris will be given 5 no matter what, Brett was given a 5 years because he started off with one of the worst rosters in the past 20 years in 2013 and he showed slow, but steady improvement in the team those first 4 years.

In contrast, Morris is starting with 7 pre-season Athalon All-SEC players. If we compare our presence on that list to our opponents, looking at total counts, we should go 4-4 in SEC play and thus likely 8-4 overall. If you think that 4th team all sec shouldn't count the same as first team, we still score higher than 4 of our SEC opponents next year weighting a first team with 4 points, 2nd team with 3 points, then 2 points, and 4th team selections with 1 point.

We are greatly ahead of Vandy, OM, and LSU in this list (LSU is surprisingly underrepresented IMO) and modestly ahead of Auburn. We are just barely behind aTm, and then solidly behind MSU, Miz, and Bama. (Whodathunk that MSU and Miz would be so far ahead of the likes of LSU and Auburn?). In fact, Missouri is tied with Bama for total number of selections with 11 a piece. Even when you weight the selections, Alabama squeaks ahead of Mizzou 32 points to 30.

Georgia paces the entire SEC though with 13 picks and and a weighted 38 points.

This is of course all just pre-season stuff. No telling what will actually come to pass. However, athalon and Phil steele are two of the more accurate preseason predictors. It isn't proof that this team is a lot more talented than a lot of arkansas so called fans think. However, it is yet another piece of outside, unbiased evidence that certainly suggests so and that we could be in for a large jump in wins from the failure last year similar to Nutt and Malzahn's first years coaching in the SEC. We'll see if Morris's coaching abilities are up to par to match.

Wildhog

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 01:01:03 am »

Don't really care if he wins while he's here.

Gonzo

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 01:38:59 am »

Don't really care if he wins while he's here.

That's a rather interesting viewpoint for a Hog fan. Why would you not care if the Hog HC wins?

Go Hogs!

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 06:37:01 am »

For those saying Morris will be given 5 no matter what, Brett was given a 5 years because he started off with one of the worst rosters in the past 20 years in 2013 and he showed slow, but steady improvement in the team those first 4 years.

In contrast, Morris is starting with 7 pre-season Athalon All-SEC players. If we compare our presence on that list to our opponents, looking at total counts, we should go 4-4 in SEC play and thus likely 8-4 overall. If you think that 4th team all sec shouldn't count the same as first team, we still score higher than 4 of our SEC opponents next year weighting a first team with 4 points, 2nd team with 3 points, then 2 points, and 4th team selections with 1 point.

We are greatly ahead of Vandy, OM, and LSU in this list (LSU is surprisingly underrepresented IMO) and modestly ahead of Auburn. We are just barely behind aTm, and then solidly behind MSU, Miz, and Bama. (Whodathunk that MSU and Miz would be so far ahead of the likes of LSU and Auburn?). In fact, Missouri is tied with Bama for total number of selections with 11 a piece. Even when you weight the selections, Alabama squeaks ahead of Mizzou 32 points to 30.

This is of course all just pre-season stuff. No telling what will actually come to pass. However, athalon and Phil steele are two of the more accurate preseason predictors. It isn't proof that this team is a lot more talented than a lot of arkansas so called fans think. However, it is yet another piece of outside, unbiased evidence that certainly suggests so and that we could be in for a large jump in wins from the failure last year similar to Nutt and Malzahn's first years coaching in the SEC. We'll see if Morris's coaching abilities are up to par to match.

I disagree with your first line. Bielema actually inherited a better roster in 2013 than Petrino did in 2008 and Bielema's 2014 starting defense bears that out. It was the best starting defense Bielema had at Arkansas and the majority of the starters were Petrino recruits. It's no coincidence that Bielema's defenses tanked after Petrino's recruits left the program.

As far as steady improvement goes, The team did show some improvement under Bielema in 2014 but stagnated the next 2 years then dropped off of the map in 2017.

jkstock04

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:53 am »

He'll get 5 years, just like every other coach, barring some major, off-field debacle.

I see guys like yourself as being first on board to jump ship if things go south.

Hypothetical, but let's say we go 6 wins, 8 wins, and 11 wins in year 3. A&M or Texas job comes open and comes after him for 8-10 million. I say he's gone.

Another hypothetical....we don't make a bowl game by the end of year 3 and he is fired. No chance he gets the kid gloves treatment in that scenario.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 07:19:42 am »

I see guys like yourself as being first on board to jump ship if things go south.

Hypothetical, but let's say we go 6 wins, 8 wins, and 11 wins in year 3. A&M or Texas job comes open and comes after him for 8-10 million. I say he's gone.

Another hypothetical....we don't make a bowl game by the end of year 3 and he is fired. No chance he gets the kid gloves treatment in that scenario.

I'm not too concerned about losing Morris to A&M or Texas because both have huge long term contracts with their current HCs and Morris is highly ticked off at the Aggies for not seriously considering him. The one to be concerned about is LSU, in my opinion, and what they will do if Orgeron tanks. Clemson is also a possibility if Dabbo jumps ship for Alabama when Saban retires.

rhames

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 07:26:19 am »

I disagree with your first line. Bielema actually inherited a better roster in 2013 than Petrino did in 2008 and Bielema's 2014 starting defense bears that out. It was the best starting defense Bielema had at Arkansas and the majority of the starters were Petrino recruits. It's no coincidence that Bielema's defenses tanked after Petrino's recruits left the program.

As far as steady improvement goes, The team did show some improvement under Bielema in 2014 but stagnated the next 2 years then dropped off of the map in 2017.

Actually they showed improvement in 2015 minus Toledo and Tech. They won 8 games. 5-3 in the sec. 2016 had some blow out loses and 2nd half collapses. That was when the wheels completely came off.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 07:32:50 am »

Actually they showed improvement in 2015 minus Toledo and Tech. They won 8 games. 5-3 in the sec. 2016 had some blow out loses and 2nd half collapses. That was when the wheels completely came off.

They only won 7 regular season games in 2015. they went 5-3 in the SEC but went 2-2 in non-conference play, losing to Toledo and Texas Tech. They improved in SEC play but that was offset by their regression in non-conference play.  In his 5 years at Arkansas, Bielema never had a year where he won 8 regular season games.

rhames

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 07:34:02 am »

They only won 7 regular season games in 2015. they went 5-3 in the SEC but went 2-2 in non-conference play, losing to Toledo and Texas Tech. In his 5 years at Arkansas, Bielema never had a year where he won 8 regular season games.

They won 6 regular season games (2-6 sec) in 2014 and 7 (5-3 in sec) in 2015. That's improvement.

And you basically just re stated what I said hahaha.

Deep Shoat

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:40 am »

See, that's because you are not anywhere near as smart as you think you are.  You think I was a Bielema homer because I always wanted to give his system the time it deserved to work here.  I'll be the exact same way with CCM.  And the next coach.  As long as we don't hire someone with terrible character, I'm a supporter.  Why?  Because Arkansas needs stability to be a great team. 

Maybe someday you'll read what I actually post instead of reading what you want INTO what I post.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 09:23:05 am »

Bielema's leash wasn't long.  As has been pointed out, some progress was made.  The end started in the second half at Mizzou in his 4th season.  To that point, he had done well enough to certainly justify his getting the 5th season.  Long's buyout was stupid and should have never happened if that is what you are referring to as the leash.

I can't see Morris being such an on the field disaster to not get 5 seasons.  If he has success and is in demand, he should look to leave.  This is not a job to stay in if a better competitive balance situation opens ie Dabo goes home and Clemson opens in 4-5-6 seasons or when Jimbo leaves/is fired from A&M.

OkieBack

• Varsity
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:27 am »

I believe Coach Morris will still be the HC at Arkansas in 5 years if he wants to still be here. Arkansas just gave Bret Bielema 5 years and he never got above 7 wins in regular season play so the PTB will probably give Morris at least that long to turn things around.

Houston Nutt was at Arkansas for twice as long, but he won more than 7 games a season.  If CCM is the real deal offensively then I think he will succeed in some measure.  Chavis wasn't my first pick but he knows what it takes to get to a championship game.  Chavis was the main reason I feel CCM may succeed.  You gotta have a defense and Arkansas will undoubtedly build a better, stronger D than Bielema could produce.  But yeah, its hard to say what the landscape in F-ville will look like five years from now let alone two years from now.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 09:43:16 am »

One thing we all have to keep in mind... There's a huge difference between how Yurachek does business and how Long does business. Yurachek appears to be far less tolerant of mediocrity and getting stuck in a rut, and rewarding that with contract extensions.

I think Bielema tried to do good for Arkansas. But just couldn't translate that to success. I don't know if Morris can or not. But he's probably going to not be getting a hefty raise and contract extension until he shows some success with the program. I seriously doubt he does what Long did.

As for will Morris be at Arkansas 5 years?? If we see 4-8, 5-7 and 5-7 in year 3?? I predict Morris gets fired at the end of year 3. If we see something like 6-6, 8-4, 10-2?? He will probably get a hefty raise and contract extension. And yes he will be here 5 years. But too soon to know if Morris has what it takes as a HC to make Arkansas a success. His body of work as a HC just isn't enough for us to know yet.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 10:10:15 am »

Houston Nutt was at Arkansas for twice as long, but he won more than 7 games a season.  If CCM is the real deal offensively then I think he will succeed in some measure.  Chavis wasn't my first pick but he knows what it takes to get to a championship game.  Chavis was the main reason I feel CCM may succeed.  You gotta have a defense and Arkansas will undoubtedly build a better, stronger D than Bielema could produce.  But yeah, its hard to say what the landscape in F-ville will look like five years from now let alone two years from now.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the #1 and #2 defenses played in the Spring game. It was obvious that the players were completely buying in to what Chavis and his staff were selling. It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen that at Arkansas.

King Kong

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:59 am »

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the #1 and #2 defenses played in the Spring game. It was obvious that the players were completely buying in to what Chavis and his staff were selling. It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen that at Arkansas.

Yeah, I think itís easier to get defensive player excited an attacking defense.

Yeah, itís going to get us burned at some points during the year. But hopefully negative yards plays and turnovers can help balance that

jkstock04

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 12:02:58 pm »

See, that's because you are not anywhere near as smart as you think you are.  You think I was a Bielema homer because I always wanted to give his system the time it deserved to work here.  I'll be the exact same way with CCM.  And the next coach.  As long as we don't hire someone with terrible character, I'm a supporter.  Why?  Because Arkansas needs stability to be a great team. 

Maybe someday you'll read what I actually post instead of reading what you want INTO what I post.
Smart enough not to make all out guarantees about the heights Bielema was going to bring us to like you did.

Deep Shoat

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 03:55:32 pm »

Smart enough not to make all out guarantees about the heights Bielema was going to bring us to like you did.
Again, I hope you learn to deal with things I actually posted instead of what you THINK I posted.

PossumFan

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 04:23:50 pm »

I think "yes." He will do well enough to not get fired, but not great enough to get lured away by a better program.

Paul

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 04:34:49 pm »

like his alma mater

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 04:43:53 pm »

Probably not.  He will either fail and be fired or succeed and leave if a better job opens up.  Better job would include recruiting advantages he currently doesn't have.

jkstock04

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 04:57:47 pm »

Again, I hope you learn to deal with things I actually posted instead of what you THINK I posted.
This took about 30 seconds on your post history to find. High comedy. Couldnt have been any more dead wrong. I am a God, can see into the future and everyone who thinks differently is dumb type stuff. You probably have 100s of posts identical or similar.

"You obviously have nothing more than an opinion and a keyboard if you believe CBB or Jeff Long are in ANY danger of being gone after this season.

And that's what I and others are trying to tell you.  This is a long term plan and your unhappiness has no bearing on it.  The absolute best thing you can do, today and for the next two seasons, is shut up and support the program, including the coach.  The odds of winning like you want are much higher if CBB stays, for several years.  Because he ain't leaving for at least two more, and THEN the next guy would need some time to get his systems installed."

AFWarrior83

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »

Why wouldnít he be? Iíve been pleased with what heís been doing so far.

The university has to give the guy a chance to succeed. I donít expect him to have us competing for championships anytime soon, but I do think he will be a successful head coach in time.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 07:12:52 pm »

I've gone into detail multiple times showing why that isn't the case, but I'd love to see you give a position by position breakdown going into detail of depth, talent, and experience of each roster spot of 2013 vs 2008. For example, the vast majority of Petrino's OL came from Nutt, and Bielema quickly was provided virtually no depth or talent with the exception of Swanson and to a lesser degree Cook. Petrino was given a much better qb situation to work with than Bielema. About even on RB talent inherited. Petrino inherited much better TE than Bielema and better WR/experience. Bielema did inherit a good defensive line. However, that is countered by virtually nothing at LB with the entire 2014 group being led by Bielema recruits. Both were about even in DB talent inherited. Bielema inherited a better kicker, albeit for just a single season while Petrino inherited a better kicker.

As for improvement:

2014: saw the team make changes on defense and improve in win totals to 6 regular season, 7 total.
2015: Our offense wasn't up to snuff in 2014, so they made changes to fix that issue. Defense took a step back losing a lot of players, but was still a top notch run stopping unit. Improved to 7 regular season wins and 8 total.
2016: The team was absolutely primed for 8 regular season wins with a 9th win in the bowl game. Absolutely monstrous leads at halftime in both those games. We were by far the superior team on the field, but we lost both in spectacular fashion.
2017: Wheels fell off.

Even if the wheels hadn't fallen off, another 7-5 regular season would have led to Long firing Bielema.

zsanfusa

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 07:38:54 pm »

Yeah, I think itís easier to get defensive player excited an attacking defense.

Yeah, itís going to get us burned at some points during the year. But hopefully negative yards plays and turnovers can help balance that

I agree with you.

Just one thing, How can this year's defense get burned more than our horrible defense last year.  I think big plays may be negated by pressure, mostly a pass rush which didn't exist last year.

LRrazorback

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 08:40:34 pm »

Ha here we go again, I've pointed this out multiple times. In reality he inherited the most talented roster any new coach at AR has ever inherited.

By the way, Mr. Football Tony Barnhart picked us to win 0 conference games and finish last in the west. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:58:20 pm by LRrazorback »

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 08:55:35 pm »

Ha here we go again, I've pointed this out multiple times. In reality he inherited the most talented roster any new coach at AR has ever inherited.

And yet you've failed to provide evidence to back that up.

Opinions are like sphincters, everybody has one. Doesn't mean crap if you can't back it up with actual facts. I presented detailed facts in the thread comparing what Petrino, Bielema, and Morris inherited from the previous staff.

Feel free to make a fact based argument suggesting otherwise. But simply saying "because my feelings tell me this" isn't going to cut it.

LRrazorback

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:37 pm »

And yet you've failed to provide evidence to back that up.

Opinions are like sphincters, everybody has one. Doesn't mean crap if you can't back it up with actual facts. I presented detailed facts in the thread comparing what Petrino, Bielema, and Morris inherited from the previous staff.

Feel free to make a fact based argument suggesting otherwise. But simply saying "because my feelings tell me this" isn't going to cut it.

I've said this so many times on here till I'm blue in the face.

CBP- inherited 4 NFL draft picks picks from HDN

CBB- inherited 10/11 NFL draft picks from CBP.  Also keep in mind, when coaching changes happen it's typically the team is bad (bad players =bad recruiting) however, in this case the players were good, 2 years removed from 10-11 wins and top 5 finish but, the coach was bad.

It's yet to be determined how many draft picks CCM will inherit but, the team has been bad so the players are probably not that great.

Skandar Jackson

• He's learning japanese & getting pretty good at it
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 02:00:22 pm »

I voted no.  We're snakebit.  If he does well he leaves for a better job.  If he does poorly we'll run him out of town. 

We dont know his quirks yet.  Once we figure them out we will wear him about about those too.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 02:02:22 pm »

If he does well he leaves for a better job.

Almost zero chance of this.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »

I've said this so many times on here till I'm blue in the face.

CBP- inherited 4 NFL draft picks picks from HDN

CBB- inherited 10/11 NFL draft picks from CBP.  Also keep in mind, when coaching changes happen it's typically the team is bad (bad players =bad recruiting) however, in this case the players were good, 2 years removed from 10-11 wins and top 5 finish but, the coach was bad.

It's yet to be determined how many draft picks CCM will inherit but, the team has been bad so the players are probably not that great.
easily 8-10 on the team currently.

King Kong

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »

Almost zero chance of this.

Yeah, P5 HC rarely leave for other P5 jobs. Especially considering only like 12 school pay as much as we do.

Also A&M is the only job I could see him leaving for and they are pot committed to there new guy.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »

Bret had a better resume coming in too. Possibly a more "patient" AD as well. But I don't know enough about Yurachek to say for sure.

LRrazorback

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 05:25:06 pm »

easily 8-10 on the team currently.

Let's hope. We shall see

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:43 pm »

I've gone into detail multiple times showing why that isn't the case, but I'd love to see you give a position by position breakdown going into detail of depth, talent, and experience of each roster spot of 2013 vs 2008. For example, the vast majority of Petrino's OL came from Nutt, and Bielema quickly was provided virtually no depth or talent with the exception of Swanson and to a lesser degree Cook. Petrino was given a much better qb situation to work with than Bielema. About even on RB talent inherited. Petrino inherited much better TE than Bielema and better WR/experience. Bielema did inherit a good defensive line. However, that is countered by virtually nothing at LB with the entire 2014 group being led by Bielema recruits. Both were about even in DB talent inherited. Bielema inherited a better kicker, albeit for just a single season while Petrino inherited a better kicker.

As for improvement:

2014: saw the team make changes on defense and improve in win totals to 6 regular season, 7 total.
2015: Our offense wasn't up to snuff in 2014, so they made changes to fix that issue. Defense took a step back losing a lot of players, but was still a top notch run stopping unit. Improved to 7 regular season wins and 8 total.
2016: The team was absolutely primed for 8 regular season wins with a 9th win in the bowl game. Absolutely monstrous leads at halftime in both those games. We were by far the superior team on the field, but we lost both in spectacular fashion.
2017: Wheels fell off.

Even if the wheels hadn't fallen off, another 7-5 regular season would have led to Long firing Bielema.

I stopped where you said CBP inherited a better QB than Bret did. The fact that you seriously believe that Casey Dick was better than Brandon Allen calls the credibility of your Post into question. Casey Dick was a barely serviceable QB who was merely a stop Gap QB until Mallett became eligible in 2009. Bret inherited far more talent and experience than Petrino did.

majestic

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 05:46:58 pm »

I stopped where you said CBP inherited a better QB than Bret did. The fact that you seriously believe that Casey Dick was better than Brandon Allen calls the credibility of your Post into question. Casey Dick was a barely serviceable QB who was merely a stop Gap QB until Mallett became eligible in 2009. Bret inherited far more talent and experience than Petrino did.
He said QB situation, not Casey Dick. Which means.... he had Mallett in the wings. Thus, a better situation than having the Allens.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 06:32:23 pm »

He said QB situation, not Casey Dick. Which means.... he had Mallett in the wings. Thus, a better situation than having the Allens.

He didn't inherit Mallett. Mallett Transferred to Arkansas after Petrino was hired. Petrino inherited Casey Dick.

His statement was Petrino inherited a better QB situation than Bret did which is not true.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 06:58:48 pm »

He didn't inherit Mallett. Mallett Transferred to Arkansas after Petrino was hired. Petrino inherited Casey Dick.

His statement was Petrino inherited a better QB situation than Bret did which is not true.
Yeah... No way Mallett Transfers to Arkansas if Nutt was still the HC. Of course, there was another QB who came to Arkansas too... Guy named Tyler Wilson. He did pretty well too. I am pretty sure Petrino inherited him.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 07:27:21 pm »

Yeah... No way Mallett Transfers to Arkansas if Nutt was still the HC. Of course, there was another QB who came to Arkansas too... Guy named Tyler Wilson. He did pretty well too. I am pretty sure Petrino inherited him.

No, He recruited Tyler. Tyler had already committed to Tulsa before Petrino was hired and Petrino flipped him to Arkansas. He and Mallett both Redshirted in 2008.

Petrino inherited Casey Dick who had started at QB for the 2007 season, Nutt's last year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas