• 9,934,318 Posts
• 399,442 Topics
• 22,898 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curb-stomping and prooving a point  (Read 3125 times)

HeathWimp

• All-American Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
Curb-stomping and prooving a point
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:10:56 am »

One of my biggest questions about the Morris hire is what the overall level of competitiveness of our team will look like.  Even the most die-hard optimists on here know that we are going to be losing at least several games this year, possibly a lot more.  I think a good barometer for the hire is not necessarily the number of losses, but the manner in which we lose.  Are we going to be routinely curb-stomped, as we were under Bielema?  Or do we score some points against the better teams, and look decent in a losing effort?

I always felt like Saban took it easy on Bert, probably owing to Bert's opposition to the tempo offense (at least early in Bert's tenure; Saban eventually added elements of tempo, as we all know).  However, I could see Saban trying to make a point by running up the score on Chadd, since they don't have that same kind of history.  I could see Jimbo Fisher also trying to hammer us, to create a clear separation in quality between us and A&M.  Hard to say with some of the other coaches, but there is always a temptation to go after the new kid on the block.

What does the board think?  Will we be talking about fewer embarrassing losses after next season?  Or will we see other coaches twist the knife when we are at our weakest, starting out with a new coach and a new system?

Until a few games are played, we really aren't going to know what with have with Coach Morris.  I've gone on record here stating my belief that it's not going to work out with him, but I will keep an open mind, and would be glad to admit I was wrong if he ends up doing well.

gawntrail

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Curb-stomping and prooving a point
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:53 am »

It’s all in the eyes.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RagingHawgOn

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:48 am »

Personally, I expect to see a lot more enthusiasm and competitiveness regardless of wins/losses.  I was a Bielema guy, hoping until the end it would work out.  But, I felt the players began reflecting his lack of energy and focus the last couple of years.

I see Morris as a high-energy guy, a motivator who will make sure his guys play through the whistle. And, I love the staff he has assembled. X's and O's aside, it will be refreshing to see that style of play in my opinion.

HeathWimp

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:14 am »

Personally, I expect to see a lot more enthusiasm and competitiveness regardless of wins/losses.  I was a Bielema guy, hoping until the end it would work out.  But, I felt the players began reflecting his lack of energy and focus the last couple of years.

I see Morris as a high-energy guy, a motivator who will make sure his guys play through the whistle. And, I love the staff he has assembled. X's and O's aside, it will be refreshing to see that style of play in my opinion.

Chadd's energy level is one thing that does give me a little hope.   After 5 years of a diabetic sugar coma, anything will be an improvement.

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:07 pm »

I'm in agreement with this.  I think we will be more competitive because we will be a little more experienced as a team, and the energy of the new staff will rub off on the players.  If CCM is a perfectionist similar to how Bobby was, "brain farts" on the field will also drastically reduce.

I don't see coaches such as Saban and Jimbo running up the score for the sake of sending a childish message.  These are NC winning coaches.  If the spread is big, it will be because they beat us handily in their pursuit of another championship.  No other reason.  I do think we will compete better in those situations.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:48:57 pm by MultipleScoreGasms »

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:11:29 pm »

This is how I feel. I too was a Bielema supporter until it was clear a few games into last season he indeed had lost the team/program.

While the OP points out Bielema getting "routinely" curb-stomped, remember this was in a few games of the last 2 years. Before that his M-O was losing the excruciating "close game." 2014 had many of these. Maybe the attitude of the players WILL reflect the new staff's energy. And just maybe that alone could decide a close game or 2.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:53 pm »

..."curb stomping"?...boy, that's harsh considering what "curb stomping" actually is. Gives me the willies. How about just "getting blown out"?  ;)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:26:50 pm »

One of my biggest questions about the Morris hire is what the overall level of competitiveness of our team will look like.  Even the most die-hard optimists on here know that we are going to be losing at least several games this year, possibly a lot more.  I think a good barometer for the hire is not necessarily the number of losses, but the manner in which we lose.  Are we going to be routinely curb-stomped, as we were under Bielema?  Or do we score some points against the better teams, and look decent in a losing effort?

I always felt like Saban took it easy on Bert, probably owing to Bert's opposition to the tempo offense (at least early in Bert's tenure; Saban eventually added elements of tempo, as we all know).  However, I could see Saban trying to make a point by running up the score on Chadd, since they don't have that same kind of history.  I could see Jimbo Fisher also trying to hammer us, to create a clear separation in quality between us and A&M.  Hard to say with some of the other coaches, but there is always a temptation to go after the new kid on the block.

What does the board think?  Will we be talking about fewer embarrassing losses after next season?  Or will we see other coaches twist the knife when we are at our weakest, starting out with a new coach and a new system?

Until a few games are played, we really aren't going to know what with have with Coach Morris.  I've gone on record here stating my belief that it's not going to work out with him, but I will keep an open mind, and would be glad to admit I was wrong if he ends up doing well.
I think if you see anyone do that to us you will see someone questioning the toughness of his players openly, and not trying to have a hug-out to get everyone feeling better about themselves. He already has eluded to the tendency of some of the guys on the team to let one bad play effect them emotionally and have it cause 2 or 3 bad plays. Even if we are getting curb stomped you will see a coach and a team get their revenge on the ones doing it further on up the road.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 01:27:28 pm »

..."curb stomping"?...boy, that's harsh considering what "curb stomping" actually is. Gives me the willies. How about just "getting blown out"?  ;)

True Dat...

Al Boarland

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:34:14 pm »

I think we'll score some points. I'm very concerned about the D.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »

I believe our defensive line play is going to relieve many of the problems we saw our DB's facing the past few years, and the top Juco DE in the nation wasn't even on campus for Spring ball... On top of that our talent in the backfield is improving radically too. I don't know if it will swing to being a strong point for us, but our defense will not be the glaring bungle of deficiency that it was the past few seasons begining this next season...

Al Boarland

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 02:06:58 pm »

I believe our defensive line play is going to relieve many of the problems we saw our DB's facing the past few years, and the top Juco DE in the nation wasn't even on campus for Spring ball... On top of that our talent in the backfield is improving radically too. I don't know if it will swing to being a strong point for us, but our defense will not be the glaring bungle of deficiency that it was the past few seasons begining this next season...

I'm just not convinced.

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 02:13:12 pm »

Not sure we can do any worse than what the D has done the past 2 seasons. What does give me a glimmer of hope is that i do believe CCM is going to let Chavis run the D with little interference.

Pigsknuckles

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When you least expect it...
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 03:27:51 pm »

Same here. Last year we gave up 434 points and scored 296. Gave up 231 2nd half points and scored 165. Gave up 122 4th quarter points to our 109. We actually only blew one halftime lead. We will have to play 4 quarters on both sides of the ball. The grind ate us up last year.

Al Boarland

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 04:20:30 am »

Not sure we can do any worse than what the D has done the past 2 seasons. What does give me a glimmer of hope is that i do believe CCM is going to let Chavis run the D with little interference.

Not doing any worse is not the kind of bar you want if you want to compete. I just think there are talent and depth issues to see the kind of bump people want to see. We have a few good players.

Melancholy_Pigg

• Varsity
  • Excuse me, sir. Did you just insult that pig?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 06:04:08 am »

I am ready to give Morris the same passes BB got when evaluating first year performance. 

The good news is he won't be in a position to need them.  And no I am not anticipating we win the SEC West.

But highly doubt we go winless in the SEC.  I like this guy.  He will make some things happen.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:23 am »

I’ve seen enough to know the defense is going to be the early strength of this team while the offense finds its footing.  We have SEC level players at all starting positions.  Now, not Bama level, but general SEC level.  Combine that with letting the players play to their strengths and not running the brain dead defensive schemes of the past couple of years and they will be somewhere between competent and good...maybe even very good if they stay healthy.  A good defense usually prevents most curb stomping.  Losses should be more respectable at a minimum.

twistitup

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 08:01:12 am »

I say we win w Morris but he only stays 3-4yrs and gets bought out by A&M....after JIMBO fails miserably there and CCM has the SEC / A&M experience the Aggies are looking for.

HeathWimp

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08:56 am »

This is how I feel. I too was a Bielema supporter until it was clear a few games into last season he indeed had lost the team/program.

While the OP points out Bielema getting "routinely" curb-stomped, remember this was in a few games of the last 2 years. Before that his M-O was losing the excruciating "close game." 2014 had many of these. Maybe the attitude of the players WILL reflect the new staff's energy. And just maybe that alone could decide a close game or 2.

Bama game from 2013 says "hello."  I think they put the water boy in for one of their touchdowns.  There were plenty of other curb-stompings in Bert's earlier seasons. 

But yes, he lost the close ones as well.  He had a deep portfolio of "how to lose games."

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 08:37:44 am »

We see how it falls out, but I agree that we going to get drilled by a few teams this year.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 10:03:34 am »

We're going to beat A&M. Sumlin is a better coach for a Texas team than Fisher is, and even Bret took them to overtime more often than not.

We were at a razor's margin already and they went downwards while we went upwards.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 10:12:00 am »

I say we win w Morris but he only stays 3-4yrs and gets bought out by A&M....after JIMBO fails miserably there and CCM has the SEC / A&M experience the Aggies are looking for.
Nah. Morris may eventually go to A&M, but Jimbo isnt getting canned for at least 5 years. And it wont be for better money, if he gets us to a national contender, Arkansas will pay the man accordingly.

Polecat

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 10:28:49 am »

Chadd's energy level is one thing that does give me a little hope.   After 5 years of a diabetic sugar coma, anything will be an improvement.

Chad*

systemroot

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »

We're going to beat A&M. Sumlin is a better coach for a Texas team than Fisher is, and even Bret took them to overtime more often than not.

We were at a razor's margin already and they went downwards while we went upwards.

We went upwards? I guess we watched two different Razorback teams.

lechon

• Senior
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie.......
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »

Saban needs to worry about us not running up the score on him.Thats my attitude anyway. WPS......

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 01:56:23 pm »

I honestly doubt that Saban will feel the need to "curb stomp" us or whatever other expression one might use when we play them. They have nothing at all to prove, especially when it comes to whatever offense we might run against them. I believe that he'll feel that if the Tide plays it's normal (almost) error-free game with great effort they'll not be too stressed about the final score.

HillBillyHogfan

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 02:25:57 pm »

This can never happen again

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »

I expect competetivness from whistle to the fat lady signing.  If we get blown out that team will be a darn good to great even, team.  I expect a good defense that will take its knocks without giving up and I feel sorry for any player that takes plays off.  I expect the offense to round into form by he aTm game and that game to be another tough loss.  I expect to get mauled by Bama and The High Plains Cheaters but after gaining valuable experience from those losses I expect to finish the season strong.  Seven wins is doable but if it’s only 4.5,6 we WILL see the progress.

And that’s all I want, progress...then we will discuss IF it was in fact progress until the 2019 season and the same unanswerable questions will be ask again.

welchog

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 04:32:29 pm »

Some of you guys sound like the techs at NASA during Apollo 13.  Trying to find ways to explain the astronaut's deaths before they crashed.

I like the optimist approach.  I think this will be our finest hour!  Put me down for at least 8 wins.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »

This can never happen again

This is where Bret lost me. Should have been fired after this game

jkstock04

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »

theFlyingHog

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 05:33:15 pm »

I found the Democrat. Jk, jk ;)

lasthog

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 06:13:26 pm »

HogBreath

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 10:08:15 pm »

This is where Bret lost me. Should have been fired after this game

Exactly right, fatso Bert should have had his time come to a screeching halt right there, but he still had the Mr. Integrity idiot, Jiffy Pop Long still covering for his lame, can't coach a lick butt at that point.

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:23 pm »

We went upwards? I guess we watched two different Razorback teams.

Talking in terms of coaching.

Context.

systemroot

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 10:04:14 am »

Talking in terms of coaching.

Context.

I'm not sure we are giving A&M enough credit. Arkansas will never pull off that kind of hire. Lots of people say that Jimbo was on his way out of the door at FSU but many do not see it that way. Several FSU fans that I know were more lenient considering all of the injuries he had to deal with.

I won't go so far as to say that A&M will beat Bama year in and year out but they will be competing for the West crown with Jimbo coaching.

HogPharmer

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 10:26:05 am »

Curb Stomping is a commonly-used term when discussing football... It has become increasingly more popular since the former LSU Quarterback Jordan "Boots" Jefferson curb stomped a veteran at a bar in Baton Rouge in 2011.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 11:08:36 am »

Curb Stomping is a commonly-used term when discussing football... It has become increasingly more popular since the former LSU Quarterback Jordan "Boots" Jefferson curb stomped a veteran at a bar in Baton Rouge in 2011.

Yes....I'm quite aware.

I found the Democrat. Jk, jk ;)

Ha! Nope.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:04 am »

You can count on gus trying to score 70 on his buddy Chad

RedyorNot

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 11:31:37 am »

Both Morris and Chavis are high intensity guys, so I expect the kids to play hard beginning to end. The fact the players are excited to play aggressively on both sides of the ball will help too.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2018, 12:01:31 pm »

Wasn't DMAC also trying to do that when he broke his foot. It's  brutal sometimes, lethal and I think the point was it shouldn't be used to describe football.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:27:27 pm by Nashville Fan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas