• 395,372 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Baker's Dozen Predictions for 2018  (Read 3191 times)

redleg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Baker's Dozen Predictions for 2018
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:17:35 am »

Here are my Baker's Dozen Predictions (best guesses) for the Razorbacks 2018 season...:

1. Cole Kelley will start at QB. Ty Storey might get a few looks too, but I think that in the end, Kelley is the man, at least for the next two seasons.
2. Devwah Whaley will start at RB, and he will finish the season with just over 1,000 yards rushing.
3. TJ Hammonds, Chase Hayden, and Maleek Williams will all have good seasons running the ball. I see Williams running over a few people! But Hammonds and Hayden will use their elusiveness, receiving abilities and special teams abilities to make bigger impacts. Rakeem Boyd may get lost in the mix.
4. Brandon Martin will emerge as the go-to "red zone" receiver and deep threat. Jared Cornelius will not lead the team in any specific category, but he will be the receiving corps leader, and a team captain.
5. Hjalte Froholdt will be a 1st Team SEC player.
6. Sosa Agim will move all over the D-Line, and will cause weekly havoc with opposing offenses.
7. Dorian Gerald and Randy Ramsey will finish with at least 7 1/2 sacks each.
8. DeJon Harris will lead the team in tackles...again.
9. Derrick Munson will be the next Dre Greenlaw...both of which will constantly be around the ball.
10. Ryan Pulley will be 1st Team SEC, although Santos Ramirez will lead the team in INTs with 4.
11. De'Vion Warren will have at least 2 kickoffs returned for TDs, and Hammonds will return at least 1 punt for a TD.
12. Connor Limpert will be more than adequate as the placekicker. He will not miss any extra points (unless it is blocked), and he will hit 80% of his field goals.
13. Arkansas will finish the 2018 season 8-4, 4-4 in SEC...losses to Alabama, LSU, at Auburn, and at Miss St.

zsanfusa

Re: Baker's Dozen Predictions for 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:24:12 am »

I love the optimism.  WPS!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

wildturkey8

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:57 am »

Don't really understand all the Mississippi State love in the media.  Unproven HC, lost a lot to graduation.

rljjr

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:33:32 am »

Don't really understand all the Mississippi State love in the media.  Unproven HC, lost a lot to graduation.

It's all based around a veteran QB. Not saying I don't agree with you, but it's all about Fitzgerald.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:44 am »

They return 81% of their offensive and defensive production from last year. That's #1 in the SEC and #8 in the country.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:37:01 am »

Pettway will be our best receiver this season.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39:58 am »

I'm gonna call the Miss St. game a loss for the Hogs for a few reasons...1. It's in Starkville, and that is a tough place to go win a ballgame. 2. Their starting QB (Fitzgerald) is a dynamic and elusive play maker. 3. They have 8 starters returning on offense, and 6 on defense.
With a little bit of luck, maybe this new head coach of theirs will turn out to be not as good as Dan Mullen.
I am expecting Mullen to win a national championship at Florida in the next five years.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 09:43:29 am »

They return 81% of their offensive and defensive production from last year. That's #1 in the SEC and #8 in the country.
I think expectations after this new coaches first season will be unreasonably high. He has the benefit of numerous returning starters, and a dynamic QB. Unless he is another underrated head coach, I see disappointment for MSU down the road.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 09:44:53 am »

I think expectations after this new coaches first season will be unreasonably high. He has the benefit of numerous returning starters, and a dynamic QB. Unless he is another underrated head coach, I see disappointment for MSU down the road.

Unreasonably high as compared to expecting Morris to go 8-4 with a team who did the opposite of that last year?

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:48:20 am »

Unreasonably high as compared to expecting Morris to go 8-4 with a team who did the opposite of that last year?
AFTER his first season. Reading is fundamental.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 09:53:50 am »

Also he is very well respected especially for the turnaround in PSU's offense.  Was a very good FCS HC as well.  There was no drop-off in recruiting with Mullen's departure either. 

I'm a bit skeptical as well because the SEC is such a meat grinder, but the pieces are there for them to have a very good season.  They followed the same formula when they hired Mullen.  Get a coordinator with a record of developing QB's and a very productive offense.  Honestly although Mullen's departure caused some hurt feelings with the MSU fans it may be a win win situation for Florida and them.  Mullen had a good 9 year run, really elevated the program and left them on very solid ground, but he may have gotten everything he could out of the program.  New blood and someone ready for a new challenge may be just what MSU needs to keep it going.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:02 am »

AFTER his first season. Reading is fundamental.

Yes, I can read.

You think it's unreasonable to expect Moorhead to do anything after season one, but perfectly reasonable to expect Morris to go 8-4 in year one.

That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever, but so be it.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 09:55:26 am »

It's on the upper end for sure, but the schedule trades TCU and South Carolina for Colorado State and Vanderbilt. IF we assume we win those that's half the improvement in W/L right there without any on-field performance improvement.

wildturkey8

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 09:55:27 am »

But lose Nick Fitzgerald, who I suspect made the rest of the unit look better than they really were. 

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 09:56:42 am »

Also he is very well respected especially for the turnaround in PSU's offense.  Was a very good FCS HC as well.  There was no drop-off in recruiting with Mullen's departure either. 

I'm a bit skeptical as well because the SEC is such a meat grinder, but the pieces are there for them to have a very good season.  They followed the same formula when they hired Mullen.  Get a coordinator with a record of developing QB's and a very productive offense.  Honestly although Mullen's departure caused some hurt feelings with the MSU fans it may be a win win situation for Florida and them.  Mullen had a good 9 year run, really elevated the program and left them on very solid ground, but he may have gotten everything he could out of the program.  New blood and someone ready for a new challenge may be just what MSU needs to keep it going.

I agree. I really think Moorhead has all the makings of a Mullen 2.0.

Lord I hope I'm wrong because I'm sick of friggin' Mississippi State being more relevant than we are, but I don't understand the hate and disregard for that program.

Only time will tell.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 09:57:21 am »

But lose Nick Fitzgerald, who I suspect made the rest of the unit look better than they really were.

This year? Fitzgerald is still there. This will be his senior season.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:14 am »

Man I wish I could believe number 12.  After the spring game I just do not see it.  I thought the spring game was full of Dr Pepper student competition in the FG department.

wildturkey8

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:40 am »

I agree. I really think Moorhead has all the makings of a Mullen 2.0.

Lord I hope I'm wrong because I'm sick of friggin' Mississippi State being more relevant than we are, but I don't understand the hate and disregard for that program.

Only time will tell.
Or Bielema 2.0

rhames

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:34 am »

Or Bielema 2.0

Morris could be Bielema 2.0 here just with a different offense.

Morris has a tougher job than Moorehead has this year.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 11:23:56 am »

I think Pettway emerges and Brandon Martin goes the way of Duwop Mitchell - look like Tarzan, play like Jane.  Hope I’m wrong!

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 12:06:33 pm »

Yes, I can read.

You think it's unreasonable to expect Moorhead to do anything after season one, but perfectly reasonable to expect Morris to go 8-4 in year one.

That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever, but so be it.
I think Miss St fans expectations will be unreasonably high after his first season, yes. With a little bit of luck, maybe he will be overrated. I certainly don't think he is as good as Mullen.
I am being optimistic for Morris' first year, for sure. 8-4 would be the high end of victories I think, but it is attainable. They should win all four non-conference games, and they should beat Ole Miss and Vandy. That's 6 wins. It is not unreasonable to think Morris could coach them to an upset or two.

Al Boarland

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 12:18:23 pm »

All positives. Seems legit.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 12:54:54 pm »

I think Pettway emerges and Brandon Martin goes the way of Duwop Mitchell - look like Tarzan, play like Jane.  Hope I’m wrong!
I think Pettway has a big year in this offense. Possibly all conference.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:15 pm »

Here are my Baker's Dozen Predictions (best guesses) for the Razorbacks 2018 season...:

1. Cole Kelley will start at QB. Ty Storey might get a few looks too, but I think that in the end, Kelley is the man, at least for the next two seasons.
2. Devwah Whaley will start at RB, and he will finish the season with just over 1,000 yards rushing.
3. TJ Hammonds, Chase Hayden, and Maleek Williams will all have good seasons running the ball. I see Williams running over a few people! But Hammonds and Hayden will use their elusiveness, receiving abilities and special teams abilities to make bigger impacts. Rakeem Boyd may get lost in the mix.
4. Brandon Martin will emerge as the go-to "red zone" receiver and deep threat. Jared Cornelius will not lead the team in any specific category, but he will be the receiving corps leader, and a team captain.
6. Sosa Agim will move all over the D-Line, and will cause weekly havoc with opposing offenses.
9. Derrick Munson will be the next Dre Greenlaw...both of which will constantly be around the ball.
10. Ryan Pulley will be 1st Team SEC, although Santos Ramirez will lead the team in INTs with 4.
11. De'Vion Warren will have at least 2 kickoffs returned for TDs, and Hammonds will return at least 1 punt for a TD.
12. Connor Limpert will be more than adequate as the placekicker. He will not miss any extra points (unless it is blocked), and he will hit 80% of his field goals.
13. Arkansas will finish the 2018 season 8-4, 4-4 in SEC...losses to Alabama, LSU, at Auburn, and at Miss St.

Here's a prediction for you . . . I'll put the over/under for "number of the above predictions that are - objectively - 'correct' after the end of the 2018 season" at 5 1/2.  And I'm going with . . . the Under.

By the way . . . if your current gig doesn't work out, you might try reading tea leaves, or otherwise telling fortunes. 

wildturkey8

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 01:36:01 pm »

Morris could be Bielema 2.0 here just with a different offense.

Morris has a tougher job than Moorehead has this year.
Perhaps, I thought Fitzgerald was done but I was mistaken.  Still, that is a winnable game.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »

I'm gonna call the Miss St. game a loss for the Hogs for a few reasons...1. It's in Starkville, and that is a tough place to go win a ballgame. 2. Their starting QB (Fitzgerald) is a dynamic and elusive play maker. 3. They have 8 starters returning on offense, and 6 on defense.
With a little bit of luck, maybe this new head coach of theirs will turn out to be not as good as Dan Mullen.
I am expecting Mullen to win a national championship at Florida in the next five years.
Mississippi State had better hope he doesn't win one, because if he goes to Florida and does good, but not great they won't take a knock for NOT being a destination job. Mullen was very happy there, and if this next guy can keep building they will own Mississippi here in the short future...

rhames

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 02:08:23 pm »

Perhaps, I thought Fitzgerald was done but I was mistaken.  Still, that is a winnable game.

It's one of our toughest games next year.

wildturkey8

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 02:21:40 pm »

It's one of our toughest games next year.
They are all tough.  Still I think they have hit a ceiling. We shall see.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 02:31:58 pm »

For the record. The Hogs also have 8 returning starters on offense along with a much better offensive coaching staff and if you count Pulley, who was out for most of last season with an injury, the Hogs return 7 starters on defense plus the New defensive staff is a MASSIVE step up from last year's defensive staff. I'm predicting 6 wins this year. Any more than that I will consider icing on the cake.

lakecityhog

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 02:35:18 pm »

Fitzgerald is coming off a major injury, correct? His running ability may be somewhat reduced and if so the more 1 dimensional he becomes the less of a threat he is.

wildturkey8

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 02:43:29 pm »

Last time we played in Starkville we scored 58 pts.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 02:47:41 pm »

Lawn Boy opener first night.

rhames

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 02:53:11 pm »

They are all tough.  Still I think they have hit a ceiling. We shall see.

It is probably the third toughest game after Alabama and Auburn.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 02:54:03 pm »

Agree and this is not a good thing

I also agree with this.

wildturkey8

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 02:56:35 pm »

It is probably the third toughest game after Alabama and Auburn.
No way.  Not tougher than LSU and Texas A&M.

rhames

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 03:01:49 pm »

No way.  Not tougher than LSU and Texas A&M.

Yes way.  LSU is in for a down year. I actually think this is Arkansas's most winnable conference game after vandy and ole miss. Mississipl State will be better than LSU.

Texas A&M will still be figuring stuff out when we play them, just like us. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a close game like we have seen the past few years with them outside of 2016.

Hogs most likely go 0-3 against these teams though.

wildturkey8

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 03:04:43 pm »

Yes way.  LSU is in for a down year. I actually think this is Arkansas's most winnable conference game after vandy and ole miss. Mississipl State will be better than LSU.

Texas A&M will still be figuring stuff out when we play them, just like us. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a close game like we have seen the past few years with them outside of 2016.

Hogs most likely go 0-3 against these teams though.
Nope. Just have to agree to disagree, we will find out when they play the games.

rhames

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 03:06:44 pm »

Nope. Just have to agree to disagree, we will find out when they play the games.

I mean based on returning production and all that most people would reach my conclusion.

Do you have any counterpoints or are you just spitballing?

wildturkey8

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »

I mean based on returning production and all that most people would reach my conclusion.

Do you have any counterpoints or are you just spitballing?

Not going argue, I disagree.  As I said, we will find out this fall.  I am entitled to my opinion just as you are.

rhames

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 03:15:45 pm »

Not going argue, I disagree.  As I said, we will find out this fall.  I am entitled to my opinion just as you are.

I'm not saying you aren't. I was just curious as to why you thought that way. Usually people base their opinions on things that are presented to them. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

wildturkey8

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2018, 03:19:57 pm »

I'm not saying you aren't. I was just curious as to why you thought that way. Usually people base their opinions on things that are presented to them. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
I based it on what I saw on the field.  Arkansas should have beaten them last year in front of 20,000 at RRS when things were as bad it could be for the team.  They have good players at a lot of positions but not great and not at every position.  Plus they are breaking in a new HC in the SEC.  It would not surprise if they lose to Ole Miss.

rhames

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2018, 03:23:57 pm »

I based it on what I saw on the field.  Arkansas should have beaten them last year in front of 20,000 at RRS when things were as bad it could be for the team.  They have good players at a lot of positions but not great and not at every position. Plus they are breaking in a new HC in the SEC.  It would not surprise if they lose to Ole Miss.

Yeah we are going to have to agree to disagree. That game was miserable and Miss State did not want to be there. When push came to shove though, they got the W while Arkansas finished 4-8.

Roster wise, they have a little more experience and talent than we do. They, while in transition, are better suited for Moorehead's offense than the Hogs currently are for Morris's

The bolded point could be used to describe Arkansas as well

wildturkey8

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2018, 03:26:09 pm »

You do realize they lost to Ole Miss last year at Davis-Wade?

rhames

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2018, 03:29:42 pm »

You do realize they lost to Ole Miss last year at Davis-Wade?

After they lost their QB to injury. We should have lost to Ole Miss, who finished a head of us in the SEC last year. I'm not sure Ole Miss is as bad as you think they are.

wildturkey8

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 03:31:22 pm »

After they lost their QB to injury. We should have lost to Ole Miss, who finished a head of us in the SEC last year. I'm not sure Ole Miss is as bad as you think they are.
But it was an absolutely splendid day in Oxford and we got the W as you so eloquently state. 

rhames

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »

But it was an absolutely splendid day in Oxford and we got the W as you so eloquently state. 

I guess if you can find solice in 4-8.

Are you trying to draw a false equivalency to our game Vs Miss State, Ole Miss vs Miss State, and our game vs ole miss?

wildturkey8

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »

I guess if you can find solice in 4-8.

Are you trying to draw a false equivalency to our game Vs Miss State, Ole Miss vs Miss State, and our game vs ole miss?

You are Sting Ray, I've figured it out.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2018, 03:36:17 pm »

Does that make you a sunshine pumper?

This is why so many on Hogville go on suicide watch during football. Expecting a brand new head coach with a brand new system to turn a 4-8 team into an 8-4 team.

Yeah, it could happen. No doubt it could happen. But to expect it? C'mon. I'll expect 5 and be thrilled with anything more than that.

With what we'll have returning next year (lol, classic next year!) and the way the schedule sets up next year and depending on what we see this year, yeah I think 2019 could be pretty special.

wildturkey8

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »

Does that make you a sunshine pumper?

This is why so many on Hogville go on suicide watch during football. Expecting a brand new head coach with a brand new system to turn a 4-8 team into an 8-4 team.

Yeah, it could happen. No doubt it could happen. But to expect it? C'mon. I'll expect 5 and be thrilled with anything more than that.

With what we'll have returning next year (lol, classic next year!) and the way the schedule sets up next year and depending on what we see this year, yeah I think 2019 could be pretty special.
I've said it will be a tough year but Mississippi State is a place where we could steal a win.  You take yourself too seriously, why I don't know.

rhames

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »

That may be the first reference to ever go over my head Haha

There is nothing wrong with being positive. I think in a year or two Morris can have us back to a respectable level, and possibly more! I just don't think he is a miracle worker. And he doesn't have to be 

I would love them to come out and shock me and the world, I just think so many things are stacked against them to do that right now. I do think this year will be more fun to watch than last year, even If they only win one more game.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas