Actions
  • #51 by King Kong on 25 May 2018
  • IMO. Second best player on the team.
  • #52 by Pig in the Pokey on 25 May 2018
  • Told y'all.
  • #53 by batmanfan on 25 May 2018
  • #54 by Hawg Red on 25 May 2018
  • heís been here a year....

And hasnít played organized, competetive basketball in well over a year....
  • #55 by HoopS on 25 May 2018
  • And hasnít played organized, competetive basketball in well over a year....
    I thought you were spitting some LL at me.

Nevermind.
  • #56 by ADavisTheGOAT on 25 May 2018
  • Told y'all.
    You didnít tell us anything
  • #57 by systemroot on 25 May 2018
    • systemroot
  • #58 by Pig in the Pokey on 25 May 2018
  • What did you tell us?
    Garland will be back. you'll see. Many were saying he'll never play again.
  • #59 by Big Nasty 34 on 25 May 2018
  • Garland will be back. you'll see. Many were saying he'll never play again.

Heís been doing workouts like this all year. The hogs have restrictions but he can do what he wants on his own I suppose.
  • #60 by Pig in the Pokey on 26 May 2018
  • Heís been doing workouts like this all year. The hogs have restrictions but he can do what he wants on his own I suppose.
    i know, i talked to him last fall. he wanted to play then and would have signed whatever waiver there was. Im just saying I think he will get to suit up this year. NOBODy knows, and we shall see.
  • #61 by Randohoggie on 26 May 2018
  • NOBODy knows, and we shall see.

Then why are you saying he will suit up this year?
  • #62 by Pig in the Pokey on 26 May 2018
  • Then why are you saying he will suit up this year?
    because it's ultimately going to be his decision, and he will play.
  • #63 by Hou-Hog on 26 May 2018
  • because it's ultimately going to be his decision, and he will play.
    that is not true.  He has to find an institution that will allow him to play then it will be his decision
  • #64 by Pig in the Pokey on 26 May 2018
  • fair enough. thats the last hurdle- getting Arkansas on board. He will play SOMEWHERE I should say.
  • #65 by systemroot on 27 May 2018
  • fair enough. thats the last hurdle- getting Arkansas on board. He will play SOMEWHERE I should say.

There are a lot of dumb people out there but I am not so sure that they are dumb enough to offer him a waiver just to wait for him to drop dead on the court from his medical condition. Dream on kid, dream on.
    • systemroot
  • #66 by Randohoggie on 27 May 2018

Wrong.
  • #67 by Grumpypenguin on 27 May 2018

If stuff like this was true Chris Bosh would still be playing in the NBA
  • #68 by Pig in the Pokey on 27 May 2018
  • smh, that isnt even the same thing. believe whatever you want. if you were in any way correct, WHY IS HE STILL ON THE TEAM?
  • #69 by Grumpypenguin on 27 May 2018
  • smh, that isnt even the same thing. believe whatever you want. if you were in any way correct, WHY IS HE STILL ON THE TEAM?

It doesn't have to be same thing, it's a similar situation. Chris Bosh and Garland both want to play but aren't getting the medical clearance necessary for teams to actually allow them to play. So no, it's not up to Garland if he plays or not
  • #70 by Vcloudv on 27 May 2018
  • This is why they're taking things slow with Khalil. They don't want to end up with something tragic like this.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/23623940/north-carolina-youth-basketball-player-dies-collapsing-court-virginia-tournament
  • #71 by Hawg Red on 27 May 2018

Because there are 8 newcomers hitting campus and there is no real reason to rush to a decision on his ultimate status at this time. They have the luxury of giving this thing every amount bit of time they can before they would need to make a determination of declaring him medically fit or unfit.

The point youíre responding to was a response to you saying a player can play if he wants to. What is being said is that isnít nearly that simple. Itís possible that Garland could not find a university willing to clear him just as Chris Bosh was not able to find clearance to resume his NBA career. But heís still on the team because maybe there is a shred of hope he can still play. Doesnít mean that the deck isnít heavily stacked against him. Itís a delicate situation. I donít see the coaches or administration in a rush to make a decision either way.
  • #72 by Letsroll1200 on 27 May 2018
  • So Khalil had this condition since middle school or high school? Arkansas offered knowing about this condition. This situation is strange. Hope for the best for Khalil, basketball is secondary.
  • #73 by JIHawg on 27 May 2018

This shows a lack of understanding of how the medical system works.  Mike will do what the doctor tells him (hello, avoiding lawsuits), and the doctor will read all the reports and make a decision.  It's the doctor's call.  The doctor doesn't want to get sued either.
  • #74 by RealHog on 28 May 2018
  • This shows a lack of understanding of how the medical system works.  Mike will do what the doctor tells him (hello, avoiding lawsuits), and the doctor will read all the reports and make a decision.  It's the doctor's call.  The doctor doesn't want to get sued either.

Yeah the ol Rainwater Holt and Sextons of the world will be monitoring this situation closely.
  • #75 by Big Nasty 34 on 28 May 2018
  • So Khalil had this condition since middle school or high school? Arkansas offered knowing about this condition. This situation is strange. Hope for the best for Khalil, basketball is secondary.

I doubt it was known until a deeper round of testing was done when he got a physical to play at Arkansas. I doubt the physicals in middle and high schools were that in depth.
  • #76 by HognitiveDissonance on 28 May 2018
  • I doubt it was known until a deeper round of testing was done when he got a physical to play at Arkansas. I doubt the physicals in middle and high schools were that in depth.
    Agreed.
    It's my take that when Garland first came to campus, he took a routine UA physical that's administered to all incoming athletes. It's there that something more in depth was found.
    I highly doubt the UA would have recruited him the way they did fully knowing the extent of his situation.
  • #77 by King Kong on 28 May 2018
  • Agreed.
    It's my take that when Garland first came to campus, he took a routine UA physical that's administered to all incoming athletes. It's there that something more in depth was found.
    I highly doubt the UA would have recruited him the way they did fully knowing the extent of his situation.

Porked Tongue tells it differently and he is much more plugged in than you and I
  • #78 by ShadowHawg on 30 May 2018
  • Porked Tongue tells it differently and he is much more plugged in than you and I

I believe they knew there was an issue, but basic HIPAA laws would prevent the U of A from knowing the full extent of the situation until he was on campus.
  • #79 by daprospecta on 30 May 2018
  • I doubt it was known until a deeper round of testing was done when he got a physical to play at Arkansas. I doubt the physicals in middle and high schools were that in depth.
    The high school physicals are nothing like the one you get once you get to the UofA.  I had to run on the treadmill with the the wires hooked up because they thought they heard something irregular. Lucky for me, it was nothing. 
  • #80 by alohawg on 30 May 2018
  • The high school physicals are nothing like the one you get once you get to the UofA.  I had to run on the treadmill with the the wires hooked up because they thought they heard something irregular. Lucky for me, it was nothing. 

What sport?
  • #81 by TebowHater on 30 May 2018

Correct. It is not a physical that detected it.

It is an echocardiogram, which is looking at the heart with an ultrasound. Most people, especially under 60, have probably never had one.
  • #82 by DThog90 on 30 May 2018
  • GB is 5 h k.  Mnnm .. no.nm m.  Mm.        M nm.
  • #83 by Karma on 30 May 2018
  • What did you tell us?
    He said Daulton Hyatt will be the Hogs starting QB this year.
  • #84 by onebadrubi on 31 May 2018
  • He said Daulton Hyatt will be the Hogs starting QB this year.

Norvell would be HC too

DEVIN white coming to Ark because he would Facebook chat with him
  • #85 by HognitiveDissonance on 31 May 2018
  • Correct. It is not a physical that detected it.

It is an echocardiogram, which is looking at the heart with an ultrasound. Most people, especially under 60, have probably never had one.
    As Fred Sanford would say, "Ain't nobody puttin' no electric cards on my heart!"
  • #86 by RealHog on 31 May 2018
  • I say... 5% chance he plays. Pity because he would have been a great player for us.
  • #87 by JIHawg on 31 May 2018
  • I say... 5% chance he plays. Pity because he would have been a great player for us.

Agree.
  • #88 by Letsroll1200 on 01 Jun 2018

Based on what?
  • #89 by Hawg Red on 01 Jun 2018
  • Based on what?

Probably based on him already having missed an entire season. Not saying that's an informed estimation, but missing a year and no substantial change to date (only a slight increase in activity to date) is a pretty big deal.
  • #90 by onebadrubi on 01 Jun 2018

Can someone tell me the actual different in 5% and 95%?  I mean there is a chance of both happening, and you are pretty much right either way...
  • #91 by Pig in the Pokey on 01 Jun 2018
  • #92 by RealHog on 01 Jun 2018
  • Based on what?

Donít know anything, just there is very little benefit to a professional with a career and malpractice insurance giving a thumbs up, much less several doctors, lawyers, admins, etc. Best case they tell him he can play ball on his own time, but officially for school I doubt they let him do much more than a layup line and shoot. Tough, feel bad for him.
  • #93 by JIHawg on 01 Jun 2018
  • This will not be an issue of who has better inside info. We will all find out at the same time from the same source. Approach it this way. Assume itís bad news unless we hear different.
  • #94 by rzrbackramsfan on 02 Jun 2018
  • This will not be an issue of who has better inside info. We will all find out at the same time from the same source. Approach it this way. Assume itís bad news unless we hear different.

Sorry I can't do it! 
  • #95 by JIHawg on 03 Jun 2018
  • Sorry I can't do it! 

There are two reasons to take this approach.  One, he hasn't had surgery or it hasn't been fixed.  One has to conclude it may be unfixable.

Two, it's been a year and a half.  If the problem was going to be fixed, it would have happened before now.  The prognosis is not good for a heart problem that has gone on for that long.
  • #96 by urkillnmesmalls on 04 Jun 2018
  • There are two reasons to take this approach.  One, he hasn't had surgery or it hasn't been fixed.  One has to conclude it may be unfixable.

Two, it's been a year and a half.  If the problem was going to be fixed, it would have happened before now.  The prognosis is not good for a heart problem that has gone on for that long.

I haven't ever seen the official diagnosis.  Was it an irregular beat, slowing under stress, arrhythmia?? 

I do know that arrhythmias can be transient, and there are medications that can be used to manage them.  If they are doing routine Holter monitor sessions on him to see if he's having any episodes, and none are showing up, then it's feasible that they will slowly increase physical activity and continue to monitor changes.  I have no idea if that's what he's dealing with, but I do know that's pretty common for the average citizen with similar conditions. 

I would be surprised if he's ever cleared to play, simply because of the potential for a horrible outcome.  What's sad is...he could very easily have an issue away from the UA, where there's no medical assistance available, and at that point he would likely have no chance of survival.  I just hope he takes it as serious as the Dr.'s are, if they deem that it could be a lethal issue. 

So sad to see someone's dreams dashed on something they have absolutely no control over.   
  • #97 by rude1 on 04 Jun 2018
  • You have to start being realistic, if he hasn't been cleared after the amount of time that has passed, you have to feel that it isn't going to happen. What other player has sat out this long then was medically cleared to play? Just too much on the line. Unless it is a slam dunk and there is ZERO risk of a fatal catastrophe, what physician in his right mind is going to be the one to put his signature on a document that says this kid can play?
  • #98 by DOGALUM on 04 Jun 2018
  • You have to start being realistic, if he hasn't been cleared after the amount of time that has passed, you have to feel that it isn't going to happen. What other player has sat out this long then was medically cleared to play? Just too much on the line. Unless it is a slam dunk and there is ZERO risk of a fatal catastrophe, what physician in his right mind is going to be the one to put his signature on a document that says this kid can play?
    one thatís a hard core Hog Fan baby!!!!
  • #99 by Karma on 05 Jun 2018
  • one thatís a hard core Hog Fan baby!!!!
    Hopefully that's sarcasm.
  • #100 by Psychohog on 05 Jun 2018
    Zero risk does not occur in medical practice
Pages:
Actions