Pages:
Actions
  • #51 by liljo on 21 May 2018
  • Here is an article that pretty well mirrors my feelings on the Great Arkansas Football Stadium...Debate...It is quite dated, but change a few names and it may as well have been written this morning.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/rex-nelson-arkansas-has-lost-something-that-can-never-be-recaptured/
  • #52 by Inhogswetrust on 21 May 2018
  • Here is the problem in a Houston Nuttshell... I see lots of "We's and They's" in that paragraph. We need more  Us's and less "We's" and less "They's". They's a gonna kill us...  No one can really give a legit reason for moving or for keeping games other than their personal preference. All of the hyperbole and "Dump" talk is just more bull$hit... Face fact's, If they expanded WMS to hold 150K, had a fiber-optic field turf put in, Solid gold toilets with platinum walls and chef Bobby Flay serving the meals on  fine china the people bitching about the Off campus BS would shut up... Real talk, Bama quit playing in Birmingham, and some of you feel that the rest of the SEC is making fun of your dinky. Grow up, BE ARKANSAS and quit giving a hunk of crap what anyone west of the Mississippi and south or west of Texarkana thinks. Every single argument against the games in Little Rock has a mirror argument pointing right back at it. NOW I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP...

A lot of people have given what they believe are ligit reasons on both sides. The issue becomes who decides what is or isn’t a ligit reason. 99.99% if not 100% of Hogville is not involved in that decision.
  • #53 by bphi11ips on 21 May 2018
  • If Jim Harris is the loud mouthed reporter who always asks the dumb questions with perfect a-hole tone, and your friend, I can understand your North Westerly tilted perception on the WMS subject. It's just another loud clamoring bird-call amidst the other bird-calls of the "Do what I want crowd" yelling at the other "Do what I want crowd" while they each try to be-spout the wisdom of their collective will. However, the anti WMS crowd has won the douchery award hands down in a landslide...

I, on the other hand would love to see someone with the opposing opinion get some print time on this site.

As a native Arkansan and lifelong Razorbacks fan and alum, it has been truly painful to watch the division created by the GSD.  The tone has been almost that of a civil war or a bad divorce.  It reminds me of this Jerry Clower story about Marcel Ledbetter, best coon hunter on earth:

One night Jerry and Marcel were out with their dogs when they treed a coon up a huge sycamore. Marcel, a firm believer in giving a coon a fighting chance, climbed the tree to shake the coon out. But it wasn't a coon, it was a bobcat, and it went after Marcel something terrible. The tree was a-shakin' and a-quiverin' from the battle. Marcel was getting torn up. Finally, desperate, he hollered down at Jerry, "Shoot, shoot, this thang is killin' me." Jerry hollered back, "I'm afraid to shoot, I might hit you". Marcel hollered back down, "Just shoot up here amongst us, one of us has got to have some relief."

Frank Parnell's Band-Aid analogy is one we've heard before, but it's a good one where the WMS contract is concerned.  What he doesn't say is that it's easier to remove a Band-Aid with a little water and baby oil. 

I don't remember when I first saw WMS referred to on Hogville as a "dump" or the crowd on the golf course as a bunch of camo wearing drunks.  What I do remember is that it hurt.  It felt a little like someone had called my house a dump and my family trash.  The worst thing was that it was fellow Razorbacks fans saying these things.  I couldn't believe it then and still can't.  But that's beside the point.

In 2008, Jeff Long extended the WMS contract from 2014 to 2016.  Two games per year, with one being an SEC game, was the deal.  In 20013, that agreement was amended to add two years through 2018, but the number of games per year was reduced from 2 to 1, with two SEC games required over the remaining term.  That's when things seemed to get ugly.  It might have been best to leave the 2016 end date alone and go out with an SEC game and a tribute to the great Razorbacks fans who made WMS what it was for almost 70 years.  The Band-Aid might have come off easily.  Instead, the worst thing that could happen is what did happen - Long gave Little Rock the bottom of the barrel games on the schedule while Bret Bielema threw WMS under the bus more than once and called it a road game.  It was a public relations nightmare, and it didn't have to be that way.

That is the situation Hunter Yuracheck found when he took over as AD.  Surely he recognized that something needs to be done to reassure generations of fans outside of NWA that they are just as important as everyone else.  It's not about where games are played.  It's the message, and he's done a great job so far of showing everyone that the culture has changed.

Personally, I believe the new deal at WMS is an experiment.  Or it could be water and baby oil.  Or both.  A Thanksgiving game against Missouri does make some sense, and it's a big game. More importantly, it gives Hunter Yurachek and Chad Morris some breathing room to reunite the fanbase.  Yes - winning is the most important thing, but the message is as well - we're all Razorbacks fans, and it takes all of us - the best instate players especially - to compete with the giants of college football we play every year.  By 2024, we can hope that everything is good, and it should be apparent to everyone which way the GSD should end - without drama and resentment.  No one needs to get shot just to find relief.   
  • #54 by DeltaBoy on 21 May 2018
  • I miss LSU in LR mainly cause LSU fans hated the place.
  • #55 by bphi11ips on 21 May 2018
  • I miss LSU in LR mainly cause LSU fans hated the place.

They hate anywhere they get beat.  They really hate it when it's cold and they get beat.  Hogs are 5-4 against LSU in Little Rock since joining the SEC, and 2-2 in Fayetteville.  LSU fans still talk about how cold it was in 1992 when Arkansas won 30-6 in Fayetteville. 
  • #56 by ricepig on 21 May 2018
  • They hate anywhere they get beat.  They really hate it when it's cold and they get beat.  Hogs are 5-4 against LSU in Little Rock since joining the SEC, and 2-2 in Fayetteville.  LSU fans still talk about how cold it was in 1992 when Arkansas won 30-6 in Fayetteville. 

If you remember the 2014 game, they were huddled up by their space heaters drinking hot chocolate(must be were the hot chocolate for upper deck went) and got that azz spanked.
  • #57 by TexasRazorback on 21 May 2018
  • We need to stop playing in Little Rock, The students dont travel down to LR for the game, the players dont want to play there, and it hurts our team to play a conference home game in a stadium that does not allow us a home field advantage (and yes I have been to many little rock games, there is a big difference between War Memorial and DWR) stop playing in little rock and have every home game in Fayetteville. This is better for the university and the team. We can still play a spring game in War Memorial for the fans and Little Rock people but we need to stop hurting our team by playing in Little Rock
  • #58 by hogsanity on 21 May 2018
  • the division created by the GSD. 

It's not about where games are played.  It's the message,

The division is created by those that most assuredly think it is about where the games are played, and that think it is their right to have the games brought to them.

People in parts of this state do not have to drive any farther the Fay than many Tn fans have to drive to Knoxville, Bama fans to Tuscaloosa, Ga fans to Athens, Vt fans to Blacksburg, WV fans to  Morgantown, BYU fans to Provo, or any other fans to anywhere else for that matter. Yet that is the reason always cited by man " It's just too far for Hog fans from ( insert any town South and/or East of LR ) to drive to see the Hogs. ". I guess Hog fans are incapable of dong what fans of every other BIG TIME, and most small time, schools do. Those fans go to the campus and watch the games. For some reason many Hog "fans" expect th team to be brought to them.
  • #59 by bphi11ips on 21 May 2018
  • The division is created by those that most assuredly think it is about where the games are played, and that think it is their right to have the games brought to them.

People in parts of this state do not have to drive any farther the Fay than many Tn fans have to drive to Knoxville, Bama fans to Tuscaloosa, Ga fans to Athens, Vt fans to Blacksburg, WV fans to  Morgantown, BYU fans to Provo, or any other fans to anywhere else for that matter. Yet that is the reason always cited by man " It's just too far for Hog fans from ( insert any town South and/or East of LR ) to drive to see the Hogs. ". I guess Hog fans are incapable of dong what fans of every other BIG TIME, and most small time, schools do. Those fans go to the campus and bywatch the games. For some reason many Hog "fans" expect th team to be brought to them.

You're wrong.  As usual. 

In fact, you are a perfect example of the problem. 
  • #60 by Jim Harris on 21 May 2018
  • If Jim Harris is the loud mouthed reporter who always asks the dumb questions with perfect a-hole tone, and your friend, I can understand your North Westerly tilted perception on the WMS subject. It's just another loud clamoring bird-call amidst the other bird-calls of the "Do what I want crowd" yelling at the other "Do what I want crowd" while they each try to be-spout the wisdom of their collective will. However, the anti WMS crowd has won the douchery award hands down in a landslide...

I, on the other hand would love to see someone with the opposing opinion get some print time on this site.

That would not be me asking those questions you are apparently hearing. I do know this writer well, however.
  • #61 by shown006 on 21 May 2018
  • Hog fans don't support the Razorbacks no matter where they play?  I'm shocked!

• #62 by LRrazorback on 21 May 2018

• You tell them no more tailgating on golf course and game will go away tomorrow.

But that's part of the fun at any stadium and why a lot of people enjoy going
  • #63 by phadedhawg on 21 May 2018
  • I don't understand the hate on War Memorial Stadium.  It is smaller than normal stadiums.  In all other sports and arenas that has become a good thing.  Cameron Indoor Stadium holds 9,000.  Most people on here still reminisce about the good ole days of Barnhill arena and the saw dust floor.  War Memorial Stadium is loud.  The fans are right on top of the players. 

I do think there is something to be said for this point.  Arkansas built BWA during the peak of college basketball in the 90's (not just our peak the game was a lot more popular).  Since then, hardly anyone is building 20k arenas, excuse me 19k arenas.  Those days are over.  We should remodel ours and take about 7k seats out.  That's the only way you will create atmosphere with dwindling attendance. 

Will the same forces someday affect college football?  Hard to say but is Arkansas a successful enough program to fill up a 72k-76k-whateverK stadium?  Nope, and rarely are we.  That's why the remodel adding money seats instead of capacity seating was the best idea.  55k is probably closer to the diehard fan support.  If we had a 55k stadium in NW Arkansas, we'd have more sellouts (not just games where all the tix are sold, but where the fans come into the stadium and fill it up).

I understand NW Arkansas desire to play in their empty football palace...the food is better and there's room to spread out.  LR, when not given a high school team opponent is cramped and the fans are annoyingly loud. 
  • #64 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 21 May 2018
  • The division is created by those that most assuredly think it is about where the games are played, and that think it is their right to have the games brought to them.

People in parts of this state do not have to drive any farther the Fay than many Tn fans have to drive to Knoxville, Bama fans to Tuscaloosa, Ga fans to Athens, Vt fans to Blacksburg, WV fans to  Morgantown, BYU fans to Provo, or any other fans to anywhere else for that matter. Yet that is the reason always cited by man " It's just too far for Hog fans from ( insert any town South and/or East of LR ) to drive to see the Hogs. ". I guess Hog fans are incapable of dong what fans of every other BIG TIME, and most small time, schools do. Those fans go to the campus and watch the games. For some reason many Hog "fans" expect th team to be brought to them.

It's the fact that people way up there in Fayetteville act as if everyone else is being selfish while they are clamoring for their way...
  • #65 by scaldedhog on 21 May 2018
  • If we can tell the difference between the fireworks and gunshots we’ll be fine.
  • #66 by Deep Shoat on 22 May 2018
  • Here is what everyone is missing.  We want a wall around our state so only our best prospects sign.  Drive across our state.  East to west is 3+ hours.  North to South is nearly 6 hours.

How can a school in the NW corner of the state dominate in state recruiting?  Arkansas is
    53k sq. miles and the 29th largest state, a sizeable chunk of land larger than NC.

You must become the only program that matters in state.  I can think of one program in particular, that falls into a problematic catagory.  Think Warren, the Lumberjacks are way closer to ASU than the UA.  When a kid from Warren or the surrounding area, which is extremely poor so NWA might be budget stretch for his family to go to a game, where can they go?  Little Rock is not only the capital city, is central to every location in AR.

So that kid attends game(s) in LR, grows up, starts playing football, and becomes the next NFL talent out of that rich Warren tradition.  If he grew up seeing a game/games at WMS and sees himself a Razorback, then that should be why WMS is so important to the state.  Our biggest resource the state can provide is homegrown talent that live, eat, breathe, and bleed Razorback red.
    I bet his family manages to afford cigarettes, beer, and scratch-offs down at the EZ Mart.

It costs the football program MILLIONS to play in WMS. 

This is another one of those debates that proves most of you aren't Hog fans.  You are "Me" fans who use the Hogs as your object of obsession. 

Hog fans want what's best for the Razorbacks.
  • #67 by Deep Shoat on 22 May 2018
  • SERIOUSLY???

People like you are why kids want to flee the state in droves.  Go back to worshipping Alex Jones and Trump.  You are being overtly racist with statements like that.
    Good grief Nancy.  Nothing racist at ALL in my statement.  The same is true in every poor community in the country.  People buy cigarettes, booze, and scratch offs like crazy, but don’t pay their bills.

Laziness and blame-shifting are colorblind.  It’s you lady-parts who see race in everything who are the actual racists. 

I would have said the exact same thing if your example had been Ozark or Booneville.
  • #68 by Deep Shoat on 22 May 2018
  • And I don’t even know who Alex Jones is. 

As for Trump, at least he isn’t Hillary is all I’ve got to say.
  • #69 by NaturalStateReb on 22 May 2018
  • Jerry isn’t an Aggie. They do what they want not what Jerry wants. He would have to be willing to make it more worthwhile for them than playing a game in the new Kyle Field. That doesn’t take into,effect all the season ticket holders down there and the Aggies aren’t all exactly cowboy fans anyway.

Or the economic impact of a home game.  Jerry's rich, but the economic impact of a home game is pretty incredible.
  • #70 by bphi11ips on 22 May 2018
  • Here is what everyone is missing.  We want a wall around our state so only our best prospects sign.  Drive across our state.  East to west is 3+ hours.  North to South is nearly 6 hours.

How can a school in the NW corner of the state dominate in state recruiting?  Arkansas is
    53k sq. miles and the 29th largest state, a sizeable chunk of land larger than NC.

You must become the only program that matters in state.  I can think of one program in particular, that falls into a problematic catagory.  Think Warren, the Lumberjacks are way closer to ASU than the UA.  When a kid from Warren or the surrounding area, which is extremely poor so NWA might be budget stretch for his family to go to a game, where can they go?  Little Rock is not only the capital city, is central to every location in AR.

So that kid attends game(s) in LR, grows up, starts playing football, and becomes the next NFL talent out of that rich Warren tradition.  If he grew up seeing a game/games at WMS and sees himself a Razorback, then that should be why WMS is so important to the state.  Our biggest resource the state can provide is homegrown talent that live, eat, breathe, and bleed Razorback red.

This is why continuing the game presence in Little Rock is a strategy, not a tradition.  It's difficult to describe the emotional response of an 8-year-old (pick another young age if you like) to a sea of red calling the Hogs in a game like LSU in 2002 or 2006 or 2010.  It is that experience that imprints lifelong loyalty, especially when "Arkansas" is the name after your city or town and in front of the Razorbacks.  It's that experience that generates anticipation about the day when you'll go to school in Fayetteville yourself.  Television is not a substitute for that imprinting experience. 

Warren has been a hotbed for talent for a long time and is a good example to illustrate your point.  It's 4 hours and 15 minutes from Warren to Fayetteville.  That's only 45 minutes closer to Jonesboro than it is to Fayetteville .  Also, we aren't competing with ASU for players.  But we are competing with Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, TCU, SMU, Baylor, etc.  It's only 45 minutes longer to Baton Rouge from Warren than it is to Fayetteville.  Same with Dallas.  Oxford is 15 minutes closer to Warren than Fayetteville.  Starkville is 10 minutes closer.  Little Rock is an hour and a half from Warren.   

People can disagree with whether games should be played in Little Rock for any number of good reasons.  It's hard to deny that proximity to the majority of Arkansas's population and fertile recruiting grounds is not a factor in favor of a Little Rock game.  Joe Steinmetz was especially clear about that:

“A big part of our mission as a university is to make lives better for Arkansans. That means a lot of things including recruiting students from every part of our state, providing transformational opportunities, solving problems through research and discovery, and contributing service through collaboration. But it also means engaging the entire state. The Arkansas Razorbacks are a tremendous source of pride for the University of Arkansas and the state, and will always be a big part of that engagement."

• #71 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • I bet his family manages to afford cigarettes, beer, and scratch-offs down at the EZ Mart.

This is another one of those debates that proves most of you aren't Hog fans.  You are "Me" fans who use the Hogs as your object of obsession. 

I imagine that your mom goes to town on your dad with a tire iron for kicks and giggles, but it doesn't make it a fact you arrogant prejudiced freakazoid... Besides the program isn't exactly strapped for cash... Point of fact, if even one player chooses Arkansas because they play a game or two in Little Rock it is one of THE ONLY legal ways of buying their allegiance. On the other hand, I don't know of any players who are going to turn down Arkansas because a game IS being played in Little Rock...

You guys keep looking down your noses at the rest of the state long enough and you'll find yourselves alone up there with the poor huddled masses making their own way right into your face with a middle finger. They will sit around and laugh at the Vandy of the west while they send their kids to Ole Miss, LSU or MSU. Remember it wasn't the Ice Age when a certain boy from Fordyce went to Bama because the goat college in the mountains could barely spell football. Whether they leave because of arrogance for or against you they still leave. Why not hold out an Olive Branch instead of your middle finger?

Funny Fact about Fordyce... "Fordyce spots are small raised bumps that appear on the shaft of the [CENSORED], the labia, scrotum, or next to the lips. ."
  • #72 by bphi11ips on 22 May 2018
  • I bet his family manages to afford cigarettes, beer, and scratch-offs down at the EZ Mart.

You've been pounded for this already, but it is an incredibly prejudiced statement.  Prejudice can be colorblind as well.  Have you ever been to Warren?  You might be surprised.

Before you post something like that, you may want to ask yourself if you'd want someone like Treylon Burks to see it. 
  • #73 by nwahogfan1 on 22 May 2018
  • The fans get to decide. If enough tickets are sold the show goes on. If not, it will end.

If you believe the best thing for the program long term is to pull out of MWS, don't buy tickets to the game.

With such a pitiful fan support at the spring game I am not so sure its the LR fans but its trying to keep the big money boosters happy.
  • #74 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • With such a pitiful fan support at the spring game I am not so sure its the LR fans but its trying to keep the big money boosters happy.
    That was an aberration due to the weather and you know it...
  • #75 by bphi11ips on 22 May 2018
  • With such a pitiful fan support at the spring game I am not so sure its the LR fans but its trying to keep the big money boosters happy.

You have no idea how cold it was that day unless you were there yourself.
  • #76 by hogsanity on 22 May 2018
  • SERIOUSLY???

People like you are why kids want to flee the state in droves. 

Actually kids flee the state in droves because Arkansas, with a few exceptions, is stuck in 1938. Yea, it's cheap to live here, which also means it is cheap to employ people here. If you don't hunt or fish, there is not a lot to do either.

As for the comments about beer and scratch offs, I can tell you he is right. I vividly remember going to a home to hook up their cable tv, and at the same time the water dept was there turning off their service for non-pay, This family had 3 little kids and no running water because they would not pay the bill, but they had tv, and both mom and dad were smoking like chimneys and they had a couple 24 packs on the floor by the fridge.

And for those who keep pointing out the distance some people in the state have to go to get to Fay, as pointed out any times, some fans of all teams have to travel to get to the campus. Its 3.5 hrs from Mobile to Tuscaloosa, almost 4 from Dothan, same for Huntsville. I guess Bama never gets recruits from those areas.

Look, if you like LR games because they are closer to you than Fay, just come out and say it. Don't try to hide it behind recruiting, or fan unity or other things ( all of which are subjective opinion at best ). The recruiting thing has been shown to be a false idea, as it is the same as it was when we played 4 games a yr in lr. Lr area recruiting is down because not as many of the good athletes in that area are playing FB, and that has noting to do with game in WMS.
  • #77 by Pig in the Pokey on 22 May 2018
  • You've been pounded for this already, but it is an incredibly prejudiced statement.  Prejudice can be colorblind as well.  Have you ever been to Warren?  You might be surprised.

Before you post something like that, you may want to ask yourself if you'd want someone like Treylon Burks to see it.
    dont worry about that. Burks couldnt care less. no way he is on hogville. he does him.

any other kid, tho, your point is still true. i just had to throw that in there.
  • #78 by hogsanity on 22 May 2018
  • Just because a sterotype occasionally fits doesn't make it right to use that stereotype.  This is what we do to each other to dehumanize those with which we don't agree.  Our current political landscape is my primary example.  Without moderates there is no compromise or middle ground and things will always be antagonsistic. Nothing will be accomplished, except, hate and disdain for those we dehumanize, creating a viscous cycle that is nearly impossible to break.

But in the context of this discussion, it is valid to point out that many of the same people that complain about the cost of going to Fay for a game vs the cost of going to LR ( and make no mistake the difference can be a large sum of $ depending on game time ) are spending a whole lot each week on smokes and beer and scratch offs. 
  • #79 by ricepig on 22 May 2018
  • But in the context of this discussion, it is valid to point out that many of the same people that complain about the cost of going to Fay for a game vs the cost of going to LR ( and make no mistake the difference can be a large sum of $ depending on game time ) are spending a whole lot each week on smokes and beer and scratch offs. 

Do you have a break down of what they are spending, any facts to back this up?
  • #80 by Deep Shoat on 22 May 2018
  • You've been pounded for this already, but it is an incredibly prejudiced statement.  Prejudice can be colorblind as well.  Have you ever been to Warren?  You might be surprised.

All of you are idiots if you think this is pointed at any one race.

People all over our state, from every race and creed, waste their God given potential on meth, cigarettes, weed, booze, scratch-offs, divorce, bad decision piled up on bad decision.  Not playing games at WMS isn’t why We have problems keeping our kids in state.  Neither is NWA’s arrogance. 

The reason we can’t keep kids in state is because only Mississippi ranks behind Arkansas in opportunity.

They want to go where they have a chance.  At least the ones whose parents haven’t already pissed away their kids chances on their own failures.

If s the same problem this thread is revealing.  Most people are entitled jackholes who think they are owed an easy path.  Get a job, work things out with your wife, stop wasting your pay check on useless crap, stop waiting to win the lottery and begging for handouts from the government, and drive your ass to Fayetteville, where the University of Arkansas plays their football games.
  • #81 by Atlhogfan1 on 22 May 2018
  • As a native Arkansan and lifelong Razorbacks fan and alum,

Surely he recognized that something needs to be done to reassure generations of fans outside of NWA that they are just as important as everyone else.  It's not about where games are played.  It's the message, and he's done a great job so far of showing everyone that the culture has changed.

Native Arkansan and lifelong Razorbacks fan and alum who lives far from NWA.  I don't need reassuring about anything related to the Hogs or my fandom.  This is dumb.  You want us to not be divided yet perpetuate the division with your LR vs NWA commentary.  We get it.  You sold cokes in WMS when you were a kid and grew up in LR.  It's personal for you.  You've gotten your feelings hurt like some others and have built misguided resentment over this issue towards NWA.  Pathetic. 

Yurachek is a puppet.  He hasn't done darn but do what he is told.  Our new coach has even less of a voice.  What they say about WMS or anything else holds no weight.

Here is what everyone is missing.  We want a wall around our state so only our best prospects sign.  Drive across our state.  East to west is 3+ hours.  North to South is nearly 6 hours.

Yes.  We've missed this part of the debate. ::)

The flagship university in the best conference in college football will continue to dominate the state in recruiting when compared to the other in state programs.  Major college recruits aren't going to choose the Sun Belt with maybe a rare exception.  And players will occasionally leave the state as well.  Always have and always will no matter where the Hogs play. 

This is why continuing the game presence in Little Rock is a strategy, not a tradition.  It's difficult to describe the emotional response of an 8-year-old (pick another young age if you like) to a sea of red calling the Hogs in a game like LSU in 2002 or 2006 or 2010.  It is that experience that imprints lifelong loyalty, especially when "Arkansas" is the name after your city or town and in front of the Razorbacks.  It's that experience that generates anticipation about the day when you'll go to school in Fayetteville yourself.  Television is not a substitute for that imprinting experience. 

Warren has been a hotbed for talent for a long time and is a good example to illustrate your point.  It's 4 hours and 15 minutes from Warren to Fayetteville.  That's only 45 minutes closer to Jonesboro than it is to Fayetteville .  Also, we aren't competing with ASU for players.  But we are competing with Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, TCU, SMU, Baylor, etc.  It's only 45 minutes longer to Baton Rouge from Warren than it is to Fayetteville.  Same with Dallas.  Oxford is 15 minutes closer to Warren than Fayetteville.  Starkville is 10 minutes closer.  Little Rock is an hour and a half from Warren.   

People can disagree with whether games should be played in Little Rock for any number of good reasons.  It's hard to deny that proximity to the majority of Arkansas's population and fertile recruiting grounds is not a factor in favor of a Little Rock game.  Joe Steinmetz was especially clear about that:

“A big part of our mission as a university is to make lives better for Arkansans. That means a lot of things including recruiting students from every part of our state, providing transformational opportunities, solving problems through research and discovery, and contributing service through collaboration. But it also means engaging the entire state. The Arkansas Razorbacks are a tremendous source of pride for the University of Arkansas and the state, and will always be a big part of that engagement."

So it's a strategy to play one game in WMS every other year and the players' other 25 or so home games over their careers will be on campus where they will also live for 4-5 years?  Reach. 

Fertile recruiting grounds lol.  Arkansas? 
  • #82 by Atlhogfan1 on 22 May 2018
  • All of you are idiots if you think this is pointed at any one race.

People all over our state, from every race and creed, waste their God given potential on meth, cigarettes, weed, booze, scratch-offs, divorce, bad decision piled up on bad decision.  Not playing games at WMS isn’t why We have problems keeping our kids in state.  Neither is NWA’s arrogance. 

The reason we can’t keep kids in state is because only Mississippi ranks behind Arkansas in opportunity.

They want to go where they have a chance.  At least the ones whose parents haven’t already pissed away their kids chances on their own failures.

If s the same problem this thread is revealing.  Most people are entitled jackholes who think they are owed an easy path.  Get a job, work things out with your wife, stop wasting your pay check on useless crap, stop waiting to win the lottery and begging for handouts from the government, and drive your ass to Fayetteville, where the University of Arkansas plays their football games.

Harsh.  But some truth. 
  • #83 by RyanMallettsEgo on 22 May 2018
  • Atlhog, thank you for keeping it on point, until you spout off about truth.  Truth is some delusion we grasp at to give us a sense of righteousness, another made up concept.  Does anyone here really think my truth matters once I am dust?  It doesn't even matter at this very moment to anyone other than me.  We all will be extinct in a mere fraction of the existence of this universe.  My entire perception of existence is a lie my brain tells me to keep me sane.

Thanks, Friedrich.
  • #84 by J-Five on 22 May 2018
  • Born and raised in Fort Smith, Little Rock resident for the past 12 years.  I get both sides of this debate.  I've been to FAR more games in Fayetteville, than I have right down the street at War Memorial.  What I'll say about Fayetteville is the atmosphere is just not the same.  Tailgating in Little Rock is LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of Fayetteville's.  If Fayetteville had a game day atmosphere like Little Rock's, I'd say take all the games and move them to Fayetteville.  War Memorial's atmosphere is electric when the stadium is full.  Yes, it's old, yes it needs renovations, and those renovations will be made.  If not, then WMS doesn't deserve to have the Hogs play there.  I just hate all the division that this situation conjures up.  Fans sound like brother/sister fighting with each other...
  • #85 by Inhogswetrust on 22 May 2018
  • You're wrong.  As usual. 

In fact, you are a perfect example of the problem. 

He was dead on about those other schools and some of their  fans having to travel a long ways to campus to see their favorite team play. Especially VT and WV. They are both tucked in a corner of their respective states just like the UA is in Fayetteville.
  • #86 by hawkhawg on 22 May 2018
  • I think that War Memorial is the Inspiration.
  • #87 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • But in the context of this discussion, it is valid to point out that many of the same people that complain about the cost of going to Fay for a game vs the cost of going to LR ( and make no mistake the difference can be a large sum of $ depending on game time ) are spending a whole lot each week on smokes and beer and scratch offs. 
    No it's not. It's an absolute figment of imagination. You simply cannot with ANY certainty make that statement about someone. There are all kinds of people in this world. Your (understood YOU) imagination doesn't make anything a fact. The intent of that statement was inflammatory and only made to troll. It worked too, but don't be a fool and think that everyone is like that, or even very many people. Most people in the debtor files of a collection agency are like that, but most people in Arkansas and outside of the NWA area are NOT debtors on the collection agency list...
  • #88 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • All of you are idiots if you think this is pointed at any one race.

And you're an idiot if you think anyone gives a hunk of crap what race you're referring to, if any, with your dumbassery... Read my last post and grow up if you can...
  • #89 by DLUXHOG on 22 May 2018
  • #90 by bphi11ips on 22 May 2018

How do you know that?
  • #91 by hogsanity on 22 May 2018
  • No it's not. It's an absolute figment of imagination. You simply cannot with ANY certainty make that statement about someone. There are all kinds of people in this world. Your (understood YOU) imagination doesn't make anything a fact. The intent of that statement was inflammatory and only made to troll. It worked too, but don't be a fool and think that everyone is like that, or even very many people. Most people in the debtor files of a collection agency are like that, but most people in Arkansas and outside of the NWA area are NOT debtors on the collection agency list...

over half of all lottery tickets are bought by the poorest 1/3 of households according to a study in the Atlantic. that is nationwide, not just in AR.
  • #92 by ricepig on 22 May 2018
  • over half of all lottery tickets are bought by the poorest 1/3 of households according to a study in the Atlantic. that is nationwide, not just in AR.

And these people are posting on HV and complaining about pricing?
  • #93 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • over half of all lottery tickets are bought by the poorest 1/3 of households according to a study in the Atlantic. that is nationwide, not just in AR.

There was more to the statement than lottery tickets my friend, and you're defending probably one of the most cockish statements put out there in a long time by the way... I'm just sayin'...
  • #94 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • Because....Some “fans” are simply selfish and greedy for power.....

https://www.seccountry.com/pwa/arkansas/arkansas/article/arkansas-war-memorial-stadium-bad-decision

Yes, and they don't want any home games played outside of their new football palace...
  • #95 by cmphill87 on 22 May 2018
  • Born and raised in Fort Smith, Little Rock resident for the past 12 years.  I get both sides of this debate.  I've been to FAR more games in Fayetteville, than I have right down the street at War Memorial.  What I'll say about Fayetteville is the atmosphere is just not the same.  Tailgating in Little Rock is LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of Fayetteville's.  If Fayetteville had a game day atmosphere like Little Rock's, I'd say take all the games and move them to Fayetteville.  War Memorial's atmosphere is electric when the stadium is full.  Yes, it's old, yes it needs renovations, and those renovations will be made.  If not, then WMS doesn't deserve to have the Hogs play there.  I just hate all the division that this situation conjures up.  Fans sound like brother/sister fighting with each other...

Agree here, well said.

I'd add personally; I grew up near Hope and my grandfather (Benton resident) took me to my first Razorback game as a toddler to WMS. I was a both Miracle on Markhams and got to witness the bulk of HDNs great record in the stadium. It was awesome! Tailgating was awesome! BUT...there is a BUT, my high-school played Shiloh Christian in the 2006 state title game, and I got to go into the locker rooms. I had graduated 2 years before and let me tell you they weren't up to par with a 3A schools locker rooms let alone an SEC program. Currently, I live in South Florida in my cousin in law is Wesley Carroll who some of you may know as Mississippi States QB during the end of the Sylvester Croom days. He thought WMS was an absolute joke as a visitor but couldn't deny the atmosphere. Just sharing the perspective.

Bo Mattingly/Mike Irwin also brought up a great point the other day. Where is the money coming from to get the stadium to a minimum standard for 3 games? Is it wise to spend 3.3 million per game hypothetically? (10 million divided by 3 games) It just doesnt seem like a good decision.

My take on the 6 year agreement is: Since the SEC killed the LSU rivalry, the atmosphere of WMS went with it.It hasn't been the same since. Since then, the agreement was 1 game per year, now its every other year. Its time to cut the cord once and for all. It saddens me to say that with the history I personally have, but I love my Hogs and they deserve the best facilities and opportunities regardless of my feelings. This has spiraled into a NWA vs Everyone else argument and that's just silly. Lets all support our common team as a unified State for the betterment of the program! Anything less will be futile.
  • #96 by cmphill87 on 22 May 2018
  • Yes, and they don't want any home games played outside of their new football palace...

So what? They are spending tons money to compete with the rest of the conference. Shouldn't they have the opportunity to play more than 2 games there in off years?
  • #97 by parallaxpig on 22 May 2018

• #98 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • So what? They are spending tons money to compete with the rest of the conference. Shouldn't they have the opportunity to play more than 2 games there in off years?
    Meh... Not really. There's no legit argument for either side in all honesty. It comes down to one faction of people wanting all of the games in Fayetteville FOR PRIDES SAKE, and one faction wanting to keep games in Little Rock FOR TRADITION'S SAKE...
      BUT I will give you props for keeping the discussion real, and not resorting to the name calling of WMS and your fellow Arkansan's, as has been the practice of some.
     Where I see the major disconnect is in the belief espoused, by JFB and other people influential in the building of the program that the Arkansas Razorbacks belong to THE ENTIRE STATE of Arkansas, and the ungratefulness for WMS and the lower half of the state by a carpetbagging, money grubbing AD and the last head coach of that said belief and tradition. Use all of the lies you want about Money, students etc... The fact is that WMS built the program, not the other way around, and WMS would NOT still be toting the status quo from 1977 if the previous regime had not fought tooth and nail to take the last vestiges of games from the area. There is enough money, and people in this state to add 30% more seats to WMS and update it exponentially IF the program will embrace the tradition that built it. We can choose to be like other programs or we can choose to be unique. I don't believe we have what it takes to copy other programs and make this thing work, but I personally believe that we can build a brand that carries the entire state on it's back if we show just a smidgen of gratitude and humility toward a venue that practically carried the teams of HDN with one helluva winning streak that was lauded by all. How many times have you heard someone refer to a game in Little Rock as "The Loudest Football Game I've Ever Been A Part Of"? I can think of 4 head coaches off of the top of my head, and one of them had the benefit of coaching Arkansas in that venue and knew ahead of time what he was getting his team into when they got off of the plane.
  • #99 by Kevin on 22 May 2018
  • Little Rock people want the game for pride and money.  No other reason. Playing their does not help the program.

It is that simple
  • #100 by OneTuskOverTheLine™ on 22 May 2018
  • Little Rock people want the game for pride and money.  No other reason. Playing their does not help the program.

It is that simple

Little Rock and the rest of the state built that program. Period... Now with SEC money and TV contracts the UofA doesn't need Little Rock. It's THAT simple.
     I, for one, believe that the program owes it to the state to keep that venue up and running and to bring events yearly that will bring visitors to that area of the state when it's so desperately needed. Little Rock NEEDS the Razorbacks now, and the Razorbacks should return the favor. It would be a no brainer if I were in charge. Lindsey and the rest of you would just have to deal with it or fire me, because I wouldn't budge for anything.
     Do The Razorbacks want to be "IT" in Arkansas or not? I believe we all want that. Why does your pride and arrogance count more than mine?
Pages:
Actions