• 9,880,882 Posts
• 398,149 Topics
• 22,800 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: War Memorial is Nothing More Than a Hard Habit to Break  (Read 4517 times)

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: War Memorial is Nothing More Than a Hard Habit to Break
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2018, 01:19:22 pm »

I just find it funny folks are fussing so much about this when it just shows that Central Ark got more money pull than anybody believed.  I was stunned by the announcement.

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2018, 01:22:55 pm »

I just find it funny folks are fussing so much about this when it just shows that Central Ark got more money pull than anybody believed.  I was stunned by the announcement.
I also find it very funny.  Amazing how hurt some are over this. Babies.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2018, 01:24:12 pm »

If you took the central and south AR fans out of RRS, it would be a very sad looking place.

flynhog

« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2018, 01:35:30 pm »

I think it's fantastic that the Hogs still play in WMS, And I would rather attend the game in LR.  Am I going to be butt-hurt if all games move up to the hill?  No.

I am a Razorback fan first and foremost. 

ricepig

« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2018, 01:38:02 pm »

If you took the central and south AR fans out of RRS, it would be a very sad looking place.

No different than it you took the NWA fans out of WMS.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/111517razorbackwarmemorial/#34

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2018, 05:16:19 am »

I live in north Carolina.

so it is not about region of the state. it is about what is best for the program. and has been stated many times, there is no reasonable reason to play in little rock.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2018, 05:18:19 am »

Because we've raked in the 5* and 4* recruits over the years solely because of the spring game at DWRRS, right?

take away a day when we can host up to 100 kids, parents & hs coaches, and see how recruiting is effected.

Jimbob111

« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2018, 10:22:48 pm »

I don't understand the hate on War Memorial Stadium.  It is smaller than normal stadiums.  In all other sports and arenas that has become a good thing.  Cameron Indoor Stadium holds 9,000.  Most people on here still reminisce about the good ole days of Barnhill arena and the saw dust floor.  War Memorial Stadium is loud.  The fans are right on top of the players. 

It doesn't have the best video scoreboard. - watch the players on the field
It doesn't have great wifi. - watch the game
It doesn't have the best big comfy locker rooms.  I thought these were football players.
It has old tight metal bleachers!

The field is still the same size as the field in Fayetteville, right?
If we the fans embraced the arena as a home field advantage, packed the house, stood shoulder to shoulder in front of those metal bleachers and yelled for the hogs, the games would be fun again.

I know some of you would rather have your quail sliders on pretzel buns served with truffle fries and a craft beer.  That is not War Memorial.  Get a pop corn and some crappy hot chocolate, or a $4 coke in a bottle from the boy scout walking the steps.  Get close with your neighbor and shake the walls yelling "ARKANSAS" from the West side or reply "RAZORBACKS" from the East.  Watch while a bunch of drunks try to get the wave going if we are up by 14 in the 4th quarter.

This is a football game we are going to watch.  Be a football fan, embrace smaller environment, pack the house and root those hogs to victory. 

Quit whining.

Leather helmets are still helmets, right? Come on, lower capacity is only a tiny part of the problem. The stadium is a relic of the past, looked fondly on for what it once was rather than for what it is.

For the team, it has the same effect as an away game except you don't have to stay in a hotel or fly. In modern times, there is no need for games to be played there to unite the state by in-state players being able to play in front of family and friends because LR doesn't send nearly as much football talent to Fayetteville as it used to.

I don't have a dog in the fight either way but I get tired of the excuses for playing there. It's a relic of the past. Rather than a bitter, fight-to-the-end mentality, Hog fans should remember it fondly as they let it go.  It has become an outdoor, tailgating festival with fewer and fewer actually going into the game. The glory is gone.  WMS is like a once-great fighter who tries to make a come back. Remember the glory and move on.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2018, 05:25:14 am »

Football should be played on grass.

oldhawg

« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2018, 06:59:54 am »

An old survey (2012).  How unique it is for Arkansas to be playing home games at WMS?

http://www.footballgeography.com/list-of-fbs-stadiums-sorted-by-distance-to-the-campus/

Even Massachusetts whose home games were 68 miles from campus was a temporary happening pending renovation of their on-campus stadium.

The question is:
Is this unique situation one that Arkansas (University and fans) should laud as a tradition worth maintaining, and build on the positives of playing in Little Rock once a year,

or

Is it time to end the tradition and move on to exclusively on-campus home games?

Interestingly, there has been an uptick in recent years of teams playing one game a year at neutral sites.

I have to admit that personally, my thoughts and feelings about playing an annual game in WMS are ambivalent, and ultimately I will be satisfied with what the PTB decide.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:16 am »

An old survey (2012).  How unique it is for Arkansas to be playing home games at WMS?

http://www.footballgeography.com/list-of-fbs-stadiums-sorted-by-distance-to-the-campus/

Even Massachusetts whose home games were 68 miles from campus was a temporary happening pending renovation of their on-campus stadium.

The question is:
Is this unique situation one that Arkansas (University and fans) should laud as a tradition worth maintaining, and build on the positives of playing in Little Rock once a year,

or

Is it time to end the tradition and move on to exclusively on-campus home games?

Interestingly, there has been an uptick in recent years of teams playing one game a year at neutral sites.

I have to admit that personally, my thoughts and feelings about playing an annual game in WMS are ambivalent, and ultimately I will be satisfied with what the PTB decide.

The list is for the respective schools regular home games and not a once or twice a year deal. Interesting to note only five of them were double digits distance from campus. And also since UMass was a temporary deal during renovation of their on campus stadium then actually only four of them were that far away from campus.

PorkSoda

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2018, 09:03:15 pm »

Football should be played on grass.
actually it should be played on sand.  think of what the 40 times would look like then.  should cut down on some of those high speed collisions on kick offs, too.

Captain Hogthrob

« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2018, 12:27:54 pm »

Tastes Great!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas