• 395,370 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: War Memorial is Nothing More Than a Hard Habit to Break  (Read 3953 times)

SportsLife

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
War Memorial is Nothing More Than a Hard Habit to Break
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:57:25 am »

Why is this WMS debate still going on and when will it stop?

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/hogs-habits-are-hard-to-break/

Hawgey-Davidson

Re: War Memorial is Nothing More Than a Hard Habit to Break
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »

Link is blank for me. ???

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:08:16 pm »

The fans get to decide. If enough tickets are sold the show goes on. If not, it will end.

If you believe the best thing for the program long term is to pull out of MWS, don't buy tickets to the game.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:13:18 pm »

The fans get to decide. If enough tickets are sold the show goes on. If not, it will end.

If you believe the best thing for the program long term is to pull out of MWS, don't buy tickets to the game.

What’s the odds the city of Little Rock buys what ever is needed if their not gonna make the 47,000 sold.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:14:52 pm »

You tell them no more tailgating on golf course and game will go away tomorrow.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 12:17:42 pm »

If they played an opponent good enough to fill WMS then that same opponent would draw 20,000 or more to RRS. Thus the debate would go on. The only way the debate stops is to play all the games in RRS and wait a few generations so the fans that remember WMS games all die.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:20:48 pm »

Yep. Problem is it is owned by the city of LR and the same PTB’s and politicians that caused this deal are the same ones that would nuke that deal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:01:15 am by Inhogswetrust »

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:26:39 pm »

If they played an opponent that is good enough to fill WMS then that same opponent would draw 20,000 or more to RRS. Thus the debate would go on. The only way the debate stops is to play all the games in RRS and wait a few generations so the fans that remember WMS games all die.
In part true, however, how many games of ANY type/opponent have been sold out a DWRRS over the past four or five years? Some, however, their have certainly NOT been every game sellouts year after year. As I've said several times elsewhere win more consistently and it's amazing (but not really) how the number of tickets that are sold as well as folks actually showing up can increase exponentially. There are a TON of programs both within the SEC and outside that sell out each and every game. When the Hogs can become more consistently competitive then I suspect much of any attendance issues will be released as well.

ricepig

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:32 pm »

In part true, however, how many games of ANY type/opponent have been sold out a DWRRS over the past four or five years? Some, however, their have certainly NOT been every game sellouts year after year. As I've said several times elsewhere win more consistently and it's amazing (but not really) how the number of tickets that are sold as well as folks actually showing up can increase exponentially. There are a TON of programs both within the SEC and outside that sell out each and every game. When the Hogs can become more consistently competitive then I suspect much of any attendance issues will be released as well.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/razorbacks-announce-sellout-for-arkansas-lsu

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/sep/12/arkansas-nearing-sellout-texas-state-game/

Augustus

• Hogs fan, and I don't do bandwagon.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 12:40:56 pm »

Pro tip:  Don't take a car out on that cart path of the golf course to park for tailgating, unless you want to leave your oil pan behind.  When we went for the Spring Game, it was in horrible shape. 

To put into context, the golf course is in the same shape as the stadium.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 12:42:12 pm »

Sell outs are not the same as attendance although some places inflate attendance by using tickets sold as the number. And no there are not “tons”of programs that sell out each and every game. There isnt any that consistently has full attendance every game. Even places like Bama doesn’t always have full attendance.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 03:21:22 pm »

What’s the odds the city of Little Rock buys what ever is needed if their not gonna make the 47,000 sold.
right? 47k is such a shamefully low metric to use.

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 03:22:40 pm »

When Arkansas gets good again, the debate will die off. It only flared back up dramatically because Arkansas was a bad team in the past 5 years and somehow people placed blame on WMS, like they weren't 32-4 in the Nutt and Petrino era, defeating some really good LSU teams.

You already see hog fans wanting out of Dallas because Texas A&M is now an annual loss. In the previous years before A&M joined the SEC, there was no problem at all playing in Dallas when Arkansas was winning. Now that TAMU has shown them up the past  4 years, they want out.

It's simply a fairweathered situation honestly. We do have a ton of fairweathered fans.

oldhawg

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 04:11:14 pm »

It's a generational thing.  One more generation of Razorback fans and games at WMS will be history ---- hopefully a pleasant memory for the most part.

rtr

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 05:38:11 pm »

I think things went really bad when Bielema blamed playing in LR for losing to Toledo.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:46:15 pm »

When Arkansas gets good again, the debate will die off. It only flared back up dramatically because Arkansas was a bad team in the past 5 years and somehow people placed blame on WMS, like they weren't 32-4 in the Nutt and Petrino era, defeating some really good LSU teams.

You already see hog fans wanting out of Dallas because Texas A&M is now an annual loss. In the previous years before A&M joined the SEC, there was no problem at all playing in Dallas when Arkansas was winning. Now that TAMU has shown them up the past  4 years, they want out.

It's simply a fairweathered situation honestly. We do have a ton of fairweathered fans.

I haven't seen the facility in years, but from what I have heard and read from those who have, WMS needs the upgrade to continue to qualify for games played in it by Arkansas. If the funding isn't available, I understand, states are having a hard time with their budgets and there are probably better places to put money than in an aging stadium.

Maybe the answer is soliciting several big companies to share in the expense of upkeep and marketing of the venue, adopting the facility(branding), and if that happens then maybe the Hogs need to keep playing there not only in return for the investment made by those companies, but also for the goodwill of the rest of the state and the powerbrokers who made it happen?

The A&M game in Jerryworld is an entirely different thing and in that case, wins make all the difference, so I agree with the "fair weathered fans" mention. If we were just 60%-40% or 40%-60% in wins/losses to A&M since Petrino left, I think the perception of that game would be different. We certainly should have won 2-3 of the 5 over that time. If we were "up" in that series I seriously doubt that anyone would be grinching about us playing there in a heckuva venue on national t.v. every year. Because we have blown games, most are ready to bail. I think that is shortsighted, especially with a new staff and new philosophy and their potential impact on Texas recruiting.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:00:16 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

rhames

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:13:42 pm »

I wish I knew how to quit you

hobhog

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 09:20:28 pm »

I love the WMS games.

LA Football fan

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 09:39:49 pm »

I love the WMS games.

I love the WMS games - high school state championship games that is.  Anything else is a waste of money and time.  Cramped seats, drunks everywhere and a traffic nightmare due to all the tailgaters that clog everything up, poor concessions and subpar bathrooms.  Throw in some mediocre teams and it makes no sense playing there.   Waste Management Stadium should have been put to bed years ago, but heavy hitters have no interest in what is actually best for the football program, just as long as they get their precious game every year.   Dropping attendance should have signaled that the venue just isn't worth the time and trouble for the players to have to drive down and give up playing on their home field.   When you think of WMS you think of the movie Money Pit.  That is all that you are doing keeping games there.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 08:19:18 am »

If Jim Harris is the loud mouthed reporter who always asks the dumb questions with perfect a-hole tone, and your friend, I can understand your North Westerly tilted perception on the WMS subject. It's just another loud clamoring bird-call amidst the other bird-calls of the "Do what I want crowd" yelling at the other "Do what I want crowd" while they each try to be-spout the wisdom of their collective will. However, the anti WMS crowd has won the douchery award hands down in a landslide...

I, on the other hand would love to see someone with the opposing opinion get some print time on this site.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 08:21:15 am »

I think things went really bad when Bielema blamed playing in LR for losing to Toledo.

So we listen to that POS..!?

hobhog

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 08:27:32 am »

I love the WMS games - high school state championship games that is.  Anything else is a waste of money and time.  Cramped seats, drunks everywhere and a traffic nightmare due to all the tailgaters that clog everything up, poor concessions and subpar bathrooms.  Throw in some mediocre teams and it makes no sense playing there.   Waste Management Stadium should have been put to bed years ago, but heavy hitters have no interest in what is actually best for the football program, just as long as they get their precious game every year.   Dropping attendance should have signaled that the venue just isn't worth the time and trouble for the players to have to drive down and give up playing on their home field.   When you think of WMS you think of the movie Money Pit.  That is all that you are doing keeping games there.

I go to most in state games involving the Hogs, and venue doesn't dictate if I go or not. I don't go to Dickey Stephens to watch the Travs much, but if Cubs play there you can bet I will be there.

And BTW- WMS is named for our country's veterans, not a trash company.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 08:48:33 am »

So we listen to that POS..!?

Yep the Hog Farmer stirred up the pot along with CBS pulling the plug on our LSU Thanksgiving game.

HungryHog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 09:19:18 am »

I don't understand the hate on War Memorial Stadium.  It is smaller than normal stadiums.  In all other sports and arenas that has become a good thing.  Cameron Indoor Stadium holds 9,000.  Most people on here still reminisce about the good ole days of Barnhill arena and the saw dust floor.  War Memorial Stadium is loud.  The fans are right on top of the players. 

It doesn't have the best video scoreboard. - watch the players on the field
It doesn't have great wifi. - watch the game
It doesn't have the best big comfy locker rooms.  I thought these were football players.
It has old tight metal bleachers!

The field is still the same size as the field in Fayetteville, right?
If we the fans embraced the arena as a home field advantage, packed the house, stood shoulder to shoulder in front of those metal bleachers and yelled for the hogs, the games would be fun again.

I know some of you would rather have your quail sliders on pretzel buns served with truffle fries and a craft beer.  That is not War Memorial.  Get a pop corn and some crappy hot chocolate, or a $4 coke in a bottle from the boy scout walking the steps.  Get close with your neighbor and shake the walls yelling "ARKANSAS" from the West side or reply "RAZORBACKS" from the East.  Watch while a bunch of drunks try to get the wave going if we are up by 14 in the 4th quarter.

This is a football game we are going to watch.  Be a football fan, embrace smaller environment, pack the house and root those hogs to victory. 

Quit whining.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 09:31:38 am »

That game is eventually going to pull out of Dallas because Texas A&M wants to put that game in the new Kyle Field.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 09:33:33 am »

I don't understand the hate on War Memorial Stadium.  It is smaller than normal stadiums.  In all other sports and arenas that has become a good thing.  Cameron Indoor Stadium holds 9,000.  Most people on here still reminisce about the good ole days of Barnhill arena and the saw dust floor.  War Memorial Stadium is loud.  The fans are right on top of the players. 

It doesn't have the best big comfy locker rooms.  I thought these were football players.

If we the fans embraced the arena as a home field advantage, packed the house, stood shoulder to shoulder in front of those metal bleachers and yelled for the hogs, the games would be fun again.

I know some of you would rather have your quail sliders on pretzel buns served with truffle fries and a craft beer.  That is not War Memorial.  Get a pop corn and some crappy hot chocolate, or a $4 coke in a bottle from the boy scout walking the steps.  Get close with your neighbor and shake the walls yelling "ARKANSAS" from the West side or reply "RAZORBACKS" from the East.  Watch while a bunch of drunks try to get the wave going if we are up by 14 in the 4th quarter.

This is a football game we are going to watch.  Be a football fan, embrace smaller environment, pack the house and root those hogs to victory. 

Quit whining.

I bet you whine when your TV provider service goes out and also prefer to drive a Yugo when a Cadillac is available.
I grew up at the time when Barnhill had a saw dust floor and I don’t know anybody personally or on here that reminisses about it when it did have. Some did like it after it was renovated when Eddie had to beg for it to be done. At the time it became a decent place to play and only because the team was good and The Hog wild band made it as such. Cameron indoor is small but has been renovated over the years. As far as WMS seats being tight I guess you don’t care that the couple sitting next to you has a body mass index so high they out-weigh the OL playing on the field and nobody else in your aisle can sit where they are designated to do so without getting arrested for being a pervert to the lady next to them. And the drunks you mention don’t even go inside the stadium for the games, they stay out on the golf course and get into fights.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:41:36 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 09:49:36 am »

The angst regarding War Memorial Stadium comes mostly from NWA fans.
If truth be told their problem is in driving from NWA to Little Rock to see a game. All other complaints are smoke screens. Problems exist with all facilities.
I don't like driving to NWA spending a thousand dollars and giving up a whole weekend of my time. If it a special game, I'll make the trip and that goes for the 40 mile trip to WMS and the three hour drive to Fayetteville.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 09:56:15 am »

That game is eventually going to pull out of Dallas because Texas A&M wants to put that game in the new Kyle Field.

Word down here is Jerry Jones willing to put up more money to keep it going.

Jek Tono Porkins

• Defense Wins Championships
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 09:58:17 am »

Quit whining.
The hate comes from the fact that it doesn't make sense to play there anymore and the sense of entitlement that some fans have as if they're owed a game there. It made sense in 1970 when the city of Little Rock had more people in it than Washington and Benton county combined. It made sense when WMS held 10,000 more people than DWRRS. It made sense when WMS had stadium lights while DWRRS didn't. It made sense when there was no interstate going to Northwest Arkansas.

None of those conditions are there anymore. Washington and Benton county combined have almost as much people as Pulaski and Saline county combined and will have more in 5-10 years. DWRRS has a capacity of 80,000 seats with luxury suites while WMS holds 55,000 people and hasn't had improvements in decades. And the powers at be don't even try to make those arguments anymore. They accept the fact that it is a drain on the football program. They just offset that fact with the emotional appeal of "We want to appeal to the entire state and some fans have fond memories of WMS." Well what's going to happen if we quit playing games in WMS? Are the residents of Central Arkansas going to burn their hog hats and start rooting for LSU or Ole Miss?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 10:03:37 am »

There has been some talk from them as to that. They ironically like us, have a new renovated stadium to pay for. Even much moreso than ours.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 10:06:38 am »

Jerry isn’t an Aggie. They do what they want not what Jerry wants. He would have to be willing to make it more worthwhile for them than playing a game in the new Kyle Field. That doesn’t take into,effect all the season ticket holders down there and the Aggies aren’t all exactly cowboy fans anyway.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 10:10:47 am »

The angst regarding War Memorial Stadium comes mostly from NWA fans.
If truth be told their problem is in driving from NWA to Little Rock to see a game. All other complaints are smoke screens. Problems exist with all facilities.
I don't like driving to NWA spending a thousand dollars and giving up a whole weekend of my time. If it a special game, I'll make the trip and that goes for the 40 mile trip to WMS and the three hour drive to Fayetteville.

I’m a season ticket holder in both places. I prefer all games at RRS and I live in Memphis, was born in Camden and grew up in Central Arkansas. I’d gladly drive past LR and WMS to attend all games in RRS. So no it is not all others being a smokescreen.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 10:11:31 am »

Staying in LR is like languishing in an abusive relationship.

oldhawg

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:15 am »

And BTW- WMS is named for our country's veterans, not a trash company.

While this has little to do with whether or not the Razorbacks continue to play there, I agree with you.  It was built with recognition meant for war veterans, especially WWII vets.  Many people can no longer appreciate the sacrifices they made.  Time does that.  But to call it a waste management dump is a slap in the face to those who gave the ultimate price.

When I think of War Memorial Stadium, I not only think about Razorback football, I am also reminded of my father who at the age of 17 had never been more than about fifty miles away from his home in Corinth, located in rural southwest Arkansas. At nineteen he was driving a small landing craft ferrying men and supplies from ships to a little heard of island called Iwo Jima.  An ordinary generation of people doing extraordinary things.   

Personally, I sometimes think it is time to shut the WMS down (with proper respect), and only if a new War Memorial of some type could be built on the same location.

texas tush hog

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 10:34:18 am »

The Ole Miss game is selling out quickly.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:26 am »

I bet you whine when your TV provider service goes out and also prefer to drive a Yugo when a Cadillac is available.
I grew up at the time when Barnhill had a saw dust floor and I don’t know anybody personally or on here that reminisses about it when it did have. Some did like it after it was renovated when Eddie had to practically beg for it. At they time it still,only became a decent place to play and only because the team was good and The Hog wild band made it as such. Cameron indoor is small but has been renovated over the years. As far as WMS seats being tight I guess you Don’t care that the couple sitting next to you has a body mass index so high they out weigh the OL playing on the field and nobody else in your aisle can sit where they are designated to do so without getting arrested for being a pervert to the lady next to them. And the drunks you mention don’t even go inside the stadium for the games, they stay out on the golf course and get into fights.

As I read through your judgmental and Holier than Thou post I find that you yourself reach your own solution . Just get drunk and stay outside, or take one of the drunks seats... Duh.!?!

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 11:02:34 am »

Jerry isn’t an Aggie. They do what they want not what Jerry wants. He would have to be willing to make it more worthwhile for them than playing a game in the new Kyle Field. That doesn’t take into,effect all the season ticket holders down there and the Aggies aren’t all exactly cowboy fans anyway.

If TAMU pulls out Jerry will get someone else maybe even Texas and that would really stick in TAMU 's crawl.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 11:23:01 am »

Staying in LR is like languishing in an abusive relationship.
Or................continuing to have to listen to all the belly aching about the decision. My gosh, football season can't arrive soon enough. Of course, then we'll have other issues to whine about.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 11:24:27 am »

I’m a season ticket holder in both places. I prefer all games at RRS and I live in Memphis, was born in Camden and grew up in Central Arkansas. I’d gladly drive past LR and WMS to attend all games in RRS. So no it is not all others being a smokescreen.
Same here as far as being a season ticket holder. However, I could honestly care less where they play one game a year. I'll do my best to be wherever they decide to play it.

psooie

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:21 am »

Texas A&m wants out if the Dallas game today and won’t renew the series if it last until 2024. I would be shocked if the game is played in Dallas past 2018 since that means only 2 sec games at RAzorback stadium. I look for jerry to either get a series with a big 12 school or have Arkansas play in the cowboy kickoff game

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 11:31:52 am »

Same here as far as being a season ticket holder. However, I could honestly care less where they play one game a year. I'll do my best to be wherever they decide to play it.

I've been saying for a few years, if LR just wants A GAME, then play the season opening rent a win there on Labor Day Weekend. Problem is LR does not just want A GAME, they want to continue to dictate it has to be a SEC or a marquee ooc game.

What they did with this deal is really set themselves up to look bad. Suppose the Hogs go into the Mizzu game at 4-7 with no bowl game on the line? Or go in at 6-5 with a bowl trip locked up but no real hope of improving past Shreveport? In either case, they will be lucky to draw 35k.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:52 am »

While this has little to do with whether or not the Razorbacks continue to play there, I agree with you.  It was built with recognition meant for war veterans, especially WWII vets.  Many people can no longer appreciate the sacrifices they made.  Time does that.  But to call it a waste management dump is a slap in the face to those who gave the ultimate price.

When I think of War Memorial Stadium, I not only think about Razorback football, I am also reminded of my father who at the age of 17 had never been more than about fifty miles away from his home in Corinth, located in rural southwest Arkansas. At nineteen he was driving a small landing craft ferrying men and supplies from ships to a little heard of island called Iwo Jima.  An ordinary generation of people doing extraordinary things.   

Personally, I sometimes think it is time to shut the WMS down (with proper respect), and only if a new War Memorial of some type could be built on the same location.

MY Dad was a WWII veteran. My Father in Law is a disabled WWII veteran. I grew up in Jacksonville/Cabot and know a lot of veterans. IF it means so much to the State to honor veterans then perhaps the state should have maintained the stadium better and used it more often besides relying on Hog games to mostly pay for it over the years. I know it is used for high school playoffs as well as some other high school games but that doesn’t come close to filling it. Also concerts draw more than high school football but it isn’t used for that as often and now Verizon arena is better for that purpose. I propose tearing it down and building a newer memorial in its place of some type that will be used more often and perhaps daily by people and still honor those that served. Also don’t forget that the whole area around the stadium is named War Memorial Park.

ricepig

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 11:59:13 am »

Link please?

ricepig

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 12:02:19 pm »

The Ole Miss game is selling out quickly.

Lol, I just looked 30 minutes ago, there's 3 sections on the West side about full, seating still available up on the top 5 or 6 rows. The only sections marked full are OM's to sell. You can get Row 20-25 on the 40 on the East side, maybe only pairs, but available.

liljo

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 12:02:59 pm »

Go Hogs.

HF#1

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2018, 12:04:44 pm »

It is a lot like quitting smoking.

oldhawg

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 12:08:15 pm »

MY Dad was a WWII veteran. My Father in Law is a disabled WWII veteran. I grew up in Jacksonville/Cabot and know a lot of veterans. IF it means so much to the State to honor veterans then perhaps the state should have maintained the stadium better and used it more often besides relying on Hog games to mostly pay for it over the years. I know it is used for high school playoffs as well as some other high school games but that doesn’t come close to filling it. Also concerts draw more than high school football but it isn’t used for that as often and now Verizon arena is better for that purpose. I propose tearing it down and building a newer memorial in its place of some type that will be used more often and perhaps daily by people and still honor those that served. Also don’t forget that the whole area around the stadium is named War Memorial Park.

Having cut my teeth on Razorback football at War Memorial Stadium, I still tend to agree with you.  Time to let the stadium go while there are many more good memories, and positive legends to build.  Just replace it with an appropriate war memorial of some kind.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »

I've been saying for a few years, if LR just wants A GAME, then play the season opening rent a win there on Labor Day Weekend. Problem is LR does not just want A GAME, they want to continue to dictate it has to be a SEC or a marquee ooc game.

What they did with this deal is really set themselves up to look bad. Suppose the Hogs go into the Mizzu game at 4-7 with no bowl game on the line? Or go in at 6-5 with a bowl trip locked up but no real hope of improving past Shreveport? In either case, they will be lucky to draw 35k.

Here is the problem in a Houston Nuttshell... I see lots of "We's and They's" in that paragraph. We need more  Us's and less "We's" and less "They's". They's a gonna kill us...  No one can really give a legit reason for moving or for keeping games other than their personal preference. All of the hyperbole and "Dump" talk is just more bull$hit... Face fact's, If they expanded WMS to hold 150K, had a fiber-optic field turf put in, Solid gold toilets with platinum walls and chef Bobby Flay serving the meals on  fine china the people bitching about the Off campus BS would shut up... Real talk, Bama quit playing in Birmingham, and some of you feel that the rest of the SEC is making fun of your dinky. Grow up, BE ARKANSAS and quit giving a hunk of crap what anyone west of the Mississippi and south or west of Texarkana thinks. Every single argument against the games in Little Rock has a mirror argument pointing right back at it. NOW I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:45 pm »

IF it means so much to the State to honor veterans then perhaps the state should have maintained the stadium better and used it more often besides relying on Hog games to mostly pay for it over the years.

It is like so many other things in this state, and likely other states too, the people want filet mignon at strip steal prices.

When it comes to Hog stuff, we want a great stadium and a high profile coach, but we also want cheap tickets and low donation levels to get those tickets. We want big time ooc games, but we don't want to do the home and home to get them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas