• 9,931,710 Posts
• 399,367 Topics
• 22,894 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018-19 depth chart  (Read 5392 times)

redleg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
2018-19 depth chart
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:35:41 am »

Point Guards -
fr. Keyshawn Embery 6'4" 180, soph. Jalen Harris 6'2" 170, fr. Desi Sills 6'2" 180

Shooting Guards -
RFR. Kahlil Garland 6'5" 200,  jr. Mason Jones 6'5" 180, fr. Isaiah Joe 6'4" 185

Small Forward -
jr. Adrio Bailey 6'7" 215, fr. Jordan Phillips 6'7" 200

Power Forward -
fr. Ethan Henderson 6'9" 200, fr. Reggie Chaney 6'8" 230, soph. Gabe Osabuohien 6'8" 225

Center -
soph. Daniel Gafford 6'11" 235, fr. Ibby Ali 6'10" 255

Hopefully Henderson will get to campus early this summer and will hit the weight room, like Gafford did last year. Henderson could, with hard work, put on 10-15 lbs of muscle this summer.
Embery is the real deal, and I can easily see him starting for Arkansas at the point. Luckily, Harris and Sills are also solid point guards.
Hoping to see Garland recover and finally make it onto the court this fall. He should be a starter. If not, Embery may slide to the 2.
Henderson and Chaney will provide plenty of big plays in the paint.
Ali will be learning the system and trying to adjust to the college game. He will be a role player for most of the season, relieving Gafford in the middle for 8-12 minutes per game, but that might increase slightly once post-season play begins.

Prediction: 25-11 overall, 11-7 in SEC (Hogs will once again lose 2-4 conference games they should win), #6 seed in SEC Tourney - 2 wins, 2nd Round of NCAA Tourney...again:-[

Mike Anderson can't seem to bring in enough of the right players, or coach his players, to get the Hogs beyond this rut of 22-25 wins and a 1st or 2nd round in the NCAAs. This should NOT be the standard. This should be a stage in the program's upward trajectory and eventual destination. If this is the best that we can hope for from Anderson, he may not last beyond the 2020 season. I doubt Hunter Yurachek will be satisfied with settling for it. Yes, I can hear the arguments from some people, "Most programs don't even have this much!", "Most programs don't even make the Tournament!". I don't give a damn about "Most programs"! The Arkansas Razorbacks men's basketball program should consistently be in the Top 25, should consistently be competing for the SEC title, and should be making deeper runs in the NCAA Tourney than just the first two rounds, to include some Elite 8 and Final Four appearances, with a legit chance to win another national championship eventually. This program's history demands it, and the potential is there waiting to the tapped. If Mike Anderson cannot get over the hump, then it will be time to bring in someone* who can.
*But I am hopeful that coach will be Mike Anderson!

navyhog24

Re: 2018-19 depth chart
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:56:29 am »

Prediction: 25-11 overall, 11-7 in SEC (Hogs will once again lose 2-4 conference games they should win), #6 seed in SEC Tourney - 2 wins, 2nd Round of NCAA Tourney...

This is OP:

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:16 am »

At this stage it's hard to predict anything. However, I'm optimistic about the direction of the program. Just Keep Watching

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:28:45 am »

At this stage it's hard to predict anything. However, I'm optimistic about the direction of the program. Just Keep Watching

Well, in fairness to the haters, some of them have been watching since the Sutton years and are legitimately asking, how long will it take to bake this cake? By now I would have expected to have seen a sweet sixteen at least and we would have if not for the refs stealing the NC game from us a couple of years ago.

Yes, we all will keep watching but if we don't see a quantifiable level of improvement in level of play and postseason performance, it will be time to make a change in the next couple of years.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:45:07 am »

How the depth chart will actually look:

PG: Harris / Sills (more of a CG)
SG: Joe / Embery
G/F: Jones / Phillips
PF: Chaney / Osabuohien or Bailey
C: Gafford / Henderson / Ali (should RS)

Not listing Garland until he is cleared, which I am getting more and more doubtful will ever happen.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:50 am »

I'm really excited to see these new guys.  A lot reason for optimisim, pessimism too if you're that kind of person.  A loootttt of four stars in that lineup though. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:04 am »

I'm really excited to see these new guys.  A lot reason for optimisim, pessimism too if you're that kind of person.  A loootttt of four stars in that lineup though.

There are six players on next years roster that were rated as a four star by at least one publication:

Joe
Embery
Chaney
Gafford
Henderson
Garland (not cleared to play)

Fan701

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:37:16 pm »

This team has a lot of potential, but Gafford is really the only proven D-1 star.  I'm looking forward to watching the young guys play and get better, but I would be amazed if we win as many as 20 games, go .500 or better in conference, or make the tournament next year.  Hope I'm wrong.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:23 pm »

There are six players on next years roster that were rated as a four star by at least one publication:

Joe
Embery
Chaney
Gafford
Henderson
Garland (not cleared to play)

Phillips is a 4 star on one Sills is or was at one point in time before his injury. 

EDIT: Phillips must have been bumped down within the past few months. 

batmanfan

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 02:06:07 pm »

Phillips is a 4 star on one Sills is or was at one point in time before his injury. 

EDIT: Phillips must have been bumped down within the past few months. 

He is at least a rivals top 150 and is just a few spots away last I looked. I actually think they all are a Rivals top 150 besides Sills who I think was at one point.

rzrbackramsfan

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 02:21:43 pm »

He is at least a rivals top 150 and is just a few spots away last I looked. I actually think they all are a Rivals top 150 besides Sills who I think was at one point.

Ah yes thanks, Phillips just got moved down from being the 134th best player and a four start to the 139th best player and a 3 star. 

On Sills, though, man I think people are mightily sleeping on him.  I called Gafford a 5 star coming in, that gives me the right to call Sills a 4 star. 

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

I thought Jones will just be a sophomore?

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:41 pm »

I thought Jones will just be a sophomore?
Correct

daprospecta

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 03:29:26 pm »

Point Guards -
fr. Keyshawn Embery 6'4" 180, soph. Jalen Harris 6'2" 170, fr. Desi Sills 6'2" 180

Shooting Guards -
RFR. Kahlil Garland 6'5" 200,  jr. Mason Jones 6'5" 180, fr. Isaiah Joe 6'4" 185

Small Forward -

Power Forward -
fr. Ethan Henderson 6'9" 200, fr. Reggie Chaney 6'8" 230, soph. Gabe Osabuohien 6'8" 225

Center -

Hopefully Henderson will get to campus early this summer and will hit the weight room, like Gafford did last year. Henderson could, with hard work, put on 10-15 lbs of muscle this summer.
Embery is the real deal, and I can easily see him starting for Arkansas at the point. Luckily, Harris and Sills are also solid point guards.
Hoping to see Garland recover and finally make it onto the court this fall. He should be a starter. If not, Embery may slide to the 2.
Ali will be learning the system and trying to adjust to the college game. He will be a role player for most of the season, relieving Gafford in the middle for 8-12 minutes per game, but that might increase slightly once post-season play begins.

Prediction: 25-11 overall, 11-7 in SEC (Hogs will once again lose 2-4 conference games they should win), #6 seed in SEC Tourney - 2 wins, 2nd Round of NCAA Tourney...again:-[

Mike Anderson can't seem to bring in enough of the right players, or coach his players, to get the Hogs beyond this rut of 22-25 wins and a 1st or 2nd round in the NCAAs. This should NOT be the standard. This should be a stage in the program's upward trajectory and eventual destination. If this is the best that we can hope for from Anderson, he may not last beyond the 2020 season. I doubt Hunter Yurachek will be satisfied with settling for it. Yes, I can hear the arguments from some people, "Most programs don't even have this much!", "Most programs don't even make the Tournament!". I don't give a damn about "Most programs"! The Arkansas Razorbacks men's basketball program should consistently be in the Top 25, should consistently be competing for the SEC title, and should be making deeper runs in the NCAA Tourney than just the first two rounds, to include some Elite 8 and Final Four appearances, with a legit chance to win another national championship eventually. This program's history demands it, and the potential is there waiting to the tapped. If Mike Anderson cannot get over the hump, then it will be time to bring in someone* who can.

I'm probably younger than most here(33) but I remember being really young watching Oliver Miller and Todd Day and of course Corliss and then Pat Bradley and Joe Johnson. I remember the good years. I also remember the Pel and Heath years. The Heath years were especially tough because I was friends with a few of the players.  I say that to say this.  We haven't been a great team in a long time.  The best teams we've had since Nolan was fired have been under Mike's tutelage. I want deep runs in the NCAA but what makes you think we should be guaranteed deep runs?

If Arkansas deserves a team that frequently makes deep runs, so does UMASS, Temple, Marquette, NC State and the list goes on.  It's one thing to expect a coach to bring in better players that can compete at a higher level(Mike is doing that) but it's another to say it's elite 8 or bust. I am ready for the next step as well but to expect an elite 8 appearance is to be out of touch with college basketball's current landscape.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:38 pm »

I'm excited about this roster and class. And the monster of a season you know Gafford is about to have... That is all.

skinnypig

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 10:34:18 pm »

A Mike Amerson looking team long & athletic. Lot of quickness with some good outside shooters. Iím sure youth will hurt in some games, but have the potential to be really exciting and have really good year. Canít wait to watch them

Toocool21

• Band Nerd
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »

Point Guards -

Shooting Guards -

Small Forward -

Power Forward -

Center -

[/quote

coach A has done a good job coaching this basketball team... When he makes the sweet 16 that won't b good enough either...

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 09:00:00 am »

Not listing Garland until he is cleared, which I am getting more and more doubtful will ever happen.

We really need Jones or Phillips to be able to earn a starting spot, especially if Garland doesn't get cleared.

I would imagine our crunch time backcourt will be Harris, Embery, and Joe. I also think Chaney and Henderson will have to work more to get PT over Gabe and Bailey. Expecting a big jump from Osa.

MakingPlays

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 10:59:49 am »

Only thing I'm wondering is how things are going to work at that 4 spot.  I really don't see CMA not playing both Osabuohien and Bailey significant minutes, Bailey will be the most experienced player on the team, plus he was the starting 4 to end the season, we know how CMA will always favor experience.   Gabe is like the new Manny/Kikko/Gully type of player that just plays hard every play that CMA always makes playing time for.  And Chaney has the most upside and will be the most talented.

I think one of these 2 scenarios will happen.  He'll either play Gabe at the 3 spot some to help make minutes for him, or he'll have Chaney be the primary back-up at the 5 spot to clear minutes at the 4 for both Bailey and Osabuohien, but I've seen too much of CMA over the years to know he's going to play those "Glue Guys" like Gabe and Bailey no matter what, especially if they are 2 of the most experienced players on the team.

logic

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:32:16 pm »

I'm probably younger than most here(33) but I remember being really young watching Oliver Miller and Todd Day and of course Corliss and then Pat Bradley and Joe Johnson. I remember the good years. I also remember the Pel and Heath years. The Heath years were especially tough because I was friends with a few of the players.  I say that to say this.  We haven't been a great team in a long time.  The best teams we've had since Nolan was fired have been under Mike's tutelage. I want deep runs in the NCAA but what makes you think we should be guaranteed deep runs?

If Arkansas deserves a team that frequently makes deep runs, so does UMASS, Temple, Marquette, NC State and the list goes on.  It's one thing to expect a coach to bring in better players that can compete at a higher level(Mike is doing that) but it's another to say it's elite 8 or bust. I am ready for the next step as well but to expect an elite 8 appearance is to be out of touch with college basketball's current landscape.
Those years with Nolan and the Eddie Sutton years were the fun years.  There hasn't been any really good teams since the Eddie and Nolan years.  I'm only guessing, but it is probably a combination of getting the players and coaching.
And, getting the number and quality of players that Eddie and Nolan signed is likely the major reason we are not as successful.  Mike Anderson tries to sign better players, but most, even Arkansas 5 star players, choose to play elsewhere. 

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 09:31:19 am »

Gotta agree with you on Garland not looking good.  Your depth chart looks pretty spot on.  I don't see Sills as a PG

hawgtime

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 12:41:24 pm »

now, which of these players can consistently put the ball in the hole?  How many will be consistent scorers and great shooters?  if we are long, athletic but can't score, then it won't matter again! i want great defense, great shooters, slams and lots of steals!  not much to ask for.

Captain Morgan

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »

now, which of these players can consistently put the ball in the hole?  How many will be consistent scorers and great shooters?  if we are long, athletic but can't score, then it won't matter again! i want great defense, great shooters, slams and lots of steals!  not much to ask for.

Scoring has not been the problem. Its the defensive effort that's been suspect

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:58 am »

Saw where Zay was measured at 6í5Ē after he moved in with a 6í8.5Ē wingspan. Thatís a long shooting guard.

Rawker

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 08:53:00 am »

I am ready for the next step as well but to expect an elite 8 appearance is to be out of touch with college basketball's current landscape.

You just accurately described 98% of the attendees of Jumpball.  Many of them, when they tune in for TV games, wonder why the ball looks all perfectly round and why nobody is trying to tuck the ball in and run with it more.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:47 am »

Scoring has not been the problem. Its the defensive effort that's been suspect

Never thought I would agree with Captain Morgan! The defensive effort last year at times was embarrassing. Can't coach effort!

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 09:42:27 am »

Well, in fairness to the haters, some of them have been watching since the Sutton years and are legitimately asking, how long will it take to bake this cake? By now I would have expected to have seen a sweet sixteen at least and we would have if not for the refs stealing the NC game from us a couple of years ago.

Yes, we all will keep watching but if we don't see a quantifiable level of improvement in level of play and postseason performance, it will be time to make a change in the next couple of years.

word.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 06:49:26 pm »

Never thought I would agree with Captain Morgan! The defensive effort last year at times was embarrassing. Can't coach effort!

Sounds like you got a little Captain in you.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:32 pm »

Why not?

nwahogfan1

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 07:10:12 pm »

I think your line up is much closer to being right.  Garland may never play.  Bailey is only 6'6 and may never be a SF like so many want because he has No shot, no handles or SF instincts.    I agree that Henderson has to play 5 until he can develop into a 4 which will take time.  I hope Gabe will develop and gain muscle into a 4 or at least a 4/5.  It would of helped if he red shirted last year.   I hope Jones or some one will give us some great minutes at the 3.  We need a 6'6 athletic type player to give us some great minutes there. 

I see 8-10 SEC wins and depending on our non conference schedule I see 18 to 20 win season and probable a NIT bid.  Maybe we can win 2+ games in the NIT to give us some post season success. 

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 08:00:41 pm »

It is really hard to predict how fast a team can gel because frankly the incoming talent level from 1-5 rivals every class except 95's.

On Gafford's position is safe because the incoming class has more potential than every returning player (minus Daniel) on the roster.

Conference play will determine this teams fate which in most people's opinion is post-season (NIT or NCAA)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:18:13 pm by The_Bionic_Pig »

Foshodo

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:44 pm »

I think your line up is much closer to being right.  Garland may never play.  Bailey is only 6'6 and may never be a SF like so many want because he has No shot, no handles or SF instincts.    I agree that Henderson has to play 5 until he can develop into a 4 which will take time.  I hope Gabe will develop and gain muscle into a 4 or at least a 4/5.  It would of helped if he red shirted last year.   I hope Jones or some one will give us some great minutes at the 3.  We need a 6'6 athletic type player to give us some great minutes there. 

I see 8-10 SEC wins and depending on our non conference schedule I see 18 to 20 win season and probable a NIT bid.  Maybe we can win 2+ games in the NIT to give us some post season success.

I guess I get the Arkansas bias but didnít Embery end up our highest ranked recruit in the class, yet heíll play backup?

*meant to quote icemans  lineup

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 07:01:28 am »

I guess I get the Arkansas bias but didnít Embery end up our highest ranked recruit in the class, yet heíll play backup?

I think it's best to separate Embery and Jalen Harris. Embery will probably play starters minutes, but works best in that 2nd unit. I want Harris, Joe, and Jones on the court with Gafford.

MakingPlays

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 01:30:17 pm »

Depends on which service you use.   Henderson is the highest on ESPN.  Joe is the highest on Rivals.  Embery is the highest on 247.   

Henderson, Joe, Embery, and Chaney are all within that top 150 range.  I personally think Joe is the best of the bunch with Chaney being second. I also think Embery will be pretty good and see some big minutes his first year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas