• 396,453 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How did we do this spring?  (Read 3558 times)

Fan701

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
How did we do this spring?
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:56 am »

Ok.  Of the underclassmen we expected back, we lost Hall and C.J. Jones, but gained Mason Jones and Ibby.  Are we worse off?  Better off?  About the same?  I'm thinking we're worse off in the short run, mainly because Hall was already a proven player, but possibly better off in the long run, especially if a player of Ibby's size develops basketball skills.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
Re: How did we do this spring?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:10:50 am »

We're significantly worse off.    We lost scoring and the sort of team glue guy that gets you through things.

Now, we get to re-invent the wheel again with guys who are talented, but lack the same experience.

You can't stay young with high roster turnover forever, unless you are bringing in ridiculous classes-- and even then, you can see with even the likes of Kentucky, that it doesn't always work.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Fan701

• Varsity
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:57 am »

We're significantly worse off.    We lost scoring and the sort of team glue guy that gets you through things.

Now, we get to re-invent the wheel again with guys who are talented, but lack the same experience.

You can't stay young with high roster turnover forever, unless you are bringing in ridiculous classes-- and even then, you can see with even the likes of Kentucky, that it doesn't always work.

Agreed, although maybe a year or two out Mason Jones and Ibby will be very good players, as good or better than the ones they replaced.  That's pretty speculative, whereas we already knew that Hall was pretty good.  With the loss of Macon and Barford, and all the roster turnover, I think our expectations for next season have to at least start out pretty low.  The questions are how fast can the new guys develop and how far can Gafford alone take us.

King Kong

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:03:15 am »

Losing Darius Hall make it worse.

Perfect player for this system.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:05:28 am »

Agreed, although maybe a year or two out Mason Jones and Ibby will be very good players, as good or better than the ones they replaced.  That's pretty speculative, whereas we already knew that Hall was pretty good.  With the loss of Macon and Barford, and all the roster turnover, I think our expectations for next season have to at least start out pretty low.  The questions are how fast can the new guys develop and how far can Gafford alone take us.

Darious Hall was gonna be missed anyways. But itís unforeseen what he actually wouldíve done next year. Still would love that experience and energy. But the Baby Hawgs will come out fighting. Still have a lot of talent that will hopefully develop into a monster of a team by the end of the year going into 2019-2020 season.

navyhog24

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:10 am »

I will consider making the NIT a success, sadly. I know a few of the incoming guys have played together on the AAU circuit, but it will take some time for them to learn defense and for the whole team to gel together. It should be a lot of fun watching them grow up, though.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:35:13 am »

Darious Hall was gonna be missed anyways. But itís unforeseen what he actually wouldíve done next year. Still would love that experience and energy. But the Baby Hawgs will come out fighting. Still have a lot of talent that will hopefully develop into a monster of a team by the end of the year going into 2019-2020 season.

We saw down the stretch what a clutch defender he could be, and his ability to break us out of scoring droughts with offense from the defense.

He's the kind of glue guy that a great Hog team usually has a couple of, to realize its potential.  We lost a good one, in that regard.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 11:41:56 am »

It seems sometimes that we lose as many players as Calipari does, ....problem is the ones he loses and replaces are 5*.

raz1965

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51:02 am »

Better off if you have team players that want to play for the Razorbacks.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00:04 pm »

For me it was a good spring. Hall and Jones unexpectedly left.......a projected lottery pick unexpectedly stayed and we signed Jones and Ibby. When we are projecting the loss of Hall for next year are we assuming everything is good and he will have progressed, because obviously everything was not good.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »

For me it was a good spring. Hall and Jones unexpectedly left.......a projected lottery pick unexpectedly stayed and we signed Jones and Ibby. When we are projecting the loss of Hall for next year are we assuming everything is good and he will have progressed, because obviously everything was not good.
This is a logical answer. Everyone is so emotional about Hall that we forgot Gafford was supposedly leaving for the NBA. So me personally I think we broke even. I think Mason doesn't have to do much to equal CJ's production. Gafford cancels out the Hall loss for next year and adding a big body is always a plus.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 01:01:30 pm »

the cancers are gone.... thats a plus...

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 01:06:16 pm »

Mike Andersonís signature is recruiting athletes that need time in the system to develop the basketball skills needed to run that system.  Anyway you look at it consistently losing experience and having to develop new players is a determent to establishing a consistently producing program.  Anderson consistently performs above avg with what he works with, but alas thatís still below what Razorback fans expect by and large.  Recruiting AND retention are the two things that Anderson can do to improve his program.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 01:07:45 pm »

the cancers are gone.... thats a plus...

This is not always the answer!

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 01:52:37 pm »

This is not always the answer!
but its a positive...

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 01:55:31 pm »

We saw down the stretch what a clutch defender he could be, and his ability to break us out of scoring droughts with offense from the defense.

He's the kind of glue guy that a great Hog team usually has a couple of, to realize its potential.  We lost a good one, in that regard.

We also saw a turnover machine that would more than likely force the action when there wasnít anything there. He avg 6 pts. His energy was his best asset, and that can be replaced. We wonít miss his ďscoringĒ. But we could use every bit of experience we can gather about now. I donít think itís a huge blow by any means. Hurts some though.

natelepain

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:19 pm »

IMO, anyone who believes we're worse off is simply lost in the drama. 

Gafford staying is a huge bonus for the Hogs and his improving game will open up the 3-Point line for the new sharp shooters. 

CJ Jones leaving was expected and for the best. His sophomore year was the best year he would have as a Razorback and him leaving opened up room for a player with no ties, to last year's failures. 

Hall(my favorite player from last year) leaving was a blow but clearly he needed to leave.  If his conflict with Gafford morphed into Macon/Beard 2.0 we'd be helping him pack. 

Adding Mason Jones and Ibby is like adding 2 experienced players, as neither are coming of out HS and have had extra time to work on their game and their conditioning. 

I'm absolutely excited about Fall 2018 and if we add Corliss Williamson to the coaching staff, I'll be over the top.

WPS

ShadowHawg

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »

Ok.  Of the underclassmen we expected back, we lost Hall and C.J. Jones, but gained Mason Jones and Ibby.  Are we worse off?  Better off?  About the same?  I'm thinking we're worse off in the short run, mainly because Hall was already a proven player, but possibly better off in the long run, especially if a player of Ibby's size develops basketball skills.

I think it is a push.

Hall was still inconsistent. He did some very good things at times but was so bad with FT's you couldn't afford to play him at times. Then the next game he's knocking FT's down. He had a lot of potential, but it was still potential at the point he left us.

Between Hall and Jones we still had questions about could they bring it consistently. When they brought it, they were the real deals, no arguments. But both seemed to be either hot or frigid and not much in between.

What makes it a push for me is that we didn't bring in 2 late signees that were like the two guys who left. We brought in players that were different from both. One is a 6'5" shooter with some handles and the other is an athletic project big.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 03:58:07 pm »

You can rationalize Hall's leaving as a plus, but in reality it was bad for HIM and US. 

Smithian

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 04:34:41 pm »

Having multiple transfers coincide with losing a lot of senior talent is really bad. The recruiting class was solid but that turnover simply is not sustainable.

Smithian

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 04:35:08 pm »

You can rationalize Hall's leaving as a plus, but in reality it was bad for HIM and US. 
How was it bad for HogInMemphis?

HoopS

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 04:41:06 pm »

I didnít like him leaving. But good grief some act like he was an absolute stud.

And I wouldnít call him a glue guy. Watkins was a glue guy because he did many things and amongst them were things that bond a team. I donít know how Hall suddenly gets tagged that since he left.

natelepain

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 05:04:16 pm »

The point of people squawking about the "lose" of talent, Hall was only here 1-year and he grew into his role as a Hog.  The incoming freshman will do the same.  The SR talent that we had last year was basically Macon and Barford.  The rest were role players and often times not very good at that. 

Last year's team was good, so long as a combo of Gafford and Macon/Barford were good.  When the suspended SR's came back and asserted themselves, last December the team nosedived.  Next year's team will absolutely be Gafford's to lead and the players coming in will appreciate the opportunity to play with great talent. All these white-knuckle, whimpering posts about how bad things are going to be, is just people hating because they don't know how to enjoy a good thing. 

We'll have shooting guards, true point guard, some bigs in the paint, a first round draft pick leading the team and a Coach who's never had a losing season.  Sounds pretty good to me.  WPS

liljo

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »

How was it bad for HogInMemphis?

The team will be better, much to HIM's chagrin.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 06:06:44 pm »

One factor is that the freshmen played together in AAU ball.  We'll see if that translates.   

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:16 pm »

I didnít like him leaving. But good grief some act like he was an absolute stud.

And I wouldnít call him a glue guy. Watkins was a glue guy because he did many things and amongst them were things that bond a team. I donít know how Hall suddenly gets tagged that since he left.

Yep the one thing this past year's team was missing was the glue guy(s).  We didn't have a big talent drop off from 2016/17 to 2017/18, but we had a big leadership drop off.  Dusty, Manny, and Moses were the 3 amigo seniors that had been through the struggle the year before.  With them leaving it left a leadership void that no one stepped into.  Trey could have been that guy but he just didn't have the demeanor.  Dustin, nope, Arlando, nope.  Macon and Barford,  great kids but more hired gun types.  Beard, yeah except it's hard for someone 5'1 to take that leadership role.

I think Gafford can be a good leader but was just a freshman finding his way and becoming a star last year.  This coming season it's unquestionably his team.  I think it would serve him and the team well to take up that mantle.

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 06:52:16 pm »

Unless you are seriously playing the defend game I don't see anyway to label this spring a success. Lost two rotational players, one who showed tremendous promise, replaced them with stealing a UCA recruit and a project who hasn't played organized ball in a year.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 06:53:16 pm »

The season will be determined by how fast the player's can find their roles & gel.

It's appearent that the 5 (Gafford) 4 (Chaney) are easily the 2 most talented interior player's and I don't see anyone beating them out as starter's (unless MA wants to offset the Offensive Punch coming off the bench)

Embrey & Zay (IMO) are the best guards.

J. Phillips has THE MOST POTENTIAL of any freshman as he can play the 1-4. 

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 06:58:52 pm »

Unless you are seriously playing the defend game I don't see anyway to label this spring a success. Lost two rotational players, one who showed tremendous promise, replaced them with stealing a UCA recruit and a project who hasn't played organized ball in a year.

So if he hadn't previously verbally committed to UCA and I told you a 6'5 SG who averaged 16 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assist and shot 42% from 3 you wouldn't feel any different?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 07:01:32 pm »

So if he hadn't previously verbally committed to UCA and I told you a 6'5 SG who averaged 16 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assist and shot 42% from 3 you wouldn't feel any different?

Why even bother?

navyhog24

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 09:51:15 am »

You do realize Mason Jones got re-evaluated and got a new ranking to the #6 overall Juco player and #2 Juco SG?

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:09 am »

You do realize Mason Jones got re-evaluated and got a new ranking to the #6 overall Juco player and #2 Juco SG?

You do realize the two we gained have never touched the ball in D-1 while the two we lost have.   Thatís ground to make up right there.

batmanfan

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:37 am »

A solid B all thing considered. Moves to an A- if Garland gets cleared.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 10:22:09 am »

Gafford Returned! Spring recruiting was a success! You have a potential lottery pick that returns to school. All the hogs have to do is build off of that. If Jones and Hall have the same character traits of Dustin Thomas the team killer, I say good riddance.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:06 am »

Better off if you have team players that want to play for the Razorbacks.

(rolls eyes because I have heard this a million times).

Actually better off if you recruit high skill and bball IQ guys. "wanting to play for the Hogs' should not be what is aimed for

liljo

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 07:23:25 pm »

(rolls eyes because I have heard this a million times).

Proven truth tends to be repeated.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 09:04:42 pm »

Meh. Losing Hall to DePaul was a real head scratcher. Big big loss.

My fan energy for basketball is at the lowest since Anderson came here. Last season was a real nut shot.

Roadhog82

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:20 pm »

5 ppg, 3 rpg, 56% FT. I know Hall showed some potential, especially defensively. But this is by no means an irreplaceable talent

ShadowHawg

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:23 pm »

Meh. Losing Hall to DePaul was a real head scratcher. Big big loss.

My fan energy for basketball is at the lowest since Anderson came here. Last season was a real nut shot.

I don't get this. Last season was by far the most difficult schedule I have ever seen a Hog basketball team play. We played nearly 20 games against NCAA tournament teams. Usually that number is half or less of that.

We went to the NCAA tournament but lost first round which sucked. Then Gafford, a projected lottery pick, decides to return.

It certainly wasn't a banner year but it was hardly a kick in the nuts. The SEC is projecting to be strong again this upcoming season. If we can turn in another season like this one, it will mean that for the first time in 2 DECADES our program is legit again. Legit is the starting point from which you can actually start expecting to see movement towards perennial top 20 status again.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 01:23:58 pm »

5 ppg, 3 rpg, 56% FT. I know Hall showed some potential, especially defensively. But this is by no means an irreplaceable talent

Hate it for Hall worse that I dislike it for Arkansas.  I hope he has a great career at DePaul and reaches his full potential, although I think going to DePaul will make that more difficult for him.

hawgball40

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 01:39:38 pm »

I think you will all be pleasantly surprised with Sills, Henderson, and Joe. I also expect the big from out of state(name escapes me) will be atleast serviceable as a freshman. he should be one of the most polished freshman bigs we've had since marshawn powell. atleast thats my take from watching his film. he doesn't wow you with anything but he's received excellent foundation of fundamentals at the prep school, just like marshawn powell coming out of hs. i'm not saying he's as good as powell but he good turn out to have a good impact as a freshman, as its likely the prep school has prepared him well for the college game. I can't say about mason and ibby, but i'm optimistic that all these young guys will be much better than people on this board thinks. Remember, everyone doubted gafford coming in as well. goes to show the jump that freshman can make under ma if they are committed to rising to the challenge. They challenged gafford coming in and he apparently took it and ran without hesitation.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 01:40:33 pm »

The correct answer is "I don't know", the most underused phrase in the English language.  Nobody knows how good Jones and Ibby will be next year.  Nobody know how much Hall and Jones would have improved over the summer or how well they would have meshed with perhaps more talented younger players.  Nobody knows what our biggest holes will be with so many new faces.  Nobody knows if continuity is better or a reset in team chemistry was needed.

Fan701

• Varsity
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:44 pm »

The correct answer is "I don't know", the most underused phrase in the English language.  Nobody knows how good Jones and Ibby will be next year.  Nobody know how much Hall and Jones would have improved over the summer or how well they would have meshed with perhaps more talented younger players.  Nobody knows what our biggest holes will be with so many new faces.  Nobody knows if continuity is better or a reset in team chemistry was needed.

Right.  Last season, I was confident coming in we'd win around 23 games with a standard deviation of around 2.  Next season, I'd peg us at about 18 wins win an s.d. of around 5.  Much more uncertainty.

Kevin McPherson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 04:58:46 pm »

Like others have said, recruiting Dan Gaffod back to Fayetteville for his sophomore season was a huge win in the spring. He left guaranteed NBA money on the table to be a Hog.

Losing Hall was big, I projected him (based on size, length, athleticism, bball IQ, skills, and toughness) to eventually be All SEC caliber (similar to the path of Michael Qualls, who developed). Losing CJ Jones might be felt intially with 8 new players, but he was really always a mid-major trying to develop into more than that.

I like what I see in Mason Jones on tape ... comes out No. 6 ranking in juco after only a freshman season of playing (most who are ranked were sophomores) ... he's got 3 years to develop and play. I consider this to be at worst an equitable swap for CJJones, for lack of a better way to phrase it, and potentially much more than that.

Ibby Ali is a project, but he'll have 5 years to play 4 ... you can't teach 6-10, 235, athletic with 7-4 wingspan ... when I covered him as a HS senior in 2016-17 at Maumelle, he showed clusters of big-play ability = blocking shots, dunking, and rebounding. He was very raw then, but I'm intrigued knowing that working with Sunday Adebayo for a year had coaches from Arkansas, Baylor (where he originally committed and signed), Georgetown, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Utah, Tulane and others flocking to watch him work out. I'm told all those schools offered.

We're talking about what Arkansas accomplished in the spring, but you have to also consider what the Hogs did in the fall to get perspective on what they needed to accomplish in the spring. Signing a solid 6-man class in the early period that included 5 Top 150 players was a solid haul that covered backcourt and frontcourt departures and needs, so Arkansas was not truly in a scramble mode in the spring even when Hall and Jones left. In other words, losing Hall hurts, but NOT getting a similar player at his position in the spring is not as big a deal because of getting Jordan Phillips (6-6 / 6-7) in the early period. I'm not saying Phillips will be as good, but he was rated higher coming out of HS than Hall.

We still don't know the status of Khalil Garland, although the longer he goes without being cleared, the more the odds seem to be against it that he will be. But that is not a recruiting or personnel fail on the part of the staff no matter how you slice it.

Overall, I think Arkansas did well in the spring given the transfer of 2 players. I won't sugarcoat anything to suggest that entering 2018-19 with only 3 returning players with experience as Hogs last season is NOT a concern, because it is. The SEC is a strong basketball league now, and even with Hall and CJJones the Hogs were going with a minimum of 7 new players in '18-19 (or 8 if KG got cleared).

I'd give the Hogs an A-minus for the spring. Would have been a B, but getting a mid-1st-rounder (possibly a back-end lottery pick) to return is like landing a Top 10ish 5-star.

ChopSooie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:13 pm »

I'm absolutely excited about Fall 2018 and if we add Corliss Williamson to the coaching staff, I'll be over the top.

Is this a possibility?

batmanfan

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2018, 11:03:37 pm »

Like others have said, recruiting Dan Gaffod back to Fayetteville for his sophomore season was a huge win in the spring. He left guaranteed NBA money on the table to be a Hog.

Losing Hall was big, I projected him (based on size, length, athleticism, bball IQ, skills, and toughness) to eventually be All SEC caliber (similar to the path of Michael Qualls, who developed). Losing CJ Jones might be felt intially with 8 new players, but he was really always a mid-major trying to develop into more than that.

I like what I see in Mason Jones on tape ... comes out No. 6 ranking in juco after only a freshman season of playing (most who are ranked were sophomores) ... he's got 3 years to develop and play. I consider this to be at worst an equitable swap for CJJones, for lack of a better way to phrase it, and potentially much more than that.

Ibby Ali is a project, but he'll have 5 years to play 4 ... you can't teach 6-10, 235, athletic with 7-4 wingspan ... when I covered him as a HS senior in 2016-17 at Maumelle, he showed clusters of big-play ability = blocking shots, dunking, and rebounding. He was very raw then, but I'm intrigued knowing that working with Sunday Adebayo for a year had coaches from Arkansas, Baylor (where he originally committed and signed), Georgetown, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Utah, Tulane and others flocking to watch him work out. I'm told all those schools offered.

We're talking about what Arkansas accomplished in the spring, but you have to also consider what the Hogs did in the fall to get perspective on what they needed to accomplish in the spring. Signing a solid 6-man class in the early period that included 5 Top 150 players was a solid haul that covered backcourt and frontcourt departures and needs, so Arkansas was not truly in a scramble mode in the spring even when Hall and Jones left. In other words, losing Hall hurts, but NOT getting a similar player at his position in the spring is not as big a deal because of getting Jordan Phillips (6-6 / 6-7) in the early period. I'm not saying Phillips will be as good, but he was rated higher coming out of HS than Hall.

We still don't know the status of Khalil Garland, although the longer he goes without being cleared, the more the odds seem to be against it that he will be. But that is not a recruiting or personnel fail on the part of the staff no matter how you slice it.

Overall, I think Arkansas did well in the spring given the transfer of 2 players. I won't sugarcoat anything to suggest that entering 2018-19 with only 3 returning players with experience as Hogs last season is NOT a concern, because it is. The SEC is a strong basketball league now, and even with Hall and CJJones the Hogs were going with a minimum of 7 new players in '18-19 (or 8 if KG got cleared).

I'd give the Hogs an A-minus for the spring. Would have been a B, but getting a mid-1st-rounder (possibly a back-end lottery pick) to return is like landing a Top 10ish 5-star.

Kev any chance you could see this Ali workout? As you said these workouts must have been something else if those schools came down to LR and offered

nwahogfan1

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 09:04:17 am »

I totally agree with you on Hall.  Also  C.J. had potential but never showed it when needed especially in SEC games.  So what we lost can be easily replaced.  Mason is a long 3 we needed who can shoot and score.  I do not think he is as athletic as Hall but he can score and rebound and we have others who can fill the athletic role.  We needed a big man for a back up to Gafford depth and very importantly for practice to Gafford.  I agree  Ibby needs to develop but if he wants it and works hard he will be a very good late signing period pick up because he fit a position of much need.   

So IMO we have some very good players coming in that IMO are as good or better than Hall.  If Garland can play that would be icing on the cake but I have serious doubts there.

What Mike needs to do in the Fall is identify 10-11 players who can play this year and RS 1 or 2 who need to develop so those who need to develop get a chance and do not waste a year.   I think a good player would be least likely to transfer if he R/S than if he is wasted by playing mop up minutes in those lop sided games.

But what we need to remember is even though we signed 8 players our class was rated around 30.  Kentucky and LSU were top 5 by 247.  OUCH!   MS ST,  and Florida classes were top 20.   SEC is turning into a much better BB league.  That is good news for BB fans.    So winning 25 games just keep getting tougher and tougher. 

masbas3

• Varsity
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:38 am »

Gafford stayed, that's a huge positive because this coming season getting to the NIT might be a tough thing to accomplish.   Mike Anderson is still coach, that's a negative, despite many on here loving him as our coach, we'll never be more than what we were this past season with Mike as coach.  I like Mike as the man, never wanted him as our coach, cue the hateful comments people. 

ArkansasI

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 10:48:11 am »

This spring appears fairly symptomatic of the state of the basketball program.  Based upon the activity we've witnessed, many fans believe the program is in a state of constant flux, bordering on chaos.

Mike recruited some good basketball players that are typical of his teams - the best Arkansas players who are without elite offers elsewhere, and some nice regional players that appear to be academic reaches.

Given the production lost (Macon and Barford), it's difficult to imagine the Razorbacks will be improved.  So, as has become typical for me, it is hard to know how we'll sustain the success we've become accustomed to - not a conference championship contender, but may squeak our way into the post-season.  To Mike's credit, he consistently exceeds my expectations.  However, my expectation have become... very low.   

As a fan, I'm always excited to see what new players will bring to Fayetteville.  New players offer hope - primarily because we know that our existing talent couldn't get Arkansas into the second round of the NCAA tournament.  Hall's decision is a head-scratcher - makes me sad for all parties.  He's an Arkansas kid...  But Adrio Bailey is a similar player.  I see a push.

I hurt a little when I read hopeful comparisons to players like Powell and Qualls.  These men were good basketball players... but neither they nor the teams they played on had any conference or national relevance.  The Razorback program has fallen, and has not gotten back up.   

In golfing terms, this has been par for the course.  Too bad we're now a high handicap team.

logic

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 09:47:41 pm »

It seems sometimes that we lose as many players as Calipari does, ....problem is the ones he loses and replaces are 5*.
Bobby Portis may be the only 5 star player that Mike has recruited and signed at Arkansas; although Gafford has proven to be the equal of a 5 star player.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas