• 395,529 Topics
• 22,308 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Austin Allen be Drafted?  (Read 8171 times)

PorkSoda

Re: Will Austin Allen be Drafted?
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »

He will 100% get a UDFA deal. Casey Dick got an UDFA deal

Probably won’t make a roster. Practice squad isn’t out of the question not sure it’s likely either.

But showing his SR stats is really irrelevant considering his injuries and players around him injuries.
an his injuries are going to make him more desirable to an NFL team?  I suppose its possible there is a team out there desperately needing a 12th string QB.  but I'm not holding my breath.  nothing against AA, I hope he is successful, just being realistic.

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2018, 07:27:52 pm »

He will 100% get a UDFA deal. Casey Dick got an UDFA deal

Probably won’t make a roster. Practice squad isn’t out of the question not sure it’s likely either.

But showing his SR stats is really irrelevant considering his injuries and players around him injuries.

This has probably already been said, but Casey Dick had a better senior year than AA did. Easily in my mind.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HoginMemphis

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2018, 07:39:22 pm »

ESPN ranks him 304th of the next best players still available.  Doesn't look too promising.  No other Arkansas players are even mentioned.
I told this board months ago that AA would not be drafted. In fact, he will never see the field in the NFL...not even in pre-season as free agent.

Razorback_Mack

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 08:04:45 pm »

I told this board months ago that AA would not be drafted. In fact, he will never see the field in the NFL...not even in pre-season as free agent.
PM me let’s make a large wager.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:51 pm »

lol, what in the world makes you think austin has more talent than brandon?   

AA as a senior 56% 1427 yards 10 TD 5 INT

BA as a senior 66% 3440 yards 30 TD 8 INT

AA is not getting drafted, and will be lucky to pick up a FA deal.

there are too many good QBs on practice squads in NFL, why would anyone sign a mediocre at best QB?

no offense to AA, but I hope he got his degree and becomes successful in whatever career path he chooses.

AA as a Junior: 61%, 3430 yards, 25:15
BA as a Junior: 56%, 2285%, 20:5

Austin was clutch in the 4th quarter when we needed him while BA often choked. Austin in 2016 had a stronger arm than BA had in 2015. Where is arm is after that injury is anybody's guess. But yeah, if Austin wasn't part of a team that had a monumental collapse his senior season, I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Austin's senior stats would have surpassed that of Brandon's.

aloha_kid

• Hogvillian
  • CTMCS USN (Ret)
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2018, 08:47:38 pm »

Not all here were anti-Allen boys.  And, no, the head coach shouldn't go on about his qb's weaknesses--especially where medical conditions are concerned and if they might affect his future in the NFL.

And, it could be argued that AA's weaknesses were brought on by his coach's weaknesses.

You don't think the NFL would fully evaluate his "medical conditions?"  As long as said coach is working for another organization who is paying him to evaluate talent, he should evaluate them honestly.

aloha_kid

• Hogvillian
  • CTMCS USN (Ret)
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:11 pm »

Well have a cookie brother.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »

an his injuries are going to make him more desirable to an NFL team?  I suppose its possible there is a team out there desperately needing a 12th string QB.  but I'm not holding my breath.  nothing against AA, I hope he is successful, just being realistic.

Players get drafted all the time after suffering injuries and having their team let them down their senior year. Josh Allen had a terrible senior year, and where did that land him?

Knile Davis had half a good season with hogs in 2010, went one season without playing due to injury, and then had a terrible senior season campaign and was still a third round pick, and went on to have an above average NFL career. The way you are talking, his injuries made him more desirable and you'd probably have drafted Dennis Johnson over Knile simply due to the box score.

NFL does care to a degree about production in college, but all in all, your stat sheet is way, way, way down the list of things they care about.

Not saying Austin will go in the third round by any stretch. But Austin's first year as a starter was lightyears ahead of BA's second year as the full time starter. If he is permanently hampered by that injury, he won't even get a call after the draft. However, NFL doesn't really give a darn what you did in college, they only care about what you might do in the pros. If he is healed, he has a higher ceiling as a player than Brandon hands down. And that's all the NFL cares about.

daprospecta

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2018, 08:55:33 pm »

Dude I am so tired of your SHI*. Everything is negative with you whether it's basketball or football.  I'd ban you if I were a moderator. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were an LSU fan posing as a razorback fan. 

daprospecta

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »

Players get drafted all the time after suffering injuries and having their team let them down their senior year. Josh Allen had a terrible senior year, and where did that land him?

Knile Davis had half a good season with hogs in 2010, went one season without playing due to injury, and then had a terrible senior season campaign and was still a third round pick, and went on to have an above average NFL career. The way you are talking, his injuries made him more desirable and you'd probably have drafted Dennis Johnson over Knile simply due to the box score.

NFL does care to a degree about production in college, but all in all, your stat sheet is way, way, way down the list of things they care about.

Not saying Austin will go in the third round by any stretch. But Austin's first year as a starter was lightyears ahead of BA's second year as the full time starter. If he is permanently hampered by that injury, he won't even get a call after the draft. However, NFL doesn't really give a darn what you did in college, they only care about what you might do in the pros. If he is healed, he has a higher ceiling as a player than Brandon hands down. And that's all the NFL cares about.
Let's not forget that Knile Davis was a 1st rounder before the injury.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:35 pm »

He is healthy now so no impact. He is stats were very good as Junior. Austin only flaw is his size.

He probably won't be drafted. But he will be signed and to think he won't is just not looking at it realistically

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:52 pm »

Let's not forget that Knile Davis was a 1st rounder before the injury.

And if not a first rounder, he'd have been a high second rounder. Based off his physical tools and play as a junior, Austin was probably going to be a mid fourth to early 5th rounder before Bielema trainwrecked the 2017 season. I'd wager that now, he'd a 7th round to high priority udfa barring permanent damage to his arm.

jdlew

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 09:03:50 pm »

Unless one of these freshman are special...you are going to wish you still had one of the Allen boys..

Three and Snout

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2018, 09:16:13 pm »

PM me let’s make a large wager.

He doesn't pay his lost bets.

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »

Unless one of these freshman are special...you are going to wish you still had one of the Allen boys..

Uh no.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2018, 07:24:31 am »

He is healthy now so no impact. He is stats were very good as Junior. Austin only flaw is his size.

He probably won't be drafted. But he will be signed and to think he won't is just not looking at it realistically

AA's biggest flaw is his lack of arm strength.

King Kong

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2018, 07:29:52 am »

No, his biggest flaw is being 6 foot. Austin has a strong arm both in velocity and the deep ball.

His arm is just as strong as his brothers and I think stronger than Tyler Wilson’s in term of distance. Against Texas State he had one 48 yards in the air.

Austin also has issues with high int numbers

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:24 am »

No, his biggest flaw is being 6 foot. Austin has a strong arm both in velocity and the deep ball.

His arm is just as strong as his brothers and I think stronger than Tyler Wilson’s in term of distance.

Austin also has issues with high int numbers

No, he lacks arm strength. Tyler has a much stronger arm but Petrino's firing and playing under Smiley hurt him.

King Kong

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2018, 07:38:33 am »

No, he lacks arm strength. Tyler has a much stronger arm but Petrino's firing and playing under Smiley hurt him.

Trent Dilfer in the draft showed Highlights said Tyler Wilson writes checks his arm just can’t cash.

Austin was throwing the ball 48 yards in the air against Texas State.

50 yards in the Air to Jordan Jones vs Missouri with shoulder not 100%

Dominicanhog

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2018, 08:12:52 am »

No way... we can be just as bad without them...

Dominicanhog

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2018, 08:16:58 am »

biggest flaw is, He's just not that good.. he does not anticipate a receiver coming open, and he definitely can't throw a receiver open.. his long ball was never very good..

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2018, 08:31:07 am »

biggest flaw is, He's just not that good.. he does not anticipate a receiver coming open, and he definitely can't throw a receiver open.. his long ball was never very good..

Good enough to lead the SEC in passing yards as Junior.

Listen he isn't the greatest QB ever and probably won't get drafted. But the critic above is just not accurate from a college level perspective.

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2018, 08:57:28 am »

This has probably already been said, but Casey Dick had a better senior year than AA did. Easily in my mind.

Did he? In 11 games Casey threw for 2586 yards 57% and 13 tds to 14 ints and was benched for his brother at one point.

Austin in 8 games was 1427 yards 56% with 10 tds to 5 ints.

Casey had a better final game.

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2018, 09:07:49 am »

Trent Dilfer in the draft showed Highlights said Tyler Wilson writes checks his arm just can’t cash.

Austin was throwing the ball 48 yards in the air against Texas State.

50 yards in the Air to Jordan Jones vs Missouri with shoulder not 100%

His TD versus Ole Piss was around 50 yards in the air as well. Released it from around Arkansas's 42 yard line and hit Reed around the 8-6 yard line

HoginMemphis

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2018, 09:49:20 am »

Bingo. Tended to look down primary receiver. Not accurate. Not consistent. Would go 13 of 15 in 1st half with no INT's, 2 or 3 TD passes and have his team up by 3 TD's. Then come out in 2nd half and go 5 for 20 with 3 INT's. How many times did he do that vs average competition? He was never going to be drafted. He would be a career scout team QB in the NFL if some team would pay him $40K a year to do that. He could make more $ coaching. He will never see a professional football field in pads and helmet.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 04:39:31 pm »

Patriots just drafted Danny Etling out of LSU.

So, I'd say there's a massive chance that Austin's injury did have permanent, lasting damage.

hogfan14

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2018, 07:13:42 pm »

Allen will sign a UDFA deal with the Buccaneers

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:51 pm »

Well, as expected by most of us here, Austin wasn't drafted.

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Senior
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2018, 08:10:43 pm »

Well, as expected by most of us here, Austin wasn't drafted.
Great prediction, feel better?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2018, 08:17:57 pm »

Austin Allen was offered a contract with the Tamba Bay Bucs

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2018, 08:29:18 pm »

Patriots just drafted Danny Etling out of LSU.

So, I'd say there's a massive chance that Austin's injury did have permanent, lasting damage.

Perplexing pick by Belichick. 

Yes, he needed a back-up QB to get ready for when Brady retires, but Belichick could have got a better QB earlier in the draft (for instance, Mason Rudolph, who is probably really a 1st Round type talent QB).  Belichick traded his 1st pick in the 2nd Round so that he could get picks in the 4th and 5th Rounds, but Belichick had a 2nd pick later in the 2nd Round that he could have used to get Rudolph.

Of course, the wise and savvy Steelers ended up getting Rudolph.

Etling is not a very good QB.

jdlew

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:00 am »

No way... we can be just as bad without them...

So your saying Kelley and Story are going to be better than BA and AA...

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2018, 10:30:05 am »

Perplexing pick by Belichick. 

Yes, he needed a back-up QB to get ready for when Brady retires, but Belichick could have got a better QB earlier in the draft (for instance, Mason Rudolph, who is probably really a 1st Round type talent QB).  Belichick traded his 1st pick in the 2nd Round so that he could get picks in the 4th and 5th Rounds, but Belichick had a 2nd pick later in the 2nd Round that he could have used to get Rudolph.

Of course, the wise and savvy Steelers ended up getting Rudolph.

Etling is not a very good QB.

Rudolph was not a first round talent. He has a good deep ball and an NFL arm for sure. However, he had a slower release than any of the first rounders and way worse consistency issues.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:10 pm »

Did he? In 11 games Casey threw for 2586 yards 57% and 13 tds to 14 ints and was benched for his brother at one point.

Austin in 8 games was 1427 yards 56% with 10 tds to 5 ints.

Casey had a better final game.

Looks like it to me

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2018, 12:24:57 pm »

Looks like it to me

More games played by Casey less TD's per game and double the ints per game and a lower QB ranking.

I see it differently

Razorback_Mack

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2018, 12:33:49 pm »

Uh no.
BA had the highest QBR in the country his Sr year. If you don’t want that you’re a moron.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2018, 12:41:27 pm »

Good enough to lead the SEC in passing yards as Junior.

Listen he isn't the greatest QB ever and probably won't get drafted. But the critic above is just not accurate from a college level perspective.
He has never been the same post Auburn 16, he was good but not great, all the scouting reports say same thing, holds ball too long, doesn't anticipate throws, etc. He showed really well in his bowl game, but he has to be way better than he has shown to get a real shot at his size. It would surprise me if he made a practice squad.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2018, 01:09:27 pm »

Many of us said he wouldn't be drafted. Bingo. Some said he wouldn't even sniff an UDFA deal. Swing and a miss.

I said he'd get a deal as an UDFA, took about an hour after the draft. IF AA is healthy, he might make the practice squad in Tampa. They don't have any QBs I know of past Winston and Fitzpatrick. It was the best place for him to have a chance.

These "AA has a weak arm" debates are silly. His arm is strong enough. His problem is decision making. Takes too many sacks, throws too many picks.

Yes, his line allowed him to get hit way too much here, but AA's biggest flaw is holding the ball too long, not making quick decisions and good decisions. No one has any business questioning his toughness, that is his #1 attribute..

PS: the only other QB now on the Bucs roster other than Famous Jameis and FitzpatrINTk is Ryan Griffin, a 5th year pro out of Tulane. Never heard of him, but I'm sure he has stuck around 4 years for a reason. He would at least know the system.

Fitz is 35, so if he was to get pushed out, the bad news for AA is they also signed Riley Ferguson out of Memphis. AA is a longshot, might make the practice squad..
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:34:09 pm by SooieGeneris »

HoginMemphis

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2018, 06:36:48 pm »

He has never been the same post Auburn 16, he was good but not great, all the scouting reports say same thing, holds ball too long, doesn't anticipate throws, etc. He showed really well in his bowl game, but he has to be way better than he has shown to get a real shot at his size. It would surprise me if he made a practice squad.
He will not make a practice squad. Simply not good enough. And he will certainly never see the field in the NFL.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2018, 06:45:58 pm »

Rudolph was not a first round talent. He has a good deep ball and an NFL arm for sure. However, he had a slower release than any of the first rounders and way worse consistency issues.

Rudolph is a solid QB.

The wise and savvy Steelers may have just got the heir apparent to Roethlisberger.  The Patriots got basically a failure QB from LSU.

It will also help the Steelers that they got WR James Washington, who Rudolph operates very well with in the passing game.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2018, 06:49:40 pm »

Rudolph is a solid QB.

The wise and savvy Steelers may have just got the heir apparent to Roethlisberger.  The Patriots got basically a failure QB from LSU.

It will also help the Steelers that they got WR James Washington, who Rudolph operates very well with in the passing game.

Cousins was a solid qb too, but he too wasn't first round material. Sure, he developed into a fine starting qb in the NFL and it is possible the same could happen for Rudolph in time. However, in terms of resume, production, and potential, Rudolph was drafted right where he should have been.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2018, 06:55:37 pm »

Cousins was a solid qb too, but he too wasn't first round material. Sure, he developed into a fine starting qb in the NFL and it is possible the same could happen for Rudolph in time. However, in terms of resume, production, and potential, Rudolph was drafted right where he should have been.

Rudolph won a lot of games at Oklahoma State.  He was at least a 2nd round talent.

It was an interesting draft.  Mike Tomlin and Andy Reid schooled other AFC draft pickers.  Derrick Nnadi, who Reid got is a very good run stopper.  Reid also got Tremon Smith from UCA, who ran a 4.32 during his Pro Day.  That would have been tied for the fastest for any CB at the Combine.  Additionally, Reid got Dorian O'Daniel from Clemson, who is a very good tackler.

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »

The Pro Football Hall of Fame says that there have been 11 sets of brothers who have each been quarterbacks in the NFL in its near 100 year history.  Austin will have a tough row to hoe and Brandon's got to make the Rams again this season, but I hope that between them they can become the 12th set.  That's rarefied air even if they only would each make the scout team for a year or two (averaging about $1,000,000 apiece between them in NFL money).  (BTW, on this same list there have only been 4 sets of the aforementioned brothers who were in high school at the same time as well (the McCowns, Huards, Hasselbecks and Sternamans).)

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/1/6/Brothers_Mar_10_2015.pdf

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:50 am »

Good for AA going to TAMPA!

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2018, 09:31:57 am »

I think someone will grab Austin and Henre Toliver in the last round. I really hope Ragnow isn't the only one drafted this weekend.

0-2 on this one.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2018, 10:13:11 am »

According to many, including BA, AA was coming on very strong at the end of his sophomore year to the point that BA feared he would be beat out.  He tended to take more chances than his older brother, and when you combine that with playing behind an uncoached offensive line, you tend to throw more interceptions and have lower stats your senior year.  I figure he will catch on with the Bucs, and spend a year as the 3, rarely dressing out, and then possible push for the #2 spot his second year.  5-6 years as a backup in the NFL is a very dream career.

We don't always know what's going on behind the scenes. He had several reasons to have a subpar season. 

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2018, 11:42:07 am »

Better chance being drafted by the Army than the NFL.

Certainly does not mean he will not play!

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 12:13:57 pm »

A Tampa Bay beat writer says that Austin Allen has been kept on the Buccaneers' 90 man roster instead of his main rookie competition, Memphis' Riley Ferguson.  Still going to be tough for him to make the final 57, but he's hanging in there until the final preseason game, it appears.  More power to him.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2018, 03:32:25 pm »

A Tampa Bay beat writer says that Austin Allen has been kept on the Buccaneers' 90 man roster instead of his main rookie competition, Memphis' Riley Ferguson.  Still going to be tough for him to make the final 57, but he's hanging in there until the final preseason game, it appears.  More power to him.

When you are a UDFA making the 53 man roster is very tough. Lucky for AA he wasn't drafted and litterally picked one of the few best opportunities he could ever ask for.  Practice squad now pays a minimum of $7200 per week so making $120k to work on your craft is an outstanding opportunity as well. If I'm a UDFA I'm thinking of it in terms of making the 63, while making the 53 would be like hitting the lottery.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:57:17 pm by k.c.hawg »

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »

"QBs Coach Mike Bajakian on undrafted rookie QB Austin Allen: Highly intelligent, prepared to run a pro-style offense. The skill set is there; just needs to learn." - Scott Smith - Senior writer/editor for the Tampa Bay Bucs, ostensibly on why they chose to keep him on the roster and not Riley Ferguson (a Summa Cum Laude graduate of U Memphis, BTW).

https://twitter.com/ScottSBucs
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas