• 396,453 Topics
• 22,589 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Austin Allen be Drafted?  (Read 9933 times)

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
Re: Will Austin Allen be Drafted?
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2018, 12:59:59 am »

Did he? In 11 games Casey threw for 2586 yards 57% and 13 tds to 14 ints and was benched for his brother at one point.

Austin in 8 games was 1427 yards 56% with 10 tds to 5 ints.

Casey had a better final game.

Scoteboard?

OPoraquê

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2018, 02:35:46 pm »

Bucs rookie QB Austin Allen, shown with RB Ronald Jones, got the second-largest guaranteed money among the Bucs' undrafted rookies.(MONICA HERNDON | Times)

The Bucs have had great success in finding talent in undrafted rookies in recent years, and they paid out more than $250,000 in guaranteed money to undrafted rookies this year, hoping to continue the trend.

The biggest bonus, and among the largest for any undrafted rookie in the league this year, was $105,000 to Northwestern safety Godwin Igwebuike, who got a $20,000 signing bonus and $85,000 of base salary guaranteed. That could cover most of the season on practice squad, even if he didn't make the team's initial 53-man roster.

— QB Austin Allen of Arkansas, who will go to training camp as the Bucs' No. 4 quarterback behind three returning veterans, got a combined $50,000 to sign with Tampa Bay. Allen got a $15,000 signing bonus and $35,000 in base salary guaranteed.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/05/28/bucs-paid-over-250000-guaranteed-to-2018-undrafted-rookies/

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:47:59 pm by OPoraquê »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldfart

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2018, 08:46:48 am »

good for austin

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »

good for austin

Yep. Maybe they can keep the gorillas out of his grill long enough for him to sharpen some skills.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2018, 09:52:15 am »

$35,000 will not be enough for him to live on in the Tampa Bay area, especially when he is getting the snot knocked out of him as the dummy bag for the starting defense.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2018, 10:00:49 am »

$35,000 will not be enough for him to live on in the Tampa Bay area, especially when he is getting the snot knocked out of him as the dummy bag for the starting defense.

1. Did you miss the $50,000 figure? Did you also miss the word "base" in "base salary?"
2. Do you really think scout team QBs in today's NFL are just cannon fodder and actually take hits from the 1st team defense?
3. Per NFL rules, for the 2017 season, practice squad players could make no less than $7,200 per week, which equates to $122,400 for the season. So if he makes the practice squad, I'm sure he'll have enough to live on in the Tampa Bay area.

Whole lotta "sheesh" in your post.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2018, 02:10:55 pm »

1. Did you miss the $50,000 figure? Did you also miss the word "base" in "base salary?"
2. Do you really think scout team QBs in today's NFL are just cannon fodder and actually take hits from the 1st team defense?
3. Per NFL rules, for the 2017 season, practice squad players could make no less than $7,200 per week, which equates to $122,400 for the season. So if he makes the practice squad, I'm sure he'll have enough to live on in the Tampa Bay area.

Whole lotta "sheesh" in your post.
The $50K was the $35K annual salary + the one time signing bonus of $15,000. So I did not miss anything. As 4th team QB, he'll be a perennial scout teamer until he decides to stop trying to make the NFL field.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2018, 02:13:59 pm »

The $50K was the $35K annual salary + the one time signing bonus of $15,000. So I did not miss anything. As 4th team QB, he'll be a perennial scout teamer until he decides to stop trying to make the NFL field.

He'll also be making at least $122k to be around football and, unlike what you said, not getting teed off on by the starting defense.

"Hey Austin, stick around, hang around an NFL team and learn from NFL talent, run the scout team offense while still working out with the team, learning the offense, playing in some preseason, and have an outside shot at making a few gameday rosters. We won't let you get beat up while you run the scout team, and we'll pay you at least $122k a season to do all that."

Not a bad gig if you ask me.

sickboy

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2018, 02:22:46 pm »

It's a 50K check to try out for the team. If he actually makes the squad or practice squad, his contract is subject to the same rookie wage scale as all rookies. So if Allen isn't on the practice squad, he'll be guaranteed roughly 570K/year and as RyanMallets(Massive)Ego pointed out, he's dude 123K/year there.

So it's a pretty good deal. Make the team and you're set. Don't make the team and you got paid 50K to try out.

I think it's funny that you're begrudging a kid for trying to make an NFL squad. Could you even walk onto a football field without losing your breath?

HoginMemphis

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2018, 03:19:32 pm »

It's a 50K check to try out for the team. If he actually makes the squad or practice squad, his contract is subject to the same rookie wage scale as all rookies. So if Allen isn't on the practice squad, he'll be guaranteed roughly 570K/year and as RyanMallets(Massive)Ego pointed out, he's dude 123K/year there.

So it's a pretty good deal. Make the team and you're set. Don't make the team and you got paid 50K to try out.

I think it's funny that you're begrudging a kid for trying to make an NFL squad. Could you even walk onto a football field without losing your breath?
You use a lot of different terms: team, squad, practice squad. I do not think you are sure what you are talking about.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2018, 03:24:42 pm »

You use a lot of different terms: team, squad, practice squad. I do not think you are sure what you are talking about.

Nah, he does. You don't, and now you're trying to cover it up.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2018, 04:29:08 pm »

HiM seems to be getting lit up here by a couple heavy hitters...and I'm pretty sure he's not getting a guaranteed $50k for the privilege!!

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:48 pm »

(Regardless of what happens, Austin Allen got 1/5 of the Bucs' UDFA signing money, 2nd highest in that category on the current team.  There were originally two other quarterbacks on Tampa Bay's UDFA list, one from the MAC and Riley Ferguson from Memphis, who had gaudier stats and a better won/loss record than AA ended up with as an Arkansas starter.  Given that Ferguson graduated summa cum laude and #1 in his UM December graduating class I wouldn't think character was an issue, but neither he nor the MAC guy are in the Bucs' camp anymore. Someone speculated that given Paxton Lynch's first year performance in "the league" that the American Athletic Conference is seen as a far different barometer for NFL readiness than America's toughest Division I conference the SEC West.  AA's already won some small battles others mightn't have given him a chance on...landing even on a practice squad will be tough but the TB QB coach says young Mr. Allen has the intelligence and the ability to run a pro offense, and just needs more time to learn.  We'll see, but more power to him already.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:05:40 pm by OPoraquê »

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2018, 09:46:05 pm »

Only a very small percentage of players in CFB make it as far as AA already has, but don't let that destroy the Hogville expert narrative that he and his older brother "suck" and only started due to their last name.

If only every CFB staff in America had not been involved in a "deep state" conspiracy to keep poor Rafe Peavey down, he would have been the surefire #1 pick in the 2019 NFL draft.

As to the words quoted above, anyone who uses either of the terms in quote automatically gets 30 IQ points deducted...

HoginMemphis

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2018, 10:34:23 pm »

Only a very small percentage of players in CFB make it as far as AA already has, but don't let that destroy the Hogville expert narrative that he and his older brother "suck" and only started due to their last name.

If only every CFB staff in America had not been involved in a "deep state" conspiracy to keep poor Rafe Peavey down, he would have been the surefire #1 pick in the 2019 NFL draft.

As to the words quoted above, anyone who uses either of the terms in quote automatically gets 30 IQ points deducted...
My answer to the question that began this thread was "no way" back in the fall during the season. I was right.

This thread has now devolved into how much income he will get if he makes the practice squad as an undrafted free agent. Typical.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2018, 10:40:38 pm »

My answer to the question that began this thread was "no way" back in the fall during the season. I was right.

This thread has now devolved into how much income he will get if he makes the practice squad as an undrafted free agent. Typical.

How much was your "I was right" prediction worth? Was it worth $122k a year?

Care to use those astounding prediction skills and predict the upcoming Powerball numbers, Nostradamus?

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2018, 11:08:06 am »

you make less sense than a drunk hobo at an intersection.

Here, I'll lay it out for you in 2nd grade terms:

Your prediction that Austin Allen would not be drafted amounts to absolutely nothing.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2018, 01:38:03 pm »

Here, I'll lay it out for you in 2nd grade terms:

Your prediction that Austin Allen would not be drafted amounts to absolutely nothing.
I already knew that. You needed to lay it out in your own simple words so you could properly grasp its meaning.

Most were saying he would be drafted, as his brother was. I said from the get-go he would not be drafted. I was right...once again.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2018, 01:40:55 pm »

I already knew that. You needed to lay it out in your own simple words so you could properly grasp its meaning.

Most were saying he would be drafted, as his brother was. I said from the get-go he would not be drafted. I was right...once again.

Awesome. Congrats on guessing correctly on a 50-50 outcome.

What's your reward? Do you get Hogville points? Can you redeem those for anything?

HoginMemphis

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2018, 07:15:05 pm »

Awesome. Congrats on guessing correctly on a 50-50 outcome.

What's your reward? Do you get Hogville points? Can you redeem those for anything?
You're wrong. I'm right. That is all that matters.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2018, 09:24:55 pm »

You're wrong. I'm right. That is all that matters.

Where did I ever say he'd be drafted?

I'll save you a click. I never did. I just disproved your idiotic statement that he "wouldn't make enough to live on in Tampa Bay."

bjl

• Varsity
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2018, 08:38:41 am »

I said he would not be drafted when most here were predicting he would. I do not care what you said. I don't ever read your comments. They are useless.
General question/follow up.
How can you say that(bolded above), yet you replied to each of them in succession?  the two are mutually exclusive...

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2018, 09:04:25 am »

General question/follow up.
How can you say that(bolded above), yet you replied to each of them in succession?  the two are mutually exclusive...

HiM is confused. Poor guy.

johnfanman

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2018, 06:20:34 pm »

Austin Allen didn't develop enough in college to play in the NFL. His brother developed much more and was consistent. The O-line was part of that, but the other was coaching and self-determination.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2018, 06:28:34 pm »

Austin Allen didn't develop enough in college to play in the NFL. His brother developed much more and was consistent. The O-line was part of that, but the other was coaching and self-determination.
It was a no brainer after his senior year to know that he would not even be on the radar of any NFL team for draft purposes.

Three and Snout

« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2018, 09:30:57 pm »

a no brainer

Right in your wheelhouse!

Leadbelly

• Varsity
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2018, 10:13:54 pm »

Right in your wheelhouse!

That’s the line of the month!

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:44 am »

Austin Allen's nickname (given to him by "the Rookie Scouting Portfolio"): "The scorpion"

I’m not an expert on animal fables but one fable that has always stuck with me is The Scorpion and the Frog.  Essentially a scorpion asks a frog to take him across a river. The frog is doesn’t want to because he fears the scorpion will sting him. The scorpion promises he won’t. The frog agrees to give him a ride to the other side however the scorpion stings the frog halfway across the river killing them both.

Austin Allen of the University of Arkansas is the scorpion. Specifically, Allen is rather destructive to a defense when he can set up his passing game with run plays and play action. The flip side of that is that the defense is the frog. Allen’s game outside of play-action is pedestrian. A defense that can take away his penchant for finding voids in coverage off of play-action can go a long way in neutralizing a looming threat.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/06/05/tampa-bay-qb-austin-allen-the-scorpion/

HogPharmer

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2018, 11:09:19 am »

HoginMemphis

« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2018, 12:37:44 pm »

Default for an immature mind when you have lost the argument.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2018, 12:42:35 pm »

Austin Allen's nickname (given to him by "the Rookie Scouting Portfolio"): "The scorpion"

Sharp contrast from the tortoise and the hare fable...

HogPharmer

« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2018, 03:44:22 pm »

Default for an immature mind when you have lost the argument.

How did I lose? I wasn't even involved in the argument. I simply made an (obvious) observation.

You really are too stupid to insult...

Hogindasticks

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2018, 07:01:14 pm »

I really wish this post would just go away

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2018, 10:15:38 pm »

Sharp contrast from the tortoise and the hare fable...

Among what monies he's picked up from Tampa Bay, young Mr. AA may have acquired the coolest nickname to date among the NFL rookies of 2018.

HoginMemphis

« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:22 pm »

How did I lose? I wasn't even involved in the argument. I simply made an (obvious) observation.

You really are too stupid to insult...
Boy, you are lost.

OPoraquê

• Varsity
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2018, 07:34:42 pm »

Probably won't affect his roster status, but Austin "the Scorpion" Allen keeps catching some (for him) good breaks.  That's good, after all the bad ones he endured last season:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23866542/tampa-bay-buccaneers-quarterback-jameis-winston-suspended-first-three-games

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2018, 10:18:39 pm »

Yes, AA might get to be the 3rd QB for an NFL team for at least 3 games. The Hogville experts may not be impressed, but how many guys who have played CFB ever do that? The pct. is very small.

If he gets bumped down to the practice squad when Winston comes back, that's still something to tell future grandkids.. Ryan Fitzpatrick may have grandkids now..

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2018, 07:37:11 am »

Boy, you are lost.
You are sooo petty. Give it a rest. I have been around too many people with the same attitude "I am right, you are wrong". I just shut them down with facts. Since I don't  keep up with the NFL I won't  comment on it.

wildhogman

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2018, 01:36:28 pm »

You are sooo petty. Give it a rest. I have been around too many people with the same attitude "I am right, you are wrong". I just shut them down with facts. Since I don't  keep up with the NFL I won't  comment on it.
The thing that caught my eye though all this back and forth.  1 AA made an NFL team in some fashion which already accomplishes more then a lot do in their careers. 
2 the amount he would make just being in the team. I am too lazy to look it up but it seems like over 100K. Prolly twice as much a year as half the people in this thread makes. 
3 The idiots searching for a way to pooh poo anything a former razorback does all the whil proclaiming to be a fan.  (looking at you HiM and Alboringland. 
Pitiful

King Kong

« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2018, 08:02:13 am »

I told this board months ago that AA would not be drafted. In fact, he will never see the field in the NFL...not even in pre-season as free agent.

Well, as normal you were wrong.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401031002

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2018, 09:05:05 am »

You have no idea what you're talking about,  he'll be making around 123,000 a year practicing to make the team, not a bad gig if you ask me.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401031002

And you said he'd never play in a preseason game, well, someone named Austin Allen did then.

Hogvillage Idiot

• Senior
  • Doing my best to live up to my name.
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2018, 09:46:43 am »

wpswillriseagain

• Varsity
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2018, 10:32:22 am »

It bewilders me that some still think Austin and Brandon sucked. If I was hit as many times as Austin I would probably not have the best stats either.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2018, 01:26:45 pm »

There are a whole lot of college graduates not making that much.

UA1985

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2018, 02:07:38 pm »

You didn't lose. HiM has a knack for concocting imaginary victories (usually in petty, trivial matters) to feed his need for affirmation (he needs to boost his ego). Just ignore his self-aggrandizing claims.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »

You didn't lose. HiM has a knack for concocting imaginary victories (usually in petty, trivial matters) to feed his need for affirmation (he needs to boost his ego). Just ignore his self-aggrandizing claims.

+1 for all those good words.  You lost lots of us early on by not spelling it "loose."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas