Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by k.c.hawg on 23 Apr 2018
  • to announce their recommendations to the NCAA on changes. Many hints are leaking out that it will restrict July recruiting period and push a lot more of the contact towards the school year. Also some rumors that 3rd party payments/endorsements could be relaxed. (Not sure I believe this will happen but the "Committee Chair" has indicated that some of these kids need some financial help. Stream will be on @NCAA on twitter. Maybe an ESPN broadcast or stream as well if interested.

They are lobbying hard to get the one and done out of their product. I still think that might not happen until an NBA cba comes up, however I'm fully convinced this is a done deal, if it's in 19, 20 or 21.
  • #2 by parallaxpig on 23 Apr 2018
  • to announce their recommendations to the NCAA on changes. Many hints are leaking out that it will restrict July recruiting period and push a lot more of the contact towards the school year. Also some rumors that 3rd party payments/endorsements could be relaxed. (Not sure I believe this will happen but the "Committee Chair" has indicated that some of these kids need some financial help. Stream will be on @NCAA on twitter. Maybe an ESPN broadcast or stream as well if interested.

They are lobbying hard to get the one and done out of their product. I still think that might not happen until an NBA cba comes up, however I'm fully convinced this is a done deal, if it's in 19, 20 or 21.

NCAA can get rid of one and done without Player union approval. Kids can go play in Europe if they donít want to commit to 2-3 years in college.
  • #3 by k.c.hawg on 23 Apr 2018
  • NCAA can get rid of one and done without Player union approval. Kids can go play in Europe if they donít want to commit to 2-3 years in college.

Tell me how the NCAA can get rid of it?????
  • #4 by k.c.hawg on 23 Apr 2018
  • I guess maybe you figured out, they can't. It would require the NBA to change their rule.
  • #5 by parallaxpig on 23 Apr 2018
  • I guess maybe you figured out, they can't. It would require the NBA to change their rule.

True, didnít think it thru.
  • #6 by East TN HAWG on 24 Apr 2018
  • NCAA can get rid of one and done without Player union approval. Kids can go play in Europe if they don’t want to commit to 2-3 years in college.

I don't think getting rid of the one and dones will fix the problem.  The pressure to win on the college level will be just as high.  It is the pressure to win that drives coaches to cheat.  The "additional" money for college will simply move on to the next level of players.   

• #7 by azhog10 on 24 Apr 2018
  • Moving recruitment out of July will be interesting. It could cause a shift in high school sports. You may see club take a strong hold and high school basketball start to fizzle out. Those clubs have made a business off recruiting kids and using the live periods to push their product and fill their pockets.

Having only the june live period could heavily impact that. As a high school coach, I love the idea but I am worried what it may do when clubs aren't seeing the revenue stream they are used to. It will also be much more costly to recruit for high school coaches. With live periods they can go to one city and see hundreds of kids that they want to recruit. Now they are going to have to be much more targeted and I can see many kids slipping through the cracks.
  • #8 by k.c.hawg on 24 Apr 2018
  • Moving recruitment out of July will be interesting. It could cause a shift in high school sports. You may see club take a strong hold and high school basketball start to fizzle out. Those clubs have made a business off recruiting kids and using the live periods to push their product and fill their pockets.

Having only the june live period could heavily impact that. As a high school coach, I love the idea but I am worried what it may do when clubs aren't seeing the revenue stream they are used to. It will also be much more costly to recruit for high school coaches. With live periods they can go to one city and see hundreds of kids that they want to recruit. Now they are going to have to be much more targeted and I can see many kids slipping through the cracks.

It would make Nolan happy.....seeing the "flesh peddlers" pushed out.
  • #9 by ErieHog on 24 Apr 2018
  • NCAA can get rid of one and done without Player union approval. Kids can go play in Europe if they donít want to commit to 2-3 years in college.

The NCAA really can't.   The policy is the NBA's regarding who it opts to employ, not the NCAA's to restrict people from pursuing employment.
  • #10 by Kevin on 24 Apr 2018
  • this will all be cosmetic. total bull
  • #11 by k.c.hawg on 24 Apr 2018
  • this will all be cosmetic. total bull

We will see. The committee does not appear to be the kind of people that would go cosmetic. Many only joined the committee after Emmert committed to substantive change. Some changes might be made that people don't see as being big but that could be huge. If they actually alter the July contact period substantially it could be a massive change. That has been hinted at by some insiders but seems almost not doable in today's recruiting world.
  • #12 by k.c.hawg on 24 Apr 2018
  • Will there be changes based off the suggestions presented by the commission? Almost certainly. Will those changes be enough to alter the sport in any easily identifiable way? Weíll have to wait and see.

The commissionís suggestions arenít going to be rubber stamped, but Emmert has stated multiple times in recent months that he had to convince every member that this wouldnít just be window dressing.

ďJust to be blunt about it, you donít waste Condoleezza Riceís time if youíre not serious about it,Ē Emmert said last Friday.

The NCAA would need the help of the NBA and its players association to collectively bargain any change to the one and done rule. Any significant overhaul to the current structure of grassroots basketball leagues or apparel companies and their relationships with NCAA institutions would also require significant assistance.

If nothing else, the commissionís suggestions seem likely to give us at least a few tweaks to a current system that most agree is in desperate need of tweaking. It also could serve as a jumping off point for a broader dialogue that results in more sweeping changes for a sport that finds itself in a position where sweeping change seems to be its only option.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/4/24/17269656/college-basketball-commission-rule-changes-one-and-done-condi-rice-mark-emmert-nba
  • #13 by Kevin on 24 Apr 2018
  • why did emmert need a commission? because he is worthless & weak as a leader
  • #14 by k.c.hawg on 24 Apr 2018
  • why did emmert need a commission? because he is worthless & weak as a leader

Yeah, that he is. The same could be asked of why does he need a committee to select the tournament teams. When you are dealing with a wide variety of issues many of which are social issues in nature that have been the subject of major criticism in the media, unpopular issues such as cutting potential revenue to schools by limiting shoe company participation, reducing the influence of AAU which is largely minority driven and has had huge growth in a 25 year time frame. You might want to get a diverse group of people with different perspectives to make recommendations to you to CYA or you might end up being Roger Goodell's red headed step child. Grant Hill and David Robinson are as pristine as any former players, John Thompson and Mike Montgomery representing coaches, Prez of Notre Dame and Prez of American Universities, Foley from Florida and the AD from Hofstra and several scholar types.

I've got no problem with him going committee. We are at a crossroads of the players and their likeness being used to make millions and it being illegal for them to accept a meal. At some point it's going to blow up. You need some independent input rather than the people getting rich making all the decisions.
  • #15 by rude1 on 24 Apr 2018
  • It would make Nolan happy.....seeing the "flesh peddlers" pushed out.
    Sadly nobody listened to Nolan on what was going on with the AAU handlers, when then it was early enough to possibly get a handle on it. I think it is too ingrained in college  basketball culture now. I suspect any rule changes will just be met with another way of continuing to circumvent the rules and business will continue as usual.
  • #16 by Kevin on 25 Apr 2018
  • #17 by nwahogfan1 on 25 Apr 2018
  • Tell me how the NCAA can get rid of it?????

Can the NCAA get rid of the one and done with out NBA changes and let them go where ever?  I guess it would not be very effective though?
  • #18 by hogsanity on 25 Apr 2018
  • Can the NCAA get rid of the one and done with out NBA changes and let them go where ever?  I guess it would not be very effective though?

Well, since one and done is created by NBA rules, I do not see how the NCAA could get rid of it. Kids do not have to go to college now to play in the nba, they just have to meet certain age requirements that mean they have to spend a year out of HS. They can go to Europe or Asia or Australia and play for $ then become draft eligible. How is the NCAA supposed to stop that?
  • #19 by CiriusPorker on 25 Apr 2018
  • as much as I love this, I hate this at the same time. 
  • #20 by k.c.hawg on 25 Apr 2018
  • Well, since one and done is created by NBA rules, I do not see how the NCAA could get rid of it. Kids do not have to go to college now to play in the nba, they just have to meet certain age requirements that mean they have to spend a year out of HS. They can go to Europe or Asia or Australia and play for $ then become draft eligible. How is the NCAA supposed to stop that?

The report basically states they no longer want that kid involved in the collegiate game. The report mentions the G League being a potential landing spot. They don't care if the go to Europe, just don't come to college. Even say if coaches go after someone that is trying to circumvent and do the one and done that the next step is to lock that scholarship up for 2 or 3 years to deter coaches.
  • #21 by hogsanity on 25 Apr 2018
  • The report basically states they no longer want that kid involved in the collegiate game. The report mentions the G League being a potential landing spot. They don't care if the go to Europe, just don't come to college. Even say if coaches go after someone that is trying to circumvent and do the one and done that the next step is to lock that scholarship up for 2 or 3 years to deter coaches.

How are they supposed to know that a kid is going to be one and done? I have no issue with locking the scholarships, but they are going to have to do it in a way that people can't claim some sort of bias. Easiest way is make ANY basketball scholarship in which the player leaves after 1 year, for any reason, count against the school for the next season as well.
  • #22 by Adam Stokes on 25 Apr 2018
  • Can the NCAA get rid of the one and done with out NBA changes and let them go where ever?  I guess it would not be very effective though?

Condoleezza Rice said in the presser that they were calling on the NBA to end one and done as it is out of the hands of the NCAA. They said If the NBA failed to make changes, they would reconvene and look to institute measures such as freshman ineligibility (forced redshirt year) and the lock up of scholarships for a specific period of time, which I guess means that if you had a player leave after one year you wouldn't get the scholarship for x number of years.
  • #23 by hawginbigd1 on 25 Apr 2018
  • I like their ideas about summer leagues and tournaments being sanctioned by the ncaa, or coaches can't attend, that should help eliminate some of the shadiness.

They are putting public pressure on NBA and the NBAPA to eliminate the one and done i think it can work.
  • #24 by azhog10 on 25 Apr 2018
  • I like their ideas about summer leagues and tournaments being sanctioned by the ncaa, or coaches can't attend, that should help eliminate some of the shadiness.

They are putting public pressure on NBA and the NBAPA to eliminate the one and done i think it can work.
    Will just shift money from clubs to high school coaches. I just don't see how it's going to be stopped.
  • #25 by hawginbigd1 on 25 Apr 2018
  • Will just shift money from clubs to high school coaches. I just don't see how it's going to be stopped.
    You may be right but generally i feel there is a much  greater level of integrity in the schools.

I think the commission's meeting with all the shoe companies was to put them on notice that they are complicit intentionally or not and they had better start policing a little better, just my sense.
  • #26 by GuvHog on 25 Apr 2018
  • Will just shift money from clubs to high school coaches. I just don't see how it's going to be stopped.

I honestly wish the NCAA would grow some intestinal fortitude and file a lawsuit against the NBA to try and get the courts to force them to implement a 3 and done system instead of the current One and Done.
  • #27 by Captain Morgan on 25 Apr 2018
  • I honestly wish the NCAA would grow some intestinal fortitude and file a lawsuit against the NBA to try and get the courts to force them to implement a 3 and done system instead of the current One and Done.
      heads not rolling from the powers that be in the NCAA is the most baffling to me
  • #28 by #hammerdown on 25 Apr 2018
  • Cliff notes of the article ďwe canít inforce the rules we have because it would destroy CBB.  So letís write a bunch of new rules we wonít inforce so it looks like we are doing something.
  • #29 by onebadrubi on 25 Apr 2018
  • Cliff notes of the article ďwe canít inforce the rules we have because it would destroy CBB.  So letís write a bunch of new rules we wonít inforce so it looks like we are doing something.

Similar to government.  Theyíve gotten to big and powerful
  • #30 by k.c.hawg on 26 Apr 2018
  • How are they supposed to know that a kid is going to be one and done? I have no issue with locking the scholarships, but they are going to have to do it in a way that people can't claim some sort of bias. Easiest way is make ANY basketball scholarship in which the player leaves after 1 year, for any reason, count against the school for the next season as well.

Actually reading the report it is basically telling coaches you recruit your own problems. This is a hypothetical response to the NBA not helping eliminate one and done. The next step would be eliminate the one and done factories by locking up scholarships. Coach chooses to go there, there is a price to be paid.
  • #31 by hogsanity on 26 Apr 2018
  • Actually reading the report it is basically telling coaches you recruit your own problems. This is a hypothetical response to the NBA not helping eliminate one and done. The next step would be eliminate the one and done factories by locking up scholarships. Coach chooses to go there, there is a price to be paid.

The issue there would be if you recruit a kid and he is not a one and done guy but someone convinces him to go, so then the school get punished because someone talked this kid into leaving.
  • #32 by GuvHog on 26 Apr 2018
  • The issue there would be if you recruit a kid and he is not a one and done guy but someone convinces him to go, so then the school get punished because someone talked this kid into leaving.

I think it's more to keep the College coaches from pushing players out after 1 year even if a player is not a one and done level player. Calipari has been guilty of that very thing at Kentucky.
  • #33 by hogsanity on 26 Apr 2018
  • I think it's more to keep the College coaches from pushing players out after 1 year even if a player is not a one and done level player. Calipari has been guilty of that very thing at Kentucky.

That is not the one and done issue being discussed. This is kids going to school for on year then going pro.
Pages:
Actions