Pages:
Actions
  • #51 by MB Hog on 06 Apr 2018
  • Yes there was a strong core of players also returning with experience, Darrel Hawkins a senior who had played in the system 4 years. Clint Mcdaniel a sophomore who had a year experience under his belt, Warren Lynn a senior who had 4 years in the system, and Davor Rimac a sophomore in his second season. None of those guys were stars but they were a good foundation of talent to help the incoming class. Don't see anything like that on the current roster to help what we have coming in. We have basically ONE player returning to try and build around.
    I guess we'll see when they actually play the games.  So far, the sky hasn't fallen.
  • #52 by rude1 on 06 Apr 2018
  • I guess we'll see when they actually play the games.  So far, the sky hasn't fallen.
    Yes we will have to wait until we play the games, can't wait to see the creative excuses that are in store for us.
  • #53 by texas tush hog on 06 Apr 2018
  • Yes we will have to wait until we play the games, can't wait to see the creative excuses that are in store for us.

Can't wait to see us destroy the teasippers in their first game.
  • #54 by hawgfan4life on 06 Apr 2018
  • The last time Arkansas had 9 new faces on the men's basketball team, the team totally tanked that season and certain members of this board raked that coach over the coals unmercifully for it the next 2 years until he was finally run off. I wonder if they'll give Mike the same treatment if this year's team tanks? I doubt it for obvious reasons.

Really?  You doubt that MA will be raked over the coals if next season tanks?  Ever visit Jump Ball very much?  Unless we have won a few games in a row, that is pretty much the theme.  Even if we have been winning, just visit a game thread when we are behind at any point in the game and that is the common post.
  • #55 by TNhawgfan on 06 Apr 2018
  • you act like you donít see the big picture, all I hear is how bad recruiting is and how we have to bring in JUCOs, and Mike is still making the tourney, what will happen now that CMA gets a big top 25 class with a NBA prospect?
    They're top 25 due to quantity, not quality. Was a really good class until the one immediate impact player jumped to MSU
  • #56 by ShadowHawg on 06 Apr 2018
  • Corliss was considered by most as the No. 1 player coming into college his freshman year. See anything resembling that on the current group coming in?

I see Gafford. It wasnít just the new comers that contributed to that team. I see guys who could be as good as Darrell Hawkins, Robert Shepard, Roger Crawford, and Dwight Stewart for sure.

Corliss was hurt for half that season so thereís that also.
  • #57 by rude1 on 06 Apr 2018
  • I see Gafford. It wasnít just the new comers that contributed to that team. I see guys who could be as good as Darrell Hawkins, Robert Shepard, Roger Crawford, and Dwight Stewart for sure.

Corliss was hurt for half that season so thereís that also.
    Really, who you see doing all that?
  • #58 by ShadowHawg on 06 Apr 2018
  • Yes there was a strong core of players also returning with experience, Darrel Hawkins a senior who had played in the system 4 years. Clint Mcdaniel a sophomore who had a year experience under his belt, Warren Lynn a senior who had 4 years in the system, and Davor Rimac a sophomore in his second season. None of those guys were stars but they were a good foundation of talent to help the incoming class. Don't see anything like that on the current roster to help what we have coming in. We have basically ONE player returning to try and build around.

Neither McDanirl or Rimac played many minutes the season before. They didnít even log a minute in most of the conference games. Hardly foundations of experience.

Now Warren Lynn, a former walkon, made a huge difference?! He didnít even make the regular rotation that season and didnít even get into all the games while averaging 3 pts.

Rimac played even less than the previous season while averaging less than 2 pts a game.

What I see is a multitude of Hog fans who embellish the history of what resale has happened in the past of this program.
  • #59 by steveaustin69 on 06 Apr 2018
  • Neither McDanirl or Rimac played many minutes the season before. They didnít even log a minute in most of the conference games. Hardly foundations of experience.

Now Warren Lynn, a former walkon, made a huge difference?! He didnít even make the regular rotation that season and didnít even get into all the games while averaging 3 pts.

Rimac played even less than the previous season while averaging less than 2 pts a game.

What I see is a multitude of Hog fans who embellish the history of what resale has happened in the past of this program.

Is it more likely a bunch of freshmen play at All SEC levels or that they play like freshmen?
  • #60 by ShadowHawg on 06 Apr 2018
  • Really, who you see doing all that?

Embery, Crawford
    Cheney, Stewart
    Sills, Shepard
    Joe, Hawkins

Scotty is the guy from that team that there doesnít seem to be a counter for, but even he wasnít supposed to be as good as he turned out in terms of recruiting rankings.
  • #61 by ShadowHawg on 06 Apr 2018
  • Is it more likely a bunch of freshmen play at All SEC levels or that they play like freshmen?

Debate the facts. Not going to play your game of avoiding the ongoing discussion.
  • #62 by ballinhog on 06 Apr 2018
  • Experience is overrated. All you need is good shooting, good size, and good guys who play hard and enjoy one another, and play unselfish.

Look at Villanova, not a lot of talent, just a lot shooters that play well together. They're not real long on the inside but they have decent size and big bodied guys at every spot and they can shoot. Guys like Mason Jones and Courtese Cooper will make us more like Nova imo and also make us better than we were a week ago
  • #63 by rude1 on 06 Apr 2018
  • Neither McDanirl or Rimac played many minutes the season before. They didnít even log a minute in most of the conference games. Hardly foundations of experience.

McDaniel played 10 minutes a game, had 2 starts even. But according to you he hardly played. Warren Lynn wasn't a walk on and played 14 minutes a game the year before and had 11 starts, Davor Rimac averaged 7 minutes a game the year before.  I mean you guys will just say anything to try it make it look like Mike Anderson is right on target...........................
  • #64 by steveaustin69 on 06 Apr 2018
  • Experience is overrated. All you need is good shooting, good size, and good guys who play hard and enjoy one another, and play unselfish.

Look at Villanova, not a lot of talent, just a lot shooters that play well together. They're not real long on the inside but they have decent size and big bodied guys at every spot and they can shoot. Guys like Mason Jones and Courtese Cooper will make us more like Nova imo and also make us better than we were a week ago

This fan base is so dumb. Good lord.
  • #65 by 311Hog on 06 Apr 2018
  • McDaniel played 10 minutes a game, had 2 starts even. But according to you he hardly played. Warren Lynn wasn't a walk on and played 14 minutes a game the year before and had 11 starts, Davor Rimac averaged 7 minutes a game the year before.  I mean you guys will just say anything to try it make it look like Mike Anderson is right on target...........................

i just think some of you are so mad about the way this season ended that you are using hind sight to predict this teams future.

of course we know how McDaniel etc. turned out.  Their resume's are not that much different from the current teams predicted roster, it just remains to be seen how well these future team will do.

Sure you can say they will do what "all MA teams do mediocre" because you are not happy with the results this far, for the most part i am not either, but this is a totally new slate IMHO and that is how i look at it.  nothing you can do about last year or the last 7 years outside of Gafford the team will be new and fresh and i am hopeful for them.
  • #66 by steveaustin69 on 06 Apr 2018
  • i just think some of you are so mad about the way this season ended that you are using hind sight to predict this teams future.

of course we know how McDaniel etc. turned out.  Their resume's are not that much different from the current teams predicted roster, it just remains to be seen how well these future team will do.

Sure you can say they will do what "all MA teams do mediocre" because you are not happy with the results this far, for the most part i am not either, but this is a totally new slate IMHO and that is how i look at it.  nothing you can do about last year or the last 7 years outside of Gafford the team will be new and fresh and i am hopeful for them.

Is it more likely a bunch of freshmen play at All SEC levels or that they play like freshmen?
  • #67 by 311Hog on 06 Apr 2018
  • sorry i am not sure what you are saying to me if you are talking to me.
  • #68 by ballinhog on 06 Apr 2018
  • This fan base is so dumb. Good lord.

Care to elaborate or you just make stupid ass comments with nothing to say to back it up? I could very well be wrong on Cooper, it's very very likely his minutes per game is not correct. If they were he'd be a 5 star. But that's what his bio says so what else is there to go by?

It's people like you that make this board much less enjoyable than it should be. You just make a stupid ass comment like this with no info at all. If you disagree with me then ok who cares, tell me I'm wrong and tell me why I'm wrong. Leave the 3rd grade insults to the 3rd graders and come at me with something. Good lord what an idiot. See I can do that too. But I take it back, I don't mean it.
  • #69 by ballinhog on 06 Apr 2018
  • This fan base is so dumb. Good lord.

I just realized you call yourself Steveaustin69 so I take back every single word I said to you. I'll let you figure out the reason why
  • #70 by ballinhog on 06 Apr 2018
  • I just want to talk basketball. The title of this thread is "9 new faces for 2018" so that's all I wanna talk about.

So about Courtese Cooper, can anyone confirm how many minutes per game he played? His bio says 10 but can't be right. If it was he'd be a 6 star with those stats lol

Also about Jordan Phillips, I've been very high on him but I'm starting to cool a little. He shot like 25% from three and even tho he handled the ball a lot only averaged 1.5 assists. I hope my initial excitement about him is correct. I've pictured him as a versatile 6-7 guy that can shoot, handle the ball, and get other guys involved. Hopefully he's a better shooter than the 25%. I thought he was a really good shooter
  • #71 by BannerMountainMan on 07 Apr 2018
  • Weíve got our 8th new face! Mason Jones! Got three years of eligibility, Averages 19.6 points a game during conference play. Already upgraded over CJ.
  • #72 by ShadowHawg on 07 Apr 2018
  • McDaniel played 10 minutes a game, had 2 starts even. But according to you he hardly played. Warren Lynn wasn't a walk on and played 14 minutes a game the year before and had 11 starts, Davor Rimac averaged 7 minutes a game the year before.  I mean you guys will just say anything to try it make it look like Mike Anderson is right on target...........................

Warren Lynn was a walkon who later got a scholarship.

McDaniel averaged as many mins as Arlando Cook before earning nearly 10 dnp's later in the season. Biggers even played early in that season to give context to the situation.

Since when is 7 mins a game a rotational player? CJ Jones and Adrio Bailey averaged that many minutes as frosh. Don't remember anyone touting them as being experienced or poised to be leaders for the young guys, but Rimac was?!

Someone is definitely talking out their arse here.
  • #73 by batmanfan on 07 Apr 2018
  • I just want to talk basketball. The title of this thread is "9 new faces for 2018" so that's all I wanna talk about.

So about Courtese Cooper, can anyone confirm how many minutes per game he played? His bio says 10 but can't be right. If it was he'd be a 6 star with those stats lol

Also about Jordan Phillips, I've been very high on him but I'm starting to cool a little. He shot like 25% from three and even tho he handled the ball a lot only averaged 1.5 assists. I hope my initial excitement about him is correct. I've pictured him as a versatile 6-7 guy that can shoot, handle the ball, and get other guys involved. Hopefully he's a better shooter than the 25%. I thought he was a really good shooter

Where did the 25% # come from? I too thought he'd be in the 30s
  • #74 by lookawayquick on 08 Apr 2018
  • Rude - the Hogs have 3 players returning that played meaningful minutes; Gafford, Bailey, Gabe O and 2 who practiced with the team for the year in Harris and Garland.  Yes, I know Garland may never be cleared but if he does he will be one step ahead of a true freshman.  And, as to your handicapping of the incoming class......time will tell.  I'm betting that Isaiah Joe and Chaney are impact players.  Think CMA may have gotten a steal with the late signing of Mason Jones.  Again, time will tell.  Lots of shooters headed to F'ville.
  • #75 by ballinhog on 09 Apr 2018
  • Where did the 25% # come from? I too thought he'd be in the 30s

I donít remember where I seen it. Someone posted somewhere the stats of all our signees this past year. Everything was as I expected but I think Phillips was like 25% from three and 1.5 assists which I expected to be higher.

I canít remember if Iím wrong on this or not but it seems like Phillips shot over 40% from three his soph and Jr seasons. So maybe last year was just a down year. I really like his game. I really like this whole class. Im not too big on Mike Anderson anymore but I do like this class tho
  • #76 by DeltaBoy on 09 Apr 2018
  • Sounds good to me.
  • #77 by razorback1829 on 09 Apr 2018
  • I donít remember where I seen it. Someone posted somewhere the stats of all our signees this past year. Everything was as I expected but I think Phillips was like 25% from three and 1.5 assists which I expected to be higher.

I canít remember if Iím wrong on this or not but it seems like Phillips shot over 40% from three his soph and Jr seasons. So maybe last year was just a down year. I really like his game. I really like this whole class. Im not too big on Mike Anderson anymore but I do like this class tho

I've seen the stats and percentages, I still don't know where you got this from. And the fact that you can't remember really doesn't help with whatever you were trying to say.
  • #78 by Smithian on 09 Apr 2018
  • Nine new faces isn't ideal, but it isn't unheard of in college basketball.

Talent is what is important, not just continuity.
  • #79 by Captain Morgan on 09 Apr 2018

I guess you just watch Arkansas. Nova runs a fundamental, innoviated system. Its not an out dated philophosy like the fastest 40. To compare Nova in 2018 to Arkansas is homerism on your part and slap in the face to Nova winning 2 of 3 national titles.
  • #80 by razorback1829 on 09 Apr 2018
  • I guess you just watch Arkansas. Nova runs a fundamental, innoviated system. Its not an out dated philophosy like the fastest 40. To compare Nova in 2018 to Arkansas is homerism on your part and slap in the face to Nova winning 2 of 3 national titles.

Nova runs a disciplined switch all screen half court defense. They never extend themselves which gives them to opportunity to rebound and run, and get their shooter lost in transition. On offense the really don't run a lot of sets at, but they are good at keeping their spacing, penetrating and dishing for open shots. Oh, and they had a hell of a pg.
  • #81 by hogsanity on 09 Apr 2018
  • Nova runs a disciplined switch all screen half court defense. They never extend themselves which gives them to opportunity to rebound and run, and get their shooter lost in transition. On offense the really don't run a lot of sets at, but they are good at keeping their spacing, penetrating and dishing for open shots. Oh, and they had a hell of a pg.

In other words, they are NOTHING like the Hogs.
  • #82 by farfromgroovins on 09 Apr 2018
  • Can't really compare the NC Hog teams to any team but May-Day and the Triplets.

Let's face it, these guys may be that next group but every SEC player on scholarship looks good at the high school level.  I just don't know if any will be a Corliss, Moncrief, or Day.  You have to have one of those.  Beck, McDaniel, Hawkins, Crawford.....all good players but nothing without an elite.

Year 8......
  • #83 by Dominicanhog on 09 Apr 2018

• Someone is definitely talking out their arse here.

That's part of his charm...
  • #84 by NCHogz919 on 09 Apr 2018
  • Iím new to this site but Iím from NC and i can tell you we have a star in Jalen Harris. Iíve watched him play since he was maybe in the 7th grade. A lot of folks here donít understand how he was able to get out of the state. Iíve seen him go head to head with Dennis Smith Jr a few times and he won more than a few of those matchups. Time will tell but heís definitely a star
  • #85 by MPHinJonesboro on 09 Apr 2018
  • With the level of talent coming in, I don't see this as a problem.  I really hated losing Hall (which is totally stupid on his part) but I've seen Reggie Chaney, Desi Sills, Isaiah Joe and Ethan Henderson play.  Joe should be a starter next year and with Hall out, Chaney needs to have a big impact.  Since this is likely to be the case, I don't have any issues with the team next year.  I'm not ready to say they will be better than last years team but I will say this, they will be hungrier than last years team and that could translate well.
  • #86 by k.c.hawg on 09 Apr 2018
  • Iím new to this site but Iím from NC and i can tell you we have a star in Jalen Harris. Iíve watched him play since he was maybe in the 7th grade. A lot of folks here donít understand how he was able to get out of the state. Iíve seen him go head to head with Dennis Smith Jr a few times and he won more than a few of those matchups. Time will tell but heís definitely a star

Every time I see film on him, my first thought is, we haven't had a point guard that could remotely compare to him in the last 9 or 10 seasons. Cannot wait to watch him and I fully expect us to score 20% to 30% more points from 8' in, than we did this year. Athletic with great handles and a pretty nice shot. I know he wasn't highly recruited but I have zero doubt he will be better than most 4 star point guards in this years class.
  • #87 by Captain Morgan on 09 Apr 2018
  • In other words, they are NOTHING like the Hogs.
    Most on jump ball only watch Arkansas. Some thought Butler was the same program as Wofford. One thing that was noticed after that was just how well Butler moved the ball from offensive sets. Many on here saw that minimal in SEC play
  • #88 by HogBreath on 13 Apr 2018
  • Coach Mike and the glorious and beloved fast forty are going to have more new comers than the football team will.
  • #89 by ballinhog on 14 Apr 2018
  • I guess you just watch Arkansas. Nova runs a fundamental, innoviated system. Its not an out dated philophosy like the fastest 40. To compare Nova in 2018 to Arkansas is homerism on your part and slap in the face to Nova winning 2 of 3 national titles.

Lol you pretty much said the same thing I said in your attempt to school me. People assume too much around here. I never said we will be as good as Nova. I said the players were getting are more similar to Novas players than what weíve had. Never even hinted we will be as good.

But thanks for agreeing with me, even though you didnít even realize thatís what you were doing lol man I love this place
  • #90 by GuvHog on 14 Apr 2018
  • Really?  You doubt that MA will be raked over the coals if next season tanks?  Ever visit Jump Ball very much?  Unless we have won a few games in a row, that is pretty much the theme.  Even if we have been winning, just visit a game thread when we are behind at any point in the game and that is the common post.

You misunderstood my post. It's true that there will be those that would rake Mike over the coals but they have been doing so for years. Those are not the people I was referring to. There are a number of people who started raking Pelphrey over the coals during his bad second season at Arkansas when he returned only 4 scholarship players from the previous team and they never stopped. The minute Mike Anderson was hired, they jumped on his band wagon and have been defending him to the hilt ever since. They even made excuses for the horrible year after Portis left and have continued to down play that year. My point is it is these people who will defend Mike to the hilt even if next season (Mike's 8th season at Arkansas) turns out to be a total disaster. They claimed Pelphrey only returning 4 scholarship players was no excuse for his second year disaster yet if next year is a disaster, they'll claim it as a legit excuse for Mike Anderson.
  • #91 by okrazorback on 14 Apr 2018
  • Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Nolan  had 7 newcomers in 95-96  and went to the sweet 16

Gary Anderson is no Nolan, But then neither is anyone else.
  • #92 by k.c.hawg on 14 Apr 2018
  • Gary Anderson is no Nolan, But then neither is anyone else.

Gary Anderson??? was one of the best athletes to ever play at Arkansas. Great hands for a running back. Freak athlete. Was kind of Reggie Bush before Reggie Bush. But yeah, he was no Nolan!!
  • #93 by Porkatarian on 14 Apr 2018
  • Weíre those ďissuesĒ worse than passing counterfeit money, or failing multiple drug tests over several seasons or several fights at clubs? You could at least do those and remain on the team. Seems to me youíre just trying to disparage these two, to protect Mike for why they are transferring without any proof they had ďissuesĒ.

You would be surprised.  Sometimes records get sealed.

Porkatarian out...
  • #94 by carolinahogger on 14 Apr 2018

• Nolan's #1 ranked class had 10 in it.

It happens.

How did that work out?  That fact doesn't exactly make your point.
  • #95 by Dominicanhog on 14 Apr 2018
  • I wonder if they'll give Mike the same treatment if this year's team tanks? I doubt it for obvious reasons.
    What are those obvious reasons, because they aren't that obvious to me and I don't wan to misconstrue your comment as something racial..
  • #96 by mhuff on 14 Apr 2018
  • What are those obvious reasons, because they aren't that obvious to me and I don't wan to misconstrue your comment as something racial..

Only people that bring up racial comments on this board are people that have their own agendas.
  • #97 by Dominicanhog on 14 Apr 2018
  • Only people that bring up racial comments on this board are people that have their own agendas.

My agenda is to understand what obvious reasons he meant..
  • #98 by jbigs77 on 15 Apr 2018
  • The subject of this thread is 9 new faces. I read it and it turns into a liberal dump on MA. Most of the more intellectual people set back and read, rarely post.
    Here's what I see.
    1. I am excited about the new players. I think they will eventually be good players. Its rare that a freshman does really well all the time, but if they are good players, they will show potential. Gafford is a good example. He will be a awesome player and showed some of that as a freshman. But at the same time was often inconsistent, and had holes in his game. He knows that, why he's coming back.

2. I disagree with MAs coaching techniques in many areas. But he has made the team fun to watch again, even to go to games again. I think back to Heath and Pel, I couldn't even sat down and watch them, it made me sick. For those of you that want MA fired, be careful what you wish for, you might get it. But remember, it can get worse and better chance than not, it would.

GO HOGS!
  • #99 by GuvHog on 15 Apr 2018
  • My agenda is to understand what obvious reasons he meant..

My point is that there is racial bias on both sides of the fence. There are those who support Mike only because he is African American and there are those who oppose Mike for the same reason. I don't agree with either one.
  • #100 by Dominicanhog on 15 Apr 2018
  • My point is that there is racial bias on both sides of the fence. There are those who support Mike only because he is African American and there are those who oppose Mike for the same reason. I don't agree with either one.

That's about the same as Trump saying there are good people on both sides.. got it.. and that's also what I was afraid you meant... for obvious reasons..
Pages:
Actions