Pages:
Actions
  • #1251 by jbcarol on 02 Nov 2017
  •  Brent Zwerneman‏ @BrentZwerneman Oct 31

No quarterback controversy at Texas A&M – at least not for now http://m.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/No-quarterback-controversy-at-Texas-A-M-at-12320777.php … via @houstonchron

Sumlin said he’s not reevaluating who will be starting with four regular-season games remaining, including 11 a.m. Saturday against Auburn at Kyle Field.

“Not right now,” said Sumlin, in adding that while Starkel did some good things, there were “issues” as well in his first action since breaking his ankle in the season-opening loss at UCLA.

Sumlin on Tuesday during his weekly press conference shouldered the blame for the lopsided loss to the Bulldogs, and kept to his vow that this is a different team than the one of the past few seasons that’s crumbled in November. That remains to be seen, starting Saturday against Auburn, and once the Aggies play New Mexico in a final nonconference contest, wrapping up the regular season on the road against Mississippi and LSU.
  • #1252 by jbcarol on 03 Nov 2017
  •  AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 10h10 hours ago

Malik Zaire to start at quarterback for Florida vs. Missouri
  • #1253 by jbcarol on 04 Nov 2017
  •  Mark Long‏Verified account @APMarkLong 2h2 hours ago

ESPN sideline reporter says Feleipe Franks went to interim coach Randy Shannon to say he was upset and that he’s better than Malik Zaire
  • #1254 by jbcarol on 04 Nov 2017
  • Brent Zwerneman‏ @BrentZwerneman Oct 31

No quarterback controversy at Texas A&M – at least not for now http://m.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/No-quarterback-controversy-at-Texas-A-M-at-12320777.php … via @houstonchron

James Crepea‏Verified account @JamesCrepea 2h2 hours ago

Texas A&M changes QBs
  • #1255 by jbcarol on 05 Nov 2017
  • Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Fan Sound Off: LSU faithful wants a new quarterback after loss to Alabama

LSU fell short in its upset bid of Alabama on Saturday night in Tuscaloosa as the No. 2 Crimson Tide swept past the Tigers by a 24-10 verdict...

Afterward, there was a quiet resignation about losing to Alabama for the seventh consecutive contest. The LSU faithful simply desires [sic] a reliable quarterback.

Check out what LSU fans are saying about the performance and join the conversation here.

Note: Comments are taken verbatim from LSU Tigers — SEC Country and only edited for spelling.

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger 1h1 hour ago

#LSU's last four starting QB performances against the Tide: 4 INTs, 2 TDs, 38% completion, about 108 yards a game.
  • #1256 by jbcarol on 05 Nov 2017
  •  Stephanie McBride‏ @smcbride_ 11h11 hours ago

Vols football: Will McBride's mother Stephanie is 'speechless' about son's debut http://knoxne.ws/2hGmJkj  via @knoxnews

Stephanie McBride‏ @smcbride_

I am speechless!!!

Actually I'm not. I'm screaming my head off.

McBride's son, Will, made his college debut for Tennessee (4-5, 0-5 SEC) in a 24-10 win over Southern Miss at Neyland Stadium to snap a four-game losing streak.

McBride, a freshman, was headed to a redshirt season. However, junior quarterback Quintin Dormady underwent season-ending shoulder surgery this week. It was apparent that McBride was next in line if starting QB Jarrett Guarantano was injured.

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 14h14 hours ago

SEC Network halftime show rips Butch Jones for burning QB Will McBride’s redshirt

McBride got some "much needed?" reps in the second half
  • #1257 by jbcarol on 05 Nov 2017
  • Brent Zwerneman‏ @BrentZwerneman Oct 31

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 19h19 hours ago

Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin on QB Nick Starkel: ‘He’s earned his spot back’
  • #1258 by jbcarol on 05 Nov 2017
  • Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger

New | #LSU sticking with Etling at QB, O says, after 'frustrating' day at #Bama.

Brennan "looked good," he said

LSU is sticking with its quarterback plan.

Danny Etling will remain the Tigers’ starter, coach Ed Orgeron said, despite his struggles against top-ranked Alabama. Coaches inserted true freshman Myles Brennan for the final drive of the 24-10 loss on Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Etling was not injured, the coach said.

“I thought he looked good. Obviously (he felt) some pressure. Made some good decisions,” Orgeron said of Brennan, 3-for-5 for 18 yards. “Myles is going to have a chance to be our quarterback. I don’t know if he’s going to be our quarterback next year, but he has to get some experience and we just wanted to give him a shot.”

The team will not change its season-long plan of Brennan backing up Etling and seeing spot duty in preparation for what many believe to be a starting role next year.

“We’ll have the same plan,” Orgeron said when asked if Brennan could take the starting gig.

LSU hosts Arkansas (4-5, 1-5 Southeastern) at 11 a.m. Saturday.
  • #1259 by jbcarol on 11 Nov 2017
  •  Robbie Andreu‏ @RobbieAndreu
    55m55 minutes ago

Give the Gators credit, they've put together two really nice drives here in the second quarter with two different QBs.

SC up 21-13  3rd Q
  • #1260 by jbcarol on 12 Nov 2017
  • #1261 by jbcarol on 14 Dec 2017
  •  Brent Zwerneman‏ @BrentZwerneman
    3h3 hours ago

Backup QB Jake Hubenak's career at A&M done with one game remaining: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Backup-QB-Jake-Hubenak-s-career-at-A-M-done-with-12431326.php … via @houstonchron

Two years ago Jake Hubenak bailed out the Aggies when they needed him most. Texas A&M’s two starting quarterbacks had abruptly transferred in December 2015, leaving Hubenak as the lone guy leading the Aggies into the Music City Bowl against Louisville.

Hubenak, in his first start at A&M, nearly led the Aggies to a victory against Lamar Jackson and the Cardinals, with a final heave to the end zone falling incomplete in the 27-21 loss.

The third-string senior on Thursday announced via Twitter that his college career is done, with the 7-5 Aggies still to play a final game in the Belk Bowl against 7-5 Wake Forest on Dec. 29.

“I had surgery yesterday to repair my torn labrum that I had battled with all season,” Hubenak wrote, adding a thank you to the “12th Man” for making his time spent as an Aggie memorable.

• #1262 by jbcarol on 29 Dec 2017

Malik Zaire’s departure leaves incoming freshman Emory Jones as only dual-threat QB on Florida roster

Florida’s quarterback picture came into clearer focus Thursday when Malik Zaire’s father confirmed the veteran quarterback will not pursue an extra year of eligibility to return to the Gators.

Because he sustained a broken ankle in the second game of his 2015 season at Notre Dame, many wondered if Zaire would pursue a medical hardship waiver for a sixth year and try to compete for the starting job at Florida in Dan Mullen’s spread offense — a better fit for his skill set than the pro-style system he played in last fall.

As his father Imani Zaire told SEC Country, though, there was no substantial conversation between Zaire and Mullen about his future, and the graduate transfer QB was simply over the college football experience after a frustrating season at Florida.

So that leaves incoming freshman Emory Jones as the only dual-threat quarterback in the mix for the Gators.

He’ll be competing with incumbent starter Feleipe Franks, who struggled with his decision-making as a redshirt freshman in 2017, as well as untested redshirt sophomore Kyle Trask and redshirt freshman Jake Allen.

The expectations many already had for Jones to seize the starting job in his first season will only increase now that it’s known Zaire won’t be an option as a veteran dual-threat QB to serve as a placeholder in this new offense.
  • #1263 by jbcarol on 06 Jan 2018
  • AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Jarrett Stidham returning to Auburn in 2018, passing on NFL Draft

Jarrett Stidham will be back to lead Auburn's offense in 2018.

Following a three-day hunting trip in the "middle of nowhere" north of the Mexican border, the Tigers' starting quarterback announced his decision to return to school for his redshirt junior season and pass on the NFL Draft for at least one more year.

Stidham put together the second-most prolific passing campaign in school history, completing 66.5 percent of his passes for 3,158 yards, 18 touchdowns and six interceptions. Only former Auburn quarterback Dameyune Craig, a one-time Tigers assistant coach [hired by Jimbo Fisher at A&M this week], has passed for more yards in a single season in program history; Craig passed for 3,277 yards in 1997.
  • #1264 by jbcarol on 09 Jan 2018
  • #1265 by jbcarol on 12 Jan 2018
  • AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Scott Frost questions why it took 12 games for Nick Saban to play Tua Tagovailoa

New Nebraska coach Scott Frost: "It was a decision I don't know I would have been courageous enough to make. That's the answer you want to hear. The other answer is that he was pretty obviously better and they had 12 games to figure that out and didn't," Frost told ESPN's Sam Khan Jr. "Coach Saban is above criticism with everything he's accomplished, so I don't mean it that way, but I recruited Tua out of high school and knew what he could do and it doesn't surprise me that he did what he did. Jalen's a great player, too. That was a very bold and courageous move and I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier (in the season)."

Interestingly enough, my colleague at OregonLive.com, Andrew Nemec, pointed out the irony of questioning why Tagovailoa wasn't playing more during the season.

While the quarterback coach/offensive coordinator in 2014, Frost was part of a Mark Helfrich staff that elected not to offer Tagovailoa a scholarship as a sophomore, despite his heavy interest in the Ducks due to his relationship with, and admiration for, Oregon legend Marcus Mariota.
  • #1266 by jbcarol on 12 Jan 2018
  • AL.com sports
    ‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
    4h4 hours ago

Never before in Saban's run at Alabama had such a compelling quarterback competition presented itself in such a way. https://trib.al/8mSPYZT

Never before in Saban's run at Alabama had such a compelling quarterback competition presented itself in such a way. It's hard to imagine any situation mirroring the night vs. day dynamic of Hurts in the first half Monday and Tagovailoa in the second.

From no life to an up-tempo, accurate passing game with multiple targets, it looked like two different teams out there.

Still a teenager, Hurts is suddenly the old-guard. And the change the internet clamored for worked even better than expected.

Now that the natural order has been disturbed, where does this whole dynamic go forward? Saban made no proclamations the morning after the championship game.

"Look," he said, "we have two good quarterbacks on our team, no doubt. Both of them made a great contribution to the success of the team this year. I think that we haven't really made a decision about that. I don't think it's imperative that we make one right now. We've got two fine young men who really respect each other and have worked hard to help each other all year long. Hopefully we'll be able to continue to do that in the future."

There's still a case to be made for Hurts.

• #1267 by jbcarol on 14 Jan 2018
  • #1268 by jbcarol on 29 Jan 2018

National Signing Day: SEC’s rocky record with top QB recruits raises questions

2016 SEC quarterback class signaled a new era in the nation’s top conference.

Three of the top five quarterbacks in the nation, according to the 247 composite rankings, signed with SEC teams. Shea Patterson — the nation’s top-ranked quarterback — signed with Ole Miss. Jacob Eason, the No. 2 quarterback, stuck with Georgia even after Mark Richt’s departure. No. 5 Feleipe Franks signed with Jim McElwain and the Florida Gators.

All three coaches those players signed with are now gone. And, at this point, two of those three have transferred. Patterson, after the Hugh Freeze scandal and NCAA violations at Ole Miss, transferred to Michigan. Eason headed back to Washington after the emergence of super freshman Jake Fromm.

In the 2016 class, eight 4-star quarterbacks signed with SEC schools. Two years later, four of those players have transferred, and there’s a very real chance that seven could finish their careers elsewhere.

The only safe bet in the class to finish at the school they signed with? Jake Bentley at South Carolina. He was one of two 4-star quarterbacks the Gamecocks signed in that class. Brandon McIlwain, ranked 10 spots ahead of Bentley at the position, transferred to Cal following his freshman year after he was replaced as starter by Bentley.

Feleipe Franks and Jarrett Guarantano both played in 2017 to very mixed results, and now have to deal with a new staff at Florida and Tennessee, respectively.

Perhaps the most discussed potential transfer is Alabama’s Jalen Hurts...
  • #1269 by jbcarol on 25 Feb 2018
  • #1270 by jbcarol on 28 Feb 2018
  • #1271 by jbcarol on 02 Mar 2018

• AL.com sports

Corey McCarron fires back at Greg McElroy after critique of AJ McCarron; McElroy responds

"AJ's a friend, I've known him a long time, so I'm obviously rooting for him to become a starter," McElroy said during an appearance on "Bull and Fox" on WKRK-FM in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. "But if I have to put my analyst cap on, I have to ask the question: What's the difference between AJ, Brock Osweiler and Mike Glennon? I have my questions there. And we've seen backups get big money, and it just hasn't come to fruition."

Corey McCarron - who played fullback and tight end for the Crimson Tide before transferring to Middle Tennessee in 2015 - responded on Twitter about supporting family and about representing "the crimson and white."

"Sad to see this man," Corey McCarron tweeted. "I've been in the same seats as u with Coach preaching Family. Whether its jealousy, envy or whatever you don't say that (about) family. (About) those who rep the crimson and white. But he will continue to win and shine and when he does, don't say a word."

The response started a conversation between the younger McCarron and McElroy.

"I'd love to be wrong," McElroy responded. "I will always and have always rooted for AJ. That'll continue. Just a big picture opinion on FA QBs, bro. Hope you understand that my job requires me to have an opinion and it's never personal. If/when he becomes a Pro Bowler, nothing would make me happier."

"I understand what your job is but, in my opinion, your analysis left out thing [sic]... the most important thing," Corey McCarron tweeted. "... The kid is a born winner! It's in him. He refuses to lose and does whatever it takes for the team to win. That's the difference between him and those other guys!"
  • #1272 by jbcarol on 02 Mar 2018
  • AL.com sports
    1h1 hour ago

Nick Saban isn't ruling out that both Jalen Hurts AND Tua Tagovailoa could have roles for Alabama this season https://trib.al/qI4VZKX

Saban isn't ruling out that both Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa could have roles for Alabama this season.

"The most important thing is to play the best guy," Saban told ESPN. "And if both guys can play winning football, it's not out of the question that we'll find a role for both guys in fairness to both guys."

Is it likely both will have roles? Probably not.

Either way, though, this competition between Hurts and Tagovailoa for the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback job will soon commence and will be one of the top national storylines leading up to the season.

While it's probably safe to refer to Tagovailoa as the favorite in the competition after his performance during Alabama's win over Georgia in the national championship game, Saban told ESPN that he's assured both players there haven't been any decisions made yet about whom the starting quarterback will be.

"All I've told both players is that they're both going to have the opportunity to compete, and that's all any competitor ever wants," Saban said. "We've won with both, and the kids on our team respect both guys."

To have a chance in the competition, Hurts will surely need to look better in the passing game than he did late last season. He only threw for 112 yards during the Tide's loss to Auburn, 120 yards during Alabama's Sugar Bowl win over Clemson and was just 3 of 8 for 21 yards during the national title game before being pulled in favor of Tagovailoa.

In his conversation with ESPN, Saban again acknowledged the Tide went into the College Football Playoff "fully expecting" to play Tagovailoa if the team needed a spark in the passing game.
  • #1273 by jbcarol on 10 Mar 2018

• Michael Carvell
    ‏ @Michael_Carvell

Will Florida turn back clock, use 2-quarterback system in 2018?

Florida coach Dan Mullen is no stranger to two-quarterback systems.

In his last stint with the Gators as offensive coordinator, Mullen used Chris Leak and Tim Tebow throughout Florida’s national championship season in 2006.

He also had quarterbacks split time at Mississippi State, playing Tyson Lee and Chris Relf in 2009, Relf and Tyler Russell in 2011, and Russell and Dak Prescott in 2013.

In each of those four seasons, Mullen had an upperclassman and a young quarterback sharing reps, and both players were utilized in different ways.

In his first year with the Bulldogs, Mulled [sic] ...

If the Gators need to play a pair of signal callers, it probably will be Franks and mid-year enrollee Emory Jones. They are considered the favorites in Florida’s competition and one of them likely will win the job outright.

However, with Franks being a pro-style quarterback and Jones having dual-threat ability, there’s definitely a scenario in which both players would be needed and used within the system. If Franks earns the starting job but can’t execute some of the rushing offense, such as the read option, Jones could handle the quarterback runs and also throw passes periodically, a la Relf and Tebow.

You cannot turn back time -- Cher
  • #1274 by jbcarol on 29 Mar 2018
  • #1275 by jbcarol on 02 Apr 2018

• Michael Carvell
    ‏ @Michael_Carvell

LSU’s Ed Orgeron: ‘I have no problem playing two quarterbacks’

“But let me tell you this… I have no problem playing two quarterbacks,” Orgeron said. “If one quarterback can do something very well, the other quarterback can come in do some run for us… we may do that.

“There are a lot of options we have, I’m excited about all three quarterbacks and so is our team.”

LSU currently has three scholarship quarterbacks — Justin McMillan, Myles Brennan and Lowell Narcisse — on its 2018 roster following the departure of Danny Etling, who took over for Brandon Harris as the team’s starter in 2016.

Orgeron promoted Steve Ensminger to offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach this offseason, replacing Matt Canada, who agreed to resign in January as part of his plan to improve a unit that ranked seventh among SEC teams in total offense. Ensminger, who previously held both titles during the 2016 season, was the team’s tight ends coach in 2017.
  • #1276 by jbcarol on 04 Apr 2018

• Antonio Morales
    ‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

There was some culture shock, there was surrealism, but Matt Corral eventually settled in at Ole Miss.

There also was the surreal feeling of transitioning from high school one month to college the next. From playing at Long Beach Poly to competing against SEC players.

"In the beginning (I was) just really thinking, 'I'm in college now. I'm in the SEC,'" Ole Miss true freshman quarterback Matt Corral said, "'and this is actually happening.'"

Corral is essentially the quarterback of the future and the spring offered the first glimpse of him in offensive coordinator Phil Longo's scheme.

After those first few weeks, "(I) started getting into the groove of things," Corral said. "(I) started to learn the playbook and get into film when I'm supposed to, and doing the extra stuff the coaches were asking so I could get the possibility to get on the field my freshman year."

With the increase in speed Corral is set to face, he's placed an emphasis on making quicker decisions. Making the reads in the offense has not been a problem, there's just an added focus on grasping the entire playbook.

"Really night and day," Matt Luke said when asked about Corral's progress. "After eight or nine practices you can see all those freshmen, the light bulb starts to go off a little bit.

"I think the knowledge is definitely increasing."

The Rebels understand the meaning of the "one play away" cliche better than most. Backup quarterbacks have played a prominent role in Ole Miss' past two seasons.

Corral said he'd feel prepared if his number was called today.

Luke said if Ole Miss had to insert Corral into a game right now, it would keep things pretty simple so he could execute what he knows. But he sounded optimistic about what added reps would mean for Corral.

"The good thing is he'll have these two practices and a whole summer and then a whole fall camp. Then he'll get a whole lot better," Luke said. "The talent is there. The arm talent is there. It's just being able to function without having to think. ... And you do see him making strides so that's encouraging."

There's such an emphasis on Corral getting more reps that Alex Faniel, who signed with Ole Miss as a member of the '17 recruiting class, has moved from quarterback to tight end.

Faniel, who is 6-foot-6 and 248 pounds, was catching passes from Corral on Tuesday.

"Really wanted to get Matt a lot of reps," Luke said. "Looked like he was progressing pretty good so we wanted to make sure. We didn't want Alex standing around. We wanted to see if we can get him involved and he's a big, good athlete."
  • #1277 by jbcarol on 04 Apr 2018

• SEC Country Arkansas
    ‏ @SECCountryHogs
    5h5 hours ago

Arkansas’ offense can succeed with any style of QB, but preference is clear  #WPS https://sec.news/2q6AsEB

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the new Arkansas coaching staff would take the dual-threat option every time. And there is strong evidence to support that philosophy.
  • #1278 by jbcarol on 07 Apr 2018
  • Michael Carvell
    ‏ @Michael_Carvell
    11m11 minutes ago

Nick Saban: No timetable for Alabama’s quarterback competition

“Tua played very limitedly today in terms of the reps that he had today,” Saban said Saturday after the scrimmage. “I think Jalen did a nice job, and so did Mac Jones. I’m sure when we look at the film, we’ll say and they’ll say there are things that we can do better.”

Asked how Tagovailoa’s hand injury has affected his timeframe on the competition, Saban shot down the notion that the quarterback position needs to be settled at any particular time.

“First of all, I don’t have a timeframe so how could it affect it?” Saban said. “I mean, you have a timeframe. I don’t. From your perspective, maybe I should ask you the question, but from my perspective if there’s no timeframe, how does it affect it? I can’t answer that.

“I don’t think that anytime a player gets hurt at any position that he should be penalized for that. Does it give other players more of an opportunity to show what they can do? Absolutely. He probably got 15-20 snaps today, something like that, early in the scrimmage and did well. Jalen, I thought, started out a little bit slow, but he really made some really good plays as the scrimmage went on.”

Mac Jones was Kentucky's "little lamb" that King Saban plucked from their meager flock to sit behind Jalen, Tua, and Tua's brother if he lasts that long.
  • #1279 by jbcarol on 08 Apr 2018

• Brady Ackerman
    ‏Verified account @bradyack
    27m27 minutes ago

Finally the QB battle. If UF had to play today Franks gives them the best shot in the passing game. Trask has improved and made it a close battle. Jones is the best runner, but still needs some seasoning. #Gators
  • #1280 by jbcarol on 15 Apr 2018
  • Kentucky football: Neither Gunnar Hoak, Terry Wilson take lead in QB race after spring game

Gunnar Hoak took the first snap, but from there on it was all even between he and Terry Wilson in a Kentucky quarterback competition that won’t be won any time soon.

The pair of sophomore quarterbacks each had their moments in Kentucky’s Blue-White game Friday night at Kroger Field, and while they bring different skill sets, there isn’t a clear front-runner.

“I just don’t think it’s fair to say that at this point,” Stoops said. “It’s really not. There’s been days when one has looked better than the other and vice versa. It’s just not fair for me to say that at this point because they’re — I’d be just throwing something at the wall. They both have done some good things, and both need improvement in certain areas.”
  • #1281 by jbcarol on 21 Apr 2018
  • #1282 by jbcarol on 22 Apr 2018
  • Saban doesn't have a quarterback problem.

Or a quarterback dilemma.

Quarterback controversy, yes. Quarterback crisis ... not yet.

What Saban and Alabama really have right now are options.

All-American options.

Jalen Hurts or Tua Tagovailoa?

Don't count out Alabama's Jalen Hurts after poor A-Day

Knee-jerk reactions are not for the spring, when dual-threat quarterbacks are limited by design, and play calls are, too. Oh, you think Jalen is going to transfer without putting up a fight? That's not the Jalen we know.

Remember, Saban needed both Jalen and Tua to win the national championship in January. Somehow that fact is lost on people today. Like Alabama magically appeared in the locker room of Mercedes-Benz Stadium at halftime of the title game, and didn't have to do anything to actually get there.

Do you think Alabama would have made it to that moment with Tua as the starting quarterback? I do not.
  • #1283 by jbcarol on 22 Apr 2018
  • Averion Hurts to son [translated]: You made a tactical error allowing Tua to get an opportunity to start at QB for Bama

Maybe it’s best to begin with the stone cold truth, a dose of reality from the most anticipated quarterback competition in all of college football.

Jalen Hurts isn’t changing positions, and there’s a good chance if Alabama’s record-breaking junior quarterback doesn’t win the starting job while competing with national championship hero Tua Tagovailoa, he’s not hanging around Tuscaloosa in the fall to watch from the bench.

“I told Jalen, ... , you opened the door and put yourself in this situation,” Averion Hurts, Jalen’s dad, in an exclusive interview in the Hurts’ hometown of Channelview. “Now it’s up to you to dig yourself out.”

SEC Country Alabama
    ‏Verified account @SECCountryBama

Alabama football: Nick Saban responds to comments made by Jalen Hurts’ father
  • #1284 by jbcarol on 03 May 2018
  • #1285 by jbcarol on 08 May 2018
  • #1286 by jbcarol on 15 May 2018
  • #1287 by jbcarol on 17 May 2018
  • #1288 by jbcarol on 17 May 2018
  • #1289 by jbcarol on 20 May 2018
  • Michael Carvell
    ‏ @Michael_Carvell
    8m8 minutes ago

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa explains ‘transfer’ comments

“I kind of got the wrong end when I seen it on ESPN,” Tagovailoa told Simone Eli of CBS 42 in Birmingham. “I think they most definitely took it out of context saying if I didn’t play I would’ve left and whatnot. And I think sometimes if you don’t stick it in, like what I said, if you don’t stick it in, if you just keep giving up, you won’t see the end result and what God has prepared, which is the blessing. I don’t think I would’ve experienced it if I left.

“I was talking about Fourth Quarter (Program) more-so. When we’re doing the first day of Fourth Quarter, I wanted to leave; I called my dad, I called back home and I told him I wanted to go to USC … After our running, I come back to the dorm that night after tutoring and I call my dad and I tell him, ‘Dad, we’ve got to go. I can’t do this.’ I mean, if I just didn’t stick it in through that whole time during Fourth Quarter, during spring ball, during camp and then during the season, I don’t think me and you would’ve been here talking right now.”

Tagovailoa was speaking to middle schoolers in Hawaii earlier this week when he revealed that he considered transferring and contacted his father wondering if he still had a scholarship offer from USC...

Alabama will kickoff the 2018 season against Louisville on Sept. 1. While Saban hasn’t named a starter yet, many believe it’s now Tagovailoa’s job to lose following his heroic title game performance.

Simone Eli
    ‏Verified account @SimoneEli_TV

WATCH: I spoke exclusively w/ #Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa about report that he would've transferred to #USC had he not played in championship. @Tuaamann_ explains comments (made to a group of kids) & says he "got the wrong end, most definitely taken out of context" #RollTide

Simone Eli
    ‏Verified account @SimoneEli_TV

Aloha Hawaii!! 🌺☀️🌊
    Beyond excited to be headed “back home” with the Tua Tagovailoa family!

Tune into @CBS_42 all weekend for my coverage of @Tuaamann_’s hometown celebration parade, behind the scenes family fun and so much more! 🏈
    #Alabama #RollTide
  • #1290 by jbcarol on 21 May 2018
  • #1291 by jbcarol on 23 May 2018
  • #1292 by jbcarol on 27 May 2018
  • Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt stays true to word, opens 4-quarterback derby

“We’ll have four guys, we practice four groups, and those guys all get the same amount of reps and we’ll see how they develop over the summer and into fall camp,” Pruitt said Thursday in Kingsport at the final Big Orange Caravan stop of the 2018 tour.

“As we get closer to the times we scrimmage — we’ll scrimmage on the ninth (fall period) practice — we’ll chart things from Day One until that scrimmage and that will give us an idea about how they are going to scrimmage.”

Pruitt’s quarterback derby features Stanford graduate transfer Keller Chryst, returning sophomores Jarrett Guarantano and Will McBride, and incoming freshman JT Shrout.

Chryst and Shrout will soon arrive in Knoxville and begin mixing in with new teammates in unsupervised workouts.

“We’ll have summer conditioning and our guys will be at player-led practices,” Pruitt confirmed.

Pruitt said the summer workouts are particularly important for Chryst and Shrout as they attempt to learn offensive coordinator Tyson Helton’s system.
  • #1293 by jbcarol on 28 May 2018

• Jarrett Guarantano✞
    ‏ @BroadwayJay2

I miss New Jersey
    1:42 PM - 27 May 2018

Jarrett Guarantano✞
    ‏ @BroadwayJay2

I haven’t been back home since December 🤦🏽‍♂️
    4:01 PM - 27 May 2018

Volwr88
    ‏ @volwr88
    7h7 hours ago
    Replying to @BroadwayJay2

All the extra work u've been doing (QB trainer) will payoff when ur playing and winning in front 102k Volnation   Hang tough
  • #1294 by jbcarol on 01 Jun 2018
  • Ivan Maisel and Trevor Matich were asked to assess Alabama's quarterback situation. The Crimson Tide has two well-regarded signal-callers returning from its 2017 CFP national-championship team.

Matich

SEC Offensive Player of the Year as a freshman in 2016, Jalen Hurts climbed Alabama's all-time lists in his second season as a starter. With 40 touchdown passes and 21 rushing TDs, Hurts ranks second in Crimson Tide history for touchdown responsibility. He's also third in yards of total offense, fourth in TD passes and eighth in passing yards.

But it was quarterback Tua Tagovailoa who came off the bench at halftime of the CFP national-championship game with Alabama trailing Georgia 13-0 and led the Tide to a 26-23 overtime victory on Jan. 8. The freshman threw three touchdown passes, including a 41-yard game-ender to DeVonta Smith.

"How is the Alabama quarterback situation going to play out?" Maisel said, echoing the first question posed to him. "I don't know. (Alabama coach) Nick Saban's got to walk a tightrope, and he's pretty adept at doing it. He's got to keep both players happy, keep the locker room happy, keep everybody pulling in the same direction, and that's hard to do in that kind of situation. But at the end of the day, if everybody puts the team's success first rather than themselves, then it will work out whoever ends up playing -- both of them or one or the other. ..."
  • #1295 by jbcarol on 10 Jun 2018
Pages:
Actions