• 10,015,214 Posts
• 401,417 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FWIW - From a VU fan...  (Read 3206 times)

VU79

FWIW - From a VU fan...
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:14:21 pm »

who's fairly Razorback aware.  My dad had 2 degrees from "The University", he raised me as a Hog fan, 1969 left a scar, I've been to numerous games, etc..  If I wasn't a VU alum, the Hogs would be my only team.

My wife and I were at the VU game, my first game at RRS since the upgrade.  Here's my thoughts:

- Wow, REALLY nice stadium.  My dad's old seats were in the SEZ outdoor club, we got seats Saturday on the east side, row 16 in 106.  By far the nicest college stadium I've ever been to. Beautiful, easy to get in and out of.

- REALLY nice fans.  Everyone was very friendly and respectful, before/during/after the game.  I was at the 2005 game as well, my only other game at RRS as "the enemy", and it was the same experience.  Be proud you're not UK, MSU, LSU or UTjr, my other points of comparison.

- The last Hog game I was at was the 2015 MSU game.  Life interrupted after that and I haven't followed the Hogs very closely for the last 2 years.  But wow, big difference in the crowd size and atmosphere.  Not VU-pathetic levels, but not what I've seen in the past, even when the Hogs were at a talent disadvantage.

- I know the Hog fans are unhappy, and impatient.  But I've seen plenty of bad football as a VU fan, and lived through the 1990-1994 Ark drought.  I really don't think Arkansas is that far away.  The offense is really close, get the OL to an average SEC level, and add a couple of receivers, and you'll have what you need.  Defense, granted, has more holes, but I also think it's more of an attitude/want-to kind of area, that should show significant improvement in the next couple of years.

- This VU team, really, isn't comparable to historically bad VU teams - of which we've had many.  Yes, I know Storey had 2 interceptions, but one was picked off by one of our few 4*'s, who you'll be seeing in the NFL, and the other, honestly, just slipped out of his hand and was kinda flukey.  Vaughn, according to the UGa coaches, would get carries there, even as rich as they are at RB.  Pinkney and Lipscomb will make NFL squads, maybe Shurmur too.  Our OL has some NFL talent as well.  Our D needs work, but there's some NFL talent in there, and they've been playing better.  You caught us at a bad time, for you, since Mason apparently has heard enough complaints about Vaughn only getting 10 carries or so a game, and maybe decided to give the fans what they want.  I guess my point is - it isn't a total disgrace losing to VU this year.  Much better teams have come close, and we still may knock off one or two that are better than this Ark team.  Other than USCjr, all of our losses so far have been to top 15 teams, and some of those could have gone the other way.

- I've read where some of you fear being the "VU of the West". Fear not, the two programs aren't comparable in terms of institutional investment - we don't have an entire state that lives and dies with our football team, nowhere near the facilities you have, no built-in recruiting base, etc..  And your assets are comparable to your peers in the west.  Even Alabama - last I checked, Saban isn't immortal. 

Bottom line: Arkansas has too many built-in advantages to be down for too long.  And I look forward to that day when RRS is rocking and rolling and the rest of the SEC trembles at the thought of playing there.  Even us.  It's more fun that way.

Until then, stick together and keep the faith.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: FWIW - From a VU fan...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:18:29 pm »

Good to see Vandy is telling us to hang in there.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Razorfox

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:54 pm »

Nice post. 

wildturkey8

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 01:20:50 pm »

Vandy fan is right.

sickboy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 01:55:37 pm »

Good to see human beings acting kindly to one another.

flagstaffhog

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:12:23 pm »

Go HOGS Go!

Hogmatic

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 02:40:29 pm »

A classy post for sure and very much on point

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 02:45:32 pm »

Thanks for the reminder VU. Some of us needed to hear that.

Polecat

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:41:45 pm »

False. Saban actually is immortal

gmarv

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 04:54:10 pm »

Good post when you did not have to. WPS

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 05:06:12 pm »

Maybe you could learn something.

247Hog

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 05:16:02 pm »

Good to see Vandy is more level headed and able to express well thought out perspective without going off emotions about the Hogs unlike many of our fans.

BTW pretty sure Vandy was telling Arkansas fans to hang in there, not Auburn.

Hoginsavga

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 05:37:12 pm »

Vandy can jump up and bite you when you least expect it. Ask UGA fans and Kirby Smart in his first year as HC. 

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:53 pm »

Good post

I loled at "USCjr

jkstock04

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 06:52:48 pm »

Good to see Vandy is more level headed and able to express well thought out perspective without going off emotions about the Hogs unlike many of our fans.

BTW pretty sure Vandy was telling Arkansas fans to hang in there, not Auburn.
Embarrassing is what it is. But admittedly not as trollish as when Mizzou whips us regularly and they come here telling us to 'hang in there you will get there' type stuff. Note worthy how the schools he mentioned as being proud not to be are all on the rise lol. That was the neatest part.

I do agree though it's important to be nice and inviting to opposing fans...nothing worse than going to another stadium and getting cold shoulders or rude behavior. Ive experienced that, so from then on Im the guy that will always invite opposing fans into my tailgate with hospitality.

Hog are ya

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 03:06:56 am »

Yeah I know this guy can be a negative poster here, but I must admit that I was having similar feelings while reading the OP.  And if the OP is legit and not trolling, which I don't think he is, then it is a nice post and thank you for the "keep your head up" and all that...

But it is pretty sad to this fan,  a fan since the Joe Ferguson days, that it has come to this....

Here's to hoping it begins to "turn around" and get back to "old times" starting next year.

HogJowler

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 08:15:43 am »

Always heard VU students were smart

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 09:15:15 am »

Yeah I know this guy can be a negative poster here, but I must admit that I was having similar feelings while reading the OP.  And if the OP is legit and not trolling, which I don't think he is, then it is a nice post and thank you for the "keep your head up" and all that...

But it is pretty sad to this fan,  a fan since the Joe Ferguson days, that it has come to this....

Here's to hoping it begins to "turn around" and get back to "old times" starting next year.

The saddest part to me (and please don’t let this turn into a BP/carpetbaggin’ AD debate) is when I talk to opposing fan bases and they act like we’ve been terrible forever. It HAS been a while, but 2010-11 wasn’t that long ago. We were somewhat feared at that time; sigh.

Vandy dude is right though, things are looking up with our recruiting which is exactly the way a new coach can start winning.

UNCLE BACK

• Senior
  • You're not a gnat are you bug?
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 09:51:29 am »

Chad is that you?

ballz2thewall

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 11:44:49 am »

after the game i mentioned on here that vandy is not a bad team this year. i've watched the games.

no one was willing to buy it, though, paying attention to the records and stats, only.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 11:57:46 am »

Why does this garbage stay up?  I mean really.  A lecture from a Vandy fan?  I guess the Bama fans just feel sorry for us.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 12:52:59 pm »

Why does this garbage stay up?  I mean really.  A lecture from a Vandy fan?  I guess the Bama fans just feel sorry for us.

1.  It's not garbage
2.  He's a Vandy alum that grew up an Arkansas fan and whose parents had club level seats and he even states if he had not gone to Vandy, Arkansas would be his only team.  Hell his connection to the U of A is probably greater than a lot on here. 
3.  Take the kind words and encouragement in the spirit in which they were intended.

Anyone that thinks the post is trolling, condescending or anything negative is just looking for a reason to justify being a jerk.

If we had won I have no doubt the OP would have come on and posted the exact same sentiments except for maybe adding a few more positives.

alohawg

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 01:30:17 pm »

False. Saban actually is immortal

Saban is an old school Ahole that wins, exactly what most teams need. The players coaches are just code for soft.

greasy_corner

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 09:08:09 pm »

1.  It's not garbage
2.  He's a Vandy alum that grew up an Arkansas fan and whose parents had club level seats and he even states if he had not gone to Vandy, Arkansas would be his only team.  Hell his connection to the U of A is probably greater than a lot on here. 
3.  Take the kind words and encouragement in the spirit in which they were intended.

Anyone that thinks the post is trolling, condescending or anything negative is just looking for a reason to justify being a jerk.

If we had won I have no doubt the OP would have come on and posted the exact same sentiments except for maybe adding a few more positives.

Or he could just be another alter account on here, just having laugh. 

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 09:39:10 pm »

who's fairly Razorback aware.  My dad had 2 degrees from "The University", he raised me as a Hog fan, 1969 left a scar, I've been to numerous games, etc..  If I wasn't a VU alum, the Hogs would be my only team.

My wife and I were at the VU game, my first game at RRS since the upgrade.  Here's my thoughts:

- Wow, REALLY nice stadium.  My dad's old seats were in the SEZ outdoor club, we got seats Saturday on the east side, row 16 in 106.  By far the nicest college stadium I've ever been to. Beautiful, easy to get in and out of.

- REALLY nice fans.  Everyone was very friendly and respectful, before/during/after the game.  I was at the 2005 game as well, my only other game at RRS as "the enemy", and it was the same experience.  Be proud you're not UK, MSU, LSU or UTjr, my other points of comparison.

- The last Hog game I was at was the 2015 MSU game.  Life interrupted after that and I haven't followed the Hogs very closely for the last 2 years.  But wow, big difference in the crowd size and atmosphere.  Not VU-pathetic levels, but not what I've seen in the past, even when the Hogs were at a talent disadvantage.

- I know the Hog fans are unhappy, and impatient.  But I've seen plenty of bad football as a VU fan, and lived through the 1990-1994 Ark drought.  I really don't think Arkansas is that far away.  The offense is really close, get the OL to an average SEC level, and add a couple of receivers, and you'll have what you need.  Defense, granted, has more holes, but I also think it's more of an attitude/want-to kind of area, that should show significant improvement in the next couple of years.

- This VU team, really, isn't comparable to historically bad VU teams - of which we've had many.  Yes, I know Storey had 2 interceptions, but one was picked off by one of our few 4*'s, who you'll be seeing in the NFL, and the other, honestly, just slipped out of his hand and was kinda flukey.  Vaughn, according to the UGa coaches, would get carries there, even as rich as they are at RB.  Pinkney and Lipscomb will make NFL squads, maybe Shurmur too.  Our OL has some NFL talent as well.  Our D needs work, but there's some NFL talent in there, and they've been playing better.  You caught us at a bad time, for you, since Mason apparently has heard enough complaints about Vaughn only getting 10 carries or so a game, and maybe decided to give the fans what they want.  I guess my point is - it isn't a total disgrace losing to VU this year.  Much better teams have come close, and we still may knock off one or two that are better than this Ark team.  Other than USCjr, all of our losses so far have been to top 15 teams, and some of those could have gone the other way.

- I've read where some of you fear being the "VU of the West". Fear not, the two programs aren't comparable in terms of institutional investment - we don't have an entire state that lives and dies with our football team, nowhere near the facilities you have, no built-in recruiting base, etc..  And your assets are comparable to your peers in the west.  Even Alabama - last I checked, Saban isn't immortal. 

Bottom line: Arkansas has too many built-in advantages to be down for too long.  And I look forward to that day when RRS is rocking and rolling and the rest of the SEC trembles at the thought of playing there.  Even us.  It's more fun that way.

You are right, and I will keep the Faith.

Granny fan

• Hogvillian
  • "Jethro says smog is a small hog."
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 09:58:58 pm »

Sometimes it takes someone looking from the outside in to remind us that all is not lost.  Thank you for the nice post.

dfwhawg

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 06:22:33 am »

Thank you for the nice perspective on AR program.  VU alum here as well and a life long Hogs fan having raised in Arkansas.  I hope to see AR football program become relevant in this life time but I'm not optimistic having seen AR struggled mightily since letting go BP about a decade ago.  In retrospect, Long has made some major mistakes in his decisions and set the program back to the current state, likely 2-10 year.  We shall see if Morris is way over his head or not in year 3.  Here's hoping to brighter days at AR.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:39 am »

Are you kidding? Bama fans don’t feel sorry for anybody. 😂

hawgball40

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 10:49:50 am »

kick rocks commie  >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas