• 10,015,866 Posts
• 401,470 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With commit today  (Read 6845 times)

The Hawgman

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
With commit today
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:50:21 pm »

We are filling our needs and not with warm bodies but beating out the OUs of the world.
Offensive line may be our greatest need when you get down to it.
And mature offensive linemen is what is needed for a quicker recovery and we are filling that.
I still think we can improve greatly with KJ and Noland with this OLine that is coming in but a real grad transfer who can run could mean 2 to 3 more wins.
Starting to gain a little optimism and we should be very excited the way this staff is closing. 

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
Re: With commit today
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:26:49 am »

We are filling our needs and not with warm bodies but beating out the OUs of the world.
And mature offensive linemen is what is needed for a quicker recovery and we are filling that.
I still think we can improve greatly with KJ and Noland with this OLine that is coming in but a real grad transfer who can run could mean 2 to 3 more wins.
Starting to gain a little optimism and we should be very excited the way this staff is closing.
get the first questionable call this next season and watch it implode in here

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ThisTeetsTaken

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:59:53 am »

I’m anxious to see some player development. 

Athog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:09:04 am »

You wonder how long before the negativity starts.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 09:48:41 am »

Something to Ponder:  for the uppers and downers.  Morris and company are getting football players or so it seems.  Is the Man assuring showing that he cannot coach and manage a college team????  You Downers are indirectly saying Morris is getting ready to ruin a couple of recruiting classes because he cannot coach enough to use their talents.   We watched Bret do that 5 times over and his classes were not of this caliber.

But NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND:  Morris has proven he can coach under certain circumstances.  Does his personality seem to be that of a person who would bring in players pretty much knowing he can't optimise their talents?  Would he work this hard knowing failure is about the only avenue he has?  Is he just confused about what he knows and falsely believes he can coach?  Would you downers agree that Morris APPEARS to be the hardest working HC we have seen since maybe Hatfield?  And maybe forever.  Is this coach bringing in, SO FAR, the best players on paper we have seen since at least the mid 90s and from a numbers point of view, maybe forever. 

Lets say Morris cannot coach.  At least he works hard.  He has a pleasant personality.  He doesn't piss off the industry with his mouth.  He dresses decently on gameday and doesn't look like he just raced from the bar to the field.  He works cheaper than the last Guy, about 10 times cheaper if you factor in the actual time spent on the job actually doing something.  So if he can't coach there is still some things we can be happy about.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 10:30:04 am »

Pulled(PP)pork answered that for us.  As soon as the first questionable call this next season  happens, just watch it implode in here. 

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 10:55:17 am »

The recruiting class has been showing lots of stars was screaming the question "Where are the linemen?" Cunningham was a big step toward  answering that.  I would still like to beat Maryland for the lineman whose name I will not attempt to spell.

jkstock04

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 12:06:18 pm »

Something to Ponder:  for the uppers and downers.  Morris and company are getting football players or so it seems.  Is the Man assuring showing that he cannot coach and manage a college team????  You Downers are indirectly saying Morris is getting ready to ruin a couple of recruiting classes because he cannot coach enough to use their talents.   We watched Bret do that 5 times over and his classes were not of this caliber.

But NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND:  Morris has proven he can coach under certain circumstances.  Does his personality seem to be that of a person who would bring in players pretty much knowing he can't optimise their talents?  Would he work this hard knowing failure is about the only avenue he has?  Is he just confused about what he knows and falsely believes he can coach?  Would you downers agree that Morris APPEARS to be the hardest working HC we have seen since maybe Hatfield?  And maybe forever.  Is this coach bringing in, SO FAR, the best players on paper we have seen since at least the mid 90s and from a numbers point of view, maybe forever. 

Lets say Morris cannot coach.  At least he works hard.  He has a pleasant personality.  He doesn't piss off the industry with his mouth.  He dresses decently on gameday and doesn't look like he just raced from the bar to the field.  He works cheaper than the last Guy, about 10 times cheaper if you factor in the actual time spent on the job actually doing something.  So if he can't coach there is still some things we can be happy about.
Cannot argue with any of this in the bolded.

But about the best we have recruited since the 90s....I'm a little gun-shy to jump in that homer wagon. The same exact thing was said ad nauseum about Bielemas recruiting so why should we believe it now? Seems very subjective.

phadedhawg

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:19:00 pm »

Morris has shown potential in recruiting from the start.  It looks like the signing period may be a happy day for Razorback nation. 

The unanswered questions about Morris won't be solved by positive press in recruiting, he's gotta win some football games.  Unfortunately he won't get the chance to do so until September. 

"Now is the winter of our discontent"

OkieBack

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »

Good to stay optimistic.  In the end though, these recruits will have to go out and prove it on the field just as every other recruiting class before them.  The coaching questions will remain in play until the team turns the corner and gets significant wins on the field.  I would start by seeing how many non-conference wins we can get.  Then I would focus on how many of the SEC games we can win, particularly those games against teams that are beatable and do not have stellar records.  Once Arkansas is beating teams they SHOULD beat then we are much closer to beating teams that have been long shots to us in the past.   Closing the gaps.  It's gonna happen.

jusgtohogs

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 12:26:39 pm »

I'm excited about the class CCM is putting together because of all the potential they have.  But, all the potential in the world doesn't mean anything until there is production as a result of it.  I'm trying to remain positive but 'the proof is in the pudding'.

SSFrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 01:01:05 pm »

Spring game. That is if it ever stops.

orvillesghost

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »

I am not going to knock the negative posters for the disgusting thing is, the last few years, they have typically been right.

But when you only win two games, one would think the future has to be better.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 01:23:28 pm »

IMHO.....we need a QB transfer above all things.  If that doesn't happen, there is no way KJ will be ready for the SEC in 5-6 weeks. 

OkieBack

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:24 pm »

IMHO.....we need a QB transfer above all things.  If that doesn't happen, there is no way KJ will be ready for the SEC in 5-6 weeks.

KJ probably won't start.  It will be Ty at least the first half of the season.  Key will be how many WR recruits will be viable targets in 2019. 

It's all about recruiting and then getting the W's on the field.  At SMU CCM was 2-10 in 2015 and then 5-7 in 2016.  What's the diff?  He beat two of the same teams in 2016 (Tulane and N. Texas) and then added wins against Liberty (NC), Houston (Mid ACC Team), and E. Carolina. 

What does this mean?  As CCM recruits talent he then puts it on the field and starts winning games that on paper his team should beat. 

If CCM can have similar success then I would guess Arkansas will beat Portland State, Colo State, San Jose, and then may be Western Ky and/or Miss State.  A nice treat would be to punk Auburn in 2019.  Teams I don't see Arkansas beating will definitely be Alabama, Kentucky, LSU, and Mizzou.  Ole Miss and A&M I suspect will be losses.

So for 2019...win your non-conference games and hopefully win an SEC game.  In 2020, s/b the Year of KJ.  We size up the SEC and start knocking em in the chops.  7-5 may still be a tall order in 2020 but I would take it.   
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:54:25 pm by OkieBack »

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:45:20 am »

With Cunningham and Nwanna, we should have a solid line.  Yes, it may not be an elite, dominant line but we should progress beyond the problems of the past three years.  If the WR’s can actually create some separation, coupled with just a hair longer to throw, the net result could be a huge improvement in productivity. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 12:44:55 pm »

With Cunningham and Nwanna, we should have a solid line.  Yes, it may not be an elite, dominant line but we should progress beyond the problems of the past three years.  If the WR’s can actually create some separation, coupled with just a hair longer to throw, the net result could be a huge improvement in productivity.

I couldn't agree more.   I really think that we just need to fix the Center for a very solid Oline.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »

Pulled(PP)pork answered that for us.  As soon as the first questionable call this next season  happens, just watch it implode in here. 

Only the idiots.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 05:49:47 pm »

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »

Spoke with a young guy for a while today in Miami that knows Alex Collins personally. Wanted him to go to Miami, said on the way to the airport he tried to get AC to change his mind.

Anyway, Manny Diaz apparently quit yesterday as defensive coordinator for the U and took the Temple HC job. He says their commitments are jumping ship left and right. Maybe we could snag one if Alex puts in a good word for the program.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 07:41:16 pm »

Cannot argue with any of this in the bolded.

But about the best we have recruited since the 90s....I'm a little gun-shy to jump in that homer wagon. The same exact thing was said ad nauseum about Bielemas recruiting so why should we believe it now? Seems very subjective.

Can we be better than 2 wins next season? Sure. Should have been this season and it was about (IMO) 65% the mindset of the players and 35% the coaching calls that prevented that from happening. You aren't going to execute at a high level if you don't have faith that each of your team-mates on each side of the ball are going to do the same while some are negative-talking the process inside and outside of the locker-room. Everyone has to be on the same page.

That said, we have some recruits that are going to add positivity and we may actually become stronger mentally through some attrition. YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN THE PROCESS, if you hope to improve.

I wouldn't haul off and expect a 6 win season next year just because of a churn of negative mindsets from the program, but believe it or not, that could happen. A lot of these freshmen don't have the pre-set, prejudiced mindset that just because they are freshmen in the almighty SEC, that they can't play well or achieve and perform at a high level. Sometimes (maybe more often than not) it is probably good that they don't have people telling them what they are incapable of doing.

We will see what happens but in reality, we are still probably at least another year away from being able to be a 8 win team. This isn't just a rebuilding job in terms of talent that fits these schemes, it is a rebuilding job in terms of believing what is possible as a team.

Morris needs 3 classes in a row just like this, if not better.

Tejano Jawg

• Show me.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 08:13:33 pm »

The last 2 days have been huge. Even with recruiting going well, we all said we need talent AND experience on the offensive line. There's only one way to do that, and we just did.

I've said for the past 2 seasons, it's really hard to evaluate the skill guys who are most dependent on the o-line—running backs and the quarterback. I still think we have some RB talent, even in bad times. We'll see what an improved o-line does for our quarterback position. A better running game won't hurt. Better protection for our passing game won't hurt. And some better receivers sure won't hurt.

When next season starts, our freshmen (and newcomers) may set the tone. And may fire up our upperclassmen. Also, at this point, hopefully they're just sick of losing…4-8, 2-10. We'll see what Morris can do with better pieces to build his machine with.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 08:42:22 pm »

I couldn't agree more.   I really think that we just need to fix the Center for a very solid Oline.

Agreed and we have the whole spring and off-season to get one ready.

wonderboys

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »

He doesn’t have to coach.    Dabo can’t.   What Dabo does is recruits like no other and puts good coaches on his staff to do the coaching.  He struggled at first without having good cordinators .     Morris is 10 times the x’s. O’s coach Dabo is.   Dabo has shown that doesn’t matter but being a great ceo does.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 09:36:50 pm »

Lets say Morris cannot coach.  At least he works hard.  He has a pleasant personality.  He doesn't piss off the industry with his mouth.  He dresses decently on gameday and doesn't look like he just raced from the bar to the field.  He works cheaper than the last Guy, about 10 times cheaper if you factor in the actual time spent on the job actually doing something.  So if he can't coach there is still some things we can be happy about.M
I understand your skepticism.  I would say that I want to see evidence that Morris can do something BESIDES recruit.  I want to see well coached offenses and defenses.  I want to the right personnel packages on the field at the right time.  I want to see that Morris--and more importantly his staff--can do something with what is looking like a good amount of talent coming in and also with what is left. I dont want to see illegal procedure penalties, holding, etc.  Penalties are a sign of poor coaching, poor technique, not know where you are supposed to line up.  You dont have to be a 5 star to know what you are supposed to do.  Too many times, CCM just looked like a coach in over his head last season.  I hope that is not the case.

I know the sentiment about Bret, but the first years of BB, we saw improvement but it was because of coaches like Sam Pittman, Chaney, Chris Ash, etc.  Bret had himself a nice staff when he started but he let them all get away.  He obviously could pick some good assistants.  Dan Enos is responsible for Bama's high flying offense (but I guess it helps your offense when you can implement it with 4 and 5 star recruits across the board   ;))  My point is that so many times last season, the team didnt look like they knew what they were supposed to do.

With the new season and the promise of new talent, I hope the staff can actually do something with the talent that is there.  I believe Chavis knows what he is doing, but he desperately needs more talent.  Joe Craddock??  The jury is still out on him.  I saw no innovation, no high flying, full tilt boogie, get in the left lane offense last season.  So we will see.

Morris/Craddock were trying to make the transition from a slow plodding huddle up between every play offense to his hammer down, never stop, left lane offense.  It was too much to do in one year.  Hopefully this staff with more time to work with who they have and who is coming in can start to implement the system that everyone praises CCM for.

OkieBack

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:31 pm »

Time.  Give this coaching staff time to get the players they KNOW can implement their schemes.  That is all I ask.  The recruiting numbers are staggering in what this staff is putting together.  But more important to the W's on the field this season (2019) pay attention to the roster turnover, the rookie penalties, and the amount of true Freshmen starting.  Understand we are BUILDING.

This 2019 season may be ugly, but it is only because of the youth we have starting.  In 2020 these young boys are gonna grow up to be men...and it will show on the field and in W's and L's.  These first two years are the sacrifice Hog fans that we MUST accept given Bielema's poor recruiting fortune.  I know no one wants to hear it.  But it is the truth.  If anyone out there happens to encounter Bret Bielema on the sidewalk please punch him in the gut for the awful class of athlete he left the UofA.  Enjoy the millions Bret...

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 12:35:25 am »

Someone has too much time on their hands.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 04:57:45 am »

Only the idiots.
seems the majority around here

Hogmatic

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 09:43:24 am »

Agreed and we have the whole spring and off-season to get one ready.

Center is the most difficult position to learn on the Oline.  Clary had never played C but had a season to get experience.  Now he gets to improve as you say.  Robinson is highly thought of by this staff so maybe he can push Clary and give him some rest in a rotation?

Hogmatic

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:20 am »

Can we be better than 2 wins next season? Sure. Should have been this season and it was about (IMO) 65% the mindset of the players and 35% the coaching calls that prevented that from happening. You aren't going to execute at a high level if you don't have faith that each of your team-mates on each side of the ball are going to do the same while some are negative-talking the process inside and outside of the locker-room. Everyone has to be on the same page.

That said, we have some recruits that are going to add positivity and we may actually become stronger mentally through some attrition. YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN THE PROCESS, if you hope to improve.

I wouldn't haul off and expect a 6 win season next year just because of a churn of negative mindsets from the program, but believe it or not, that could happen. A lot of these freshmen don't have the pre-set, prejudiced mindset that just because they are freshmen in the almighty SEC, that they can't play well or achieve and perform at a high level. Sometimes (maybe more often than not) it is probably good that they don't have people telling them what they are incapable of doing.

We will see what happens but in reality, we are still probably at least another year away from being able to be a 8 win team. This isn't just a rebuilding job in terms of talent that fits these schemes, it is a rebuilding job in terms of believing what is possible as a team.

Morris needs 3 classes in a row just like this, if not better.

I would agree with this now that we got the 2 JUCO OT's

311Hog

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 09:46:08 am »

Center is the most difficult position to learn on the Oline.  Clary had never played C but had a season to get experience.  Now he gets to improve as you say.  Robinson is highly thought of by this staff so maybe he can push Clary and give him some rest in a rotation?
i think Clary could make a good Center. You are correct it is very difficult to learn.

Al Boarland

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:58 am »

I would agree with this now that we got the 2 JUCO OT's

JUCO's usually take year to contribute at a high level.

Hogmatic

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 10:36:15 am »

JUCO's usually take year to contribute at a high level.

That is because our past JUCOs have not been the quality of Tretola, Spaight, Gerald, and Boyd.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:08 am »

FANONTHEHILL spoke very highly of Clary, I think with another off season of him focused on center, he will be much improved. I'm honestly excited to see this line play, now that better pieces are in place.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 12:04:25 pm »

That is because our past JUCOs have not been the quality of Tretola, Spaight, Gerald, and Boyd.

Heheheh....and JUCOs that arrive at mid-term rather than August have a much better chance at contributing right off the bat.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:30 pm »

FANONTHEHILL spoke very highly of Clary, I think with another off season of him focused on center, he will be much improved. I'm honestly excited to see this line play, now that better pieces are in place.

Clary was thrown to the wolves to early and it hurt him.  If he were to redshirt he would be ready to contribute and probably be pretty good next year.

Piggiebacker

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 12:17:46 pm »

wps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas