• 395,395 Topics
• 22,296 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 380 [381] 382   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 831462 times)

woodhog14

Re: Where to eat
« Reply #19000 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:00 pm »

Hmm.....to me, BBQ has always been pork, it's not that beef can't be good, it's just that it usually wasn't.

They have pork too. I grew up in Germantown, so my standard and favorite is The Germantown Commissary. Needless to say...I love pork BBQ and never really tried anything else until Wright's came along. Holy moly that brisket will melt in your mouth.

The best bet IMHO is to order the Texas Trinity. You get to pick two meats (brisket, pork, smoked chicken, sausage with cheese and jalapenos) and it comes with 2 pork ribs. You also get to pick two sides. Everything is made fresh that day.

They have their own "bakery" as well. They make pies, cakes and cookies fresh each day and all are awesome. On Saturday morning they make huge homemade cinnamon rolls.

It's good stuff rice, you won't be disappointed.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: Where to Eat
« Reply #19001 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »

Lucy's in Rogers if you want food poisoning

Have ate there many times. No problems yet.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jkstock04

Re: Where to Eat
« Reply #19002 on: April 16, 2018, 03:58:44 pm »

If its the one I'm thinking of, its behind the cowboy off of 6th street. It's legit.

You're missing some of the good ones in Springdale like La Sirenita and Don Pedro's
There is no doubt about that...Springdale has all the legit Mexican/Salvadorian restaurants. Fville basically has none other than taco loco and whatever food stand you may find. And I guess this burrito loco. I mainly just don’t like dealing with all the traffic north of Fayetteville.  I’ll have to check out burrito loco. I do like the authentic stuff.

ricepig

« Reply #19003 on: April 16, 2018, 04:00:35 pm »

They have pork too. I grew up in Germantown, so my standard and favorite is The Germantown Commissary. Needless to say...I love pork BBQ and never really tried anything else until Wright's came along. Holy moly that brisket will melt in your mouth.

The best bet IMHO is to order the Texas Trinity. You get to pick two meats (brisket, pork, smoked chicken, sausage with cheese and jalapenos) and it comes with 2 pork ribs. You also get to pick two sides. Everything is made fresh that day.

They have their own "bakery" as well. They make pies, cakes and cookies fresh each day and all are awesome. On Saturday morning they make huge homemade cinnamon rolls.

Ok, sounds good. I usually pick Central over GC, but both are good.

PigWig

« Reply #19004 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:02 pm »

Hmm.....to me, BBQ has always been pork, it's not that beef can't be good, it's just that it usually wasn't.
I spent my grad school years in Kansas City, so BBQ to me has always been burnt ends, ribs, and pork.  With that being said, you have to try the brisket at Wrights.  They have a meal called the Trinity that is a nice sampler, but don't leave that place without at least trying their brisket.  It may be the best beef BBQ I've ever had. 

PigWig

« Reply #19005 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »

Nailed it.

DZ

« Reply #19006 on: April 16, 2018, 05:40:20 pm »

Nailed it.
I've been to 8-9 of the Texas Monthly upper top 50 bbq joints and it is every bit right there with some of those places as far as style, flavor etc. Franklins, La Barbecue, Blacks for example.  I'm not saying its knocking any of those places down the list but you won't find anything else closer to it without going to Austin / south Texas for yourself. Its nothing like the places here like Sassys, Whole Hog, or Penguin Ed's, its the next level.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #19007 on: April 17, 2018, 02:58:00 pm »

Just left Wright’s on recommendations from this thread.  Got the brisket, ribs, and sausage plate.  Ribs were good, sausage was very tasty, but the brisket was the best I’ve had in Arkansas!  I would recommend the regular brisket vs the moist, which was almost too rich to eat!

Next trip I’ll get the 2 meat plate with brisket and sausage.  Thanks to all for the info!

trippigs

« Reply #19008 on: April 17, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »

Headed back to Fayetteville for the Alabama series and will make a point to try Wright’s. Pork prevails but beef brisket is right there if it is done well. Used to have it almost weekly at the Tulsa Petroleum Club back in the early 1980’s. NWA has never been a BBQ mecca which has always puzzled me. Maybe things have changed for the better. Go hogs

stan the man

« Reply #19009 on: April 20, 2018, 09:07:44 pm »

Cotton patch restaurant.  New to Springdale.  Not a bad choice at reasonable prices Hwy 412 next to Lowe’s

Arazorbackguy1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Alive!
« Reply #19010 on: April 21, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »

There should be a stickied thread in all forums on where to eat, drink, and sleep in NW Arkansas

jvanhorn

« Reply #19011 on: April 21, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »

I myself prefer Mama Zs and the Venesian Inn in Tontitown.  Rons Hamburgers and Chili and Dinks BBQUE in Bentonville.  There is also a Slim Chickens on Eddington.  There is the Pavilion Chinese Buffett and a Whataburger on Martin Luther King Drive.  A Steak and Shake down around the Northwest Arkansas Mall.  None of these will bust your wallet and are very good to good places to eat.

haveabeer

« Reply #19012 on: April 21, 2018, 05:19:07 pm »

Drinks in Bentonville has closed unfortunately

haveabeer

« Reply #19013 on: April 21, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »

Meant Dinks dang spellcheck

ricepig

« Reply #19014 on: April 24, 2018, 12:54:49 pm »

I spent my grad school years in Kansas City, so BBQ to me has always been burnt ends, ribs, and pork.  With that being said, you have to try the brisket at Wrights.  They have a meal called the Trinity that is a nice sampler, but don't leave that place without at least trying their brisket.  It may be the best beef BBQ I've ever had. 

Just got through eating at Wright's, the brisket is worth the trip, basically melts in your mouth. The pulled pork was good, but wasn't the best I've ever had. I was there at 11 when they opened and was about 10th in line, about 50 in line when I left and cars steady pulling in.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:54:30 pm by ricepig »

EconHawg

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #19015 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:34 pm »

We should get an EI discount at Wrights, what with all the free advertising they're getting here. They will outgrow that little shack they're in pretty soon as good as the food is. Its always packed.

PigWig

« Reply #19016 on: April 24, 2018, 02:15:49 pm »

Just got through eating at Wright's, the brisket is worth the trip, basically melts in your mouth. The pulled pork was good, but wasn't the best I've ever had. I was there at 11 when they opened and was about 10th in line, about 50 in line when I left and cars steady pulling in.
Glad you got to try it.  That brisket almost reminds me of prime rib in tenderness/juiciness. 

woodhog14

« Reply #19017 on: April 24, 2018, 07:58:19 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it ricepig. I haven't tried the pork yet because I can't get past the brisket and sausage.  :)

ricepig

« Reply #19018 on: April 24, 2018, 09:43:18 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it ricepig. I haven't tried the pork yet because I can't get past the brisket and sausage.  :)
I may try the sausage next time to go along with the brisket, definitely worth a trip to Johnson.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #19019 on: April 24, 2018, 10:58:08 pm »

That’s exactly what I had there today!

jvanhorn

« Reply #19020 on: April 25, 2018, 11:23:58 pm »

Meant Dinks dang spellcheck

Can't tell you how sorry I am to  hear that.

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #19021 on: April 25, 2018, 11:58:23 pm »

I guess you can't personal message anyone any longer?

trippigs

« Reply #19022 on: April 28, 2018, 05:18:32 pm »

Got to Fayetteville for the Alabama game and kept on going straight to Wright’s BBQ.....gotta say the brisket is wonderful with its dark flavorful bark. Had a taste  of 4 sides and all were well above average. The some room to improve the ribs and sausage but they were serviceable. However, as advertised the brisket is pretty amazing. The place was packed with about 20 in line at 1:30....always a good sign for good food. Go ahogs

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In honor of the Hog bats.BIG KNOCK, baby BIG KNOCK
« Reply #19023 on: April 29, 2018, 08:59:50 am »

The Venesian Inn at Tonitown....nothing like pasta with a steak that literally hangs over the edge of your plate. I suggest you be hungry if you decide to eat here, however.

WorfHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • mupwI' tInwI'
« Reply #19024 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:57 am »

Got to Fayetteville for the Alabama game and kept on going straight to Wright’s BBQ.....gotta say the brisket is wonderful with its dark flavorful bark. Had a taste  of 4 sides and all were well above average. The some room to improve the ribs and sausage but they were serviceable. However, as advertised the brisket is pretty amazing. The place was packed with about 20 in line at 1:30....always a good sign for good food. Go ahogs

You just missed me then. We were there from 12:20-1:20 Saturday. I can confirm that it was good!

trippigs

« Reply #19025 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:23 pm »

You just missed me then. We were there from 12:20-1:20 Saturday. I can confirm that it was good!

Cool. One of the staff said a number of ball players ate there... mentioned Blaine Knight

Rudy Baylor

• Hogvillian
  • We're afraid of STP girls Bluto

That's when football season officially begins - when Harps and Walgreen and Neighborhood Market have Athlons and Lindeys and those others magazines

For people like ricepig who live in places without real stores, I don't know when it begins for them

Tejano Jawg

• GO HOGS! BEAT HORNS!

Good point…when the magazines see the light. That was always an exciting feeling, especially when we were good enough to actually make a cover. This year you'll find anything written about the Hogs on page 94.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

They still make magazines?

PossumFan

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I've got a box full of those things dating back to the '60s, my favorites being Dave Campbell's Arkansas Football. It's fun to look back at them from time to time and reminisce about the good ol' days, when offensive tackles were about the size of today's outside linebackers. Once the Internet makes mags obsolete, it just won't be the same.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Semi-retired Eponymous Mod Accountability Manager

Nothing like a nice cold beer or two, a plate of fried catfish with ample fries, hush puppies, and cole slaw and a stack of various preseason football magazines. However, I am not sure there’s a store in Arkansas where one could acquire the beer, good catfish, good fixins, and magazines in one stop. I am very much against any Walgreens catfish.

Discuss.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

Nothing like a nice cold beer or two, a plate of fried catfish with ample fries, hush puppies, and cole slaw and a stack of various preseason football magazines. However, I am not sure there’s a store in Arkansas where one could acquire the beer, good catfish, good fixins, and magazines in one stop. I am very much against any Walgreens catfish.

Discuss.

I don't trust harps enough to let them give me catfish, but harps has a fine grocery store chicken tender and you can get the football magazine for under $30 bucks

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

Phil Steele
In the stores: 6/26/18

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian

I don't trust harps enough to let them give me catfish, but harps has a fine grocery store chicken tender and you can get the football magazine for under $30 bucks

Good info and I agree on the chicken tenders. The Harps in Fiesta Square in Fayetteville used to have decent catfish. Had to catch it fresh from the fryer though around lunchtime. They probably started serving Vietnamese swai now as “catfish”.  South Arkansas Brookshires are likely in the same boat. Hard to trust stores and restaurants that liberally yet vaguely offer “catfish” anymore.

When it comes to catfish, I go where Skandar and Rudy say go. Those two have a full grasp of catfish venues in the state.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

Discuss.
Ravenden Citgo

/thread

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian

Ravenden Citgo

/thread

The old Road Runner in Sheridan used to have good catfish and that’s the only thing keeping me from reporting this to mods. Otherwise, the magazines there were always behind. If it was still opened today, they’d have 1998 athlons for sale as “new”. I think it’s probably a Citgo now serving swai under the claim of Chilean sea bass.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Come to think of it, it may not have been catfish...

Report me.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net

Shell in Ico has good magazines and their tater logs are the best in the state.

MrKnowItAll

Ravenden Citgo

/thread

Do you get gas when you eat there?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Do you get gas when you eat there?
No, but my butt goes to sleep.  I can hear it snoring.

MrKnowItAll

No, but my butt goes to sleep.  I can hear it snoring.

Sounds like a relaxing atmosphere!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Sounds like a relaxing atmosphere!
Oh, it's got atmosphere alright!

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

Ravenden Citgo

/thread

It is Highly Likely that the Ravenden Citgo is not as Good as the Chicken Tender at Harps.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian

It is Highly Likely that the Ravenden Citgo is not as Good as the Chicken Tender at Harps.
I'd have to see your bonafides if you expect me to believe that.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian

Shell in Ico has good magazines and their tater logs are the best in the state.

Good to note for moving the thread forward from a tater log perspective. I still have very low expectations towards anyone claiming to be able to find the new Athlon and Hooten’s guides, a sixer of Bike Rack Urban Trail Ale, and a nice platter of fresh fried farm raised catfish, hush puppies, fries, and cole slaw in the same store.

I fear this search is gonna be just like trying to piecemeal a good, full,  fried chicken dinner together. To do that, you have to go get Church’s chicken, Popeye’s biscuits, Zaxby’s or Slim’s fries, maybe KFC mashed potatoes, and back to Church’s to pick up the corn on the cob and fried okra you forgot. Seems like a pipe dream to get everything in one place.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:12:29 pm by Boardon Hamsay »

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Good to note for moving the thread forward from a tater log perspective. I still have very low expectations towards anyone claiming to be able to find the new Athlon and Hooten’s guides, a sixer of Bike Rack Urban Trail Ale, and a nice platter of fresh fried farm raised catfish, hush puppies, fries, and cold slaw in the same store.

I fear this search is gonna be just like trying to piecemeal a good, full,  fried chicken dinner together. To do that, you have to go get Church’s chicken, Popeye’s biscuits, Zaxby’s or Slim’s fries, maybe KFC mashed potatoes, and back to Church’s to pick up the corn on the cob and fried okra you forgot. Seems like a pipe dream to get everything in one place.....
Cold slaw ???   Will the real Boardon Hamsay please step forward.  I think this guy is an impoaster!

Cold slaw...   ::)  Exhibit A   >:(

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian

Cold slaw ???   Will the real Boardon Hamsay please step forward.  I think this guy is an impoaster!

Cold slaw...   ::)  Exhibit A   >:(

я виправив це

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net

я виправив це

That’s what she said.........

ricepig

Ravenden Citgo

/thread

Second only to the Dairy King in Portia.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian

Second only to the Dairy King in Portia.

And third to the Conoco in Jasper.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 380 [381] 382   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas