• 395,493 Topics
• 22,304 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bring Back Divisions in the SEC!  (Read 1962 times)

redleg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Bring Back Divisions in the SEC!
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:09:25 pm »

I do not like the fact that the SEC did away with divisions in men's basketball. They claimed it was to get more teams into the NCAA Tourney, and be more equitable with seeding in the SEC Tournament by team record.
I call bull$#!* on that!
Division titles were just one more championship these players had to play for every season. As for the seeding in the SEC Tourney? It's really simple. Go ahead and seed the teams according to conference record, regardless of whether or not they won the division.
Example: If Arkansas won the SEC West with a record of 12-6, but the top three teams in the SEC East finished with better conference records, then Arkansas is the 4 seed in the SEC Tourney.
See how simple that was?!  :o
Plus...it would easily provide for a 20 game conference slate! 2 games versus division foes each (12), 1 game versus 6 of 7 opposing division teams (6), and 2 games versus a designated opposing division team = 20 games! For Arkansas, the obvious choice would be Mizzou.  ;D

Bring back division play! The Hogs would have won the West a few times over the last five seasons if they had kept it!

mhsbc59

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
Re: Bring Back Divisions in the SEC!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:20:49 pm »

i agree

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:00:32 pm »

During the time it was changed the west sucked and you ended up doomed to 8 low rpi games on your resume.

Arazorbackguy1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Alive!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:10:24 am »

Well, the SEC had more teams in the tourney than ever this year. How do you argue against that?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 07:19:02 am »

During the time it was changed the west sucked and you ended up doomed to 8 low rpi games on your resume.

The reason it was changed is because the Eastern schools were pitching and moaning about having to play Kentucky twice every year when the Western schools didn't have to. They also didn't like it that the West Champion and West #2 got a bye when there were East teams with better records.

I agree that they need to go back to Division play in basketball.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 07:36:03 am »

I agree.  I did not think it helped satisfy what they wanted.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 08:38:00 am »

The reason it was changed is because the Eastern schools were pitching and moaning about having to play Kentucky twice every year when the Western schools didn't have to. They also didn't like it that the West Champion and West #2 got a bye when there were East teams with better records.

I agree that they need to go back to Division play in basketball.

Good ole guv with partial and selective memory. Yes seeding in the tournament was a factor. Why should a 7 loss West or East team get a seeding in the tournament over a 4 loss team from the East or West?? I personally want to see the best teams in the league be rewarded and get the best path to the finals.

There was also the perception of the league. When a whole division in your league is bad there can still be 7 good teams in your league but criticism is far less when it is perceived as being the bottom of your league instead of a whole division.

"The perception of the league has been that if one division was playing well, the other was getting criticized,'' Foley said. "That can't be pointed out anymore. We're hoping this will have traction for us going forward.''

Five of the six teams in the SEC East (Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Georgia) all received NCAA berths in March while none of the SEC West teams received a bid.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:40:10 pm by k.c.hawg »

J-Five

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:53:44 pm »

Well, the SEC had more teams in the tourney than ever this year. How do you argue against that?

THIS

latrops

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 02:06:53 pm »

No thanks.  It wouldn't bother me if they did go back to the divisional format, but I do not see much of a point in it.  I personally don't put much value in a divisional title.  An actual SEC title (reg season or tournament) and NCAAT seeding and runs are what matter.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 07:05:36 pm »

No thanks.  It wouldn't bother me if they did go back to the divisional format, but I do not see much of a point in it.  I personally don't put much value in a divisional title.  An actual SEC title (reg season or tournament) and NCAAT seeding and runs are what matter.
i donít know a divisional title in football seems pretty huge. Whatís the difference?

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 07:44:57 pm »

Guess I am not understanding what winning the "west" would garner if we go back to divisions, if you are going to reseed everyone for the tourney. Ya we won the west!!!!! BUT we are a four seed in the SEC tourney...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:41 pm »

i donít know a divisional title in football seems pretty huge. Whatís the difference?

Oh my!! Well lets see and then you tell me.

What seems like a bigger accomplishment to you?

Finishing above:

Alabama
Auburn
LSU
TAM
Mississippi
Mississippi St

In football or basketball. One gets you a spot in the championship game in the preeminent conference in the history of college football. The other gets you a 1 seed in a basketball conference that is in the middle of the pack. If you don't understand the history of the SEC and what it stands for I can understand, otherwise this was just a country dumb question. 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 09:41:29 am »

There ain't no tournament at the end of football season.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 03:56:48 pm »

This would fix a lot of scheduling issues. We have played Florida 7 times in the last 4 years. Only once has the game been in Fayetteville and twice the game was in the conference tournament, meaning over the last four years we have had to go to Gainesville four times. One the other hand, Vanderbilt has had to come to Bud Walton four times over the last four years and we've only had to go to Nashville once. This is a ridiculous and unsustainable scheduling format. I don't have the time or the want-to to figure out which team has had to go to Rupp four years in a row and only had Kentucky come to their place once, but that puts that poor team at a huge statistical disadvantage.

Playing in the league without divisions was fine when the SEC was at 12 teams, but it simply doesn't work now. If fans would actually go look at the way the schedule is set up, there would be a mob outside of Greg Sankey's office in Birmingham. Divisions are either needed or we need to do away with this ridiculous "permanent rivals" BS and just rotate the home-and-homes.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 04:18:57 pm »

This would fix a lot of scheduling issues. We have played Florida 7 times in the last 4 years. Only once has the game been in Fayetteville and twice the game was in the conference tournament, meaning over the last four years we have had to go to Gainesville four times. One the other hand, Vanderbilt has had to come to Bud Walton four times over the last four years and we've only had to go to Nashville once. This is a ridiculous and unsustainable scheduling format. I don't have the time or the want-to to figure out which team has had to go to Rupp four years in a row and only had Kentucky come to their place once, but that puts that poor team at a huge statistical disadvantage.

Playing in the league without divisions was fine when the SEC was at 12 teams, but it simply doesn't work now. If fans would actually go look at the way the schedule is set up, there would be a mob outside of Greg Sankey's office in Birmingham. Divisions are either needed or we need to do away with this ridiculous "permanent rivals" BS and just rotate the home-and-homes.

So much for my tough guy "I don't have the time or want to" comment. I looked it up, Georgia has had to go play at Rupp four years in a row and Kentucky only came to Stegeman once. Absolutely bananas. I've tried my darnedest to find an official scheduling templet that explains this phenomena. This, sadly, is the closest thing that I could find.

http://www.secsports.com/article/12970797/sec-men-basketball-schedule-format-announced

LR_Matt

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:39 pm »

We canít beat UK to win the SEC outright so you want a participation trophy for winning the west.... WOW! Silliest thing Iíve read on here in a very long time.

MountieDawg

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 06:29:14 am »

I do not like the fact that the SEC did away with divisions in men's basketball. They claimed it was to get more teams into the NCAA Tourney, and be more equitable with seeding in the SEC Tournament by team record.
I call bull$#!* on that!
Division titles were just one more championship these players had to play for every season. As for the seeding in the SEC Tourney? It's really simple. Go ahead and seed the teams according to conference record, regardless of whether or not they won the division.
Example: If Arkansas won the SEC West with a record of 12-6, but the top three teams in the SEC East finished with better conference records, then Arkansas is the 4 seed in the SEC Tourney.
Plus...it would easily provide for a 20 game conference slate! 2 games versus division foes each (12), 1 game versus 6 of 7 opposing division teams (6), and 2 games versus a designated opposing division team = 20 games! For Arkansas, the obvious choice would be Mizzou.  ;D

Bring back division play! The Hogs would have won the West a few times over the last five seasons if they had kept it!

So you just think everyone deserves a trophy. 

Captain Morgan

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 07:40:04 pm »

So you just think everyone deserves a trophy.

When over a 7 year period..  there is nothing of note won...  then We find excuses to find one.

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 08:25:17 pm »

In basketball, every team plays each other at least once in a round robin format. There's no need for it. It's not like football where you need divisions because you can't play every team in your conference and need a conference title game in case two of the top teams tie for first place without ever playing in the reg season (Alabama and UGA in 2012).

Having divisions in College Basketball is pointless.

latrops

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 09:50:04 pm »

The divisional title  in football means quite a bit because it probably means you are in the national championship picture.  Winning a regular season divisional title in basketball means relatively little with a conference tournament and NCAAT to follow.  It isn't a bad thing to win...It just doesn't really mean much.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 10:16:50 am »

Everybody want a trophy.   Hang the SEC West Championship banner right next to the NCAA championship from 1994.  Why not go to 4 divisions, with two only having 3 teams.  Put us with Mizzu and A&M.   We could really win a championship then!!!!!  We could warm up to Queen's "We will rock you", leading in to "We are the champions". 

Some of you people are soft. No knife needed, just use a fork to cut through your butter like asses.

logic

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:38 am »

We never had that many with divisions so that is proof enough that we don't need divisions.

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 07:52:07 am »

I call bull$#!* on that!

So basically, you want divisions for the sake of a trophy.  Instead of one trophy, make it two.  More trophies. 

I would personal like keep it this way for hoops and actually get rid of divisions for football.  Top 2 teams play for the conference title.  At least this way, you can play each team twice in a 4 year period (in football). 

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 12:57:11 pm »

i support bringing back the divisions

Captain Morgan

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 12:59:42 pm »

i support bringing back the divisions

You must have liked getting those 3rd place ribbins as a kid. Divisions in basketball are like winning nothing. All it does is give meaningless ammo to the program being average. It is what it is...

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 09:00:18 pm »

You must have liked getting those 3rd place ribbins as a kid. Divisions in basketball are like winning nothing. All it does is give meaningless ammo to the program being average. It is what it is...

unlike

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 09:13:24 pm »

We canít beat UK to win the SEC outright so you want a participation trophy for winning the west.... WOW! Silliest thing Iíve read on here in a very long time.

Why don't you ask the players how they feel about it while they flash their SEC West Division championship ring in your face?

Captain Morgan

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 12:18:10 am »

Why don't you ask the players how they feel about it while they flash their SEC West Division championship ring in your face?

They didn't get rings for that anyways. Just a banner to put up in the hallway right next to our preseason titles like Old Spice Classic Tournament Championship

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 09:41:27 am »

Well, you better go tell Corliss and Scotty that their West rings aren't real. It's not like I haven't seen them, or anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas