• 9,933,674 Posts
• 399,428 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Khalil Garland  (Read 17483 times)

yraciv

Khalil Garland
« on: April 13, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »

Is in New Jersey today for what appears to be updates on his medical status.

Tune into his twitter for updates. Can't say I feel good about the GIF he posted an hour ago.

raz1965

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Khalil Garland
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 03:40:38 pm »

Certainly Hope he gets a  good update.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogdomer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:45:28 pm »

Is in New Jersey today for what appears to be updates on his medical status.

Tune into his twitter for updates. Can't say I feel good about the GIF he posted an hour ago.

Agreed.  Bad sign.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »

Prayers for that young man.

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »

Agreed.  Bad sign.

This should surprise no one. The differential for a cardiac complaint that could decommission a young college athlete for a year is extremely limited and almost always takes the person out of sports for life.

wpswillriseagain

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:31:34 pm »

Donít want to overread the gif but it is the second gif when you search ďdisappointedĒ

ADavisTheGOAT

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:58:04 pm »

I'm disappointed we'll probably never see KG play a minute for us.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:30:53 pm »

it stinks if we he doesnt get to live his dream.  but that stuff happens.  if the kid can have a healthy long life whether he plays a minute of basketball.  Then the kid is and should be thankful.  There are lots that didnt listen and died because they felt theyd be OK to play anyway.  Thankful he caught it early enough to know that he'll be alright as long as he doesnt push it.  It sucks for us razorbacks fans.  but it is what it is if it turns out that way.  i was hoping he'd get cleared, and who knows, we'll see.   but, i think he's done.  just have to go after someone else, and there are a lot of instate players with a lot of talent in the coming years we could use his schollie on.  Prayers for KG.  still hope he somehow can get cleared, but iff not, prayers that he can refocus and have a long healthy life without sports. 

ArBasketball94

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:36:32 am »

I have a solid source within the program that told me he didn't get cleared today

King Kong

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 04:58:49 am »

I have a solid source within the program that told me he didn't get cleared today

Was this his last shot? Or will they re-evaluate later

hoglady

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:09:49 am »

I love this kid.
While looking at that Twitter link above - he's got a tweet that says "ya'll think Lebron would last in this era" and then a video of hard fouls and fights back from the time of Jordan, Bird, Ewing and the Detroit bad boys. You paid when you took it to the hole back then.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 08:08:23 am »

Not surprised by this at all.

ArBasketball94

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:33:20 am »

Was this his last shot? Or will they re-evaluate later
I didn't ask but I will.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:35 am »

I love this kid.
While looking at that Twitter link above - he's got a tweet that says "ya'll think Lebron would last in this era" and then a video of hard fouls and fights back from the time of Jordan, Bird, Ewing and the Detroit bad boys. You paid when you took it to the hole back then.

I knew I liked this kid.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 10:54:28 am »

I've not confirmed what is being foretold on this thread, but before he got to the UA it was a gamble that he would ever be cleared.
The hope was there but reality was going to be hard to overcome.
That being said, you always hope for the best.

mhuff

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 11:41:47 am »

Still hoping

nwahogfan1

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 07:29:44 am »

Sorry to hear if true.  The good thing I assume is he will go on medical hardship and he can finish his degree.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 10:53:47 am »

I cut out the Jordan, Lebron, and all that stuff and put it in general sports under NBA if you wanna continue that conversation.  Wanna try to keep this one on Garland. 

Hog_Swanson

• WWWWD?
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:24 am »

I cut out the Jordan, Lebron, and all that stuff and put it in general sports under NBA if you wanna continue that conversation.  Wanna try to keep this one on Garland.
See that, showing your worth already this morning. ;D

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:33 pm »

thanks! I was part of that tangent. my apologies
I pray that he finds where he needs to be in life, even if that's as far away from basketball as possible.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:46 pm »

thanks! I was part of that tangent. my apologies
I pray that he finds where he needs to be in life, even if that's as far away from basketball as possible.

Wasn't a big deal.  Usually that kind of stuff I just delete but I thought there was enough interest that I just separated it out and put in general sports in case someone wanted to continue the conversation. 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 05:15:43 pm »

Can I compare Garland to Wes Welker ???

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 12:25:26 pm »

This latest round of uncertainty is troubling. How long does this play out? Is there still reasonable hope? If there is a medically significant possibility that he is completely cleared I'll continue to hope because I want to see this Arkansas kid get to fulfill his dream of playing D1 ball for his home state, especially when he could have easily gone elsewhere.

It's an expectation of the worst outcome that I have learned over the years of following the Hogs, the basketball and football gods have never favored us. Things we are entitled to enjoy are often snatched away by capricious fate. But I'll keep believing until that door is slammed shut. Prayers for Khalil.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 02:10:48 pm »

Things we are entitled to enjoy are often snatched away by capricious fate.

Why are we ENTITLED to enjoy these things?

I just hope KG lives a long productive life, whether he plays basketball again or not.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 04:55:52 pm »

I just hope KG lives a long productive life, whether he plays basketball again or not.

Same here. His life is bigger than basketball and if he can't play it will devastate him a lot more than it would me. Just saying that if there is an equal chance for a good or bad outcome Hog fans get more than their fair share of disappointments. If I wasn't clear in my previous comments, my concern for Khalil as a person trumps my wishes for the basketball team. Same as when RWIII faced his choice, I was glad when he chose to walk away even though I hated to see the team take a hit because RWIII was an obvious talent just like Khalil.

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »

This latest round of uncertainty is troubling. How long does this play out? Is there still reasonable hope? If there is a medically significant possibility that he is completely cleared I'll continue to hope because I want to see this Arkansas kid get to fulfill his dream of playing D1 ball for his home state, especially when he could have easily gone elsewhere.

It's an expectation of the worst outcome that I have learned over the years of following the Hogs, the basketball and football gods have never favored us. Things we are entitled to enjoy are often snatched away by capricious fate. But I'll keep believing until that door is slammed shut. Prayers for Khalil.
Wasn't he committed to Memphis at one time? Not trying to pick here, but don't think he was a kid who grew up wanting to play for the Razorbacks but then commits to Memphis, and only changed when  Pastner left.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:03 pm »

Wasn't he committed to Memphis at one time? Not trying to pick here, but don't think he was a kid who grew up wanting to play for the Razorbacks but then commits to Memphis, and only changed when  Pastner left.
uhh no

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 10:02:27 pm »

uhh no

I think he was committed to Memphis at one point though. 

jboler96

• Band Nerd
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:22 pm »

He was.

Hawg Red

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 10:25:09 pm »

uhh no

Yeah, man, he was absolutely a Memphis commit until Pastner left. Itís a fact.

songofthesword

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 10:21:11 pm »

he commited to tubby smith not pastner

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »

because we are LIFE: a miracle, and we are all entitled to the hapiness and bounty of Earth- although our current evil economic system prevents that.

Dillon23

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 03:08:28 pm »

Does anyone know what the time frame is on a decision?  I wouldn't think that this limbo could last into next season.  His scholarship will be honored no matter what, but I would think that MA would need to know his status ASAP.

hawgball40

• #wps4life
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »

Does anyone know what the time frame is on a decision?  I wouldn't think that this limbo could last into next season.  His scholarship will be honored no matter what, but I would think that MA would need to know his status ASAP.
2 weeks? https://twitter.com/khalilgarland3/status/988426486263709699

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 12:25:15 pm »

it stinks if we he doesnt get to live his dream.  but that stuff happens.  if the kid can have a healthy long life whether he plays a minute of basketball.  Then the kid is and should be thankful.  There are lots that didnt listen and died because they felt theyd be OK to play anyway.  Thankful he caught it early enough to know that he'll be alright as long as he doesnt push it.  It sucks for us razorbacks fans.  but it is what it is if it turns out that way.  i was hoping he'd get cleared, and who knows, we'll see.   but, i think he's done.  just have to go after someone else, and there are a lot of instate players with a lot of talent in the coming years we could use his schollie on.  Prayers for KG.  still hope he somehow can get cleared, but iff not, prayers that he can refocus and have a long healthy life without sports.
I'm thinking a kid with that ability would want to risk playing if he could.  Doctors won't let that happen though I'm sure. 

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 05:21:06 pm »

I'm thinking a kid with that ability would want to risk playing if he could.  Doctors won't let that happen though I'm sure.
uou have been a horrible poster forever and this just tops it off, please stop posting

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 10:25:43 am »

uou have been a horrible poster forever and this just tops it off, please stop posting
I'll pass.  Not saying the kid should play I'm saying I bet he wants to and a kid would probably risk it because most kids think they are invincible.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 03:10:06 pm »

If he wants to play, it's his life. Literally.
Ultimately it's his decision. No one can force you to do something against your will. (in this case, sit)

However...in this case, let's say for supposing that Garland does want to play. The UA then has to determine how protected they are, and their doctors. How many forms would Garland's family have to sign to remove all liability from the UA? And in this day and age, it seems even having all i's dotted and t's crossed still doesn't prevent someone from trying to sue, unfortunately. Considering that, the UA could decide there aren't enough disclaimers to sign that makes them feel comfortable from all liability claims, so therefore you can not play as a Razorback. If you want to play, it would have to be somewhere else, and we'll release you.

It will be interesting how it plays out.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:27 pm »

I feel pretty sure that there is no way he sets foot on the court unless doctors clear him. If they say no and he plays anyway...if something happens no amount legal work will protect UA from the negative PR not the mention the liability.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 03:50:03 pm »

I feel pretty sure that there is no way he sets foot on the court unless doctors clear him. If they say no and he plays anyway...if something happens no amount legal work will protect UA from the negative PR not the mention the liability.

No team, institution, pro team that is protected by an insurance provider is ever allowing that kid to play if Dr's do not clear him because the insurance company is never going to sign off on it.

Hog_Swanson

• WWWWD?
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 04:16:26 pm »

I agree with his statement on this.  If the kid wants to sign a waiver, let him play.  It's his life.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:10 pm »

I agree with his statement on this.  If the kid wants to sign a waiver, let him play.  It's his life.

This isn't a signing a waiver event. You are talking healthy guy, putting on a parachute and jumping out of a plane. This is a University that brings in players to represent the school in athletic competition. Their insurance company requires that said athletes undergo a physical to make sure they are healthy enough to stand up to the rigors of the sport. During the physical a life threatening condition is discovered. You"Do Not" then offer the kid the right to sign off on the University's liability should he die in competition so he go play while you know it is not in his best interest!!! That does not excuse you, your Dr's and your insurance company. It is like letting a depressed person sign a waiver to walk across your damn gun range with all lanes firing. It's his life to go play pick up ball, not for you to charge 18,000 people $$$ to watch him perform and potentially die in front of an audience, knowing he has a potential deadly condition.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 11:32:52 pm »

This isn't a signing a waiver event. You are talking healthy guy, putting on a parachute and jumping out of a plane. This is a University that brings in players to represent the school in athletic competition. Their insurance company requires that said athletes undergo a physical to make sure they are healthy enough to stand up to the rigors of the sport. During the physical a life threatening condition is discovered. You"Do Not" then offer the kid the right to sign off on the University's liability should he die in competition so he go play while you know it is not in his best interest!!! That does not excuse you, your Dr's and your insurance company. It is like letting a depressed person sign a waiver to walk across your damn gun range with all lanes firing. It's his life to go play pick up ball, not for you to charge 18,000 people $$$ to watch him perform and potentially die in front of an audience, knowing he has a potential deadly condition.

The fact that you even have to spell it out is absurd.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 06:55:24 am »

I agree that the school shouldn't offer Garland a waiver if he is not medically cleared but if Garland and his family insist on signing a waiver removing the U of A from all responsibility so Garland can play, that's on them. It's his life and he and the family have the right to do that if they want to. I don't believe he should but it's his and his family's decision to make.

The Hogfather

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Have you BOOFED yet?
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 08:13:50 am »

I understand all of the liability issues, but I really believe the person with the potential deadly condition should be able to make decisions like this.  As long as the institution has made them aware of the dangers and they sign a form releasing the institution from liability, I think the player should be able to make the final decision.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 08:36:27 am »

Itís his life though. He should be able to make his own decision on how to live it.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 09:39:04 am »

Itís his life though. He should be able to make his own decision on how to live it.

Yes but a University that fields sports teams for the sole purpose of gaining publicity and brand recognition as an institution of higher learning, should not provide a platform for a player to potentially die for that purpose, knowing he has a life threatening condition. If someone walks into my restaurant and tells me I've got a peanut allergy and the Dr told me I will die if I eat anything with peanuts but I feel lucky today, so I'm going to write you permission to fix me a dish with peanuts.......as a chef/owner I will be found complicit in their death if I fix them that dish and they die. Not to mention the fact I have done irreparable harm to my business, with my diners watching a person die over the food I fixed them and with the never ending publicity that surrounds it.  He will not play for the University until a Dr or a group of Dr's, clears him to do so. And cardiologists aren't putting their livelihood and reputation on the line so someone can play a game if they aren't fit to do so.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 10:42:16 am »

Yes but a University that fields sports teams for the sole purpose of gaining publicity and brand recognition as an institution of higher learning, should not provide a platform for a player to potentially die for that purpose, knowing he has a life threatening condition. If someone walks into my restaurant and tells me I've got a peanut allergy and the Dr told me I will die if I eat anything with peanuts but I feel lucky today, so I'm going to write you permission to fix me a dish with peanuts.......as a chef/owner I will be found complicit in their death if I fix them that dish and they die. Not to mention the fact I have done irreparable harm to my business, with my diners watching a person die over the food I fixed them and with the never ending publicity that surrounds it.  He will not play for the University until a Dr or a group of Dr's, clears him to do so. And cardiologists aren't putting their livelihood and reputation on the line so someone can play a game if they aren't fit to do so.

This should settle the issue but I'm sure it won't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas